PDA

View Full Version : China Launches Manned Space Mission

ys
Oct 15th, 2003, 01:32 AM
That's the first time China makes a big statement in this kind of area.
With their plans for manned Moon landing by 2010 in development, the space leadership could be quickly slipping away from US and Russia..

korben
Oct 15th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Well done China. Got bronze in this contest.

Sam L
Oct 15th, 2003, 01:35 AM
That's the first time China makes a big statement in this kind of area.
With their plans for manned Moon landing by 2010 in development, the space leadership could be quickly slipping away from US and Russia..
I heard about this. But don't count on Chinese to be taking over the Americans and Europeans anytime soon. They're already planning manned missions to Mars!

ys
Oct 15th, 2003, 01:39 AM
I heard about this. But don't count on Chinese to be taking over the Americans and Europeans anytime soon. They're already planning manned missions to Mars!

What??? There will be no big manned missions from NASA/ESA/RSA in the next 20 years for sure. But putting a man on the Moon China will take over leadership. One thing is repeating something that Russians and Americans do few times an year. Another thing is to do something no one has done for half a century and has no financial capacity to do any time soon.

Cybelle Darkholme
Oct 15th, 2003, 01:55 AM
Does this mean that astronauts can now order chinese while in orbit?

Sam L
Oct 15th, 2003, 02:00 AM
What??? There will be no big manned missions from NASA/ESA/RSA in the next 20 years for sure. But putting a man on the Moon China will take over leadership. One thing is repeating something that Russians and Americans do few times an year. Another thing is to do something no one has done for half a century and has no financial capacity to do any time soon.
Not from what I heard. They're planning manned Mars mission in 2014. I don't know, I might have read it wrong, I'll look into it. And going to moon by China doesn't make it a leader, but it does put them on equal footing with the Americans/Europeans.

The bottomline is, it doesn't matter who goes back to the moon, someone has to, because our work there isn't done yet.

Sam L
Oct 15th, 2003, 02:01 AM
Does this mean that astronauts can now order chinese while in orbit?
So where do I sign up for Cybelle School of Comedy? :lol:

ys
Oct 15th, 2003, 02:27 AM
Not from what I heard. They're planning manned Mars mission in 2014. I don't know, I might have read it wrong, I'll look into it.

From what I know, there was a project of doing it , but the price tag for that was given closer to trillion of dollars and no country can afford that.

And going to moon by China doesn't make it a leader, but it does put them on equal footing with the Americans/Europeans.

It does make China a leader, because it would make China the only country capable of that.

The bottomline is, it doesn't matter who goes back to the moon, someone has to, because our work there isn't done yet.

Different ones could have different agendas.

Sam L
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:00 AM
You know what, ys, I'm such an idiot sometimes. I read/heard wrongly that China was putting a man on the moon. That's why my moon comment before. LOL! They're just putting an astronaut in space, aren't they? Anyway, I'm reading a new article from Sciam about missions to Mars, looks like you're right there might not be any manned missions to Mars in the near future. Unfortunately. :sad:

alexusjonesfan
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:44 AM
From what I know, there was a project of doing it , but the price tag for that was given closer to trillion of dollars and no country can afford that.

obviously, with all the wars that need to be fought and what not :D

ys
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:52 AM
obviously, with all the wars that need to be fought and what not :D

You see, when talking to "electorate", you can convince them that a war is needed, but it is much harder to convince them that deep space exploration is needed at all.

Sam L
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:03 AM
You see, when talking to "electorate", you can convince them that a war is needed, but it is much harder to convince them that deep space exploration is needed at all.
Not if there's a 10KM wide asteroid heading our way.

Or if there's useful natural resources on asteroids/planets that would increase our standards of living.

- The bottomline is both are plausible scenarios. Politicians are just lazy, they just want to go the normal conservative routes. And voters/people in general are lazy too. Most don't care about what's out there.

wongqks
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:29 AM
it is another milestones China has achieved, all the chinese people are very proud right now :)

ys
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:06 AM
Not if there's a 10KM wide asteroid heading our way.

Or if there's useful natural resources on asteroids/planets that would increase our standards of living.

- The bottomline is both are plausible scenarios. Politicians are just lazy, they just want to go the normal conservative routes. And voters/people in general are lazy too. Most don't care about what's out there.

Only totalitarian state where government does not give a flying fuck about people and can simply allocate human and material resources without asking, can do that.

That is the advantage of all tyrranies - they don't have to ask their people for approval, because there is no elections, and they don't have to think about media - because they control media. So they can really do whatever they want, and brainwashed proles will be happy to wave national flags and will be proud.

And there is only one major totalitarian state left in the world - China.

Sam L
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:10 AM
And there is only one major totalitarian state left in the world - China.

Um, I'm not that an expert in politics but as far as I know, I thought China was that totalitarian anymore. There's a lot more individual choice now I believe. Anyway, even if it is. I don't expect the Chinese government to be undertaking such projects, not before the Americans anyway. The Americans will do it, just to be first if anything.

ys
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:19 AM
Um, I'm not that an expert in politics but as far as I know, I thought China was not that totalitarian anymore. There's a lot more individual choice now I believe.

Ever heard of any kind of political freedom in China? Ever heard of free press over there? Elections? Ever heard of Tian An Men? Ever heard of Falun Gong? They are maybe less totalitarian than former USSR, but they are way more totalitarian than Nazist Germany of 1939. It is still a cruel communist state which will use tanks and army against any kind of opposition with no hestitation.

China is potentially the most dangerous country in the world. They are big, powerful, growing, hungry and totalitarian. Potentially, all islamists taken together with Osama and Saddam are not nearly as dangerous as China can be. Check North Korea, they are the same communist nuts. Only China is 100 times bigger and pretending to develop economic freedom. But once they grow economically enough, they will show their teeth.

Anyway, even if it is. I don't expect the Chinese government to be undertaking such projects, not before the Americans anyway. The Americans will do it, just to be first if anything.

No, Americans simply can not do that at this point. It will kill economy. Economy will have to be prepared for that. All social programs will have to be taken out, then, maybe US will be able to find a trillion for that. But the president who'd do that will lose elections.

Couver
Oct 16th, 2003, 05:42 AM
I think for astronomy as a science this mission was awesome. It's good to see so many countries taking an interest in astronomy. A science IMO that is totally overlooked.