PDA

View Full Version : Will Pierce Score Her First Win Over Capriati?

magassi
Oct 7th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Although Jenn has won everytime these two have played (I think the last time it was 6-0, 6-0 in 2002); Pierce is improving her form (and has played one match already on the surface); while Jenn comes into Porsche mentally unable to close out matches and not particularly liking indoors. I hate to say this, but I fear that Jenn maybe quality points up for grabs. I'll still cheer for the JENNERATOR!

CapFan#1
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Doubt it, Cappy owns Mary

The Guilty
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Yes. Vamos.

Keith
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:32 PM
It sure has the makings of an upset, but if a positive thinking Jen shows up, it shouldn't be too difficult. Who knows, it really is a toss up!

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:39 PM
I agree.. Definitely a toss up.. I love Jen but Mary had a great showing at the US Open.. In two sets i'd say Jen.. but if it gets to three.. we all know Jens history there.. the stats don't lie..

KV
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Gotta stick with Jenny, though wouldn't mind M. Pierce defeating Jenny.

Kart
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:43 PM
I hope that Mary would be able to beat JenCap in this match but judging from watching their match last time I'm not hopeful.

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Gotta stick with Jenny, though wouldn't mind M. Pierce defeating Jenny.
Very True fellow Belgian ;)

GANGSTABACKHAND!
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Mary is due for a few good wins. lol! Sad that she's been injured so much, i think this has dropped her at least 5 levels below her full potential. I still don't think she has enough to beat Jen, but I say this with hopes that Mary can pull through this one. Good luck Mary!!

treufreund
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:49 PM
and just how is Mary supposed to keep up with Jenn's footspeed???

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Mary played awesome against Dokic at US Open.. i wanted her to go further!! but Myskina and those rain delays got to her.. It would be great to see mary come back.. She is one of those players who needs to benefit from the WS being out.. She has had such a hard time..

jlamire
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:56 PM
...She is working hard to be back since a few months now. She does not play to much.
Did you notice that she makes impressive progress each time she shows up?
In fact Mary could be a better player than in US Open whereas I don't know if Jennifer is ok...Very interesting match actually.

Mase
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:05 PM

Exactly.. I love Mary but Jen's got this one.

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:09 PM
I still think it could get interesting.. i give the edge to Jen.. but mary is a fighter.. all she has to do is get to 3 sets..

Declan
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Doubt it, Cappy owns Mary

Yes but to be fair, they never played each other for nine years, including the six years that Mary was in the Top Ten and at her physical peak - I'm sure the head-to-head wouldn't be so lop-sided if they had.

G-Ha
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:22 PM

Mary can't keep up with anyone's footspeed...but she doesn't need to. When she's in fine form and firing on all cylinders, she simply overpowers players....when Mary is on, her footspeed or lack thereof, doesn't really come into play.

Mary has comprehensively destroyed the likes of Steffi, Monica and Serena on court...if she can do that to them, there's no reason she shouldn't be able to do that to Jennifer. I think the reason she hasn't, is that Mary has a mental block when it comes to Jen, stemming all the way back to their, or more precisely Mary's, issues with the USTA.

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Mary can't keep up with anyone's footspeed...but she doesn't need to. When she's in fine form and firing on all cylinders, she simply overpowers players....when Mary is on, her footspeed or lack thereof, doesn't really come into play.

Mary has comprehensively destroyed the likes of Steffi, Monica and Serena on court...if she can do that to them, there's no reason she shouldn't be able to do that to Jennifer. I think the reason she hasn't, is that Mary has a mental block when it comes to Jen, stemming all the way back to their, or more precisely Mary's, issues with the USTA.
Mary is definitely wicked from the baseline.. she's like a davenport.. she doesn't need to be that quick.. she has great groundstrokes

GANGSTABACKHAND!
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Exactly Justinefan!! I was thinking the same thing! I remember how Lindsay used to stand in the middle of the baseline and have her apponent running from side to side! Mary can get back to how she used to be, I like her strategy, I think she is trying to playing fewer tournaments and working on her fitness inbetween. Good for her! I would love to see her back in the top 5, she didn't do well against the top players, but she always gave them hell!!lol!! At her best Mary is truly gansta!!

