PDA

View Full Version : Sigh, is nothing sacred anymore.....

BCP
Oct 10th, 2003, 12:54 PM
First Victoria Beckham, now Kylie, who next? Holly Valance? The Fast Food Rockers?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3180340.stm

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

decemberlove
Oct 10th, 2003, 01:01 PM
misunderstanding

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 10th, 2003, 01:03 PM
:eek:

Yeah, but Kylie has pretty um *mumble, mumble, mumble* .....

BCP
Oct 10th, 2003, 01:09 PM
:eek:

Yeah, but Kylie has pretty um *mumble, mumble, mumble* .....

no talent? You're right...........

Actually that's disrespectful. Kylie is good at wearing the clothes that her stylist picks out for her and singing songs that her record sompany buys for her..........

decemberlove
Oct 10th, 2003, 01:10 PM
i dont blame kylie or victoria. they dont havemuch talent so they have to conform to what is popular to stay on the charts.

i point the blame at the artists helping them write the song. they should stay true to their own self and love for hte music.

BCP
Oct 10th, 2003, 01:18 PM
That's partly true decemberlove. I agree. But sometimes when people say "Ms Dynamite writes song for Kylie" what it can actually mean is that "Song written by Ms Dynamite floating around record company vaults is given to kylie".

Case in point, Can't get you out of my head was turned down by over 6 artists before it came to Kylie. "Hit me baby one more time" was turned down by TLC before it came to Britney.

hey, I don't hate Kylie. She provides a lot of satisfaction and entertainment to her many fans, and that's her job. But she should stick to what she does well.ie singing pop songs. she doesn't have the voice to sing soul & R & B- she isn't Angie Stone, Jill Scott, or Caron Wheeler, and she looks like she is jumping on a bandwagon that's 2 years old.

Look what happened when deconstruction gave her full creative control. Two disasterous albums sales wise. she was without a record label. EMI only signed her on the proviso that she made a pop album under their direction, and that they would ahve full control of the marketing of the singles including the videos....hey presto 2 major selling ablums. With these behind her, she's probably in a better position to wrestle back some of that control..........

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 10th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Kylie is good at wearing the clothes that her stylist picks out for her and singing songs that her record sompany buys for her..........

So?

BCP
Oct 10th, 2003, 02:57 PM
So good for her. That's what her fans expect of her, and she does it to the satisafaction of her fans.....you can't ask anymore than that.......

Cybelle Darkholme
Oct 10th, 2003, 03:50 PM
so of you are way out of line in here. Where does it say just because you have a great voice that you have talent writing songs? They are two different areas and being talented in one does not automatically mean you are talented in the other. And if youre not then guess what? You have to buy your songs from people who write them. If those people are other singers who do write or just people who can only write, who cares?

I've never heard kylie sing a rnb song but it doesnt mean she can't.

Martian Willow
Oct 10th, 2003, 03:54 PM
...I'm still a bit confused about what's supposed to be sacred...?...Ms Dynamite, ffs...? :confused:

BCP
Oct 10th, 2003, 04:11 PM
You're right. I'm not down on artists who aren't song writers and vice versa believe me.. I guess where I'm coming from is that there's seems that artists like kylie and Victoria jump on the latest bandwagon to sell records. They don't really have any musical identity except what's popular at the moment (and in this case, they look slightly reidiculous becuase teh R&B bandwagon s over 2 years old).

What ends up happening is that there is this half-baked attempt which is packaged and sold to the masses and is represented as soul/R&B whatever. Hey I don't begrudge people liking what they like,and if they want to go out and buy that fine.

However, what I have a problem with is that this then becomes what the masses perceive is soul/R&B. What happens then is that talented artists who struggle to get record deals or the commercial succes that they deserve are further marginalised because people run out and buy the Kylie record instead. In the UK, incredibly talented artists such as Shaun escoffrey, terri Walker, Full Flava and many more struggle to get any sort of mainstream success. Artists such as carleen Anderson and Mica Paris, D'influence and many others struggle to stay signed with a label, or have to start their own label just to have their music heard. Additionally incredibly talented vocalists such as david Lynden Hall, Caron Wheeler, N'dea davenport, Jocelyn Brown the list goes on and on are without record deals.

On the stateside, artists like Vivian Green, Dwele, and Donnie struggle to get the commerical success to match their professional accolades and reviews. The same can be said for erykah Badu, Angie Stone and many others.

An artist like Kylie or Victoria decides that she is suddenly urban, and teams up with whoever is the flavour of the month, and sells a truckload, while people who have been in the genre for many years, who have produced incredible material struggle to get the recognition they deserve. That's my point, and apologies if it has been expressed in a slight sarcastic way............