PDA

View Full Version : Clijsters plays only 11 tournaments and 4 slams next year.

Filip!
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Lei said in an interview that they took the decision to play only 15 tournaments next year... It's interesting to see what the effect on her ranking will be...

pigam
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Lei said in an interview that they took the decision to play only 15 tournaments next year... It's interesting to see what the effect on her ranking will be...
What interview? Did he decide to stop the press-boycot, or was it in an Aussie newspaper or something?
By the way, clevver decision from Kim. Although she said a few weeks ago she probably wouldn't cut down on the amount of tournies, cuz she loves to play A LOT... :confused: Maybe the Clijsters-clan changed their strategy,... good on them, if you ask me... :)

great smash
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:04 PM
If she drops the two tier III's she has played this year, she just has to eliminate 4 more, like Scottsdale, at least one summer hardcourt tournament, one indoor tournament, and one more.

The impact on her points total could be rather limited.

Volcana
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:05 PM
15 tournaments AND 4 GS tours? Or 15 tournaments INCLUDING 4 GS tours.

Playing 19 tournaments should be more than enough to hold a top four ranking. WHERE in the top four is a matter of head-to-head matchups. If he meant 15 total, well, Serena held the #1 ranking with 13 tours, so it's defintiely possible to do it with 15.

Filip!
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:09 PM
What interview? Did he decide to stop the press-boycot, or was it in an Aussie newspaper or something?
By the5{sion from Kim. Although she said a few weeks ago she probably wouldn't cut down on the amount of tournies, cuz she loves to play A LOT... :confused: Maybe the Clijsters-clan changed their strategy,... good on them, if you ask me... :)

Humo, big interview with Lei Clijsters.

He also said: "Justine will take over the #1 spot very soon and she can become #1 for 2 or 3 years. She's very dedicated to her sport and will become stronger than Serena". For once, Lei Clijsters said something good ;)

11 tournaments + 4 slams: total 15

DA FOREHAND
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:15 PM

Playing 19 tournaments should be more than enough to hold a top four ranking. WHERE in the top four is a matter of head-to-head matchups. If he meant 15 total, well, Serena held the #1 ranking with 13 tours, so it's defintiely possible to do it with 15.

You're right if your last name is Williams, or Graf.

The Crow
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:24 PM
You're right if your last name is Williams, or Graf.

That wouldn't happen to be your favs, by coincidence?

Anyway, would be a wise decision (although 15 seems a bit too low compared with the amount she plays this year)

great smash
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:12 PM
http://www.humo.be/DezeWeek/grafix/3292cover_big.jpg

alexusjonesfan
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:15 PM

ouch Kimmie, you should really upgrade that slingshot of yours :o

great smash
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:16 PM
So Lei is still speaking to Humo

Anyway it's presented as 'Lei Clijsters: The final interview'

ChrisGermany
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Kim plays 5 events indoors with Leipzig, Filderstadt, Zurich, Luxemburg and LA this year. Leaving out the tierIII next year would be wise. She wouldn´t stop playing the other 4.

carot
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:23 PM
oh, it's only in humo :) a combination of lei and humo, now why am i not interested in it ;)

rikvanlooy
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Interesting interview :

Kim will probably stop playing within 3 years (contract with Fila until mid 2006).

Kim played so many American tournaments because Fila forces Kim to play x number of American tournaments.

Journalists ask sometime how many times she does it with Hewitt. :D

The dismissal of Carl Maes was his own choice.

Lei gets a lot of crank calls (somebody asked him for more than 20.000 euro).

Kim will play less doubles matches.

The (chronic) shoulder injury (of last year) still hurts. Pain has become a part of her life.

Kim has not yet decided to play the Olympics.

Lei talks about the consequences of the painful periods of Kim (she loses at least 25 % of her possibilities - eg. loss at the US Open).

bandabou
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:31 PM

And there´s the thing...her h2h against the rest of the top 4 is BRUTAL this year! Plus if she is to mantain her high rank, she has to actually start winning a GS and tournaments bigger than tier II and III.

great smash
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:37 PM
And there´s the thing...her h2h against the rest of the top 4 is BRUTAL this year! Plus if she is to mantain her high rank, she has to actually start winning a GS and tournaments bigger than tier II and III.

What's your point about her ranking? She would still be in the top 3 with that no. of tournaments despite the fact that she hasn't won a slam!

bandabou
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:41 PM
What's your point about her ranking? She would still be in the top 3 with that no. of tournaments despite the fact that she hasn't won a slam!

Top three, but I´m willing to think that she wouldn´t be THAT close to no.1

rikvanlooy
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Top three, but I´m willing to think that she wouldn´t be THAT close to no.1

Who cares ? Only the slams matter. :devil:

~|Naomi|~
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:52 PM
He also said: "Justine will take over the #1 spot very soon and she can become #1 for 2 or 3 years. She's very dedicated to her sport and will become stronger than Serena". For once, Lei Clijsters said something good

He already said many positive things about Henin, except the media and the majority of Lei 'derogators' latched on to one word, and ignored the rest of the exact same quote in which he said she was technically superior etc. Had Dewulf not come out with hi scomments no one would have even linked the word 'unusual' to doping. Lei has always been positive and shown good sportsmanship towards Henin.

I don't know how much of the article to believe, it has all been said before. A year or to ago Kim was going to retire about now, now it is in 2006 so who knows.

Kim plays 5 events indoors with Leipzig, Filderstadt, Zurich, Luxemburg and LA this year. Leaving out the tierIII next year would be wise. She wouldn´t stop playing the other 4.

She also plays Antwerp, which she has already comitted to. She has already comitted to Hopman, Sydney, AO and Antwerp.

surfinggirl
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Yeah, but if she's not gonna win those slams, but plays like this year in finals, than she won't be close to number 1.

And playing only 15 tournaments, means that two tournaments she played this year will fall off and every tournaments was succesfull by kim, so that means she will lose many points. Cause that's only those who count, she won't have any reserves, like this year. And I think that you'll see her go down the ranking, not much, but top 5 or so. And if she has a lesser tournament, can be, cause everyone has one, is not so good. I think only Serena and Venus are capable of doing that: playing lesser tournaments and still be ranked in top 3 or 4 (if they don't have injuries)
So I'm sorry but this won't do Kim any good in her ranking, but maybe it will with her shoulder.

And another thing. When Kim took some time off, I think it was after the US Open, she said she was glad to be playing tennis again, cause she missed it and her father learned her not to watch tv. So she likes playing tennis, cause it's her hobby, but what will she do when she has all that spare time?

Don't bash me for this! I'm just thinking this!

rikvanlooy
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:06 PM
He already said many positive things about Henin, except the media and the majority of Lei 'derogators' latched on to one word, and ignored the rest of the exact same quote in which he said she was technically superior etc. Had Dewulf not come out with hi scomments no one would have even linked the word 'unusual' to doping. Lei has always been positive and shown good sportsmanship towards Henin.

I don't know how much of the article to believe, it has all been said before. A year or to ago Kim was going to retire about now, now it is in 2006 so who knows.

She also plays Antwerp, which she has already comitted to. She has already comitted to Hopman, Sydney, AO and Antwerp.

You're correct. I'm not sure she will drop Luxembourg and Rosmalen, because it is so close to home. So I'm not sure she will only play 11 tournaments. In that case she will only play the 10 TI-tournaments and the Masters. That's not very realistic.

JonBcn
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:07 PM

I take it slag doesnt mean the same in Flemish as it does in English? ;)

pigam
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:09 PM
I take it slag doesnt mean the same in Flemish as it does in English? ;)
Slag means "battle" in Dutch, in case you're curious ;)

Calvin
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:12 PM
1) Lei Clijsters is full of crap... I can't imagine people actually believe a single word he says...

2) Humo is full of crap... I can't imagine people take anything they read in Humo seriously...

Save injuries, Kim will play at least 18 or 19 tournaments and will not retire in 2006, no matter what Lei claims
(doesnt he seem to want to sound a lot like Richard *nutcase-genius* Williams, always saying his daughters will retire early?)

great smash
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Never trust Lei Clijsters when he makes quotes about his daughters career is a good rule to follow I think.

However, I'm sure you will find Clijsters playing less events next year...

Anyway don't players have to submit their intended schedule of play for next year by the time the Championships? We'll know soon enough what her plans are.

~|Naomi|~
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:16 PM
I think Kim will drop Toronto, she has never played well there, and from what I am getting from what of the article has been posted is that she is dropping american hardourt events that she was forced to play this year by Fila.

So I think she will drop Scottsdale, and Toronto (or maybe SanDiego/LA and keep Toronto) but definately eliminate one before the US Open. She can't take much out of her clay season as she only played three clay events this year. Don't see her dropping Rosmalen, she needs a grass court warm up for Wimbledon. Can't see her dropping Luxembourg either as it was her first title and she loves to play there. So I can only pick out two that she will probably drop. Think she will play about 18.

bandabou
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:18 PM
1) Lei Clijsters is full of crap... I can't imagine people actually believe a single word he says...

2) Humo is full of crap... I can't imagine people take anything they read in Humo seriously...

Save injuries, Kim will play at least 18 or 19 tournaments and will not retire in 2006, no matter what Lei claims
(doesnt he seem to want to sound a lot like Richard *nutcase-genius* Williams, always saying his daughters will retire early?)

Ha, and the thing is when he says those things no one cares. If Richard just bristles a little-thing....mayhem will break loose!

Knizzle
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Kim Clijsters playing only 15 tournaments next year including GS?? Yeah Right, and Serena's playing 22 events next year. :rolleyes:

bracey
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Well, the best athletes can afford to be selective in what they play but isn't this a little too cautious?
Clijsters must have confidence in her own ability to do this because loss of form and few tournaments in which to pick up points will see her slide.....

ans
Oct 7th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Humo is full of crap... I can't imagine people take anything they read in Humo seriously...

