PDA

View Full Version : Northern State

Rtael
Oct 11th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Anyone heard of this group? I love them.....thier my favorite group (Alanis is still my favorite overall though!)

They are a rap/hip-hop group and if you haven't heard of them you ca go here www.northernstate.net and click on music on the elft side and you can download like 4 of their songs.....I love their music :hearts:

Listen to their songs and you can tell their not the typical rap group..... (my favorite song for now is Vicious Cycle)

sartrista7
Oct 11th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Northern State are a riot :hearts: The album is incredibly funny, dorky, self-conscious, self-indulgent, flows like wine, and grooves like an epileptic whore. They rhyme "skort" with "chocolate torte"!

Rtael
Oct 11th, 2003, 05:29 PM
awww come on this great group deserves some attention =P

Here's the lyrics to one of their songs.....

Well, okay, nevermind, their not popular enough to be on lyrics sites yet...and I'm too lazy to do it myself....but here's part of an article I found on a site that should help clue you in to what kind of group they are:

"Vicious Cycle" contains the following lines: "Who owns the wall space in this big city/the companies have billboards but that shit ain't pretty/government busy scrubbing true art off the wall/the voices of the people and the freedom scrawl." Finally! It's such a breath of fresh air to hear angry, socially conscious lyrics like this in rap again. Especially when it hits just as hard as '80s greats Public Enemy and Run DMC. I know that this type of rap never really died out, MTV and radio just quietly cast it aside. Ironically, Northern State is now the perfect packaged commodity for MTV: three white girls rapping about social injustice. It's not quite as themed as the White Stripes, but it's still a rare commodity ready to be exploited. Thankfully, Northern State seem to have it in their heads to stay away from the co-opting network. Which is good because it will help prevent them from getting lumped in with all the other denizens of commerical rap's platinum plated gutter that they are rallying against.

from http://www.ink19.com/issues/september2003/musicReviews/musicN/northernState.html

Rtael
Oct 12th, 2003, 06:17 AM
*bump*

Barrie_Dude
Oct 12th, 2003, 06:31 AM
BUMP

Rtael
Oct 12th, 2003, 06:48 AM
yeah, your bump is better....come on, anyone actually tried listening to their songs...?

Barrie_Dude
Oct 12th, 2003, 06:50 AM
yeah, your bump is better....come on, anyone actually tried listening to their songs...?
Nope!