PDA

View Full Version : Serena to defend Hopman Cup!!!

switz
Oct 7th, 2003, 06:49 AM
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_405933,00070002.htm

Serena to play in Hopman Cup team event

Reuters
Melbourne,*October 7

Serena Williams will begin preparations for her title defence at next year's Australian Open by playing in the Hopman Cup mixed team event in January.

World number three Williams will team up with James Blake to represent top seeds and defending Hopman Cup champions the U.S. in the eight-nation competition.

Former world number one Lleyton Hewitt will partner Alicia Molik for second-seeded Australia. Hewitt's girlfriend, world number one Kim Clijsters, teams up with Xavier Malisse for third seeds Belgium.

Fourth seeds Russia boast world number nine women's player Anastasia Myskina and former world number one Marat Safin.

The other four competing nations in the 16th Hopman Cup to be played in Perth from January 3-10 are France, Slovak Republic, Czech Republic and the winners of a playoff between Canada and Hungary.

Williams, 22, is mourning her sister Yetunde Price, who was shot dead in a Los Angeles suburb last month.

Australian Open chief executive Paul McNamee said last week he was "hopeful" Serena and her sister Venus would play in the grand slam event at Melbourne Park which starts on January 19 "even though they have been through something very traumatic".

McNamee, who is also the Hopman Cup tournament director, said on Tuesday in an International Tennis Federation statement that he was thrilled with the field for the Perth event.

"The top four teams each boast a player who's been ranked number one in the world," he said.

apparently mauresmo is playing for france. i can't tell you how pissed i am that switzerland are not coming. sounds like it will be a good event though.

Mattographer
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Cool! :bounce:

Mattographer
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:03 AM
BTW, Amelie Mauresmo won't play the Hopman Cup because she signed in for the Hong Kong exhibition.

azza
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Aussies :D

~|Naomi|~
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Thanks for that

But once again we have the pro Australian bias in the seedings :mad: I'm an aussie but it's pissing me off :o
They shouldn't be ahead of Belgium (world#1 in singles and 3 in doubles with 2 doubles slams this year), or Russia (world #8 women and Safin who when he turns up to play will beat anyone). SO once again Australia won't be in the USA's group just like last year when the real final was belgium vs USA which went all the way to a third set super tiebreak in the mixed, whereas Australia couldn't even take a set off the USA :o

azza
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:29 AM
That was last yr this is this year :p

monster
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Love to know who is playing for France, Slovak Republic, Czech Republic and the winners of a playoff between Canada and Hungary.

I'd say France- ?? If amelie is in HK- you would think Dechy would defend Gold Coast- maye Bartoli
Slovakia-Hantichova
Czche Rep?????- Bedanova talent and entertainment wise still prob best Czche bbut not ranking wise-maybe Chladkova (although she doesn't play Fed cup)
Hungary- i hope Mandula
Canada_ Maureen? Marie Eve

I can't wait to see whole teams

~|Naomi|~
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:39 AM
That was last yr this is this year :p

Yes I know that- but my point is they were gifted a place in the final alst year by not having to beat either of the two top teams (USA and Belgium) to get there. And conveniently enough once again they won't have the USA in their pool.

Now I'm an aussie so it was great to see them in the final but realistically they weren't one of the top two teams there. And I am saying that this year they don't deserve to be seeded second ahead of russia or belgium, because the aussie team is not as strong as either Belgium or Russia - sure if they are to play them it would probably go to the mixed but I'd favour both Russia and Belgium in a mixed match over Australia.

So happy to see Xavier got picked event though he isn't the otp belgian anymore, but I think he and Kim combine so well :)
SO happy to see Myskina there, and truly hoping Dani is part of the slovak team :D

persond
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Please don't do it, Serena and James...!!! Phuck that penal colony and it's outback azzes...!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

switz
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Please don't do it, Serena and James...!!! Phuck that penal colony and it's outback azzes...!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

yeah they should stay in south central, that's where they belong :rolleyes:

BasicTennis
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:01 AM
:bounce:

Knizzle
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:02 AM

WHAT!!!

Knizzle
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:04 AM

We like Australia!!!! Even though they booed Serena they usually applaud good tennis. I want Serena and James to defend their title. They smacked Kimmie Poo and Belgium and routed Lleyton and the Aussies.