What do you read then? Dag Allemaal? Story? ;)

ys
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Of course, she should play less, no one can afford playing 100+ singles matches in year and be not made pay for that. Burnout is on the cards. But it could be already too late. Clijsters will slump next year.

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:52 PM
maybe she realized that she burned out this year... i wonder if she thinks that played a role in her disappointing slam results?? I can't see Kim only playing 15 though.. She'll have to step it up.. especially if Serena is scheduled for 22?

Martian KC
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Ha, and the thing is when he says those things no one cares. If Richard just bristles a little-thing....mayhem will break loose!

It's amazing, they always seem to find a way to bring in unwanted material.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:53 PM
wtf are you talking about? I can't even remember how many times I've seen somebody call Lei an idiot - talk about selective reading.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:54 PM
It's amazing, they always seem to find a way to bring in unwanted material.
It's his ability to miss the 1290822 negative posts that have been written about a certain Mr Clijsters on here that amazes me.

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:01 PM
He does that..

Astro Jetson
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Have just read the interview in Humo. He now has something nice to say about almost everyone on the whole planet. Must say a good move, but I don't buy it. Boycotting a certain part of the press and now giving a so-called "final" interview. :rolleyes: The interview is just to clean up his image and I'm certain it will work. Whatever...

Elke
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Why do you guys keep judging him without ever having had one single conversation with that man?

BTW, he also said Kim had contact with the Williams family after Yetunde was shot.
Lei also said Kim is more and more building her year around DC, taking those weeks off, to support Lleyton.

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Kim is a great girl! Who cares what she says.. I still love her!

bandabou
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:35 PM
It's his ability to miss the 1290822 negative posts that have been written about a certain Mr Clijsters on here that amazes me.

Yeah, in here..he may have a negative image. But I´m talking about the press.

tfannis
Oct 7th, 2003, 06:13 PM

your point being? :confused:

tfannis
Oct 7th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Yeah, in here..he may have a negative image. But I´m talking about the press.
and huh? :confused:

Lei on Kim becoming Australian, Lei on Justine's increased muscle-mass....unfortunately the press did pick all that up :rolleyes:

Volcana
Oct 7th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Humo, big interview with Lei Clijsters.

He also said: "Justine will take over the #1 spot very soon and she can become #1 for 2 or 3 years. She's very dedicated to her sport and will become stronger than Serena". For once, Lei Clijsters said something good ;)

11 tournaments + 4 slams: total 15

Thanks for correcting the thread title.

Elke
Oct 7th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Think this was one great quote of Lei:
What was the most beautiful moment in those 5 years with Kim?
Hearing her voice through the phone a couple of hours after the attacks of 9/11. We knew Kim and Lleyton would travel to Australia after he had won the US Open. When we saw everything on tv, we couldn't reach her. I'm not panicking soon, but Els was so nervous. That lasted for 7 hours and only then her name appeared on the phonescreen.

Onthe Olympics: She hasn't decided yet. It will all depend on Lleyton, and how they'll deal with the security over there-Australia is planning to go with their own security guards:eek:-, and if she can play in Fila.

On letting Kim go to Australia: If I see she likes what she does, I really don't have any regrets to let her go. You can't break the will of a human being.

-If they keep a benefit for Ford, Kim agreed to cooperate. What are we waiting for??
-Kim sponsors all of the ten footballteams of Limburg for handicapped persons, for their equipments for trainings and matches!

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 06:44 PM
awww.. that is a great quote!

bandabou
Oct 7th, 2003, 06:59 PM
and huh? :confused:

Lei on Kim becoming Australian, Lei on Justine's increased muscle-mass....unfortunately the press did pick all that up :rolleyes:

I meant to say that those quotes didn´t really receive all the publicity that any quote of Richard gets.

Martian KC
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:13 PM
I meant to say that those quotes didn´t really receive all the publicity that any quote of Richard gets.

You mean in your own little world? There is a reason they are not talking to the press anymore. :rolleyes:

Knizzle
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:15 PM
maybe she realized that she burned out this year... i wonder if she thinks that played a role in her disappointing slam results?? I can't see Kim only playing 15 though.. She'll have to step it up.. especially if Serena is scheduled for 22?

You're funny. I like that in you. You're the type of fan I like to discuss with.

Knizzle
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:17 PM
I think it would be very good for Kim to move to Australia and take citizenship there if she wants to. It would kill all the hype and drama that the media in Belgium has created.

tfannis
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:46 AM

Uh and what has Richard got to do with all this? :confused:

Knizzle....and in Australia hype and gossip doesn't exist right? :rolleyes: The papparazzi sleeps in front of Lleyton's home during the Australian Open and Kim and LL sneak out through the window.... :tape: