PDA

View Full Version : What do the top 10 players need to work on??

Knizzle
Oct 8th, 2003, 08:46 PM
How can the top ten players improve their games?? Here's what I've come up with:

Clijsters: Mental fortitude, Aggressiveness, increase play at the net, add mph to serve.

Henin: Increase strength to absorb power. Focus more on hardcourt and grass game by learning how to take the ball earlier and grab control of the rallies. Improve first serve %. Increase play at the net against the top players.

Serena: Work on the traditional volley. Learn how to be more patient. Learn how to hit a better dropshot. Keep emotion in check. Cut down unnecessary UFE's.

Davenport: Increase flexibility 100%. Do agility drills. Increase play at the net. Improve attitude 100%.

Capriati: Be more agressive. Get in better shape. Make backhand into a weapon. Improve accuracy of serve with pace. Cut down DF's. Keep calm during controversial moments.

Venus: Increase first serve % to 65 and up consistenly. Second serve needs improvement, needs to be struck more boldly. Follow through on the forehand, don't pull up. Increase play at net even more. Cut out unnecessary UFE's

Mauresmo: Maintain mental stability through matches. Improve first and second serve.

Dementieva: Improve first serve and drastically improve second serve. Construct points better. Improve volley.

Myskina: Improve both serves. Keep level of play consistent from match-to-match.

Rubin: Turn backhand into a weapon. Show up for every match. Improve fitness.

mexicotrip
Oct 8th, 2003, 08:50 PM
you gave more Serena and Justine to work on than you did Myskina and Chanda...otherwise

good analysis.

Knizzle
Oct 8th, 2003, 08:52 PM
you gave more Serena and Justine to work on than you did Myskina and Chanda...otherwise

good analysis.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Myskina and I really can't think of anymore things that Chanda can do to improve.

bandabou
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Good analysis, but I wouldn´t tell Serena to hide her emotions. It´s when she´s emotional that she´s playing well. A non-emotional Serena is a non-trying Serena.

Knizzle
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Good analysis, but I wouldn´t tell Serena to hide her emotions. It´s when she´s emotional that she´s playing well. A non-emotional Serena is a non-trying Serena.

I didn't say hide it, I said keep it in check. When she gets riled up she makes nothing, but errors. She gives away whole games sometimes just on errors from being upset.

j_dementieva27
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:34 PM
ok hers my take on it.. nicwe thread too:

1. Kim Clijsters: Needs to work on being MUCH more agressive, if she was she wouldnt need to do those spilts so often [thus resulting in injury]... she also needs to work up up confidence and mental strength in big matches [aka GRAND SLAM FINALS!!!]

2. Justine Henin-Hardenne: Needs to come to net more [perhaps playing some doubles would help?]... also needs to work on the first serve percentage

3. Serena Williams: I agree, serena needs to work on drop shots and slices... her volleys are NOT BAD.. she needs to learn how to be patient

4. Lindsey Davenport: Overall, needs to work on her movement and overall attitude on the court... davenport tends to get down on herself after missing, say, 4 shots? ... granted thats alot but she has the level that can turn that around quickly... i agree agility drills

5. Jennifer Capriati: Improve that mental instabilty that we have seen... also lose some pounds, IMPROVE HER SERVE, and dont be afraid to whack her backhand.. also maybe she should practice serving for a match at 5-3 [yes, im still bitter about that]

6. Venus Williams: Improve first serve percent, and dont be afriad on her second serve... and for GODS SAKE GET TO NET MORE!!... also stay healthy

7. Amelie Mauresmo: Also needs to stay healthy physically and mentally... bigger serves, less DF's ... maybe she should change her service motion [ive notice it is rather choppy]... she should also go for hits more, give more power... mixing it up is good but i want to see her hit the hell out of the ball

8. Elena Dementieva: SECOND SERVE NEEDS TO BE AT LEAST 15 MPH FASTER, AND MUCH LESS PREDICTABLE [ie slice down the middle/out] ... elena needs to work on consistantcy and using her backhand as a weapon [like she did in the Amelia Island final vs. Davenport] .. also she needs to consturct points instead of always whacking the ball

9. Anastasia Myskina: needs to be much MUCH more consistant [like shes on a hot streak right now but remember earlier this year when she won Sarasouta and then lost first round to Mary Pierce]... imporve her serves, make them faster... needs to work on her volleys also

10. Chanda Rubin: work on her backhand... and fitness... and her serve needs to be much faster and more consistant... also she needs to step up in all of her matches whether how big or how small

Andrew.
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Both of you gave great observations :D

bello
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:27 AM
I dont really think Jennifer needs to lose any pounds. she just needs to lose the junk weighing her head down!

If Kim was to work on those things above she may be threatenoing for no.1 even with Serena and Venus back in the mix.

Trish101
Oct 9th, 2003, 04:19 AM
too true about Jennifer, i think all of those observations are good, id also add "add net game to your repotoire" although im a bit offended that you told her to loose weight, shes running well and keeping up with the younger girls fine, so i think that was a lil rude.....rep points for Knizzle though! ;)

Knizzle
Oct 9th, 2003, 04:22 AM
too true about Jennifer, i think all of those observations are good, id also add "add net game to your repotoire" although im a bit offended that you told her to loose weight, shes running well and keeping up with the younger girls fine, so i think that was a lil rude.....rep points for Knizzle though! ;)

I said get in better shape, I never said she had to lose weight.

banana
Oct 9th, 2003, 04:37 AM
When jennifer is confident she comes to net enuff! just look at the stats at the Us open

esquímaux
Oct 9th, 2003, 04:47 AM
ok hers my take on it.. nicwe thread too:

5. Jennifer Capriati: ......also maybe she should practice serving for a match at 5-3 [yes, im still bitter about that]

:lol: :lol: :lol: LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: