PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Andre and Steffi -- It's a girl!

MisterQ
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:27 AM
from Tennis Week:

------------------

It's A Girl: Graf Gives Birth To Daughter

Photo: Agassi Enterprises By Tennis Week
10/07/2003
The Agassi family welcomed a new addition on Friday. Steffi Graf gave birth to her second child, a daughter named Jaz Elle Agassi, at Las Vegas' Valley Hospital on Friday at 7:15 a.m.

The 34-year-old Graf had husband Andre Agassi at her side during the baby's birth. The eight-time Grand Slam champion announced after the U.S. Open he was skipping the European fall indoor season in preparation for the birth.

Agassi and Graf have a son, Jaden Gil, who weighed in at five pounds, 14 ounces when he was born on October 27th, 2001 three weeks premature, and less than a week after Agassi and Graf were married. Agassi said he spent the night in Graf's room at Valley Hospital in Las Vegas in anticipation of the birth and has been a proud dad ever since.

"I have this small gift from God at home," Agassi said. "I can't get enough of him. I just have to look at him the whole day."

A 22-time Grand Slam champion, Graf retired from professional tennis in 1999 shortly after beating Martina Hingis to win the 1999 French Open title and reaching the Wimbledon final.

It was a busy weekend for the Agassi family. Hours after the birth of his daughter, Agassi was on stage at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas to host his annual charity event, Andre Agassi's Grand Slam for Children, that raised a record $12.6 million for the Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation.

More than 6,300 fans crowded the facility Saturday night to see Sheryl Crow, Billy Joel, Sir Elton John, Dennis Miller, Robin Williams, along with surprise appearances by Sarah McLachlan and Curt Smith and Roland Orzabal of the legendary musical group, Tears for Fears. Grammy Award-winning producer David Foster served as the musical coordinator for the eighth year.

The evening was highlighted by the unexpected donation by Warner, the mastermind behind the Beanie Babies' phenomenon. Warner, the founder and chairman of Ty, Inc., matched the initial $6.3 million raised earlier in the evening, bringing the total fundraising efforts to $12.6 million.

"Once again, I am overwhelmed by the ongoing support the Grand Slam for Children receives each year from fellow Las Vegans, national business leaders like Ty Warner and the entertainment industry," Agassi said. "It is gratifying to know that the money we raised tonight will directly benefit children who require our immediate assistance."

More than 2,100 VIPs and corporate sponsors attended a pre-concert reception and dinner. Following the pre-event celebration, the AACF hosted a live auction with items including a private tennis clinic with Agassi and Graf; a FAO Schwartz sleepover for 12 children in Los Angeles with guest appearance by Shaquille O'Neal; a custom-designed, seasonal food and wine pairing for up to 12 people in the winning bidder's home with Chef Emeril Lagasse; a Mercedes-Benz 2004 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet; and a trip for two to attend Sir Elton John's private "White Tie and Tiara Ball" in London.

The Grand Slam for Children concert fundraiser benefits the AACF, a not-for-profit organization established in 1994 to assist at-risk youth in Las Vegas, where Agassi was raised. More than 70,000 fans and VIP guests have attended eight sold-out Grand Slam events, raising more than $36.1 million for charity.
:)

MisterQ
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:31 AM
sorry, I didn't see that there was already a thread about this! But if you want to add more congrats here, do so!