PDA

View Full Version : 'Delovely' pics: Sheryl Crow, Vivian Green, Alanis Morissette, Robbie Williams

Hot 92 Jamz
Oct 14th, 2003, 05:33 AM
"De-lovely", a film about songwriter Cole Porter starring Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd, will feature performances by an eclectic group of singers.

Many Porter tunes were ablaze with sophistication, wit, sexy double meanings, clever rhymes within rhymes and melodies and chord progressions so hypnotic that many jazz and cabaret artists are still performing them: Easy to Love, Night and Day, Anything Goes, What Is This Thing Called Love, Dream Dancing, I Love Paris, I've Got You Under My Skin, Let's Do It (Let's Fall in Love), You're the Top, Love for Sale and many more.

"We have 30 to 40 songs in the movie, and we constructed the script so that the musical numbers advance the plot and the characters, covering the whole soul of the man," Winkler says.

"The Cole Porter Estate and the Cole Porter Trust were interested in introducing his music to a younger audience for the long-range benefit of the catalog."

Roberta Staats, executive director of the Cole Porter Trust, says the movie might just do the trick. "I was lucky enough to go out and watch it when Elvis Costello was on the set," she says. "It was incredible. Sheryl Crow does a very different version of Begin the Beguine. It's going to be a unique movie and a fun movie to watch."

Porter wouldn't mind the modern musical touches of the new versions, which also features Alanis Morissette, Lara Fabian, Robbie Williams, Diana Krall, Natalie Cole, Vivian Green and Mick Hucknall.

Kimball says. "Cole Porter was very responsive to what was going on around him. Had he lived longer I'm sure he would have reflected that in his work."

Rtael
Oct 14th, 2003, 05:51 AM
When is this coming out? I would love to see it! Especially with Alanis!

SerialKiller#69
Oct 14th, 2003, 09:52 AM
I've read somewhere that Alanis will be dancing and singing.

*reminisces So Pure*

doloresc
Oct 14th, 2003, 12:18 PM
"Many Porter tunes were ablaze with sophistication, wit, sexy double meanings, clever rhymes within rhymes and melodies and chord progressions so hypnotic that many jazz and cabaret artists are still performing them: Easy to Love, Night and Day, Anything Goes, What Is This Thing Called Love, Dream Dancing, I Love Paris, I've Got You Under My Skin, Let's Do It (Let's Fall in Love), You're the Top, Love for Sale and many more.

cole porter or no cole porter, those are some of my favorite songs of all time, especially "night and day" and "you're the top".

"We have 30 to 40 songs in the movie, and we constructed the script so that the musical numbers advance the plot and the characters, covering the whole soul of the man," Winkler says.

30 to 40 songs? i can't wait to see the film. :D i hope it's better than peter bogdanavich's "at long last love" from 1975. it's a step in the right direction that that musically-inclined kevin kline heads the cast.

"The Cole Porter Estate and the Cole Porter Trust were interested in introducing his music to a younger audience for the long-range benefit of the catalog."

this is a great idea. the younger generation may or may not care for the original arrangements but maybe seeing these songs performed by some of their favorites will garner interest in mr. porter's songs.

Porter wouldn't mind the modern musical touches of the new versions, which also features Alanis Morissette, Lara Fabian, Robbie Williams, Diana Krall, Natalie Cole, Vivian Green and Mick Hucknall.

diana krall and natalie cole. now those names i recognize. :)

Come-on-kim
Oct 14th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Lara Fabian :hearts: :worship:

doloresc
Oct 14th, 2003, 04:27 PM
i've had mr. porter's songs in my head all morning. "now heaven knows, anything goes", "when they begin the beguine", "it's friendship, friendship, just a perfect blendship"... :o

When is this coming out? I would love to see it! Especially with Alanis!

i don't know when the film is being released but here is information that i found online. [diana krall fans: she sings 2 songs in the film :) ]

dc
----------------

http://romanticmovies.about.com/cs/upcomingreleases/a/justonenews.htm

Los Angeles, CA - May 29, 2003

A stellar line-up of top pop talent has been added to the cast of MGM Pictures' "De-Lovely" (formerly titled "Just One of Those Things"), a big-screen musical portrait of American songwriter Cole Porter. In the film, Elvis Costello, Sheryl Crow, Vivian Green, Diana Krall, Alanis Morissette and Robbie Williams will sing and dance their way through some of Porter's best-loved songs, with additional performers to be announced at a later date.

"These are some of the world's top musical talents," says Irwin Winkler, the film's director.

"We're thrilled to have them in our film. By lending their voices to some of the most spectacular music ever written, we'll be able to introduce the genius of Cole Porter to a whole new generation of fans."

"'Just One of Those Things' is unlike any musical seen in recent time," says producer Rob Cowan. "With complex characters and situations for the actors to explore, amazing costumes and choreography, and Porter's terrific music to drive the narrative forward -- the result is moving and exciting."

In the film, Morissette will sing and dance "Let's Do It, Let's Fall in Love," Crow will croon "Begin the Beguine," and Williams will put his stamp on "It's De-Lovely." Costello performs "Let's Misbehave" while Vivian Green sings "Love for Sale." Jazz stylist Krall performs two Porter numbers: "I Get a Kick Out of You" and the title tune, "Just One of Those Things." In addition to the musical artists, actor Kevin Kline (starring as Cole Porter) will perform 14 numbers, including a duet of "In the Still of the Night" with co-star Ashley Judd (as Porter's wife, Linda). Judd sings other songs as well, including "True Love." The soundtrack to the film will be released by Sony Music.

Production began on the film May 5, 2003. Starring Academy Award(R)-winner Kline and Judd, Oscar(R)-winning producer Winkler is directing the film from a script by Jay Cocks ("Gangs of New York"). Jonathan Pryce also stars. Winkler, Rob Cowan, and Charles Winkler are producing, with Simon Channing Williams and Gail Egan as executive producers. The film is being shot in international locations.

In "De-Lovely," Porter looks back on his life as if it was one of his spectacular stage shows, with the people and events of his life becoming the actors and action on a stage. Through elaborate production numbers and popular hits like "Anything Goes," "It's De-Lovely," and "Night and Day," Porter's elegant, excessive past comes to light -- including his deeply complicated relationship with his wife and muse, Linda Lee Porter. "De-Lovely" is a sparkling celebration of Porter's music as well as a stirring exploration of the artist's journey and the undying power of love.

Hot 92 Jamz
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Well the movie finally came out and here are some pics.

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/mgm/de_lovely/sheryl_crow/lovely2.jpg

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/mgm/de_lovely/vivian_green/lovely2.jpg

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/mgm/de_lovely/alanis_morissette/lovely3.jpg

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/mgm/de_lovely/robbie_williams/lovely.jpg