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:35 PM
hahaha Mary is definitely a gansta. She can run people around as well... I heard that she is working really hard on her fitness.. I hope she comes back and gives people hell!

TM
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:46 PM
gansta gansta....

http://www.wtnphotos.com/data/3082/3533smilemary_2003aug12.jpg

you got that right bitchez! :D

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:49 PM
haha do it Mary

DEETHELICK
Oct 7th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Its a great matchup, Filderstadt has really provided quality matches this week so far! And tomorrow looks great too!

back to the point, the court is playing very fast and Pierce is gona have to do some moving around if she wnats to win, and in that dept, Jen is simply better. I think Jen was preparing for Filderstadt and that it was part of her original schedule. I think she'll get by Mary in two sets.

But hope its a great match, because Mary's groundies on this court would be :eek:

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 06:20 PM
It's considered such a big tournamen with top players!! Let's get this damn tourney on tv!!!

Andrew.
Oct 7th, 2003, 06:26 PM
If today's match against Black is any indication, Mary is going to be HOT against Jen.

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 06:27 PM
I wish it was televised:(

aimee20
Oct 7th, 2003, 06:31 PM
last time they've met is when mary's at her worst.
so the score is also worst for her. :(

but she's really want to be back and looking she's heading in the right direction so i'm not surprise for an upset :lick:

but then i still doubt is there such thing like mental problem with jenny.
:confused:

magassi
Oct 7th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Interesting note: Jenn has won all three meetings in straight sets and all were on clay. This is the first time they meet on a hardcourt.

alfajeffster
Oct 7th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Actually, Mary Pierce and Jennifer Capriati go way back to the juniors and the Orange Bowl when they were both girls- they've played each other many times on hard courts, and I know Capriati usually won, but I'm not sure of the junior head-to-head.

They were actually somewhat famous in the juniors, because Stefano Capriati and Jim Pierce couldn't stand each other, and there were incidents where they exchanged words and nearly fists on several occasions.

What it comes down to is Jen is much quicker around the court, and though Mary can clock the ball just a tad bit harder than Jen, she can't match her in the movement, and Jen always gets her out of her hitting zone first. It's big babe bashing at it's worst.

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Who did jim Pierce get along with....:/

alfajeffster
Oct 7th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Who did jim Pierce get along with....:/

Well, there's a long list of bookies and thugs he got along just fine with! :lol:

tennnisfannn
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:54 PM
The match I believe pretty much rests on Jen's racquet. If she closes down after the USO like she did last year (even losing 6/1 6/1 to Alex) then this is goodnight.
Tennis match ups can be so interesting. Mary's movement is a like lindsay's and both have such commanding groundies, yet jen struggles against Lindsay and is comfortable against mary. Look for jen to advance.

Trish101
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:11 PM
True, Jen struggles to DEFEAT Lindsay, well because Linds is a good player...just because she cant run 100 km/hour doesnt mean she cant get Jens groundstrokes! As for Lindsay, she may not run fast but dont let that fool you into thiking shes out of shape! Mary on the other hand is fat AND slow....bad combos if your going to face one of the top 3 fastest women on tour...! and the hardest hitting too!

j_dementieva27
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:13 PM
i would say that jen has the option to win this... it is all in her hands... and on her racquet [lets just hope that it isnt on her racquet on a match point while she serves up 5-3].. mary could win IMO

Trish101
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:35 PM
it wont get to 5-3...Jen will win 6-0 6-1...shell give Mary a game for free of charge.

Trish101
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:35 PM
and dot tell me Jen wont, because we all know Jen beat Mary 6-0 6-0

CapFan#1
Oct 7th, 2003, 10:09 PM
The match I believe pretty much rests on Jen's racquet. If she closes down after the USO like she did last year (even losing 6/1 6/1 to Alex) then this is goodnight.
Tennis match ups can be so interesting. Mary's movement is a like lindsay's and both have such commanding groundies, yet jen struggles against Lindsay and is comfortable against mary. Look for jen to advance.

