PDA

View Full Version : Which match will you be voting for?

shap_half
Oct 6th, 2003, 02:54 PM
It's the last week of the poll on the WTA website. And the featured matches are:
2000 US OPEN SF
V. Williams d. Hingis 46, 63, 75

2001 AUSTRALIAN OPEN QF
Hingis d. S. Williams 62, 36, 86

2002 AUSTRALIAN OPEN FINAL
Capriati d. Hingis 46, 76(7), 62

2003 US OPEN
Henin-Hardenne d. Capriati 46, 75, 76(4)

Without any bias towards your favorite player, which match do you really think was the best?

I'm between the AUSOpen QF between Serena and Martina
and
the USOpen SF between Jenn and Justine.

What do y'all think?
Discuss

DA FOREHAND
Oct 6th, 2003, 04:59 PM
2000 US OPEN SF
V. Williams d. Hingis 46, 63, 75

DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS MATCH ON TAPE? FOR TRADE?

Jen'sFan
Oct 6th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Australian Open quarter - Hingis-Serena

Lady
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Justine vs Jen, of course ;)

Knizzle
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:19 PM
I haven't seen the AO 2001 QF, but out of the other three. Venus/Hingis was the most entertaining and well played to me.

bandabou
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:25 PM
If people drool over Justine vs Jen, then they should go back and re-watch the ´01 oz qrtr between Serena and Hingis. That was one of the many great matches Serena played in ´01.

The oz qrtr had much much more drama and ballstriking than the Justine vs Jen semi this year.

alfajeffster
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:25 PM
I'd say the VWilliams def. Hingis 2000 USO semi, however, I was still in my post-Steffi retirement depression, and didn't watch the whole match. I can't agree with the Capriati/Henin-Hardenne match, because I never like seeing someone choke away a match like Capriati did. Much better to see 2 players on form in a good fight.

Lady
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:30 PM
I haven't seen Serena vs Martina 'cos I wasn't in tennis then, but I believe it was a great match and I wish I could see it, bandabou

Kart
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:36 PM
Spoiled for choice ... not :rolleyes:.

I'd probably vote for Martina vs Venus because of the high quality but I think JenCap vs Justine had more drama.

shap_half
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:39 PM
I'm not really happy that people say that Jenn choked the match away. I think that she did choke but I think it was also because Justine was just fearless whenever she was two points away from losing. Some of the best points played during that match was when justine was down either serving to stay in or receiving to stay in.

I voted for the Jenn and Justine match because I loved all the drama.

Joana
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Martina-Venus for sure.

Am I the only person in the world who didn't find AO '02 final all that great? Sure, it had drama, but the quality wasn't really high.

bandabou
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:41 PM
I haven't seen Serena vs Martina 'cos I wasn't in tennis then, but I believe it was a great match and I wish I could see it, bandabou

I saw it and I still remember it like it was yesterday! To my knowledge it is the only qrtr on the list! That must be telling of how a good match it was!

shap_half
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:41 PM
And the choking thing could also be said about the Serena v. Martina match. Serena was up 4-1 in the final set! 4-1!

Lady
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Choking in Jennifer vs Martina, as well>

So there is no great match without choking?? ;) Lol

Knizzle
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Choking in Jennifer vs Martina, as well>

So there is no great match without choking?? ;) Lol

LOL!! Venus/Hingis was great without choking

bandabou
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:47 PM
And the choking thing could also be said about the Serena v. Martina match. Serena was up 4-1 in the final set! 4-1!

O.k...that´s one choking. But to choke a set and 5-3 lead and then a 5-3 lead again?! And without even getting close to a matchpoint?!

shap_half
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:53 PM
the fact that she didn't reach match point could be a testement to justine's will not to have to go there you know.

bandabou
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:57 PM
the fact that she didn't reach match point could be a testement to justine's will not to have to go there you know.

besides 4-1 isn´t that certain for match´-victory, but if you are up and serving for the match. That is choking.

shap_half
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:04 PM
oh serena served for the match and was two points from the match.

and 4-1 is still a bigger difference than 5-3.

regardless, i think you could definitely tell that justine was playing better tennis when she was down 3-5 and 2-5 than when she was up 4-1 in the first set when she choked that set away by getting too concerned with the 50 million BAD calls she received and Jen's bitching.

Knizzle
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:09 PM
oh serena served for the match and was two points from the match.

and 4-1 is still a bigger difference than 5-3.

regardless, i think you could definitely tell that justine was playing better tennis when she was down 3-5 and 2-5 than when she was up 4-1 in the first set when she choked that set away by getting too concerned with the 50 million BAD calls she received and Jen's bitching.

Did Serena serve for the match?? I never heard this. I think when she was 2 points away Hingis was serving at 4-5 deuce.

shap_half
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:09 PM
Ok maybe my memory is failing but i coulda sworn serena did but if she didn't then it's my mistake

Lady
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Ok maybe my memory is failing but i coulda sworn serena did but if she didn't then it's my mistake

I guess there was written in the report on WTA Tour that Serena served for the match @ 5/4 , but I can be wrong :angel:

bandabou
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:16 PM
Serena did serve for the match....she was up 4-1 and Hingis made it 4-4, then she broke back for 5-4...but she didn´t reach matchpoints. This was the period when Serena couldn´t put matches away. Totally cruising, but letting people come back.

Still it was a GOOD GOOD match. I think a choke like that is understandable. They were pretty much even....but choking TWICE in a match that you totally dominated is worse than the Serena match imo.

Knizzle
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:16 PM
I guess there was written in the report on WTA Tour that Serena served for the match @ 5/4 , but I can be wrong :angel:

I think that's where it says she is two points away from the match. No matter anyway, it's over and done with.

shap_half
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:19 PM
I agree B, that the Serena/Martina match was great and Martina's reaction afterwards made it even better. But I think the drama of the Cap/HH match was just made for a better show. And apart from that Justine and Jenn both played some excellent tennis even if Jenn was on her road to "choking" she played some amazing points and so did Justine. Just a high quality match and the drama just added to it.

bandabou
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:23 PM
I agree B, that the Serena/Martina match was great and Martina's reaction afterwards made it even better. But I think the drama of the Cap/HH match was just made for a better show. And apart from that Justine and Jenn both played some excellent tennis even if Jenn was on her road to "choking" she played some amazing points and so did Justine. Just a high quality match and the drama just added to it.

Cool. So you liked the Justine-Jen better than the Serena-Martina one?!

shap_half
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Well also what i don't like about the serena/martina one is that after having seen serena play now, serena just wasn't playing her best tennis in that match. as oppposed to jen and justine who were just coming up with excellent shots and rallies.

bandabou
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:32 PM
Well also what i don't like about the serena/martina one is that after having seen serena play now, serena just wasn't playing her best tennis in that match. as oppposed to jen and justine who were just coming up with excellent shots and rallies.

Yeah, Serena started slow...but by the second set she was all fired-up. I think the third-set was brilliant by both of them and it´s too bad that Serena´s error crept back in the end.

JennyS
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:43 PM
I voted for the AO final, even though a lot of it was ugly. The second set was just so dramatic though.

I almost voted for the 2003 US Open sf's. This was a hard decision though.

wongqks
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:51 PM
I think AO final has more significance

Jenn and Justine match is definitely of a higher quality though.

I think martina and Serena match was great but it was pretty sloppy at times

Venus Martina is great also, but again the quality fell flat at times. IMO Justine and Jenn match is the only one which kept its intensities from start from finish.

Knizzle
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:54 PM

Venus Martina is great also, but again the quality fell flat at times. IMO Justine and Jenn match is the only one which kept its intensities from start from finish.

Jenn and Justine had tons and tons of errors. Cappy very nearly won 6-4, 6-3 so I wouldn't say there was quality from start to finish, the match was kinda one sided after Juju was up 4-1 in the first set. Capriati won 11 of the next 14 games.

bandabou
Oct 6th, 2003, 10:00 PM

You GOTTA be kidding. It shouldn´t even have been that close in the first place...plus the only reason people act like it was great, was because of the crowd involvement, due to the Serena controversy in Paris.

CapFan#1
Oct 6th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Jenn vs. Justine was the HIGHEST quality match out of the 4 BY FAR, however I am still voting for the 2002 AO Final, which had the BEST drama out of all of these matches.

Knizzle
Oct 6th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Jenn vs. Justine was the HIGHEST quality match out of the 4 BY FAR

This is simply not true.

¤CharlDa¤
Oct 6th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Definitely Venus/Martina in 2000! It was the amtch that brought me so fan to tennis and the start of my undying love for Queen V :worship:

SerenaSlam
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:13 PM
i like quality matches, not drama filled matches. and when you think about it, the quality is sick the drama doesn't even come till the end in those matches.

Sam L
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:06 AM
Purely for the quality of the match: Serena vs. Martina.

Trish101
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:45 AM
Quality? well according to Marina Navratilove, the best singles player in history as far as im concerned, named the Jen, Juju match one of the top 16 'ever'...well it the Martina/ serena match was better, why didnt it get the same endorsement?...well its obviously because Jen And Justine were the better match

...too bad Knizzle, Navrat. is more an expert on match quality than you.

Trish101
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:47 AM
and as far as im concerned thats all that matters, im sure Chrissie Evert and BJK would agree too.... so bite my blonde ass biotch! :devil:

LeonHart
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:57 AM
I voted for Jen/Justine. :)

Mister B
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:06 AM
According to me, the best quality tennis was definitely US 2000 SF... both players were playing absolutely GREAT and you never could tell who would win... I have the match on tape and it's the best I've seen in my life..

AO 2001 is still my favorite, Martina showing great determination and there was super suspense in the third set!

AO 2002 was more sad to watch than cool..

and US 2003 was really entertaining to watch, it was really fun!

That's my opinion!

Knizzle
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:15 AM
Quality? well according to Marina Navratilove, the best singles player in history as far as im concerned, named the Jen, Juju match one of the top 16 'ever'...well it the Martina/ serena match was better, why didnt it get the same endorsement?...well its obviously because Jen And Justine were the better match

...too bad Knizzle, Navrat. is more an expert on match quality than you.

Seeing as Graf is the greatest singles player, your opinion means as much to me as say....Jennifer Capriati :devil: Navrat is known to be jealous of the WS at times so.....

Hingiswinsthis
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:21 AM
I remember a poll back in 2001 here to pick the best match of the year and Serena vs. Martina OZ won, strange being it was at the first major of the year :eek:

Jen vs. Justine was the most dramatic and BRAWL out of the four.

Venus vs. Martina was traditional counter puncher vs. power babe. Venus played an ugly first set and half and hingis's missed chances in the 3rd degrades this one for me.

Jen vs. Martina is the most personal match out of the four, in my opinion the major that drove out Hingis out of the game.

Serena vs. Oz is a CLASSIC, that 3rd set was just....no words can describe it. Serena's net court winner to save match point still plays on my mind. MJ said "Incredible tennis!".

i will vote for the Australian Open one.

Trish101
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:23 AM
why would a greatest match award concern the williams sisters? theve never even had a GOOD match let alone a GREAT one... you see Navy doesnt have to diss the williams because she doesnt consider any of there matches to be of high enough quality when facing other opponents...unless of course her opponents name is Jennifer Capriati :devil: so eat me biotch :devil:

Trish101
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:27 AM
and i dont Blame martina either...the Williams may be talented but there matches are nothing to gloat over thank you very much, Jen on the other hand, ALWAYS gives the fans there monies worth, in comparisons 90% of the time fans ASK..no DEMAND there money back after one of Serenas all to typical no-shows....either a no show or a discusting bash fest...no thank you, ill stick with the fan-friendly Jen.