PDA

View Full Version : Bad blood between Russian girls?

tenn_ace
Oct 12th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Apparently (according to the last issue of Tennis magazine), during the match between Maria S. and Nadia in Carston, Maria pumped her fist at the start of the 3rd set. Nadia responded with an obscene gesture, according to Sharapova's dad, Yuri, who proceeded to tanut Petrova from the stands for the rest of the set. After match, which Sharapova won, Petrova's coach, Gleen Schaap, accosted Yuri and pushed him into a trash can. Security guards broke off the scuffle.

Obviously, these two (Masha and Nadia) will not pair to play doubles together any time soon or will practice together...
Is this the first such an open confrontation between Russian girls camps?Is there any other example of bad blood? :o

btw, I said a lo-o-o-ong time ago not to wait for Maria to play on a Russian FedCup team... I'd be surprised to, actually, see her there.

the cat
Oct 12th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Nyet tenn_ace! There's no bad blood between Nadia and Maria. This is the first I've heard of such an incident. And I read alot of reports online on their exciting match. I'm sure Nadia needs to get used to Maria playing with such great passion and emotion. Masha is not your typical low key Russina.

As far as I'm concerned if Nadia was so upset with Maria's fist pumping she should have beaten Maria insetad of getting upset at her for pumping her fist. But until Nadia says something substantive about this then it's just a rumour in my eyes. Maria and Nadia's match was over 2 months ago. I would have expected to have heard something about this possible incident by now. But maybe it didn't happen. Or maybe just words were exchanged.

And tenn_ace, the 2 best Russina's Anastasia Myskina and Elena Dementieva seem to like Maria alot. :D I know Myskina does. She and Masha train together with Robert Landsorp in Los Angeles. I Myskina and Dementieva didn't like Sharapova there would be no chance of Maria playing on the Russian Fed Cup team anytime soon. But I expect Maria to be a practice player on the Russian team for the upcoming Fed Cup semifinals in Mocsow. Maria hits the ball flat and hard and she makes alot of noise when she plays so she would be a good practice partner to have for the Fed Cup semifinals because the matches will be noisy and Maria can prepare her Russian practice partners for a boistrous match. :D And if Dementieva can't play the singles because she's too tired from playing too much tennis Shamil Tarpischev coukd slip Maria into being the #2 player on the Russian Fed Cup team. :) :D :bounce:

tenn_ace
Oct 12th, 2003, 12:41 PM
the cat, I admire you reading a lot of reports, but you obviously missed this one... why else whould Tennis magazine publish it? :rolleyes:

vaiva
Oct 12th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Open your eyes, the cat! *shakes head*

Put away the hype surrounding Maria which you're obviously bying in at the moment. I can assure you the old fox Shamil is too smart to have Maria as #2 player on the team [maybe in the parallel universe in which you seem to dwell now].

tenn_ace, that's a nasty incident to read about. I haven't heard any more reports regarding the bad blood between the Russian girls [but I'm not so much into reading reports as the cat is :p]. Anyways, I'd rather have it as an exception not a rule. ;)

the cat
Oct 12th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Being a USTA member I get Tennis Magazine as part of my mmbership. And I can't beleive I missed the item on Nadia and Maria. :o But I went right to the feature article on the Russina's. So that's how I missed it. But I just read it this morning. And because Tennis Magaize wrote about this incident doesn't mean it happened. I find it hard to believe that no other magazine, newspaper or tennis website reported this incident. One player making an obscene gesture to another player during a match is highly unusual and would be immediately reported by various outlets.

And if Glen Schaap really accosted Yuri Sharapov and dumped him in a trash can that would have been big news worth reporting right away. Not 2 months later as was the case. And if Schaap really did that the question is, why? Does Schaap want an imposong figure from Sochi, Russia to pay him a visit? :eek:

Martian Willow
Oct 12th, 2003, 01:55 PM
...sounds more like bad blood between Russian men to me... :)

goldenlox
Oct 12th, 2003, 01:56 PM
It's hard to believe that Nadya's coach pushed Maria's father into a trash can, and security had to break up the scuffle, yet no tennis writer or wire service stringer bothered to report it.
Like that baseball skirmish yesterday, this fighting stuff is bigger than the sporting match that's being played.

tenn_ace
Oct 12th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Schaap is actually Dutch ;)

F-R-E-A-K
Oct 12th, 2003, 02:01 PM
VAMOS Lena Bovina!!!! :)

the cat
Oct 12th, 2003, 02:47 PM
I'm glad you see it my way, GL. :D The tennis media loves to report gossip, rumours and controversy. And the tennis media would have been all over this story if Petrova made an obscene gesture to Sharapova and if Schaap pushed Sharapov into a trash can. But I have my doubts that these occurances even occured.

goldenlox
Oct 12th, 2003, 02:51 PM
There were definately reporters there. They love this stuff.
Why wouldn't someone report it?

the cat
Oct 12th, 2003, 02:58 PM
GL, it wasn't reported because maybe no one saw it or maybe it didn't happen. I'm sure there were reporters there. And I'm sure there would have gladly reported Petrova's obscene gesture or Schaap and Sharapov's scuffle. But there weren't any reports on this at the time. Thus I have to wonder about the validity of Tennis Magazine's report of the obscene gesture and subsequent scuffle.

narcissus boy
Oct 12th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Bovina and Zvonareva.

tenn_ace
Oct 12th, 2003, 04:39 PM
what if happened somewhere in the locker room or waiting area? with no reporters around?

the cat
Oct 12th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Stiil trying to make a case for this story, tenn_ace? ;) If it happened in the lockerroom or waiting area someone would have talked about it. Because an incident where Glen Schaap allegedly put Yuri Sharapov into a trash can is an act of violence that cannot be tolerated by the WTA Tour.

And I certainly don't want Yuri Sharapov to get a bad reputaion on the WTA Tour as a problem father. Maria Sharapova would not stand for that. I seriopusly doubt that Mr. Sharapov taunted Petrova for nearly the entire third set. He was probably just rooting hard for Maria. :) :D :angel:

goldenlox
Oct 12th, 2003, 07:21 PM
There might be some dislike among some of the players. So many are so close in ability, it seems that our opinions change all the time about who is better than who.
But competition is good. Everyone should be watching the other Russians, knowing that they can do that too.
Who knows, one of them might be hosting award shows next year.

DEETHELICK
Oct 12th, 2003, 08:24 PM
I haven't heard about this. I think its good that there is healthy competition between the girls, as I believe it pushes them to work even harder.

What happened between Bovina and Zvonareva>>

I also assumed from a quote from Elena D that neither she nor Vera really got on and was surprised to see them playing doubles together at Zurich....

ys
Oct 12th, 2003, 09:30 PM
I haven't heard about this. I think its good that there is healthy competition between the girls, as I believe it pushes them to work even harder.

What happened between Bovina and Zvonareva>>

I also assumed from a quote from Elena D that neither she nor Vera really got on and was surprised to see them playing doubles together at Zurich....

You could not be possibly more surprised than seeing Elena D. play doubles with Anna K. this spring, could you?

narcissus boy
Oct 12th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Alyona was one of the first people to become Vera's friend on the tour. :) She asked Vera to come practice with her, according to Vera's US Open interview.

Martian KC
Oct 12th, 2003, 10:06 PM
I thought there has always been a resentment towards Americanized Russian players like Anna K and Maria S?

goldenlox
Oct 12th, 2003, 10:10 PM
I think the story was that Anna wouldn't talk to the other Russians.
I think she's matured since then.
Several of the Russians are friends with each other. The Russians who now live in a different country have their own support teams that they spend time with.

tenn_ace
Oct 13th, 2003, 12:11 AM
cmon cat, enough! be realistic... take those pink glasses off and think... there are people around you (at work, school) you don't like, just like there are people who don't like you (in many cases without any special reason). tennis is no different.

goldenlox
Oct 13th, 2003, 12:20 AM
I remember thinking how much I wanted to see the Nadya-Masha match.
That L.A. website was awful. That was summer and I had time to go to the L.A. Times on-line, and read the tennis stories.
I don't recall anything written about any arguments or anything else unusual.
I remember Dokic wasn't impressed after she played Maria at Wimbledon.

the cat
Oct 13th, 2003, 01:20 AM
Pink is one of my favorite colors, tenn_ace dahlin! ;) So I think I'll leave my pink glasses on if you don't mind. :)

Of course there are people around me I don't like. But I don't hate them. Maria is friendly person. And I don't think she's upset if Petrova doesn't like her.

You sure stirred the pot with this thread, tenn_ace. :eek: In fact your first word in this thread is apparently. But apparently doesn't mean definitely. Thus I would like someone to confirm that the Petrova - Sharapova and Schaap - Sharapov incidents took place. And that's the last I'll say on this topic. :tape:

LeonHart
Oct 13th, 2003, 01:31 AM
What happened to Vera/Lena B.?? I want to knoe too. ;)

tenn_ace
Oct 13th, 2003, 03:16 AM
sweety, you not gonna see an official statement from any of the camps... that one I could guarantee you

DEETHELICK
Oct 13th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Aaaah yes, the Elena D/Anna K doubles partnership was definitely surprising! I completely forgot about that ys! :)

I'd love to know how that partnership came about?? Sponsors?? The WTA Tour? Or maybe the girls themselves? Or was it an advertising gimmick to use two hot blondes and make them play doubles together??

Maybe I got it wrong about Elena and Vera! Well I hope they can advance to the SFs in Zurich this week! :)

cool_olga
Oct 13th, 2003, 01:41 PM
How do you know cat that Elena and Nastya like Maria? I think it isn't very possible that Maria would play FC.

the cat
Oct 13th, 2003, 03:07 PM
CO, I know Anastasia and Elena like Maria because they are friendly towards her and they look so happy when they are photographed together! :D And Maria and Anastasia train together in Los Angeles under the tutelage of legendary tennis coach Robert Lansdorp and Anastasia is very complimentary of Maria and doesn't want her to turn into another Anna Kournikova.

saab95
Oct 17th, 2003, 08:53 AM
sorry...
what means "to tanut"?

goldenlox
Oct 17th, 2003, 07:38 PM
The word they mean is: taunt. To ridicule, to insult, to make fun of.
It's certainly possible that Maria's father was being childish and vulgar, but I still doubt that there was a fight that needed security to break it up.

the cat
Oct 18th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Because Tennis Magazine wrote about this supposed incident between Yuri Sharapova and Glen Schaap doesn't mean it happened. As GL pointed out, no other media outlet in the world reported anything unusual about the Maria Sharapova victory over Nadia Petrova. And if Nadia made an obscene gesture to Maria you can be sure the media covering the match would have jumped all over that.

goldenlox
Oct 18th, 2003, 03:02 PM
There really shouldn't be any articles about Masha's dad taunting anyone. That's Jim Pierce and Damir Dokic behavior.
Maria's dad shouldn't say one unfriendly word to these women.
Nadya's a professional athlete. Who is he? Some athlete's relative.
His name shouldn't be in a tennis magazine unless it's a profile of Maria.

the cat
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:03 PM
GL, Jim Pierce and Damir Dokic did much worse than what Yuri Sharapov allegedly did. The key word is allegedy. And you yourself said that you never read anything about this incident and you read reports on the Maria Sharapova - Nadia Petrova match back in August. And that makes me dubious about what Tennis Magazine reported. I would think this supposed incident would have been talked about and covered a great deal. But it wasn't.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 11th, 2003, 07:19 AM
I’ve just got to read this thread today. What do you mean by saying “Bad blood between Russian girls?” ?

And even if we believe the Tennis magazine’s article, still Maria did nothing wrong. Yes, she pumped her fist. But so many other tennis players (both men and women, and also some top players) out there who pump their fist when they win a point/game/set/match.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 12th, 2003, 02:49 AM
And also, Masha has come a very long way to becoming who she is now – when she first arrived in America, she almost had nothing. But Masha has “always been really strong inside and tough mentally”, and she has set her goals very high. So if a few players on Tour don’t like her or if she doesn’t get to play the Fed Cup, I don’t think it would worry her much.

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:05 AM
There are so many Russians who are so close in ability that competitive fires will burn.
This article was about a player's relative, and they should not insult other players.
But there's no proof anything was said.

the cat
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Maria Sharapova has the competitive disposition to be a top tennis player. :D She is a fierce competitor. :mad: But she is a kind person, too. :angel: She showed that with her genuine concern for the health of the injured Milagros Sequera after their Quebec final. A photo of Mashara's concern and kindness towards Sequera is located at www.mariaworld.net/quebeccity039.jpg

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 13th, 2003, 02:27 AM
Yes, it must be true about Maria having fiercely competitive nature.

After losing to Maria at DFS Classic in Birmingham, Dementieva said: “Maria is a very good fighter and plays every single point from first to last.”

goldenlox
Nov 13th, 2003, 02:35 AM
Most of these girls are competitive. And when they're starting their careers, they all believe they'll become #1.
Each is limited in some ways. But a lot of Russians are going to have really good careers.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 13th, 2003, 02:50 AM
goldenlox, you wrote that when the Russian girls “are starting their careers, they all believe they will become #1.”
But do they really say it as their goal, as Maria does, or not? (I’m just curious to know.)

goldenlox
Nov 13th, 2003, 03:06 AM
Every young player doesn't get interviewed and quoted. But Kournikova is famous for quotes like that. So was Hingis. As players mature, they learn that these quotes sound arrogant, or sound like an insult to the current top players.
I think that Maria won't talk like that in a few years.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 13th, 2003, 03:26 AM
goldenlox, thanks a lot for your insightful viewpoints.

the cat
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:46 PM
The way the Russian girls treated a heartbroken Vera Zvonareva after she lost the deciding Fed Cup match was deplorable! :fiery: And I'm sure the very likable Vera won't forget it. :(

goldenlox
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:04 PM
You're right. Nadia and Lena didn't win any matches. Nastya didn't win on Thursday.
Don't blame Vera, each player has to do more next year. And in following years.

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Nov 23rd, 2003, 03:08 AM
The way the Russian girls treated a heartbroken Vera Zvonareva after she lost the deciding Fed Cup match was deplorable! :fiery: And I'm sure the very likable Vera won't forget it. :(
i'd leave her too.. ;) especially if she took an "ill" lenas spot.. maybe the rest of the girls were pissed about vera playing.. :confused:

the cat
Nov 23rd, 2003, 06:14 PM
Something made the Russina's extremely upset and they took it out of Vera Zvonareva. :( And that something was Shamil Tarpischev over coaching and playing a counter puncher like Zvonareva ahead of power players Elena Dementieva and Nadia Petrova on a fast court. I think Tarpischev has captained his last Fed Cup tie. Good riddance to Tarpischev! :wavey: :mad: :(

goldenlox
Nov 23rd, 2003, 06:21 PM
I have no problem with a coach favoring one player over another.
To me, the question is: were the illnesses real or a lie?
If you're picking a player because you think they are practicing better, just say so.

moo_ont
Nov 23rd, 2003, 06:30 PM
Actually, before the first match started, Tarpischev had not said anything about Elena's illness. He just mentioned that Elena was tired and Vera played better and was more ready than Elena. He mentioned about her illness when the team nearly lost. I am not sure if he did not wanna reveal about Elena's illness because he did not want France to know the truth that Vera was just a substitute.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 24th, 2003, 01:12 AM
To me, the question is: were the illnesses real or a lie?
goldenlox, I think Dementieva's illness must be real.

As in October she "withdrew from Luxembourg due to illness; withdrew from Philadelphia due to illness (same that caused Luxembourg withdrawal)."

But she just didn’t want to withdraw from the Championships.

the cat
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:39 PM
I don't ever want there to be bad blood among the Russina's. :eek: But I don't mind if there's a little friction between some of the Russina's. :devil: :boxing: It adds to the drama and competition.

goldenlox
Nov 25th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Why should they like each other? Can you imagine if Maria gets a chance to play Anna?
Will Masha be going for 6-0, 6-0? Poor Anna.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 25th, 2003, 05:00 AM
Will Masha be going for 6-0, 6-0? Poor Anna.
Are you sure Masha can go for 6-0 6-0?

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 25th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Why should they like each other?
I agree with you, they don't have to like each other.

What about the American female players? Do they generally get along well with each other?

the cat
Nov 25th, 2003, 08:06 PM
It's generally assumed that the Russina's like each other and stick together. I think that may have been a little exxaggerated but I do think most of the Russina's are on good terms. Maybe as the Russina's become more successful they will become more competitive with each other and less friendly like the American women. But I sense a certain kinship among the Russina's. :D And I see it in their group photos at WTA tournaments and Fed Cup sites.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 26th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Thanks, the cat.

goldenlox
Nov 26th, 2003, 03:12 AM
I don't care if they don't get along. But players' relatives should be banned for causing a commotion during a match.

the cat
Nov 27th, 2003, 02:50 AM
Yes GL, if Masha got a hold of Anna in a match she would try to beat Anna 6-0 6-0. :eek:

GL, the Russina's like each other because they have alot in common. Including similar backgrounds and a desire to win.

GL, there was no proven commotion caused by Maria Sharapova's father in Maria's victory over Nadia Petrova in Los Angeles last August. That was pure specualtion by Tennis Magazine that no other publication confirmed. And you even said you searched the internet for articles on that match and you never saw any mention of an incident between Yuri Sharapov and Glen Schaap, Petrova's coach.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 27th, 2003, 03:16 AM
This article was about a player's relative, and they should not insult other players.
But there's no proof anything was said.
the cat, goldenlox already said "there's no proof".

goldenlox
Nov 27th, 2003, 03:18 AM
That's a family that makes Don Rickles seem like a nice guy.

komwalkmas
Nov 27th, 2003, 03:38 AM
i agree with golden lox. all the russian girls are competitive and show their emotions whilst on court. its not a crime for a player to pump their fist when they gain a point

goldenlox
Nov 28th, 2003, 04:17 AM
As long as they're not fighting, it's okay.
But the father has to be thrown out if he starts trouble again.