~|Naomi|~
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:04 AM
I found another article it says the rest of the players except for the French guy, it seems Mauresmo is playing here not Hong Kong :confused:

France- Mauresmo and ?
Czechs - Strycova/Novak
Slovaks- Daniela and Kucera

Canada - Drake and Dancevic
Hungary - Mandula/ Savolt

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/031007/2/2tl.html

Hewitt plans hectic summer
Tuesday October 7, 05:20 PM

A resurgent Lleyton Hewitt is set to increase his workload in 2004 after booking a hectic tennis program this summer.

The former US Open and Wimbledon champion will play at the Hopman Cup (January 3-10) and adidas International (January 11-17) before the Australian Open starts on January 19.

Hewitt decided on a lighter playing schedule in 2003 following two gruelling years in which he finished end-of-season world No.1.

The fiery baseliner opted last year to use the mixed teams event in Perth as his only warm-up event for the opening grand slam of the year, in which he was knocked out in the fourth round.

And despite concentrating more on the grand slam events this season, Hewitt failed to win one of the big four titles this year for the first time since 2000.

But the world No.8's epic victory over Swiss star Roger Federer in the Davis Cup semi-final in Melbourne last month has the Hewitt camp confident he can again challenge for the world No.1 crown.

Hopman Cup tournament director Paul McNamee thought the South Australian was set for a much busier schedule next year after a below-par 2003.

"He made a conscious decision in `03 to back off his schedule, and it appears that in `04 he is making a conscious decision to ramp up his schedule," he said.

"I think that is a fairly safe assumption you can take from that, so he certainly means business."

Alicia Molik will partner Hewitt in the No.2 ranked Australian team for the third straight year after losing last summer's final to the United States pairing of Serena Williams and James Blake.

The management of the younger Williams sister has indicated she will play in the event despite the trauma of her sister being murdered in Los Angeles last month.

"You don't know what is going to happen and you don't want a situation like Monica Seles where she was lost to the sport for way too long," McNamee said.

"I think it is reassuring for the sport that Serena is committing to this tournament."

Blake returns for the top ranked pairing while No.3 Belgium will be headed by world No.1 Kim Clijsters and Xavier Malisse.

The mercurial Marat Safin and rising star Anastasia Myskina will play for Russia while Amelie Mauresmo will lead the French charge.

The Slovak Republic (Daniela Hantuchova/Karol Kucera) and Czech Republic (Barboro Strycova/Jiri Novak) return while Canada (Maureen Drake/Frank Dancevic) and Hungary (Petra Mandula/Attila Savolt) play off for the final spot in the draw.

persond
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:06 AM

And, you wonder why people call your "stank ass" racist...!!! Well take a long hike up a short pier...!!!

~|Naomi|~
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:08 AM
And, you wonder why people call your "stank ass" racist...!!! Well take a long hike up a short pier...!!!

And what you said wasn't offensive or racist at all..........

SJW
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Serena and James made such a cute couple (of tennis players ;)) in January :)

hopefully they'll repeat :hearts:

i hope they both play :)

CamilleVidann
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:10 AM
Well Serena may sign up but only to withdraw. That's pre much always the case with Serena. So don't be so up beat or you will be disappointed yet again. You better learn from the past.

persond
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:12 AM
By the way Switz, is your userid short for "SWASTIKA"...???

Knizzle
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Well Serena may sign up but only to withdraw. That's pre much always the case with Serena. So don't be so up beat or you will be disappointed yet again. You better learn from the past.

Serena played this last year to warmup for the Aussie. Anyway it's an exhibition so if Serena pulls out, so what?

RYNJ
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:14 AM
the last 2 years, If you ask me for the most part Serena has commited and played, the only reason shes withdrawing these tournaments now coz shes injured.

CamilleVidann
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Serena played this last year to warmup for the Aussie. Anyway it's an exhibition so if Serena pulls out, so what?

She makes it a rule to withdraw from half the tournaments she has signed up for. It doesn't matter if it's an exhibition or a tour event. She just doesn't give a damn about disappointing her fans.

persond
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:15 AM

And "MEDUSA" rears her ugly head, yet again...!!!

Knizzle
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:16 AM
She makes it a rule to withdraw from half the tournaments she has signed up for. It doesn't matter if it's an exhibition or a tour event. She just doesn't give a damn about disappointing her fans.
Should she kill herself for her fans?? Are they willing to kill themselves for Serena??

