PDA

View Full Version : Pierce in the next few months...

Andrew.
Oct 7th, 2003, 11:23 PM
How does everyone think she'll do? Will she continue her rise or drop again? Will she do enough to be seeded at AO?

LeonHart
Oct 7th, 2003, 11:38 PM
She'll keep on moving up. Hopefully she won't get any more injuries :mad:

switz
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:09 AM
if she stays injury free she'll be back in the top 20 in no time. people seem to think mary dropped just because she was playig badly, when in reality it was always because she had some sort of injury.

Mary Pierce
Oct 8th, 2003, 07:41 AM
I hope she can get into the top 30 by the years end in time for the Aus Open - depends on her next few tourney's I guess.

sylvain
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Mary is a very surprising girl. It is very hard to say what she will do in 2004!

PierceCheng
Oct 8th, 2003, 10:38 AM
I hope Mary Pierce in this year:

She can comeback top 10. :bounce: :wavey:

She can take out at least 1 single title. :bounce: :wavey:

Never injury again!! :sad: :bigcry: :tears: :hysteric: :sobbing: :crying2:

Gowza
Oct 8th, 2003, 10:38 AM
i'm not realy sure. she has been inconsistent the last couple of years. last year when she came back she made the quarters of RG and then did nothing. she's had some decent results this year but she has been inconsistent and she hasn't really made any big scalps. even if she gets consistent i don't think she will be a very top player. she may get back in the top 15 at some stage but at this point to me it doesn't look like she will get back to the top. i think she could have some outstanding tournaments like schnyder and stevenson have occasionally but she won't be consistent enough to be a top player.

so i think she will continue her rise but it could be quite slow, on the other hand if she has a great tournament soon her rise could be quite quick but i still don't think she would get back to the very top.

Munchen
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Moving up!

switz
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:24 PM
i'm not realy sure. she has been inconsistent the last couple of years. last year when she came back she made the quarters of RG and then did nothing. she's had some decent results this year but she has been inconsistent and she hasn't really made any big scalps. even if she gets consistent i don't think she will be a very top player. she may get back in the top 15 at some stage but at this point to me it doesn't look like she will get back to the top. i think she could have some outstanding tournaments like schnyder and stevenson have occasionally but she won't be consistent enough to be a top player.

so i think she will continue her rise but it could be quite slow, on the other hand if she has a great tournament soon her rise could be quite quick but i still don't think she would get back to the very top.

it is hard to say, but i don't think mary is like patty or stevenson. her game has been gradually getting better this year, and her fitness is improving tournament by tournament. i think she still has the game to be a top 10 player, and i'm going to put my rep on the line here and say that she will be in the top 10 at some time next year assuming she stays injury free (i know that's a big presumption)

mauresmofan
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:48 PM

I don't think comparing Maam to Stevenson or Patty is the best comparrison. Maam has a great serve - one of the best on tour she has a wicked forehand and now that the weight is coming off she can move. The only big factor left are the injuries - if she can stay injury free she's consistant enough to get into the top 30 anytime soon and once she gets settled there she can make a burst for the top.

jlamire
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:56 PM
it is hard to say, but i don't think mary is like patty or stevenson. her game has been gradually getting better this year, and her fitness is improving tournament by tournament. i think she still has the game to be a top 10 player, and i'm going to put my rep on the line here and say that she will be in the top 10 at some time next year assuming she stays injury free (i know that's a big presumption)

totally agree. Comparing Mary to stevenson is not correct. And many people refuse to see how hard Mary has been working her fitness those last months. Hopefully I guess she does not care of all those posts.

Andrew.
Oct 8th, 2003, 10:46 PM
I just looked this up: At Wimbledon, she was ranked 88. Now she's 48. What a jump!

Kart
Oct 8th, 2003, 10:51 PM
I think that Mary is moving the right way but it will be a slow process because she needs to get fitter and play a few more matches against the top players so she can see what kind of level she needs to be at.

As long as she sticks with it I can see her getting back to the top twenty and who knows, maybe even further.