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:16 AM
They say Sharapova has a whacked-out father (wow, big surprise in women's tennis), an arrogant and argumentative sort by the name of Yuri. In August, during a tempestuous match in which Russian rival Nadia Petrova made an obscene gesture toward Sharapova, he began taunting Petrova from the stands. This didn't sit too well with Petrova's coach, Glen Schaap, who scuffled with Yuri after the match, stuffed him into a trash can, and became an instant hero among those who follow the tour.

Stephieva
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:20 AM
They say Sharapova has a whacked-out father (wow, big surprise in women's tennis), an arrogant and argumentative sort by the name of Yuri. In August, during a tempestuous match in which Russian rival Nadia Petrova made an obscene gesture toward Sharapova, he began taunting Petrova from the stands. This didn't sit too well with Petrova's coach, Glen Schaap, who scuffled with Yuri after the match, stuffed him into a trash can, and became an instant hero among those who follow the tour.Where did you get this? :eek: :eek: :eek:
If it's true, Nadia and Masha doesn't have good relationship then. :boxing:

But...Nadia's always cold to any Russians.
I saw Lena/Nadia Nasdaq semi.
Nadia didn't even look at Lena when they shook hands. :rolleyes:

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:25 AM
Maria is a real nice girl. But her dad's a little emotional.

bubble
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:26 AM
Taken from http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c...SPGFG7E5IG1.DTL (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c...SPGFG7E5IG1.DTL)

Stephieva
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:29 AM
Maria is a real nice girl. But her dad's a little emotional.Yes but the point is how Masha can talk to Nadia friendlily when her dad was stuffed into the trash can by Nadia's coach?!?!
If I were Masha...no way. :fiery:
Oh...and if I were Nadia...no way too...:lol:

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:34 AM
I don't know. No one's ever done that to my dad. I'm not sure how I'd feel.
My dad's not a yeller. Not a troublemaker.
But it is funny!

Stephieva
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:36 AM
I don't know. No one's ever done that to my dad. I'm not sure how I'd feel.
My dad's not a yeller. Not a troublemaker.
But it is funny!No one's done that to my dad too. :lol:
But it'd not be funny if it happened to my dad.
For me it's 50% true.
It's unbelievable. :confused:

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:39 AM
If you read this thread, I never believed it. But they might have had an argument, and security had to break it up.
It hard to picture Maria's dad in a trash can. Sounds like a cartoon.

ys
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:42 AM
Maria is a real nice girl. But her dad's a little emotional.
GL, you have wonderful ways of putting any kind of controversy into very human, peaceful and tolerant form.. :worship:

But Mr. Sharapov does look a bit obnoxious..

Stephieva
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:43 AM
I've read it but I don't believe it.
Yes it sounds like a Jackie Chan cartoon.
Now I can't stop picturing Yuri in the trash can. :o
:rolleyes: at me.

ys
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:45 AM
I've read it but I don't believe it.
Yes it sounds like a Jackie Chan cartoon.
Now I can't stop picturing Yuri in the trash can. :o
:rolleyes: at me.
Me too. Now I am leaning to the opinion that he might fit it..

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:48 AM
I really admire Maria. She works so hard, she tries so hard. And she's so polite and articulate in her interviews.
But her dad needs some media schooling. He doesn't come across good on tv.

Stephieva
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:50 AM
Me too. Now I am leaning to the opinion that he might fit it..:haha: :haha:

And Masha tried hard to pull him out of it.
It fits him too much...:sad:

bubble
Jul 1st, 2004, 03:00 AM
I think Mr. Sharapov does look quite obnoxious by his looks.
But Glen Schaap in terms of size and age seems to be bigger and younger than Yuri, so it can be true that he won the fight and dumped Yuri in the trash can... :lol:

bubble
Jul 1st, 2004, 03:03 AM
Good thing Maria is nothing like her dad..
I'm very curious to see how her mother looks like... ;)

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2004, 03:05 AM
I saw her mom on the Tennis Channel. She doesn't want any media attention.
It's a strange dynamic. Maria travels with a group of adult men. Dad, agent, coach.
And not her mom.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jul 1st, 2004, 03:40 AM
GL, you have wonderful ways of putting any kind of controversy into very human, peaceful and tolerant form.. :worship:
What a compliment!

Verba
Jul 1st, 2004, 03:50 AM
But...Nadia's always cold to any Russians.
I saw Lena/Nadia Nasdaq semi.
Nadia didn't even look at Lena when they shook hands. :rolleyes:

Is your opinion about Nadia's attitude based only on this example?

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jul 1st, 2004, 03:50 AM
I don't know about Yuri Sharapov's personality.

But I think Yuri is usually nice to Masha's fans - Sharky met him and also said he was nice.

He was (and I think still is) very appreciative of the support that I've had for Masha.

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2004, 03:59 AM
He might be a good man, and a great dad. But this kind of article - Sharapova's dad, Yuri, who proceeded to tanut Petrova from the stands for the rest of the set. - is not a good public image

And Maria has a great public image.

tenn_ace
Jul 1st, 2004, 01:38 PM
They say Sharapova has a whacked-out father (wow, big surprise in women's tennis), an arrogant and argumentative sort by the name of Yuri. In August, during a tempestuous match in which Russian rival Nadia Petrova made an obscene gesture toward Sharapova, he began taunting Petrova from the stands. This didn't sit too well with Petrova's coach, Glen Schaap, who scuffled with Yuri after the match, stuffed him into a trash can, and became an instant hero among those who follow the tour.
just curious: what was the purpose of this post? it's not like it's a news breaking post (the whole thread has been started 8 months ago with that news/rumour)... it's been discussed extensively. so what was the purpose? just curious.

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2004, 01:52 PM
bubble started a new thread with this, plus the link. And asked if we had seen it before.
So I bumped this thread. And bubble deleted the new thread.

tenn_ace
Jul 1st, 2004, 02:01 PM
ah, ok.

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2004, 01:41 AM
Anyone who saw today's semi could see that Maria's dad can be pretty annoying, if you're sitting in the row behind him, and are supporting Maria's opponent.

bubble
Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:19 AM
bubble started a new thread with this, plus the link. And asked if we had seen it before.
So I bumped this thread. And bubble deleted the new thread.
Yup, thanks GL.
I have missed this thread the last time.

vaiva
Aug 5th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Do Nadia and Lena L have some problems between them?

Lena gave Nadia some angry looks during their match yesterday and the hand shake was anything but nice :(

goldenlox
Aug 5th, 2004, 01:28 PM
The handshake was funny. Lena L. started to applaud the crowd, right before Nadia shook hands.
I think Nadia is aloof, and doesn't want to be friends with the other players. Lena L. was very motivated yesterday.
She was up a set, and up in the tiebreak, lost it 8-6. And still fought and fought.

the cat
Aug 5th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Let's be real. The Russian girls don't like each other nearly as much as the media makes it appear they do. The media kept saying how the unrelated Belgian sisters Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters were such good friends. But then we found out the truth about how they are not friends and they actually appear in reality to not even like each other. :eek: I think the same thing is true of alot of the Russina's. Some of them are friends with each other while some are friendly with each other. Then there are some of them who don't like some of the other Russina's. That's life.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 5th, 2004, 03:47 PM
no one likes everyone right?
thats how it goes in the tennis world as well.

there's also a few juniors who dont like each other (not naming names :o)

goldenlox
Aug 5th, 2004, 05:11 PM
You can tell from doubles pairings that a lot of the Russian women get along.
Nadia doesn't want to.

the cat
Aug 6th, 2004, 03:23 PM
I want Petrova to start playing doubles with some of the Russian girls.

Which juniors, Eggy?

goldenlox
Aug 7th, 2004, 03:48 AM
Nadia plays doubles with Meghann because when they teamed up last fall, they realized they worked well together. So they decided to be a team this year.
It worked out well, except at the majors.

Nastyafan
Aug 8th, 2004, 02:05 AM
I think all that story about some Russians are friends is a myth like Kim and Justine friendship. They envy each other and maybe hate. How it's possible Russian to have the rare chance of being world #1 and her 2 best friends playing the matches of their life to prevent her. I don't think I could do it to my best friend. I know there are a lot of money to me but everyone of them is a millionare and dosn't their "friendship" cost more than these 50000$. And the money matters can always be settled between friends.
Maybe I'm mad now but I think they just envy Nastya for her successes and that spite give them incredible strenght playing her

goldenlox
Aug 8th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Nastya and Lena L. are best friends.

Earlier this year, Likhovtseva beat Myskina on clay at Rome but lost to her on a hardcourt in Doha, Qater. Myskina want to avenge that defeat, but realizes there will be emotion attached to their match Saturday.
"She's my best friend, so it will be really hard for us," Myskina said. "I just hope it's a good match. "She's really on top of her game this week."

Nastyafan
Aug 8th, 2004, 02:37 AM
And that's the biggest Nastya's mistake - she considers all Russians her friends she plays hard emotional matches and can't show her best, but they play the matches of their live against her inspired from their spite:devil: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=34#)

goldenlox
Aug 8th, 2004, 02:43 AM
Nastya does very well against the other Russians. Right now, Lena is playing her best.
And Anastasia had an off day.
If you want to be world #1, you can't lose this match.

Nastyafan
Aug 8th, 2004, 02:57 AM
very well?
She always plays thrillers with them. She beats much easier non-Russians at their level, but Russians always play out of mind against her
you will see tomorrow your Lena not taking more than 4 games against struggling momo

goldenlox
Aug 8th, 2004, 02:59 AM
That's not true. The French Open final. Sharapova getting 3 games in Indian Wells.

Nastyafan
Aug 8th, 2004, 03:13 AM
FO final is the only exclusion. Masha isn't typical Russians, she is too young and isn't still infected with the atmosphere between the compatriots

goldenlox
Aug 8th, 2004, 03:21 AM
FO final is by far the most important one.

Nastyafan
Aug 8th, 2004, 03:57 AM
In FO final Elena just wasn't able to cope with her nerves although she has the best game between all other Russians.
But LenaL playing 2 matches of her life against her best friend and doing nothing between them is a bit strange

goldenlox
Aug 8th, 2004, 04:02 AM
In Doha, Nastya beat Lena L. 6-1 in the third. I'm watching tonight's match. Lena is just playing better.
Lena is just in great form this week. She's steadier than Nastya.

Nastyafan
Aug 8th, 2004, 04:11 AM
their previous match was Roma, not Doha.
I have no doubt she has played great - she had a mission - to stop Nastya to #1 and to gift it to Momo tomorrow
now she can rest the whole year again or until the next meeting with Nastya

goldenlox
Aug 9th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Elena L. beat Capriati and Schiavone in straight sets. Of course she's going to try her best in a Tier I semifinal.

I think being on the Olympic team will bring Nadia closer to the other girls.
I'm sure they all respect each other.

the cat
Aug 9th, 2004, 03:29 PM
GL, I noticed you said respect instead of like. ;) As I said earlier in this thread I don't believe the Russina's like each other as much as we think. They are very competitive with each other and that's the way it should be. They shouldn't have to like each other just because they are from the same country. But as long as they respect each other then that's fine. I've been in sales and marketing for a long time and I can tell you that no matter what company I've been with not everyone likes each other and some people despise each other even though they are working for the same company. It's jungle out their in this dog eat dog world! :eek:

goldenlox
Aug 10th, 2004, 03:55 AM
I disagree. I think several of the girls are best friends. I know Vera and Sveta get along great.
Nastya and Lena L. are best friends. I saw Nastya, Lina, and Lena L. waching Sveta beat Justine in Doha.
On ESPN this past week the announcer said Nastya gathered the Russian girls so they could go watch the Vera-Maria match as a group.

I think a lot of these girls are going to leave tennis as friends for life. They have so much in common.

ys
Aug 10th, 2004, 03:59 AM
GL, I noticed you said respect instead of like. ;) As I said earlier in this thread I don't believe the Russina's like each other as much as we think. They are very competitive with each other and that's the way it should be. They shouldn't have to like each other just because they are from the same country. But as long as they respect each other then that's fine. I've been in sales and marketing for a long time and I can tell you that no matter what company I've been with not everyone likes each other and some people despise each other even though they are working for the same company. It's jungle out their in this dog eat dog world! :eek:
Dog don't eat dogs. They though often team up to get the cat. :devil:

azmad_88
Aug 13th, 2004, 12:41 PM
LenaD and Natsya are close too right..since they were 7...

the cat
Aug 13th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Yes Lena and Anastasia are truly good friends from childhood.

Excellent post GL. I'm not sure if I can counter it. But these Russina's are playing for high stakes and some bad blood is bound to occur from time to time. It's only natural. But it is good that some of them seem to be friends. :)

Epigone
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Yuri struck again at the YEC :rolleyes:

It's a shame that Glen Schaap was probably too busy to sort him out this time :devil:

I think this behaviour will alienate Masha from the other Russians, especially if he pulls these stunts at more all-Russian matches.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2004, 03:30 PM
I don't think the other players blame Maria for her dad being an obnoxious jerk.
People didn't blame Mary Pierce because of her father.
I think Maria being so 'Americanized' separates her from the others.

katiektc
Nov 16th, 2004, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=Epigone]Yuri struck again at the YEC :rolleyes:

what ya mean? how did he strike?!

the cat
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Kat, Epi mean that because Yuri Sharapov ran onto the court to contratulate Maria that he struck again. :rolleyes: I wan't offended by it. Richard Williams did the same thing many years ago when one of his daughters won a big tournament. I would rather not see tennis players fathers running onto the court to celebrate the victory with his child. But it's up to the WTA Tour to stop it.

Masha doesn't have a problem with the other Russian girls. But a couple of the Russian girls seem to have a problem (Masha envy) with her. :( Fortunately Maria gets along well with Maria Kirilenko and Vera Zvonareva and they can travel the WTA Tour together and be friends throughout their careers. :)

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:09 PM
They don't envy Maria. Nobody wants a father like that.
The competition among these players will be fierce.
I don't expect them to go to the movies together.

the cat
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Big Masha and Little Masha will go the movies together. :) ;)

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:14 PM
I know Elena L. and Anastasia put jigsaw puzzles together in Qatar.
Maria K.'s going to be in Croatia. Maria S. will be at the Laker games.

the cat
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Maria won't be at Lakers games because she lives in Florida. And Elena Likhivtseva who played doubles with a young Anna Kournikova, thinks highly of Sharapova and that means something to me because Likhovtseva unlike Dementieva and Myskina has no axe to grind with Maria.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Dementieva and Myskina don't have an axe to grind.
It's like a sorority. Maria is a freshman. She has to be hazed a little by the seniors.
Likhovtseva is already a graduate student. She can be friends with the freshman.
It's all very simple.

Epigone
Nov 16th, 2004, 10:32 PM
I don't think the other players blame Maria for her dad being an obnoxious jerk.
People didn't blame Mary Pierce because of her father.
I think Maria being so 'Americanized' separates her from the others.Nadia probably thinks that both Maria and her father are obnoxious.

If Yuri taunts Maria's opponents during a match, it gives Maria an advantage, so of course other players are going to be frustrated.

the cat
Nov 16th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the explanation GL. And I hope you have avoid being hazed in College by the bad girls.

Emptiness
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:50 PM
I don't think Lena and Anastasia dislike Maria, they just have little in common. Her mentality is different and its very apparent in interviews The Cat seems to think the girls viciously snap each others bras or something behind closed doors. I really think this picture is very telling about the girls relationships with each other. Its not a typical photo where everyone is staring at the camera waiting for the flash, its a capture of an event in their lives.. perhaps. :)

http://www.wtatour.ru/uploads/la/all.jpg

Emptiness
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:04 AM
It's not Masha envy.

Obviously, Myskina and Lena D are very passionate about their country. And when some little girl comes along bragging how she's Russian when she barely is... it probably bothers them.No of course its Maria envy, its the endorsements they've never been offered, the huge spotlight that follows her every move, her model-like looks compared to their homely looks, the billboard plasted over LA, they want their own slogan. Not to mention the hefty apperance fees and invitations to talk shows. :)

If I were there, I'd be laughing at Bepa's sweater.Bahaha wheres Epi? "Some Soviet-era hotel is missing their curtains". :lol:

Emptiness
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:15 AM
I really don't think the other Russians are jealous of that. They're also making more than enough money than they'll never know what to do with.My sarcasm machine must be broken. *Shakes it a little* ;)

You know it must be REALLY bad if Epi is making fun of anything involving Queen Goddess Bepa.Yeah but he should give it a go more often.. i laughed my ass off.

Heres quote from miss bitch, got it from quickfound.
Anastasia said: "I played bad. That is my worst match probably, not in the week, in the past couple months. [Maria] won, and she deserved it. I just think I got really tired, and I lost my concentration."
I think the media just misses Martina Hingis.

Epigone
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:48 AM
Bepa's dress sense can at times be described as "different".

But when she isn't using curtains and tablecloths as source material, she dresses very nicely.

e.g. http://www.wtatour.com/global/photogallery/berlin/f_19.jpg

Emptiness
Nov 17th, 2004, 01:07 AM
Sveta on the other hand.. dark green and yellow? Their collective wardrobes must regularly blind people.

Especially in RR. Nobody here is really like that. Europeans usually don't understand it.People here are a little bit too serious.. but i'm always making bad jokes. :)

And yes that rhinoceros(?) has a rather big long horn. :tape:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 17th, 2004, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the lovely picture!

Frank
Nov 17th, 2004, 10:55 AM
I don't know you well enough to detect sarcasm. :p

Especially in RR. Nobody here is really like that. Europeans usually don't understand it.Nah. It's just the French and the Germans who don't have a feeling for sarcasm. ;)

goldenlox
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Nadia probably thinks that both Maria and her father are obnoxious.

If Yuri taunts Maria's opponents during a match, it gives Maria an advantage, so of course other players are going to be frustrated.
The players shouldn't have to deal with a yelling lunatic in the friends box.
But Maria has to deal with him 24/7.

the cat
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:59 PM
A jesting GL! A yelling lunatic? Surely you jest, GL. :p

Hey DH, maybe since you are stylish you can help Vera with her fashion sense and shotmaking sense and be kind of a dual fashion coach and tennis coach for her. :D ;)

goldenlox
Nov 26th, 2004, 03:40 PM
The players shouldn't have to deal with a yelling lunatic in the friends box.
But Maria has to deal with him 24/7.
It's now obvious that there is some bad blood between Anastasia and Maria's dad.
It's up to Maria, you either control your dad, or keep him away from the tournaments.
He can stay in the hotel room, if you have to bring him with you.

the cat
Nov 26th, 2004, 04:52 PM
The bad blood is only directed at Maria but it never comes from Maria. Nastya can spew all she wants about Yuri but it's really all about Maria and Nastya's latest nasty comment saying Masha probably doesn't even know where Moscow is is proof of that.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 27th, 2004, 02:55 AM
...It's up to Maria, you either control your dad, or keep him away from the tournaments...
Masha just can't play without having Yuri by the courtside, and that's why Masha keeps looking at Yuri during matches. And even during practices Yuri would give a lot of directions/advice to Masha.

Yuri controls Masha and I think it's very unlikely that it will be the other way round.

goldenlox
Nov 28th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Masha just can't play without having Yuri by the courtside, and that's why Masha keeps looking at Yuri during matches. And even during practices Yuri would give a lot of directions/advice to Masha.

Yuri controls Masha and I think it's very unlikely that it will be the other way round.
If Maria can't play without her dad in the friends box, then she's a mental case.
I know Maria is emotionally immature, that's because she has had her dad laying on top of her 24/7, her whole life.

But Maria is responsible for the noise coming from her group in the friends box.
She has to be accountable. It's up to Maria to handle this situation.
Or it will be the media focus of her whole year in 2005.

the cat
Nov 28th, 2004, 04:38 PM
It's Maria and Yuri against the world. :boxing: :tennis:

goldenlox
Nov 28th, 2004, 04:43 PM
That's what Maria's dad tells her. But it's Maria by herself, against another tennis player.
The same as it is for every player.
If Maria thinks she can't play well without her dad watching, then she is a baby. Or a retard.
It's about time she grows up.

the cat
Nov 28th, 2004, 05:22 PM
You are being much too hard on her. And I'd like to see you call Masha a baby or retard to her face! :eek: Yeah sure GL. :rolleyes: Myskina is the one who is acting like a baby talking about Maria and her father this way instead of trying to settle things peacefully and privately the way adults should. :baby: But she's taking the opportunity to try and turn Russia and the Russian media against her and sadly I'm sure she is succeeding with her plan. :(

goldenlox
Nov 28th, 2004, 05:31 PM
I would tell Maria to her face, that if she can't play tennis without her dad sitting there, then she is either a baby:baby: , or a mental case:retard: .
And she would agree with me.:hug:

the cat
Nov 28th, 2004, 05:37 PM
If she can live 2 years of her life from age 6 to 8 without her mother in her life then she can play a tennis match without her father around. Masha's toughness should never be questioned.

From the gotcha department. ;) GL why were you so quick to criticise Dementieva for her anti Sharapova comments but yet you praise Myskina for her anti Sharapova comments? :confused:

goldenlox
Nov 28th, 2004, 05:43 PM
I felt Elena should let Maria enjoy her moment.
I also was hoping the players could get along, and be friends when their careers are over.
I see now that's not possible. They are all too competitive.

If Maria can't play without daddy watching, then she's a bigger retard than he is.

the cat
Nov 28th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Somehow I don't think you would be so willing to accept Myskina's comments about Sharapova if they were aimed at Kournikova.

And your use of retard is questionable to say the least.

Emptiness
Nov 28th, 2004, 05:50 PM
But she's taking the opportunity to try and turn Russia and the Russian media against her and sadly I'm sure she is succeeding with her plan.The Cat, slide your Maria-shaped glasses up onto top of your head and think about what you are saying... its about as sensible as saying Elena has turned Anastasia onto disliking Maria.

the cat
Nov 28th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Leave Elena out of it Fragrance. She has been quiet about Maria since she made her comments about her not being a real Russian in July. And if you don't think Russians will take notice of Myskina's comments about Sharapova then you need to think again. Her commnets weren't really about Yuri Sharapova. Her comments were meant to alienate Sharapova from Russia and the Russian Fed Cup team and it worked.

t_fan
Nov 28th, 2004, 05:56 PM
That's what Maria's dad tells her. But it's Maria by herself, against another tennis player.
The same as it is for every player.
If Maria thinks she can't play well without her dad watching, then she is a baby. Or a retard.
It's about time she grows up.
Don't you think it's about time for you to grow up :lol:

goldenlox
Nov 28th, 2004, 05:59 PM
I stand by that. Maria is on the court by herself. Just like every other player.
And this idea that Maria can't play well without her dad sitting there.
She's either a total baby, or very dumb.

t_fan
Nov 28th, 2004, 06:00 PM
...Her comments were meant to alienate Sharapova from Russia and the Russian Fed Cup team and it worked.
Don't know for sure that it worked, the cat. Future will tell. What I think is obvious it's that Nastya plays power game within FedCup team and plays it dirty. She's too much ambitious, I think even to the extent of putting her ambitions before national team interests.

t_fan
Nov 28th, 2004, 06:03 PM
I stand by that. Maria is on the court by herself. Just like every other player.
And this idea that Maria can't play well without her dad sitting there.
She's either a total baby, or very dumb.
So do you firmly believe to what KlinaFan said?

goldenlox
Nov 28th, 2004, 06:06 PM
I think Maria is very emotionally immature. She has her dad around her constantly.
That's not normal.
And Maria wanting her dad there for every match, that's not normal for 17.
I think it's going to be another Pierce, Dokic situation.

A very emotional, messy breakup.

t_fan
Nov 28th, 2004, 06:22 PM
I think Maria is very emotionally immature.

State facts on which you base your opinion, please.

She has her dad around her constantly.
That's not normal.
And Maria wanting her dad there for every match, that's not normal for 17.

What's not normal about her dad watching her matches and practices? Is it a fact she wants him to be present at every her match? And if she really does, what's so not normal about it when she's 17 years old? He's about the only man she can totally trust to. Do you think you would be able to fare totally on your own when you're 17, play highest level tennis, constantly travel around the world and experience colossal pressure from the press, fans etc? That would be not normal.

goldenlox
Nov 28th, 2004, 06:26 PM
I know a lot of girls in the 15-19 range. None of them has their dad around constantly.
He's with her all day every day. And at every match.

There are plenty of girls playing sports at 17 without their dad around.

There's nothing normal about this situation.

And her dad yelling from the friends box shows how dopey he is.
The friends box is for both players. He has no respect for others.

DEETHELICK
Nov 28th, 2004, 06:49 PM
This whole Russian thing is crazy. Its turning into a circus.

What I like about Elena D is that she calls it as SHE sees it. I think she is a very intelligent girl and very perceptive.

Now that Nastya and Sveta have also made comments about Maria (and father), it seems like Elena was on the money.

Maybe Elena also heard Yuri? After all, Elena was the only Russian player (and top player) Maria had beaten prior to RG this year.

I sincerely believe there is more behind the scene stuff that goes on, that we, the general public never get to see.

t_fan
Nov 28th, 2004, 06:52 PM
I know a lot of girls in the 15-19 range. None of them has their dad around constantly.
He's with her all day every day. And at every match.

There are plenty of girls playing sports at 17 without their dad around.

There's nothing normal about this situation.

How many girls do you know who play at this level? Did you spy on them to be sure that she has him around all day? You do know about her childhood, do you find it's not normal that they are very close?

And her dad yelling from the friends box shows how dopey he is.
The friends box is for both players. He has no respect for others.
It's another matter. We discuss her alleged inability to play without her father. And it really belongs to her cheering thread and/or forum.

goldenlox
Nov 28th, 2004, 06:54 PM
I know girls who play sports. Not at that level. But they travel to play.
And their parents aren't with them.
Maria knows that needing her dad there is nonsense.
It's very childish.
Her dad is even more childish.

t_fan
Nov 28th, 2004, 06:57 PM
This whole Russian thing is crazy. Its turning into a circus.

What I like about Elena D is that she calls it as SHE sees it. I think she is a very intelligent girl and very perceptive.

Now that Nastya and Sveta have also made comments about Maria (and father), it seems like Elena was on the money.

Maybe Elena also heard Yuri? After all, Elena was the only Russian player (and top player) Maria had beaten prior to RG this year.

She really dislikes Masha. Don't think she has any warm feelings towards her dad. I hope she's reasonable enough to blurt her real opinions to the press.

I sincerely believe there is more behind the scene stuff that goes on, that we, the general public never get to see.
You're completely right on this. We could only make guesses based on little bits of information we deem plausible.

t_fan
Nov 28th, 2004, 06:58 PM
It's very childish.
So, in your definition, not normal means not like others you know. Is it so?

Timariot
Nov 28th, 2004, 07:15 PM
It's very childish.
At Sharapova's age, Hingis, Dokic, Williams^2 et all, always were accompanied by their mom/dad to everywhere.

the cat
Nov 28th, 2004, 08:02 PM
The season is finally over in women's tennis and it was a great year for the Russina's and that should be remembered instead of all the infighting and bad blood. At some point the Russina's are going to have to live with the fact that Maria Sharapova is a Russian citizen and move on.

goldenlox
Nov 29th, 2004, 02:15 PM
So, in your definition, not normal means not like others you know. Is it so?
Maria has been marketed as an underage masturbation fantasy for adult men.
Her dad and agent have been planning that for years.
That's why she's off to Thailand and Hong Kong.
It's why she skips the Kremlin Cup for Korea and Tokyo.
Maria is off to the corners of the earth where sexy pics of a 15, 16 year old means money.

There's nothing normal about this, and the other players aren't jealous of her.

t_fan
Nov 29th, 2004, 02:26 PM
<some questionable stuff omitted :lol:>
You evade my question again. Define your notion of normal.

goldenlox
Nov 29th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Normal for a 17 year old is to be embarrassed by your dad, when he acts like a jerk in public.

t_fan
Nov 29th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Normal for a 17 year old is to be embarrassed by your dad, when he acts like a jerk in public.
So you're pretty sure she's not been embarrassed by her father's actions. From what do you derive such a conclusion? Did you speak to her? Did she say in public or privately that she's proud of her dad about his antics?

goldenlox
Nov 29th, 2004, 04:19 PM
So you're pretty sure she's not been embarrassed by her father's actions. From what do you derive such a conclusion? Did you speak to her? Did she say in public or privately that she's proud of her dad about his antics?
You are a mental case. And I'll bet you're a Masha-bator.

miffedmax
Nov 29th, 2004, 04:24 PM
As she herself points out, Masha's only 17. I'm old enough to remember that (at 17) even Chris Evert was considered a bitch by the press and other players.

At 22, she was considered a class act and a great ambassador for the sport. Same for a lot of other players, including Hingis, V. Williams, etc.

So I'll withhold judgement for a while.

Max

goldenlox
Nov 29th, 2004, 04:25 PM
I don't think Maria is considered a bitch. In fact, she is very articulate and adult.
Her dad is the goofy one.

t_fan
Nov 29th, 2004, 04:29 PM
You are a mental case. And I'll bet you're a Masha-bator.
Now-now. I have nothing against you, there's no need to throw insults in my face. Just try to be rational. If you can not then I apologize :)

goldenlox
Nov 29th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Take it as a compliment.:D :wavey:
Maria is a beautiful 17 year old.:hearts: :drool: :lick:

the cat
Nov 29th, 2004, 04:33 PM
GL can be very rational. But for some reason she doesn't seem to like Masha as much as she used to. And it can't be because of her father, can it?

As for the bad blood between the Russina's it's inevitable in part becaus eof envy. But Sharapova has never ripped another Russina while others have ripped her.

goldenlox
Nov 29th, 2004, 04:36 PM
That's not true. I still think Maria is a great talent, and very mentally tough.
I respect her as much as I ever have.
Her dad, is another issue. And he's the cause of this current situation.

the cat
Nov 29th, 2004, 04:39 PM
If Yuri is really the cause of mounting problems for Maria the WTA Tour better deal with it before it hurts Maria's potentially great game and Kournikova like star power.

t_fan
Nov 29th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Take it as a compliment.:D :wavey:
Maria is a beautiful 17 year old.:hearts: :drool: :lick:
Well that's a dubious 'compliment' to put it mildly :)
I'm her fan not because of her looks. And the cat, you're right, jealousy and envy are in human nature and are inevitable, the difference lies in whether one can control it or not. It would be foolsh to vindicate the opinion that there's absolutely no jealousy going on between Russian girls.

goldenlox
Nov 29th, 2004, 04:42 PM
I don't think it's hurts Maria's game. Although she will be asked about it, Maria is very good at re-directing questions, or ignoring them.
Her game will be fine. Her star power will be fine.
The other players will have to listen to her dad's rants during matches. Unless the WTA steps in.

the cat
Nov 29th, 2004, 04:44 PM
There is envy. But that's life. Unfortunately Masha at the tender age of 17 has to deal with alot of envy and acrimonious feelings from some of her Russian compatriots. Oddly enough Masha gets along better with the American girls than the Russian girls.

miffedmax
Nov 29th, 2004, 05:41 PM
No of course its Maria envy, its the endorsements they've never been offered, the huge spotlight that follows her every move, her model-like looks compared to their homely looks, the billboard plasted over LA, they want their own slogan. Not to mention the hefty apperance fees and invitations to talk shows. :)

Bahaha wheres Epi? "Some Soviet-era hotel is missing their curtains". :lol:

ED homely? I think she's prettier than MS, and MS is damn pretty.

Sharapower
Nov 29th, 2004, 06:02 PM
GL, you're being pretty unfair about Maria. I wonder if you're not the real retard. LenaD used to have her mother in the grandstand all year long while mummy Dementieva was Lena's coach. So Lena is a retard too ?

In this kind of logic the only tennis player who's not a retard is Federer who doesn't have a coach. Hummm well no, he has his girlfriend who follows him during the season.

Geez, I realize all the professional players are retards. What a disappointment about human nature.

Sharapower
Nov 29th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Maria has been marketed as an underage masturbation fantasy for adult men.
Her dad and agent have been planning that for years.
That's why she's off to Thailand and Hong Kong.
It's why she skips the Kremlin Cup for Korea and Tokyo.
Maria is off to the corners of the earth where sexy pics of a 15, 16 year old means money.

OMG
GL YOU are the real mental case :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!

Emptiness
Nov 29th, 2004, 06:06 PM
ED homely? I think she's prettier than MS, and MS is damn pretty.I guess my sarcasm machine really was broken. Damn Party City owes me $29.95.

t_fan
Nov 29th, 2004, 06:57 PM
OMG
GL YOU are the real mental case :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!
You got to forgive a mujer al borde de un ataque de nervios :lol:

goldenlox
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Maria's dad couldn't hold a minimum wage job. Even at McDonalds, you can't yell at the customers.
He has no self control, and doesn't respect others.
I don't believe he ever held a job.

I think if Maria wasn't talented, he would be sleeping in a cardboard box.

goldenlox
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:10 PM
GL, you're being pretty unfair about Maria. LenaD used to have her mother in the grandstand all year long while mummy Dementieva was Lena's coach. So Lena is a retard too ?

Lena's mom doesn't yell at the players. Maria's dad makes himself look like an out of control fool.

And I'm not being unfair to Maria.This is her responsibility.
She needs to be held accountable for the people in her friends box.

the cat
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:43 PM
GL, don't you buy the touching story that Yuri worked odd jobs in Bradenton to support Maria's training at Bollettieri's until she got a full scholarship at age 9?

Masha really needs her mother travelling with her next year. :)

And can you imagine what the WTA Tour will be like in a few years when Dasha Sharapova and her omnipresent father Alexander join Maria and Yuri the WTA Tour? :eek: ;)

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 1st, 2004, 01:49 AM
Masha really needs her mother travelling with her next year.
Masha doesn't need Yelena on the tour. Masha looked so happy having all those men sitting by the courtside while she practise.

I've seen your posts about wanting to see Masha's mother traveling with her for about a year now, but I don't think it would ever happen. The Sharapov family seems to be happy with this arrangement.

clonesheep
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:13 AM
GL, don't you buy the touching story that Yuri worked odd jobs in Bradenton to support Maria's training at Bollettieri's until she got a full scholarship at age 9?

OK I am not GL, but just want to chime in. The whole "Yuri worked odd jobs to support Maria" story is, to me, the IMG party line to aid the Maria myth (in addition to her being born in Siberia and escaped Cherobyl, etc.) Tuition and board at Bollettieri cost over $30,000 per year. Even a middle-class family can barely afford sending a child there, lest a man "working odd jobs". In fact, except for the very few with scholarships, the majority of students in Bollettieri are from very rich families.

So, where did the money come from? The sum of at least $60,000 for Maria's expenses at Bollettieri from 7 to 9? Right after Wimbledon there were some reports that a kind couple, a doctor and his wife, helped Maria in her early career. My guess is that this couple, and possibly other private "sponsors" (very common among the Russian players) provided the money for Maria. Yuri probably worked odd jobs and earned some money for the family but no way did he ever contribute a lion's share to Maria's education.

At 9, Maria got the scholarship. At 10, IMG signed a contract with her. Yuri might have contributed to Maria's living/educational expenses for about 2 years but he has been living off his daughter's income for the last 7+ years. I do not consider this man "suffered".

As another unsolved mystery, how did Yuri & Maria get the visas to enter the US in the first place, with Yuri being able to legally work? I will get into that when I have more time.

the cat
Dec 1st, 2004, 02:13 PM
The leaving Chernobyl misinformation is from the media and not IMG. Siberia is nowhere near where the Chernobyl disaster occured. But all your other points are fair points and I don't have the answers. Especially about the visas.

goldenlox
Dec 1st, 2004, 02:13 PM
OK I am not GL, but just want to chime in. The whole "Yuri worked odd jobs to support Maria" story is, to me, the IMG party line to aid the Maria myth (in addition to her being born in Siberia and escaped Cherobyl, etc.) Tuition and board at Bollettieri cost over $30,000 per year. Even a middle-class family can barely afford sending a child there, lest a man "working odd jobs". In fact, except for the very few with scholarships, the majority of students in Bollettieri are from very rich families.

So, where did the money come from? The sum of at least $60,000 for Maria's expenses at Bollettieri from 7 to 9? Right after Wimbledon there were some reports that a kind couple, a doctor and his wife, helped Maria in her early career. My guess is that this couple, and possibly other private "sponsors" (very common among the Russian players) provided the money for Maria. Yuri probably worked odd jobs and earned some money for the family but no way did he ever contribute a lion's share to Maria's education.

At 9, Maria got the scholarship. At 10, IMG signed a contract with her. Yuri might have contributed to Maria's living/educational expenses for about 2 years but he has been living off his daughter's income for the last 7+ years. I do not consider this man "suffered".

As another unsolved mystery, how did Yuri & Maria get the visas to enter the US in the first place, with Yuri being able to legally work? I will get into that when I have more time.This is a very good post. Nick has already said that one of his spotters found Maria.
Anna was in Bradenton, and Nick knew she was going to earn a fortune.
He sent his people to eastern europe to find other young prodigies.

I saw a newspaper from March 2001, when Maria was 13. Eisenbud said Maria was like Anna, except when boys look at Maria, she doesn't look back.
Anna was on the cover of FHM in the summer of 2001 with the title - the sexiest athlete in sports history.
So even at 13, Maria was being marketed as an underage sex symbol.

But as far as bad blood goes, I know if one of my friends' father ever was to yell at me, I would never hang around with her if her dad was around.
So I'm sure the Fed Cup team doesn't want Maria around, if she brings her psycho, unemployed, big-mouth dad with her.

the cat
Dec 1st, 2004, 03:58 PM
Nick shouldn't have let the cat out of the bag about that one GL! :cat: I bet Team Sharapova wasn't thrilled with that slip up! :eek:

Wasn't that the New York Post Kourni-klona article GL? Max made Masha seem like a normal sweet girl in that piece if I recall correctly. :angel: :)

goldenlox
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I saw it at a Kournikova website.
And lets face it, Nick's academy is so expensive, the idea that Maria's dad paid for it for 2 years is comical.:lol:
He's had quite a free ride.
I think that's why he's a loud-mouthed mental case. No self worth.
He would have been better off if Maria was a regular kid, and he worked.
Like every other dad.

the cat
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:49 PM
When are you going to get off Yuri's back? I think he will be under pressure in 2005 to behave better for Maria's sake.

Epigone
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:01 AM
Yuri taunts and criticises Maria's opponents during matches.

Normal fathers don't do that.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:19 AM
(in addition to her being born in Siberia and escaped Cherobyl, etc.)
Yes, Masha was born in Siberia. But Masha didn't escape Chenobyl - it was Yelena (who was pregnant with Masha) and Yuri who left Belarus for Siberia (by the way, Yuri is Belarussian and his mother still lives there).
So, where did the money come from? The sum of at least $60,000 for Maria's expenses at Bollettieri from 7 to 9?
But according to a number of articles, Masha only started to train at Bollettieri when she was 9 years old ,and got the scholarship like what you've said.
Yuri might have contributed to Maria's living/educational expenses for about 2 years but he has been living off his daughter's income for the last 7+ years.
In the last 7+ years Yuri hasn't just been living off Masha's income for free, but he's worked with Masha as her coach. And it's quite obvious that without having Yuri around on the tour, Masha would not have been where she is now.
I do not consider this man "suffered".
Yuri wasn't suffered. But Yuri and Yelena did make sacrifice for Masha's career by being apart for 2 years.
As another unsolved mystery, how did Yuri & Maria get the visas to enter the US in the first place, with Yuri being able to legally work?
My guess is that maybe some tennis people in Russia hepled Yuri to get visa for himself and Masha. And this doesn't seem mystery to me because Yelena could only get visa to come to the US after 2 years.

goldenlox
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:09 PM
But according to a number of articles, Masha only started to train at Bollettieri when she was 9 years old ,and got the scholarship like what you've said.

My guess is that maybe some tennis people in Russia hepled Yuri to get visa for himself and Masha. And this doesn't seem mystery to me because Yelena could only get visa to come to the US after 2 years.You don't know this. You don't know if Maria's parents ever lived together in the U.S.
You don't know if he's a wife beater. You don't know what's going on.

You only know the dad is always around, and the mom is never around.

the cat
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:27 PM
From what I understand Maria trained at Bollettieri's for about 2 years on a partial scholarship and then she got a full scholarship at age 9 and that's when Yuri was able to stop taking the odd jobs he had taken for a couple of years to help pay for Masha's training.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:16 AM
You don't know this. You don't know if Maria's parents ever lived together in the U.S.
You don't know if he's a wife beater. You don't know what's going on.
Yes, I don't know.

But when I was talking to Yuri about Yelena in San Diego, he was talking about her in a loving way and called her Lena.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:06 AM
From what I understand Maria trained at Bollettieri's for about 2 years on a partial scholarship and then she got a full scholarship at age 9 and that's when Yuri was able to stop taking the odd jobs he had taken for a couple of years to help pay for Masha's training.
Thanks for this information!

goldenlox
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:08 PM
Yes, I don't know.

But when I was talking to Yuri about Yelena in San Diego, he was talking about her in a loving way and called her Lena.He has no excuse to act like a jerk during matches.
Just because he didn't strangle you, that doesn't mean anything.
I'm sure Damir Dokic can have a normal conversation at times.
So can O.J. Simpson.

the cat
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:05 PM
Being critical of Yuri for being a distraction and a jerk is your opinion GL. And you are not alone in that opinion. But comparing him to Damir Dokic and O.J. Simpson who are violent people as well as blatant liars is going to far. :(

goldenlox
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:12 PM
Is Damir Dokic violent? I didn't know.
O.J. was innocent.
Anyone who can disrespect Anastasia so badly, that she has to comment on it publicly, does he deserve to be treated with a lot of respect?

I'd like to see him apologize to Anastasia. And Maria should also.
She's responsible for who is in her friends box.

the cat
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:43 PM
O.J. was innocent? :rolleyes: Hardly. He got very lucky and that's all. He was found not guilty in criminal court and that's not innocent. But he was found guilty in Civil Court of double homicide.

Yuri needn't just apologize to Myskina. Myskina and Neilend said his behaviour in Maria's matches versus the Rsusians in LA was horrible. Thus he needs to apologize to Kuznetsova and Zvonareva as well. But it's funny how they haven't said anything about Yuri's bad behaviour in Masha's YEC matches against them. :confused:

goldenlox
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:56 PM
Anastasia took a leadership role, and spoke out.
It takes courage to do that. It's much easier to say nothing.

This thread started because Maria's dad was taunting Nadia.
That's a year and a half ago.
It's important for the players to make it known when a parent of another player is out of control.

~Rachel~
Dec 4th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Totally changing the subject here....

I've just been reading through the thread and someone mentioned that the Russian girls behaved badly towards to Zvonareva after she lost her fed cup match in 2003. I wasn't aware of this, can anyone tell me what happened?

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 4th, 2004, 03:36 AM
He has no excuse to act like a jerk during matches.
Just because he didn't strangle you, that doesn't mean anything.
Being critical of Yuri for being a distraction and a jerk is your opinion GL.
goldenlox, that's your opinion and I respect it.

But at San Diego Yuri had been nicer to me than Masha, so I often think of him in a positive way.

the cat
Dec 4th, 2004, 02:31 PM
I don't know if I believe that Rachel. I'm sure the girls were upset Vera lost 2 crucial singles matches against France. But I doubt they would take it out on Vera by treating her badly.

It seems K-LSF has a good opinion of Yuri Sharapov.

goldenlox
Dec 4th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Martin will ask Vera in January.
Maybe Maria's dad is capable of controlling himself, but doesn't want to.
When he's in the friends box, he's Maria's responsibility.

the cat
Dec 4th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Who is Martin, K-LSF?

goldenlox
Dec 4th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Martin is a Hantuchova fan who will interview Vera in January.

the cat
Dec 4th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Thanks.

pav
Dec 4th, 2004, 06:15 PM

:haha:

the cat
Dec 4th, 2004, 08:18 PM
What's so funny? Bugs Bunny? :confused:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 5th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Who is Martin?
Is it Martin = Epigone?

Epigone
Dec 5th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Is it Martin = Epigone?:wavey: Yes, I am Martin :)

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 5th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Yes, I am Martin
Then I think Vera is your #1 fave and Dani is #2. Am I right?

Epigone
Dec 5th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Then I think Vera is your #1 fave and Dani is #2. Am I right?You're right in saying that Bepa is my #1, but Daniela isn't my #2 :sad:.

Daniela is one of my favourite players, but there are some other players that I like more than her. I find it very difficult to rank my favourites, so I have Bepa at #1, and leave the others unranked :)

the cat
Dec 5th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Epi isn't the WTA World poster Martin is he?

goldenlox
Dec 5th, 2004, 06:10 PM
:wavey: Yes, I am Martin :)cat, you're not reading clearly.

the cat
Dec 5th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Okay. I re-read it and Epi is Martin. But the question is this: Is this the soccer loving Martin from Scotland who is also a Kournikova fan?

Epigone
Dec 6th, 2004, 01:07 AM
Okay. I re-read it and Epi is Martin. But the question is this: Is this the soccer loving Martin from Scotland who is also a Kournikova fan?No, I'm from Australia, and I'm a Zvonareva fan :)

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 6th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Okay. I re-read it and Epi is Martin. But the question is this: Is this the soccer loving Martin from Scotland who is also a Kournikova fan?
the cat, I thought you knew about Epigone well because I've seen you talkind to him quite often.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 6th, 2004, 09:26 AM
You're right in saying that Bepa is my #1, but Daniela isn't my #2.

Daniela is one of my favourite players, but there are some other players that I like more than her. I find it very difficult to rank my favourites, so I have Bepa at #1, and leave the others unranked
Thanks for letting me know about some of your fave players.

When Masha was playing Lena D recently, I also found it difficult to decide who I should cheer for.

Veritas
Dec 6th, 2004, 02:23 PM
I won't look too much into these so-called "spats". Myskina did mention she would 'walk out' of the Fed Cup Team if Maria were to join, but she made it clear that Maria's dad, Yuri, was the main reason why she would do it. She never specifically mentioned Maria's name as the culprit, so I don't see why there's any need to dig for any Sharapova-Myskina tensions. I'm also aware Myskina somehow questioned Maria's "Russian-ess" in one of the post-match interviews earlier this year. But the way the press has reported Myskina's words and skewed it into an anti-Maria statement should have fingers pointing at the reporters for being irresponsible, not Myskina. I wouldn't be surprised if Myskina had never attempted to question Maria's national loyalties in the first place.

I also remember how much shit poor Elena D had to cope with when she was accused of being a "bitch" towards Maria and Anna, accusing them of being somewhat 'disloyal' to mother Russia by living and training in the States.

When a journalist asked Elena whether she "resented" Anna for being more famous and well-known than her, she replied:

(Smiling) Of course not, Anna and I are good friends ...
(http://geocities.com/tennis_dementieva/)

I really can't seem to find the supposed "resentment" Elena felt towards Anna and Maria...

goldenlox
Dec 6th, 2004, 02:26 PM
The players are very competitive. They might say things that sound insulting.
They all believe in themselves.

But it's rare when a player points a finger at a family member in the friends box, the way Myskina and Neiland did.
That's a news story.

the cat
Dec 6th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Then you're not the Martin I was thinking of, Epi.

Musashino, there is no spat between Myskina nd Sharapova. It's Myskina who talks about Maria and her father while Masha says nothing.

Veritas
Dec 6th, 2004, 02:29 PM
But it's rare when a player points a finger at a family member in the friends box, the way Myskina and Neiland did.
That's a news story.

Well, Yuri's behaviour in some of Maria's matches aren't exactly common either...

Veritas
Dec 6th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Musashino, there is no spat between Myskina nd Sharapova. It's Myskina who talks about Maria and her father while Masha says nothing.

That's what I was referring to. There is no 'conflict' between Myskina and Maria. Myskina's beef is with Maria's dad, not Maria herself. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Myskina used Yuri's antics as a thinly veiled attempt to have a dig at Maria (indirectly)...

the cat
Dec 6th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Myskina has problems with Maria. And her snippy comments about Maria since Wimbledon prove that.

goldenlox
Dec 6th, 2004, 02:40 PM
I think Anastasia would like to be friends with all the Russian players.
She probably believes that Maria should have some responsibility for her dad's behavior.
I think Maria should be accountable for her friends box.

the cat
Dec 6th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Maria has enough things to worry about. She shouldn't have to take time to police her box. If Yuri is really a problem then the WTA Tour will rectify the situation one way or another becauzse they won't let what happened to Dokic happen to Sharapova.

goldenlox
Dec 6th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Didn't US Open officials force Damir Dokic to leave the grounds?
I remember a picture of Jelena crying, as she walked behind her dad.
Maria should have handled this a long time ago.
All the WTA can do is ban her dad from the tournament site.

the cat
Dec 6th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Yes the U.S. Open officials forced Damir Dokic off the U.S. Open grounds. I hope Max, Maria's mom, Lansdorp or Bollettieri or the WTA Tour can help this situation correct itself before it's too late and Yuri becomes a major problem for Masha.

goldenlox
Dec 6th, 2004, 03:13 PM
I think Maria is the only person with the power to change Maria's dad's behavior.
That's why I wanted her to get her own lawyer.
So she can control her money, and who gets it.

the cat
Dec 6th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Maria controls her own money and has her prize money wired into her bank accounts. She said that on the "Today Show" after she won Wimbledon. Matt Lauer asked Maria what she did with the money she got for winning Wimbledon and she said she had it wired into one of her bank accounts. That way it's her money and no one else can get their hands on it. She's a smart girl GL. Masha has it together on and off the court. And for all we know she could have her own lawyer.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 7th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Myskina has problems with Maria...
"Myskina has problems with Maria" maybe only after she lost to Masha at the YEC? (having already won over Masha 3 times this year).

the cat
Dec 7th, 2004, 02:33 PM
I noticed that too, K-LSF. ;)

goldenlox
Dec 7th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Maria's dad was giving Anastasia problems long before the YEC.
Just read Anastasia's interview at Indian Wells after beating Maria.
Question after question about the wacky dad.

the cat
Dec 7th, 2004, 03:05 PM
It's over with GL. Things will be okay in 2005 between Maria and her opponents. I'm sure her father has been advised to tone it down.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 17th, 2004, 03:42 AM
I don't think I'm teaching Maria anything. She plans on being in high school for another few years
And her dad will be at every match. Nastya will be thrilled to read that.
That's right.

...Some ugliness occurred last month when French Open champion Anastasia Myskina threatened to quit Russia's Fed Cup team if Sharapova joins the squad, saying she doesn't like Sharapova's father, Yuri.

Sharapova won't ask her father to stay away from her matches.

"He's been with me throughout my whole life and my whole career,'' she said. "He's put so much effort and so much desire into trying to help me any way he can.''

Russian Fed Cup coach Shamil Tapischev said last month that Sharapova agreed to play next year. Sharapova said her representatives are talking to Tapischev, but nothing has been finalized. Sharapova, an only child, is extremely close to her parents. Even though she turns 18 in April, she's in no hurry to move out and be on her own. "I love my parents,'' she said. "I trust them so much that I don't feel I need to get rid of them.''
By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer. December 15, 2004

the cat
Dec 17th, 2004, 02:42 PM
GL, you shouldn't have Yuri Sharapov on your mind during the joyous holiday season. ;)

By the way Miss Lox, wait until Dasha Sharapova and Maria's Uncle Alex join the WTA Tour in a few years. :D From what I've read Uncle Alex seems to be alot like his brother Yuri. :eek: ;)