PDA

View Full Version : Would you vote for Martina?

alfajeffster
Oct 7th, 2003, 11:36 PM
She has announced that she's interested in politics, and she wasn't being funny (by most accounts- except for the Arnold quip). Would you vote for her- that is, assuming you're old enough to vote?!?

arcus
Oct 7th, 2003, 11:41 PM
yup

TennisLurker
Oct 7th, 2003, 11:51 PM
The lesbian or Hingis?

CondiLicious
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Depends what her policies were. I wouldn't vote for her just because she is a tennis player and I like tennis or just because our sexuality is the same.

Sam L
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:28 AM
Depends what her policies were. I wouldn't vote for her just because she is a tennis player and I like tennis or just because our sexuality is the same.
She's liberal and will be running for the Democrats I believe. What more could you want?

Go Martina! If I was an American, I'd vote for her.

I know I'll like her policies. :)

hingis-seles
Oct 8th, 2003, 01:02 AM
YAY!

Ofcourse I'd vote for her.

Leo_DFP
Oct 8th, 2003, 01:04 AM
She's liberal and will be running for the Democrats I believe. What more could you want?

Go Martina! If I was an American, I'd vote for her.

I know I'll like her policies. :)

Lol, completely agree.

arcus
Oct 8th, 2003, 01:15 AM
Just from what is public knowledge about MN, I would vote for her for the following reasons.....

1] she is honest and forthright. Always was and always will be. Gee, now, wouldn't that be a novelty in politics.

2] She is generally well informed and has always had strong convictions. Animal rights, Womens rights, WTA, gay rights, environmental issues. She has always had a considered view wrt these and other issues, even when she was not looking at politics as a career. I dont agree with everything that she thinks.. (Im not convinced that PETA are always a good organization frinstance) but im impressed that she has used her notariety to comment about non-tennis issues that she cares about.

3] She is successful and wealthy enough not to be motivated solely by greed while in office.

4] She has shown dogged determination and committment in her tennis, and I see no reason for her not to apply this to other area of her professional life.

5] She has seen both sides of the fence. poor in czechoslovakia, rich in the USA, hated early and liked later. That kind of experience gives you perspective. A minority view is a good view, IMO.

just MHO.........................

ToeTag
Oct 8th, 2003, 01:21 AM
The lesbian or Hingis?
:rolleyes: I thought Hingis was a lesbian...oh,well you learn something new everyday.Back to the question:shes' a liberal and depending on who the other liberals were if I were a yank I'd vote for her.Absolutely.

LeonHart
Oct 8th, 2003, 01:44 AM
I'd vote for her either way!!! I don't care about her policies, I want Martina for California governor! :bounce:

Martian Willow
Oct 8th, 2003, 02:33 AM
...I wish Hingis was a lesbian... :sad:

:)

kyk710
Oct 8th, 2003, 02:42 AM
I'd vote for Martina in a heartbeat! RUN FOR PRES MARTINA!!!!!!!!!! PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE

tennnisfannn
Oct 8th, 2003, 04:55 AM
Just from what is public knowledge about MN, I would vote for her for the following reasons.....

1] she is honest and forthright. Always was and always will be. Gee, now, wouldn't that be a novelty in politics.

2] She is generally well informed and has always had strong convictions. Animal rights, Womens rights, WTA, gay rights, environmental issues. She has always had a considered view wrt these and other issues, even when she was not looking at politics as a career. I dont agree with everything that she thinks.. (Im not convinced that PETA are always a good organization frinstance) but im impressed that she has used her notariety to comment about non-tennis issues that she cares about.

3] She is successful and wealthy enough not to be motivated solely by greed while in office.

4] She has shown dogged determination and committment in her tennis, and I see no reason for her not to apply this to other area of her professional life.

5] She has seen both sides of the fence. poor in czechoslovakia, rich in the USA, hated early and liked later. That kind of experience gives you perspective. A minority view is a good view, IMO.

just MHO.........................
You have me convinced ;) Now if only I was american ...

vogus
Oct 8th, 2003, 05:14 AM
I find Navratilova's commentary on TV to be generally rather lame and timid - i think she's kind of a poser. I'd never vote for her, unless she was running against Schwarznegger.

BasicTennis
Oct 8th, 2003, 05:15 AM
yeah...vote for her, so she could officialy retire from WTA.:haha:

Sam L
Oct 8th, 2003, 05:18 AM
yeah...vote for her, so she could officialy retire from WTA.:haha:
She said she will after next year. After creating some more history I'm sure. And then she'll make history by entering politics too. :angel:

BasicTennis
Oct 8th, 2003, 06:27 AM
She said she will after next year. After creating some more history I'm sure. And then she'll make history by entering politics too. :angel:
didn't she retire a lont time ago??? :tape:

Navratilova
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:13 PM
I'd vote for Martina in a heartbeat! RUN FOR PRES MARTINA!!!!!!!!!! PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE

You have to be born in the U S of A to do that...

tennisjam
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:15 PM
why not...

irma
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:21 PM
because politics is a job and a very important one. it's scary when people without experience just can get such a job because they are famous and that's very attractive to people so many don't vote because she is has great ideas, but because she is Navratilova the tennisplayer :o

this has nothing to do with nav personally, she might do great(even when I doubt it since she is so sensitive) and her ideas and motives might be good
but it's just the way I feel and the LPF fiasco here last year proved my feelings even more;)

tennisjam
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Hi irma :wavey:

I say "Graf for a governor !" as she is totally insensitive :bounce:
( sorry, I couldn't resist and I don't think it either ;) )

irma
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:28 PM
hi tennisjam :wavey:

I would not vote for steffi either;)

tennisjam
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:33 PM
I simply can't believe that :o

you would even be one of those active supporters working for free I think... ;)

Ballbuster
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:33 PM
No!

She's boring, her politics may be good but she irks me.

Experimentee
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:39 PM
I'd have to see her policies but i probbaly wouldnt vote for her. Sportspeople and politics are usually not a good combination. And she hasnt had a formal education like most politicians are expected to have.

tennisjam
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:42 PM
:lol: it's about Navratilova

seems like you can't stop attacking Hingis, Experimentee ;)

tennisjam
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:43 PM
you just delated your post or what :confused:

irma
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:50 PM
if Nav or Steffi became leader of groen links then I could vote for them but that would mean they have experience since you don't just become that even when they want to change that now with the mayor elections in 2006 :rolleyes: (yeah I am against it same reason as I said above)

alfajeffster
Oct 9th, 2003, 05:50 PM
The thing that bothers me about her announcement is that she stated she was considering "getting into politics". She didn't announce that she wanted to be Governor of the State of Colorado (wouldn't that get the NRA active in Hitler's state?!?), or run for a seat in Congress or the Senate, she just kind of matter-of-jokingly announced "I've got the muscles" in response to the recent prominence of Arnold Schwarzenegger in California.

It's kind of like Michael Jordan saying "I think I want to get into baseball", and then using his fame to cover up a less than stellar baseball talent and getting on a team somewhere. It's bass ackwards publicity, in my humble opinion.

And I agree, Irma, she's too sensitive for politics. She thinks she had it bad as a tennis player with the press and people, wait until she enters the political arena and the slander and garbage machines turn their focus on her!

selesfan
Oct 9th, 2003, 06:18 PM
No.

TennisLurker
Oct 9th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Why is she considered to too very sensitive?

*JR*
Oct 9th, 2003, 10:41 PM
If Martina ever runs for office, I'm sure she'll talk about the issues in detail, and not avoid most of the debates. (Unlike another celebrity).

Martian Willow
Oct 9th, 2003, 10:58 PM
because politics is a job and a very important one. it's scary when people without experience just can get such a job because they are famous and that's very attractive to people so many don't vote because she is has great ideas, but because she is Navratilova the tennisplayer :o

this has nothing to do with nav personally, she might do great(even when I doubt it since she is so sensitive) and her ideas and motives might be good
but it's just the way I feel and the LPF fiasco here last year proved my feelings even more;)

...hi irma... :wavey:

...while I can't say I'm too familiar with the LPF fiasco...I think it's fair to say...in my experience...and many other peoples...politicians don't always make the best politicians... :)

Kart
Oct 9th, 2003, 11:01 PM

:worship:

If Martina goes down that route to politics, good luck to her.

I only hope she doesn't ever get to a stage where she has to chose between her integrity and winning a few votes.

arcus
Oct 9th, 2003, 11:02 PM

I would agree with you in principal, but then I remember all the duplicitous self-serving corrupt incompetant liars that pass for politicians who are plenty "experienced" and Ivy League "educated". Sure some are great people but many are not.

Fame is not a good reason to get elected. I agree with you completely. But navratilova is not a movie star. It took along time for her to become even any way popular in the states. She is not Arnold S. and she would not win an election just because of mass-appeal. Maybe anna kourn1kova would :) .

In fact, Im sure that the only way martina would achieve political office is by appealing to a section of the electorate because of her liberal stance, conviction and honesty. People might notice her because of her notoriety, but her fame wouldnt get her elected on its own, IMO.

I think she would be a good liberal influence in the political arena.

alfajeffster
Oct 9th, 2003, 11:25 PM
Before I could ever take Martina seriously, I'd have to hear alot more from her regarding platform and political agenda. She has evolved dramatically as a public persona over the years, and I think it would be interesting to see what her proposals would be. Right now, all we're hearing are sound bites. She may not even be serious.

irma
Oct 10th, 2003, 05:39 AM
...hi irma... :wavey:

...while I can't say I'm too familiar with the LPF fiasco...I think it's fair to say...in my experience...and many other peoples...politicians don't always make the best politicians... :)

hi

of course that's true too, our goverment made a mess out of this country and many had a lot of experience when they did :o
now we have to pay the bill :mad:

Zamboni
Oct 10th, 2003, 09:05 AM

My thoughts :)

It's scary you can become a minister just because you take your dog for a walk at a certain time :rolleyes:

If I would live in the USA I would vote for Martina if she's proven before that she's good. So, if she starts small, she might have a chance.

Experimentee
Oct 10th, 2003, 02:49 PM
you just delated your post or what :confused:

Yeah i thought it was about Hingis, then i realised it was Nav about 5 seconds after i posted, so i went back and edited. Didnt know anyone had seen it. People should really use surnames when talking about those two. :o

*JR*
Oct 10th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Yeah i thought it was about Hingis, then i realised it was Nav about 5 seconds after i posted, so i went back and edited. Didnt know anyone had seen it. People should really use surnames when talking about those two. :o
Martina I and Martina II work just fine, thank you. :D