I think that because of what she has achieved people expect her to pick up where she left off quickly whereas Mary has always been one of those who builds up gradually to great results.

franny
Oct 9th, 2003, 05:54 AM
I really believe that Mary will continue going up. I think that we will see her continue to get to second rounds and quarterfinals. If she doesn't go up against a high ranked player in the early rounds, then she can definitly get to quarterfinals of events. I have pretty small goals and hopes for Mary the remainder of this year. Hopefully, she will reach her first semifinal in a long while by year's end and possibly go up to top 40 or possibly top 30. Then 2004 I really believe that Mary can win her first tournament in years and maybe reach some semis and possibly another quarterfinal showing at a grand slam. This all depends on her injuries, but if she can stay healthy, she is capable of big wins.

bello
Oct 9th, 2003, 06:16 AM
i think she'll keep moving up, and depending on her draws for the rest of season can pull some good results, hopefully AFTER this tournament...(GO JENN!)

Gowza
Oct 9th, 2003, 08:59 AM
I don't think comparing Maam to Stevenson or Patty is the best comparrison. Maam has a great serve - one of the best on tour she has a wicked forehand and now that the weight is coming off she can move. The only big factor left are the injuries - if she can stay injury free she's consistant enough to get into the top 30 anytime soon and once she gets settled there she can make a burst for the top.

i wasn't really comparing them i was using those 2 players as an example. they are 2 players that usually have a couple of great performances but have average results the rest of the year. and unfortunately i think mary will have a couple of great performances and the rest will be average (just my opinion).

switz, i also think mary has the game to be a top 10 player but consistency and the mental game also plays a part and i think they will be what stops mary. she has a great serve and great groundies and i saw at wimbledon that she could volley and do touch shots and i also saw that her fitness was way better at the us open than at the australian open.

Knizzle
Oct 9th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Whatever happens I hope she gets to her top form. The top ten is lacking in GS champions and I think it will be better if all the active GS champions that have the talent to be at the top are at the top.

mauresmofan
Oct 9th, 2003, 12:42 PM
i wasn't really comparing them i was using those 2 players as an example. they are 2 players that usually have a couple of great performances but have average results the rest of the year. and unfortunately i think mary will have a couple of great performances and the rest will be average (just my opinion).

switz, i also think mary has the game to be a top 10 player but consistency and the mental game also plays a part and i think they will be what stops mary. she has a great serve and great groundies and i saw at wimbledon that she could volley and do touch shots and i also saw that her fitness was way better at the us open than at the australian open.

You bring up valid points but You can't forget that Maam is a 2 time grand slam champion and the way she conducted herself at both Wimbeldon and the US Open shows she can certainly make it back to the top ten. Not being seeded and making it to the last 16 of 2 Grand Slams in a row is impressive. I only believe injuries can prevent her from making it back to the top 10. I also think todays match against Jenn could be her biggest match of the year and I hope she does well.

Experimentee
Oct 9th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Well she just whipped Jen 6-4 6-2! I think shes really getting her form back, and if she keeps it up she can be top 10 by end of 2004! :bounce:

switz
Oct 9th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Well she just whipped Jen 6-4 6-2! I think shes really getting her form back, and if she keeps it up she can be top 10 by end of 2004! :bounce:

if she plays like this she'll probably be there early than the end of the year because she has essentially nothing to defend until wimbledon.

Andrew.
Oct 9th, 2003, 05:56 PM
I'm so happy! If she makes it to the semis what will her ranking be? She must be getting tons of bonus points for beating Capriati.

PierceCheng
Oct 10th, 2003, 06:42 AM
Mary Pierce, keep your good strength to defeat Bulgarian Maggie (short for of Magdelena) Maleev a in quarter finals!! :bounce: :hearts: :inlove: :kiss: :yeah: :woohoo: :clap2: :bigclap: :wavey:

franny
Oct 10th, 2003, 07:01 AM
Well, lets see. If Mary loses tomorrow she's insured a spot in the top 40 I believe. If she wins tomorrow she may be nearing the top 30's, which is extroardinary considering where she was before Wimbledon. Hopefully, she'll reach her first semifinal in a looooooong time here at this tournament, then possibly win some tournys next year. I also think that she has a great chance to reach the quarters at the australian open and if she continues to be fit she may have one last great run at the french, like maybe a semi final showing, which would take her into like the top 16.