PDA

View Full Version : If tennis were like figure skating........

JennyS
Oct 8th, 2003, 05:36 PM
If tennis were like figure skating........

1. Players would be classified as “Slam eligible” and professional instead of amateur and professional.
2. Players would have to choose between the Grand Slams/ITF circuit or the WTA Tour
3. Players would have to get permission to appear in exhibitions
4. Television networks would show up-close-and-personal pieces on players after every set
5. Most tournaments would be televised on 1-2 week tape delay
6. Commentators would gush that a player’s technique was “first rate”
7. Players would sit in the “kiss and cry” during changeovers
8. Fans would throw stuffed animals and flowers down on the court after matches
9. Players would be forced to curtsy after every match
10. Players would wear tennis outfits covered with beads, feathers, glitter, sequins and other fabrics
11. The USTA would host its own invitational tournaments, with fields of 8 players and pretend it was as important as real tournaments
12. Slam eligible players would be allowed to earn millions of dollars a year, but would still be interchangeably called amateurs by the media and players
13. Fans would claim their favorite player “wuz robbed” by a bad line call
14. Lifetime would televise doubles and follow players around during tournaments
15. Al Trautwig and Tom Hammond would commentate for tennis tournaments

Ballbuster
Oct 8th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Serena and Venus would land Quadruple jumps at random while the other girlz struggle with triples.

lee station
Oct 8th, 2003, 05:43 PM
If tennis were like figure skating........ah... :hearts:

alexusjonesfan
Oct 8th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Both players would hit against a wall one after another and 8 judges would mark them on their power and their shot-making on a 6 point scale. 5 scores would be randomly chosen and winner would be chosen :)

salima
Oct 8th, 2003, 06:01 PM
All players would have had blue marks on their bums.
;)
BTW tennisskating could be an idea

vs1
Oct 8th, 2003, 06:01 PM
players would wear frilly outfits and we'd be able to see the men's players' packages!!! :lol:

Hey...I think the Australian Open is actually advocating that!!! :lol: :lol:

*abby*
Oct 8th, 2003, 06:50 PM
i love skatin that wud b so cool!literally!!!no more sweaty tennis stars...not that i mind

lee station
Oct 8th, 2003, 06:53 PM
:hearts: I'm already getting a cold *aaatchoooo* lol :lol:

Martian Willow
Oct 8th, 2003, 07:07 PM
...it would be just like the nineteen sixties then... :)

propi
Oct 8th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Then Russia would rule forever and Canadians would be good at it :)

Daniel
Oct 8th, 2003, 07:55 PM
and who would be th eMichelle Kwan of tennis?? Martina Hingis :kiss:

Ballbuster
Oct 8th, 2003, 07:57 PM
and who would be th eMichelle Kwan of tennis?? Martina Hingis :kiss:

sorry kid, hasbeens rarely repeat at an attempt of medaling in figure skating.

alfajeffster
Oct 8th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Women's Tennis is VERY much like Women's Figure Skating and almost exactly like Women's Gymnastics. Every 2-3 years a brand new crop of cute little pre-teen blonde girls in poneytails or pigtails is introduced to the world as the next group of phenoms here to save the game, and the tennis public, like so many sheep, eat it up and just keep on grazing for the next big disappointment from a girl who could be a model, but most likely will never amount to anything resembling a tennis champion.

Then along come the Williams Sisters, out of this machine loop, and piss everyone off by learning to play tennis and smashing the Chrissie clone mold, and voila! Tennis isn't dead after all. I'm so glad Steffi didn't pass the torch to anyone but Serena!!!!

Volcana
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:04 PM
If tennis were like figure skating........

ROTFLMAO!! However, should this actually come to pass, I would simply kill whoever was in charge and put it back the way it is now. Figure Skating!?!? Brrrrr....

bandabou
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Women's Tennis is VERY much like Women's Figure Skating and almost exactly like Women's Gymnastics. Every 2-3 years a brand new crop of cute little pre-teen blonde girls in poneytails or pigtails is introduced to the world as the next group of phenoms here to save the game, and the tennis public, like so many sheep, eat it up and just keep on grazing for the next big disappointment from a girl who could be a model, but most likely will never amount to anything resembling a tennis champion.

Then along come the Williams Sisters, out of this machine loop, and piss everyone off by learning to play tennis and smashing the Chrissie clone mold, and voila! Tennis isn't dead after all. I'm so glad Steffi didn't pass the torch to anyone but Serena!!!!

:lol: ;)

¤CharlDa¤
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:21 PM
Some player are already curstying and turning on court

:kiss: to Venus!

Hots4Safin
Oct 9th, 2003, 02:39 AM
The Williams Sisters would never win if they were judged. They would constantly be getting silver and bonze medals. They HAVE to play a sport in which things are black and white otherwise the judges would have them in grey outfits for years.

TM
Oct 9th, 2003, 04:05 AM
.....it would certainly look like this fo shure!

http://www.wtnphotos.com/data/3082/3533justinebackhand4_2003aug9.jpg

tommyk75
Oct 9th, 2003, 04:15 AM
And of course, appearances and "style" would count for a whole lot more than it does even now. In other words, Kournikova would've won a bunch of titles, while Davenport and Serena W. would be penalized time and time again for their "lack of grace." :( Skating is such a subjective and hypocritical sport. Thank God tennis outgrew shamateruism and Open Tennis became reality.

Still, you gotta love Michelle Kwan. :)

Sam L
Oct 9th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Figure Skating is a lot like Tennis, period.

1/. The unique scoring systems.
2/. The idea of the grand slam.
3/. The elegance and flair of the sport.
4/. The relative popularity of the female in the sports are much higher than females in other sports.

Sam L
Oct 9th, 2003, 04:26 AM
Martina Hingis would still be winning major championships. :) Justine Henin-Hardenne will be having a nice rivalry with her. The Williams sisters will do well in the technical aspects but not in artistic quality, which means they'll get medals just not Gold. Lindsay Davenport will no longer be in the sport and neither will Monica Seles nor Jennifer Capriati.

Trish101
Oct 9th, 2003, 04:27 AM
If tennis were like Figure skating , Jennifer capriati would be Tonya harding, knoking out Serenas knee caps and winning the gold medal in athens! GO JENNY!

Trish101
Oct 9th, 2003, 04:30 AM
and of course being the class act that she is would, in her acceptance speech (after bitch slapping Venus, 6-0 6-1) "get well soon Serena, so that i can beat your black ghetto ass once again.! I LOVE YOU MY PUBLIC AND THANK YOU ATHENS FOR YOUR SUPPORT! MUAH!!!...oooh and thanks Mathew...i cant wait for our wedding night! ;)"

:devil:

Sam L
Oct 9th, 2003, 04:41 AM
If tennis were like Figure skating , Jennifer capriati would be Tonya harding, knoking out Serenas knee caps and winning the gold medal in athens! GO JENNY!
This is a possiblity. :lol:

Knizzle
Oct 9th, 2003, 04:53 AM
I would give Venus' celebration at Wimbledon 2000 a 10.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/sports/2000/07/08/womens_6200.500.mov

Trish101
Oct 9th, 2003, 05:50 AM
its probably true too Sam! :lol:!!

tommyk75
Oct 9th, 2003, 08:40 AM
After a doubles match, Svetlana K. would say, "In our match, we tried to express a beautiful friendship blossoming." Martina N: "Yes, the spin on my lefty serve was meant to represent that friendship, like life, doesn't always move in a straight line." Svetlana: "Yes, and my winning touch volley on match point symbolizes the tenderness needed between good friends."