This is the most sane post in this thread!!! :bounce: I do not think Jen is having a let down like last year after the USO, and she will likely be a little more ready for this PLANNED tourney, unlike last weeks Krepmlin Kup, where she was not planned to play until last minute, and looked rusty after a month's layoff due to shoulder injury, and against an opponent (Bovina) who puts up a tough fight and can pull an upset here and there. I'm looking forward to Jen moving to the QF, and probably the SF....... :wavey:

jenny161185
Oct 7th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Interestiong match up - jenny will win - like to see mary put up a good fight though

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Haven't they not played each other in a long time?? I'm not saying Jen can't win.. but expect for mary to put up a little more of a fight than o and o.. she's no player to look down on..

Andrew.
Oct 7th, 2003, 10:21 PM
I hope maam pulls off the upset! :kiss:

j_dementieva27
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:05 AM

i kind of almost think of that as ignorance.. this is the same person that said that bovina would be wiped off the court last week, when bovina had won ... even if capriati wins, it wont be 6-0, 6-0... and if it is, that will be a HUGE shock...

just because your favorite player is playing does not mean that they will automactially win... for example.. im coping with the fact that elena dementieva might lose to petrova 2morro.... but im not going "ELENA 6-0 6-0"

FanDeJen
Oct 8th, 2003, 02:06 AM
Jenn will win, coz sheŽll have an extra "motivation" ... thanks to us "true Jen fans" and thank to bluna!!!!

Go Jen!!!!

Trish101
Oct 8th, 2003, 02:17 AM
ok ok, 6-0 6-0 is a BIT too much to ask of Jen, well whats the odds of Jen doing that to Mary twice in a row? no no Jen wont win 6-0 6-0...no shell win 6-0 6-2

ico4498
Oct 8th, 2003, 03:10 AM
im coping with the fact that elena dementieva might lose to petrova 2morro.... but im not going "ELENA 6-0 6-0"

why not? if she's your fave ... why not hope for the best?

Knizzle
Oct 8th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Pierce definitely has a good chance to beat Cappy.

SerenaSlam
Oct 8th, 2003, 03:22 AM
toss up my ass, the only tossing will be jenny of Mary. Mary just physically doesn't have what it cost in my opinion. let me put it like this. mary and her fitness, if jenny looses to her, jenny we have a problem.

Trish101
Oct 8th, 2003, 03:40 AM
too true SerenaSlam...if Jen loses to Mary we DIFFENETLY have a problem....then again Jen lost to Anna once too.....ughhhh *shivers in discust* that has to be the lowpoint of Jennifers career losing to the biggest peice of trash on the tour...Anna!

Knizzle
Oct 8th, 2003, 03:42 AM
too true SerenaSlam...if Jen loses to Mary we DIFFENETLY have a problem....then again Jen lost to Anna once too.....ughhhh *shivers in discust* that has to be the lowpoint of Jennifers career losing to the biggest peice of trash on the tour...Anna!

Anna also beat Graf. What about Jen's loss to Kuti Kis??

bello
Oct 8th, 2003, 03:43 AM
Jen to win this, but i hope she has to fight for it, (AND STILL WINS OF COURSE) cos she needs something like that under her belt..for her confidence and mental strengh!

FanDeJen
Oct 8th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Trish... you didnŽt add me to your list :(

bello
Oct 8th, 2003, 03:46 AM
Yeah considering Anna was a top player back then , its not all that bad, its worse that she lost to Kuti Kiss, and Weingartner aswell and some other losses when she was struggling between 96-00

franny
Oct 8th, 2003, 04:00 AM
How offensive it is those of you who are saying that if Jennifer loses to Mary then she has a problem. Jennifer all year long has been losing to players who are less of a quality player than Mary, plus Jennifer has never done well indoor, plus Jennifer has lost two in a row, plus Jennifer does not have confidence right now, plus Mary is someone who can overpower anyone on any given day, plus the fact that tennis is totally unpredictable and you get Mary Pierce having a great chance at beating Jennifer. I find those of you who are saying that Jennifer losing to Mary would mean she is having a real problem to be offensive to Mary because you guys are all saying she is a player with no potential to beat Jennifer. If players like Tatiana Panova and Marlene Weingartner can beat Jennifer and players like Marion Bartoli and Marie-Gaianeh Mikaelian can push Jennifer to three tough sets, then no doubt Mary has the potential and the ability to beat Jennifer on any given day. If Mary beats Jennifer on thursday, it would not prove that Jennifer is having real difficulties, but rather that Mary is simply on her way back to getting to the peak that saw her win roland garros and beat the likes of Serena, Graf, and Seles easily relinguishing only 1-2 games a set to those player.

switz
Oct 8th, 2003, 04:01 AM
it wont get to 5-3...Jen will win 6-0 6-1...shell give Mary a game for free of charge.

careful trish, you said exactly the same thing last week about her match with bovina.

switz
Oct 8th, 2003, 04:15 AM
i don't think either of these girls are fat, but for all those capriati fans accusing mary here's some visual evidence. obviously jennifer is the fitter and faster player, but it's not fair to keep calling mary fat when she's put a lot of effort into losing weight and has been successful.

it should be a good match i think. if jennifer's at her peak she should win, but she still has to show that she can recover from the US Open loss (i think she can)

BasicTennis
Oct 8th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Mary has a great chance to post her first win against Jenny. She's hitting the ball very well and her service game and return of serve were impressive yesterday.;) Should she continue playing like that then it would be another early exit for Jenny.:sad:

Trish101
Oct 8th, 2003, 05:19 AM
plus Mary plus this plus that PLUS NOTHING!

Jennifer...6-0 6-1....BUT Mary C O U L D beat Jen, true, but i dont think so, not tommorrow! (she wasnt planning on playing Moscow...and Porshe is a HARD COURT...jens best surface, obviously you all suppoised 'marks" are nothing but idiots!)

BasicTennis
Oct 8th, 2003, 06:26 AM
for sure Jenn didn't have a good sleep last night after watching Mary dismantle her opponent.;)

Declan
Oct 8th, 2003, 06:49 AM

Losing to Anna "the lowpoint of Jennifer's career'??? Try losses to Jolene Watanabe and Seda Noorlander at Slams!!

banana
Oct 8th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Sure Mary thrashed Cara, but jennifer is a completely different class of player!In saying this It's true noone knows how Jen will play, so it's a toss up but if jenny brings her game expect her 2 win

m_pierce fan
Oct 8th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Jenny and Maam are my favs # 1 and 2..Mary of course is number 1 but I think ( I am being realistic) that Jenny is favourite to win this match but Maam has played great lately (The match against Black was Maam's 1st match after US OPEN, and Jenny's 1st match after US OPEN was in Moscow where she lost to Bovina) so this says that Mary is doing great job....I assume that Maam's chances will be good if she wins the 1st set...She has to play her best to win Jenny, but on the other hand Jenny has to play well to beat Mary....

Interesting match-up but I'd say like this:
Jenny wins in 2 sets something like 6/4 6/3 OR
Maam wins in 3 sets something like 7/5 4/6 6/4!!

I hope Maam wins this but if Jenny wins ----> that's ok...I am proud of them both... :p

Rub
Oct 8th, 2003, 08:27 AM
nice mary pic!

http://193.155.96.61/porsche-tennis/en/picture.asp?xMax=770&yMax=600&url=/cms/upload/6496%2D361Doppel2%2Ejpg

PierceCheng
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:44 AM
I'm afraid she will be defeat by Jennifer Capriati again!! :sad: :bigcry: :tears: :hysteric: :sobbing: :crying2: Because:

1992 French Open 4-6 3-6
1993 French Open 4-6 6-7
2000 Hong Kong Millenium Cup (I don't know her score)
2002 Italian Open 0-6,0-6 :( :mad: :fiery: :banghead: :shout:

Therefore, I'm not sure she can defeat Jennifer Capriati!!

What do you think? :confused:

Kuti Kis&Monica
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:48 AM
To lose against Rita Kuti Kis is not a shame :fiery: :(

switz
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:00 AM
I'm afraid she will be defeat by Jennifer Capriati again!! :sad: :bigcry: :tears: :hysteric: :sobbing: :crying2: Because:

1992 French Open 4-6 3-6
1993 French Open 4-6 6-7

it will defintely be tough for mary, but i don't buy into past performances as much as other do. matches from ten years ago don't mean a hell of a lot, the other's an exhibition and the last debacle was when mary was in extremely unpredictable form after coming back from injury about ten times. obviously the H2H indicates that mary doesn't play well against jennifer, but i don't think it's conclusive enough to tell us that capriati is a shoe-in

BasicTennis
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:02 AM
there's always the first time and this is Mary's best chance to do it.;)

sbmh
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:05 AM

1992 French Open 4-6 3-6
1993 French Open 4-6 6-7

I remember that Hong Kong's score is 6-4 , 6-4

I like both of them , so who wins don't bother me !

But I also think Jen will win !

mauresmofan
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Good Luck Maam - can't wait for this match!

Jen'sFan
Oct 8th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Jennifer shouldnt be losing to players like this - you know players who are out of shape. It should be easy...

Piotrek
Oct 8th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Good luck Mary !!!!

I think that you will crush Jenny :devil:

Beat
Oct 9th, 2003, 01:29 PM

ding dong... :o

switz
Oct 9th, 2003, 01:34 PM
toss up my ass, the only tossing will be jenny of Mary.

that's the best one to re-hash. behold the all knowledgable serena slam

let's be kind though and not pay them out too much, they were just being enthusiastic fans (very enthusiastic)

sartrista7
Oct 9th, 2003, 01:34 PM
too true SerenaSlam...if Jen loses to Mary we DIFFENETLY have a problem....

Hey Trish - guess what? You "DIFFENETLY" have a problem... :devil:

servenrichie
Oct 9th, 2003, 01:39 PM

So it is now official that Jennifer has a problem? ;)

BTW, Trish101, do you have to be so disgusting? Are you that jealous of Anna?

oddkayla
Oct 9th, 2003, 02:19 PM
You have a problem!

DunkMachine
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Pierce cant even score a decent forehad winner. :devil:

I'm bad sorry.

Justinefan
Oct 9th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Looks like Mary rocked Jens world huh? All you people who made stupid comments that had nothing to do with the quality of tennis it would take for one to win.. aren't you feeling stupid now?

RAA
Oct 9th, 2003, 06:20 PM
well, as much as this thread did provide me with some comic relief when reading about the outlandish and confident predictions of a Jen streamrolling.., given the outcome..
I admit I thought that jen was going to win.
but I neva thought it was gonna be 6-0 6-0.

Mary is coming UP in the world and Jen seems to be stagnating..

Great win for mary. great job. i'm impressed with Mary and not so impressed with Jen.
Moscow was a great chance for her to pick up at Tier I.
although this field is tougher, she should have advanced further than HER first match. that is ridiculous.

DEETHELICK
Oct 9th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Jen's not happy at the moment and her heart isn't in her tennis (she said it herself).

Mary is motivated and is playing great tennis, so even though I'm a Jen fan, I'm happy for Mary too!

Jen just needs to rest up for the YEC or maybe take a break until next year! She needs to get that focus back and come back SO strong!

I can never write Jen off, and as disappointing as this is, it wasn't a huge shock either.

Goo Jenny! :) You'll be back as a champion very soon, I know it! :)

Scotso
Oct 9th, 2003, 08:13 PM
You show 'em Mare!

TM
Oct 10th, 2003, 04:21 AM
gansta gansta....

http://www.wtnphotos.com/data/3082/3533smilemary_2003aug12.jpg

you got that right bitchez! :D

AND WHAT ?...

PierceCheng
Oct 10th, 2003, 05:40 AM
Mary Pierce has finally defeated Jennifer Capriati (6-4, 6-2) but in front of a snow the shame...... :sad: :bigcry: :tears: :sobbing: :crying2:

Well done!! Mary Pierce!! :bounce: :hearts: :inlove: :kiss: :yeah: :woohoo: