PDA

View Full Version : Alimony

Rtael
Oct 13th, 2003, 02:18 AM
good or bad?

GBFH
Oct 13th, 2003, 02:24 AM
hmm....guess it depends on whether you're paying out or receiving, eh? ;)

they don't award alimony in texas, anymore...

Crazy Canuck
Oct 13th, 2003, 02:25 AM
Depends on the situation.

Rtael
Oct 13th, 2003, 02:26 AM
Myself, I can't even imagine a situation anymore where alimony is actually a good thing....you got a scenario where it might be, Becca? =P

Crazy Canuck
Oct 13th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Myself, I can't even imagine a situation anymore where alimony is actually a good thing....you got a scenario where it might be, Becca? =P
Let's say that a couple is married for 15 years, that one of them is the breadwinner ( I don't care if it's the man or woman), one of them the homemaker, and the breadwinner ups and leaves them with no notice one day. The one who has been unemployed for the past 15 years is now fucked up the wazoo and is expected to support themselves how, exactly? Alimony. For certain situations, it works. I'm not talking for life... my mother only got alimony for a year (if she was a gold digger she would have gotten a lot more).

Rtael
Oct 13th, 2003, 02:45 AM
Let's say that a couple is married for 15 years, that one of them is the breadwinner ( I don't care if it's the man or woman), one of them the homemaker, and the breadwinner ups and leaves them with no notice one day. The one who has been unemployed for the past 15 years is now fucked up the wazoo and is expected to support themselves how, exactly? Alimony. For certain situations, it works. I'm not talking for life... my mother only got alimony for a year (if she was a gold digger she would have gotten a lot more).

shouldn't that be something wore suited for a divorce settlement, ie splitting half of everything? It seems like that would rectify the situation until the homemaker could get a job or whatever =P

Crazy Canuck
Oct 13th, 2003, 02:47 AM
shouldn't that be something wore suited for a divorce settlement, ie splitting half of everything? It seems like that would rectify the situation until the homemaker could get a job or whatever =P
So the homemaker is supposed to feed themselves and pay for electricity by auctioning off jewelry, are they? Or are they supposed to sell the house, and just not eat until they get the downpayment? Or is this cash just going to fly out of the sky and land in their lap? Again - this is what alimony does.

Rtael
Oct 13th, 2003, 02:49 AM
So the homemaker is supposed to feed themselves and pay for electricity by auctioning off jewelry, are they? Or are they supposed to sell the house, and just not eat until they get the downpayment? Or is this cash just going to fly out of the sky and land in their lap? Again - this is what alimony does.

So the breadwinner should have to give up half their paycheck to someone who's sitting on their arse at home, doing nothing? A job at McDonald's is enough to survive on, not in great conditions, but enough to survive on.

Monique
Oct 13th, 2003, 02:51 AM
a question from a non-American/non-Canuck here...is alimony the same as child support?

Crazy Canuck
Oct 13th, 2003, 02:51 AM
So the breadwinner should have to give up half their paycheck to someone who's sitting on their arse at home, doing nothing? A job at McDonald's is enough to survive on, not in great conditions, but enough to survive on.
Half of their paycheck? If you're attempting to pretend that was my arguement, ERRRRR try again, Back the truck up, re read my post, and respond to something that I wrote next time.

Thanks.

GBFH
Oct 13th, 2003, 02:53 AM
a question from a non-American/non-Canuck here...is alimony the same as child support?

as I understand it, no. child support is supposed to pay for childcare expenses, only...and alimony is for the wronged party. at least, that's what i've always been led to believe.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 13th, 2003, 02:54 AM
No.. Child Support is different. Alimony is basically financial support for the partner who was financially dependant on the other, immediately following the split. I understand that some people suck alimony from their former partner until the end of time, although I don't agree with that function of it. I only agree with using it for the first year or two until they have time to get on their feet and get a job, etc.

Despite what resident alimony genius Rtael might think, jobs don't fall out fo the sky. Furthermore it's not as if one gets a divorce and is automatically thinking "well I'll go apply for a job tomorrow" - again, I wouldn't expect somebody who knows fuck all about divorce situations to understand that.

GBFH
Oct 13th, 2003, 02:56 AM
I agree with Rebecca.

equitible division of the assets is only applied in communitive property states, like texas and california. i don't think any judge is harsh enough to make someone fork over half of their paycheck...