PDA

View Full Version : Best Grand Slam match of the year in women's tennis

JennyS
Oct 8th, 2003, 10:55 PM
What is the best women's Grand Slam match this year?

CapFan#1
Oct 8th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Justine vs Jen USOPEN S/F!

HANDS DOWN THE BEST THIS YEAR!!

TM
Oct 8th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Roland Garros Simple Dames Championship!!

surfinggirl
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:05 PM
Juju vs Serena Roland Garros 2003
Juju vs Davenport Australian Open 2003
Juju vs Capriati US Open 2003
and also Els vs Serena Wimbledon 2002
Harkleroad vs Hantuchova Roland Garros 2003
Davenport vs Serena US Open (think 2002??)
and many more

TennisLurker
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:06 PM
I believe the match Justine and Lindsay played in Australia was better than the us open semis against Capriati.

Trish101
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Give me a break, JennyS everyone who says that the U. open Semis wasnt the best either is incredebly stupid, or they know it was the best and are angry that there favs werent the ones playing the match...Juju/Davenport Aussie open wasnt the best, i was there...it was good it wasnt AS good!

Gowza
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:14 PM
justine vs. jen at the us open in terms of quality of tennis and intensity.

ashley vs dani was pretty good due to the up and down momentum of the match switching from one player to another but i'm not to into those matches i prefer quality.

and i guess serena vs loit was good because of the surprise factor, no one expected loit to stick with serena let alone get that close to beating her.

but my personal fav is the justine/jen us open match.

bandabou
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:15 PM
I believe the match Justine and Lindsay played in Australia was better than the us open semis against Capriati.

People booed Serena when she took the time-out against Kim in the finals, when she clearly had blisters.Saying that she was faking and stuff.....but are making a hero out of Justine whom suffers from cramps, but starts running faster after the cramps both times! Against Lindsay she hit a second-serve ace after she fell down with cramps.

Knizzle
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:18 PM
People booed Serena when she took the time-out against Kim in the finals, when she clearly had blisters.Saying that she was faking and stuff.....but are making a hero out of Justine whom suffers from cramps, but starts running faster after the cramps both times! Against Lindsay she hit a second-serve ace after she fell down with cramps.

That's the difference between Juju and Serena, plus Juju was playing Lindsay whereas Serena was playing adopted Aussie Kim Clijsters.

Trish101
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:26 PM
Knizzle why dont you go over to our 'little thread' bitch? are you scared that my argument was true?

Trish101
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:27 PM
:devil: but i understand if you dont...if i were you id be too scared

Knizzle
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:48 PM
Awww....Trish you were worried about me. I guess you really do care. :hug: Trishie is going soft on me.

bandabou
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:48 PM
That's the difference between Juju and Serena, plus Juju was playing Lindsay whereas Serena was playing adopted Aussie Kim Clijsters.

Those damn double standards....

SerenaSlam
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:51 PM
i picked this one b/c the quality was up through out. 2nd would be justine and lindsay.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:01 AM
daniela-ashley(its actually the only one ive seen but i liked it)

SerenaSlam
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:05 AM
i just don't see why anyone would pick the jennifer and justine match. it was all drama.

and let me explain drama. the drama in matches don't even come till the end more than half the time. and in this case the drama didn't come till the end. the quality wasn't all that great to me, and the drama didn't happen till the middle of the third set. so why anyone can say that they like the drama filled matches is beyond me. they come like 2-3 times a year. and the drama isn't even there till the end of the match.

Trish101
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:11 AM
well Drama AS well as Quality are essential in making a classic, the match you chose may have had quality hitting, but virtualy no drama, so who cares? BUT when you have a match that has BOTH elements you have yourself a classic, no, it wasnt the best in terms of quality but there was quality points and mix that with Drama=gold standard of 2003!

see where im going?

PointBlank
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Wimbledon
Asagoe def. Hantuchova

Hots4Safin
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:24 AM
Jen/Justine was great, but since I'm not a huge fan of Capriati and i downright loathe Hymin-Hardon, i'm not going to vote for it.

I'm going for Serena/Kim AO semis. There is absolutely no one who could have told me Serena was going to win that match at 3-6 6-4 1-5...but she showed more heart than I've ever seen in order to keep the Serena Slam alive. It was hot.

Serena/Capriati Wimb 1/4's was a good one too, although getting a bit stale as Serena owns that rivalry.