CamilleVidann
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:16 AM
the last 2 years, If you ask me for the most part Serena has commited and played, the only reason shes withdrawing these tournaments now coz shes injured.

That's bullshit. Nowadays she's withdrawing from more for ACTING which she's not good at at all. She may have withdrawn from some events for injuires in the past but she's more n more focused on acting these days putting it ahead of tennis. Sad but that's her decion.

switz
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:18 AM

you're a moron!! i was simply reversing the naive comment you made which said that we live in penal colony and showing what it would sound like if someone made an equally offensive generalisation about your people. i started this thread so obviously i wasn't being serious, but i think you have to learn that racism is not something only white people can be accused of

sorry to anyone who thought i was being serious

RYNJ
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:18 AM
That's bullshit. Nowadays she's withdrawing from more for ACTING which she's not good at at all. She may have withdrawn from some events for injuires in the past but she's more n more focused on acting these days putting it ahead of tennis. Sad but that's her decion.

ok... name some tournaments that she withdrew from. Not counting her being injured, maybe like 2 or3? I woudlnt call that A LOT.

Knizzle
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:19 AM

Have you seen Serena act for you to be judging her acting?? If you really do live in China then I know you haven't so you are talking out of your ass right now. Serena pulled out of tournaments because she was injured. I bet you weren't talking shit in 2002 were you?? She was healthy most of the year and playing tournaments and winning everything. You aren't a fan if you don't take the good times with the bad.

Knizzle
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:21 AM
you're a moron!! i was simply reversing the naive comment you made which said that we live in penal colony and showing what it would sound like if someone made an equally offensive generalisation about your people. i started this thread so obviously i wasn't being serious, but i think you have to learn that racism is not something only white people can be accused of

So you're a racist and persond is a nationalist?? Both are bad, but are very different.

RYNJ
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Have you seen Serena act for you to be judging her acting?? If you really do live in China then I know you haven't so you are talking out of your ass right now. Serena pulled out of tournaments because she was injured. I bet you weren't talking shit in 2002 were you?? She was healthy most of the year and playing tournaments and winning everything. You aren't a fan if you don't take the good times with the bad.

for sure!

switz
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:23 AM
and i'm not going to get into an argument about how i'm a racist because i always praise serena and venus, chanda is my favourite player, and you will not find any post on this board made by me where i've intended to discriminate against any race. end of story.

switz
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:25 AM
So you're a racist and persond is a nationalist?? Both are bad, but are very different.

don't be silly knizzle, i was not being serious in any way. perhaps i should have used the wink instead of the rolleyes, but i assure you that my words do not express my feelings about the african americans in anyway

persond
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:27 AM

Oh phuck off...I really don't give a damn what I'm called, since it wouldn't be anything I haven't been called before...!!! I never claimed to not harbor "racist ideologies"...grew up with them...!!!

CamilleVidann
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Who knows for sure if she was really injured to withdraw from the tournaments. Wish a minor injury which isn't serious enough to force someone outa a tournament, that excuse cannot be justifiable in my dictionary. How convenient the tennis world is!!!

Knizzle
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:28 AM
don't be silly knizzle, i was not being serious in any way. perhaps i should have used the wink instead of the rolleyes, but i assure you that my words do not express my feelings about the african americans in anyway

Even if you didn't want to hurt or offend anyone, you made a generalization by bringing up south central. So although you didn't mean it maliciously and was making fun of what persond said, it can still be offensive. I do realize that you didn't mean it though so I am not upset.

RYNJ
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Who knows for sure if she was really injured to withdraw from the tournaments. Wish a minor injury which isn't serious enough to force someone outa a tournament, that excuse cannot be justifiable in my dictionary. How convenient the tennis world is!!!

That can be said about any player, not just Serena or Venus for that matter.

Knizzle
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:30 AM

The doctor who performed her surgery knows. Why the hell would Serena just all of a sudden take the whole second half of the year off after Wimbledon and give up her #1 ranking and fail to defend her titles at the US Open, Shanghai, and Leipzig?? Explain that to me.

persond
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:31 AM
and i'm not going to get into an argument about how i'm a racist because i always praise serena and venus, chanda is my favourite player, and you will not find any post on this board made by me where i've intended to discriminate against any race. end of story.

I'd be rich if I had a nickel for everytime I heard this shite...!!!
..."chanda is my favourite player..." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

xr6turbo
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:01 AM
I'm definately going now!!! :bounce:

She won it last year and then went on to win the AO for the first time, why wouldn't she play the Hopman Cup!!!

SpikeyAidanm
Oct 7th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Great field once again :yeah:

However it would be nice to see a change in the Belgium team. It's been Kim and Xavier for three consecutive times now, why not Henin-Hardenne and Olivier?

As for Australia, I would like to see Scud return after his comeback year, good choice for Alicia though.

The Russian team is perfect, I'm so happy that Anastasia is coming to Perth, just hope that Marat doesn't withdraw.

Serena and Blake - that's not bad. Personally I would have preferred a new pairing like Capriati & Roddick, but anyways.

It's great to see Mandula, Hantuchova, Novak and Mauresmo compete.

sbmh
Oct 7th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the great news !
:)

ptkten
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:34 PM
The Australian comment was every bit as offensive as the South Central comment.

pigam
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:07 PM
On a belgian sports-site (sport.be) they make it seem as if Serena isn't coming back to play untill the Hopman Cup... Is this true? Has she already affirmed she won't play the Masters? ... :confused: ???

starr
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Even if you didn't want to hurt or offend anyone, you made a generalization by bringing up south central. So although you didn't mean it maliciously and was making fun of what persond said, it can still be offensive. I do realize that you didn't mean it though so I am not upset.

Oh come on Knizzle.

Persond.. or whatever his name is... made an incredibly offensive statement about Australia yet you did not chastise him at all. If you think it is offensive for Switz simply to turn Persond's statement back around on him to show what an ass he is, why aren't you also chewing out Persond?i

starr
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Oh phuck off...I really don't give a damn what I'm called, since it wouldn't be anything I haven't been called before...!!! I never claimed to not harbor "racist ideologies"...grew up with them...!!!

So here Persond is admitting to "racist ideologies" yet Knizzle, you aren't saying a word about it. Is it ok with you for Persond to make offensive generalizations about an entire group of people (as well as a continent)?

~|Naomi|~
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Oh come on Knizzle.

Persond.. or whatever his name is... made an incredibly offensive statement about Australia yet you did not chastise him at all. If you think it is offensive for Switz simply to turn Persond's statement back around on him to show what an ass he is, why aren't you also chewing out Persond?i

Well said :)

BelgianGirl
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Olivier/Justine would be a nice team too, but it's just great to see Kim and Xavier together again! :D They team up really well! And have lots of fun on the court together. :banana:

(and it makes such nice pics with those to playing mixed doubles together, like my avatar on the MensTennisForum! :p )

~|Naomi|~
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Olivier/Justine would be a nice team too, but it's just great to see Kim and Xavier together again! :D They team up really well! And have lots of fun on the court together. :banana:

(and it makes such nice pics with those to playing mixed doubles together, like my avatar on the MensTennisForum! :p )

Well Kim is the number 1 belgian so the invite goes straight to her, also she has been a great supporter of the event and despite being a top 20 player had no problem with playing quallifying in 2001. Getting Kim to agree to come is also another incentive for Lleyton to come which the organisers especially want, remember adelaide his home town event is the same week, so if they get Kim it would play a part in his decision, after all he never played hopman until his realationship with Kim.

About Xavier I think you got it right why he got the invite, Kim and he get on very well and team up very well, they are exciting to watch and the crowd get into, they endeared themselves to the crowd last year, and so it was an obvious decision to ask him back. But at the same time, who knows Rochus could have been asked to play and he may have said no - we will never know.

Knizzle
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:33 PM
I did say something to him. He chose not to respond to me, but switz did.

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Has anyone heard about whether the Williams sisters will be back for the Championships?

CC
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:41 PM
I think Persond is of the opinion that his negative experiences justifiy his offensiveness towards others.

starr
Oct 7th, 2003, 03:03 PM
I did say something to him. He chose not to respond to me, but switz did.

You said "something" to him, but you did not chastise him for being offensive as you did Switz. Here was your reply to Persond.

"We like Australia!!!! Even though they booed Serena they usually applaud good tennis. I want Serena and James to defend their title. They smacked Kimmie Poo and Belgium and routed Lleyton and the Aussies."

Here are your first two responses to Switz

"WHAT?"

"So you're a racist and persond is a nationalist?? Both are bad, but are very different."

I'd say those are far different responses. You never chastised Persond at all, and you dismissed his offensive remarks as only "nationalism." You also labled Switz a "racist" even though his remark was clearly satirical.

~|Naomi|~
Oct 7th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Hey they didn't smack Belgium , USA only beat them in a thirs set mixed doubles tiebreak

Knizzle
Oct 7th, 2003, 03:07 PM
You said "something" to him, but you did not chastise him for being offensive as you did Switz. Here was your reply to Persond.

"We like Australia!!!! Even though they booed Serena they usually applaud good tennis. I want Serena and James to defend their title. They smacked Kimmie Poo and Belgium and routed Lleyton and the Aussies."

Here are your first two responses to Switz

"WHAT?"

"So you're a racist and persond is a nationalist?? Both are bad, but are very different."

I'd say those are far different responses. You never chastised Persond at all, and you dismissed his offensive remarks as only "nationalism."

So I called switz a racist and persond a nationalist so I said something to both of them, but persond didn't respond to me. If switz never responded to me I wouldn't have said anymore to him. How are those responses different?? If I ask switz WHAT?? how is that chastizing him?? What else is persond's remarks supposed to be if he only said something bad about Australia?? What else does that mean. If someone has something against America what is it called??

Sammm
Oct 7th, 2003, 03:10 PM
I think Serena should play a tour event. She needs to gobble up the ground the belgians have gained in the rankings.

xr6turbo
Oct 7th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Serena enjoyed the Hopman Cup last year, why wouldn't she come back again??

starr
Oct 7th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Knizzle, you are being disingenuous.

You called Switz a racist before he responded to you. My decision to label that as chastising Switz was a charitable one. You called Switz a dirty name with no foundation for it at all. Any objective reader could see that Switz was only responding to someone who had said something offensive about him and his countrymen, and attempting to use satire in order to drive home a point. Yet you called him a racist.

Do not equate calling Persond a nationalist with calling someone else a racist. Even you said that the two were very different.

I am sure you are aware that people are as offended at being called racists as people are at being called ethnically offensive names. That is a deeply hurtful charge and one that should not be tossed about lightly.

vogus
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Knizzle was trying to pull the old double standard of "we can call them whatever names we want but they're not allowed to call us any names back."

persond
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Think what the hell you may...!!! I still hope Venus and Serena stay the hell out of Australia...!!! Now, for the other isssue...None of you asses seemed offended by the shite others posted in here, and yet come out of the woodwork about my comments...!!! Well, good, at least it shows how consistently the asses defend their own, doesn't it...??? My nationalistic comments offend, but, racists comments don't...ah hell, why argue about the shite...you'll never understand anyway.

persond
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Knizzle was trying to pull the old double standard of "we can call them whatever names we want but they're not allowed to call us any names back."

And, you do KNOW about "double standards", don't you...???

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:21 PM
no Spain next year? :(

Knizzle
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Knizzle, you are being disingenuous.

You called Switz a racist before he responded to you. My decision to label that as chastising Switz was a charitable one. You called Switz a dirty name with no foundation for it at all. Any objective reader could see that Switz was only responding to someone who had said something offensive about him and his countrymen, and attempting to use satire in order to drive home a point. Yet you called him a racist.

Do not equate calling Persond a nationalist with calling someone else a racist. Even you said that the two were very different.

I am sure you are aware that people are as offended at being called racists as people are at being called ethnically offensive names. That is a deeply hurtful charge and one that should not be tossed about lightly.

Let me ask you a simple question Starr. What would you call the remark that persond said about all Aussies?? Now all Aussies are not one ethnicity so his comments were motivated by his dislike for a nation. Switz's comments said something about Serena and James going to South Central because they "belonged" there. To me that's racially motivated. They are BOTH wrong like I said before, but they are different. One is national and one is racial. GET IT??

Knizzle
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:28 PM

Knizzle didn't call anybody anything and just who is "we"?? Seems like you are dealing with some of your own personal issues over demographics. I said switz and persond were BOTH wrong.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:55 PM
No idea how they got there, but go Canada in playoffs :p