Hingiswinsthis
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:38 AM
I can't believe this is still being discussed;) you go JuJu and Jenn:D

Martian Willow
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Wimbledon
Asagoe def. Hantuchova

...I don't know if I'd call that a great match...but it was kind of surreal at the time... :)

tommyk75
Oct 9th, 2003, 05:21 AM
Justine vs. Jenny was indeed high quality. It featured amazing rallies, hard hitting, and also variety (from Henin, at least). A lot of those errors came after long, intense rallies. It was the best match I've seen in a long, long while.

fleemke³
Oct 9th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Juju vs Capriati US Open 2003
Juju vs Serena Roland Garros 2003
Juju vs Davenport Australian Open 2003

It's nice to have your fav playing the nicest matches of the year :D AND WINNING THEM :worship:;)

Lady
Oct 9th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Exactly, fleemke!! You read my thoughs!! :D

Cilla
Oct 9th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Jenny and Henin completely. Had it all, drama and great tennis throughout.

XMan
Oct 9th, 2003, 10:57 AM
It seems to be an overwhelming victory for the Justine vs Jennifer USO SF

schris
Oct 9th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Justine vs Serena RG 2003
Justine vs Capriati US Open 2003
Justine vs Davenport AO 2003

The Crow
Oct 9th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Justine-Serena RG, no question about it.

Hagar
Oct 9th, 2003, 12:53 PM
At my age, few things can keep me awake all night.
But I had no problems staying awake during Justine vs. Jennifer. Absolutely awesome match. Great fighting spirit from Justine.

I also thought that Kim vs. Jennifer in Stanford and Kim vs. Amélie in Rome were very good matches.
I did not see Justine vs. Lyndsay (was in Australia but on a trip that day). Justine vs. Serena would have been better if there would not have been the discussion about this one serve.

Hagar
Oct 9th, 2003, 12:54 PM
OK, now I see it's about matches in a Grand Slam.

Rub
Oct 9th, 2003, 12:59 PM
justine vs jennifer!

great match! :dance:

DA FOREHAND
Oct 9th, 2003, 02:04 PM
justine -v- Serena Wimbledon 03
Kim -v- Serena A.O.
justine -v- Venus A.O.
kim -v- Venus Wimbledon

honorable mention
justine -v- Jennifer US Open

pigam
Oct 9th, 2003, 02:09 PM
justine -v- Serena Wimbledon 03
justine -v- Venus A.O.

Ok, I can see why YOU think those where great matches ;) But are you serious?? Sure Venus played great against Ju @ the AO, but that was NOT a good match in my opinion ... in fact 2 of my favs (Ju & Vee)havn't played too many great matches against eachother IMHO, exept maybe Amelia Island, and that match I didn't see! :(

JennyS
Oct 9th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Wow, the Justine vs Jennifer match is winning in a landslide.

Leo_DFP
Oct 10th, 2003, 12:08 AM
Justine vs Jen USOPEN S/F!

HANDS DOWN THE BEST THIS YEAR!!

Nah, the best women's match I've ever seen in my life. That was just pure gold.

:worship: Juju :worship: Jen :worship:

IMO, neither of those Hantuchova chokes were particularly enjoyable to watch. Quite painful, actually.

Knizzle
Oct 10th, 2003, 12:35 AM
Why was Serena/Clijsters AO not on the list.

Leo_DFP
Oct 10th, 2003, 12:37 AM
Why was Serena/Clijsters AO not on the list.

Maybe because it wasn't a good match?! Sure, it had tons of drama, but neither player was close to top form. Really low-quality. The Justine-Venus semi may have been much shorter but it was also better, IMO.

Knizzle
Oct 10th, 2003, 12:48 AM
Maybe because it wasn't a good match?! Sure, it had tons of drama, but neither player was close to top form. Really low-quality. The Justine-Venus semi may have been much shorter but it was also better, IMO.

Juju and Jen made over 110 errors I believe. Serena/Kim had tons of drama also. Kim had a chance to stop the Serena Slam and she served for the match twice and had 2 match points on Serena's serve I believe. 6 straight games to rip the match away from Kim, from the brink of defeat.

CanadianBoy21
Oct 10th, 2003, 12:53 AM
The best match is not even on the poll. It is Serena vs. Kim.
:rolleyes:
After that one, it is Jenn against Justine.
Kim DID have match points, and soo much was on the line. (like Serena having the chance to win the Grand Slam.)

Leo_DFP
Oct 10th, 2003, 12:59 AM
The best match is not even on the poll. It is Serena vs. Kim.
:rolleyes:
After that one, it is Jenn against Justine.
Kim DID have match points, and soo much was on the line. (like Serena having the chance to win the Grand Slam.)

And does quality mean nothing to you?

Jericho
Oct 10th, 2003, 01:00 AM
Juju and Jen made over 110 errors I believe.

thats exactly why i dont know why everyone is praising the match as the best, i admit it was good because of the drama but it isnt too fun to watch someone choke. And dont give me that they counted wrong blah blah blah...