PDA

View Full Version : Myskina the best Russian (by a lot)

Volcana
Oct 6th, 2003, 02:01 PM
That wasn't my opinion at first, but the numbers all favor her.

She's top ten

She's only 114 points behaind the top ranked Russian, who had played four more turnaments.

She won a Tier I this year

She has six WTA singles titles, including four this year. The next closest Russian only has three-for-career.

She's only 22.

An 8-4 record in 2003 vs other Russinas

Sydney 32 L Elena BOVINA (RUS) 3-6 5-7
Doha QF W Dinara SAFINA (RUS) 6-2 7-5
Doha FR W Elena LIKHOVTSEVA (RUS) 6-3 6-1
Dubai 32 W Dinara SAFINA (RUS) 6-4 6-3
Indian Wells 64 L Svetlana KUZNETSOVA (RUS) 4-6 7-6(7) 3-6
Sarasota 16 W Nadia PETROVA (RUS) 5-7 6-4 1-0 Retired
Sarasota QF W Elena DEMENTIEVA (RUS) 6-2 3-6 6-1
Berlin 32 L Vera ZVONAREVA (RUS) 1-6 2-6
Rome 16 W Svetlana KUZNETSOVA (RUS) 6-4 7-5
French Open 128 W Dinara SAFINA (RUS) 6-2 6-2
Canadian Open 16 L Elena DEMENTIEVA (RUS) 6-2 1-6 1-6
Leipzig QF W Nadia PETROVA (RUS) 6-7(5) 6-1 6-1

Ballbuster
Oct 6th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Whippee DOOO!

I still don't like her for what she said in last years Austrialian Open. I guess I'll forgive her when one of the sistahs get a hold of her. Till then she's on my shit list.

Volcana
Oct 6th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Whippee DOOO!

I still don't like her for what she said in last years Austrialian Open.

What did she say? And was it after a loss? Players say stupid things after losses.

sartrista7
Oct 6th, 2003, 03:30 PM
What did she say? And was it after a loss? Players say stupid things after losses.

I assume Ballbuster is referring to THIS year's Aus Open, as Nastya didn't get too much time to say anything at the 2002 Aus Open. I also assume he's referring to Nastya's comments following her QF loss to Clijsters that "Kim is playing like the best player in the world right now", or something along those lines (given Serena's performance vs Loit and Kim's destruction of all in her path that year so far, it wasn't a hugely implausible statement in any case).

Venus once said after playing (and beating) Nastya (at one of the green clay tournaments in 2002, I believe) that "at times, it was like playing the world No 1 out there" :D

Daniel
Oct 6th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Nastya :worship: , I hope she has a great week in Filderstadt. :)

CoriaFan4ever
Oct 6th, 2003, 05:44 PM
That wasn't my opinion at first, but the numbers all favor her.

She's top ten

She's only 114 points behaind the top ranked Russian, who had played four more turnaments.

She won a Tier I this year

She has six WTA singles titles, including four this year. The next closest Russian only has three-for-career.

She's only 22.

An 8-4 record in 2003 vs other Russinas

Doha QF W Dinara SAFINA (RUS) 6-2 7-5
Doha FR W Elena LIKHOVTSEVA (RUS) 6-3 6-1

Dubai 32 W Dinara SAFINA (RUS) 6-4 6-3
Indian Wells 64 L Svetlana KUZNETSOVA (RUS) 4-6 7-6(7) 3-6
Sarasota 16 W Nadia PETROVA (RUS) 5-7 6-4 1-0 Retired
Sarasota QF W Elena DEMENTIEVA (RUS) 6-2 3-6 6-1
Berlin 32 L Vera ZVONAREVA (RUS) 1-6 2-6
Rome 16 W Svetlana KUZNETSOVA (RUS) 6-4 7-5
French Open 128 W Dinara SAFINA (RUS) 6-2 6-2
Canadian Open 16 L Elena DEMENTIEVA (RUS) 6-2 1-6 1-6
Leipzig QF W Nadia PETROVA (RUS) 6-7(5) 6-1 6-1

FYI:
She won over Lina in straight sets in Leipzig as well.
But I have to agree with all the points you make, Nastya the Russian no.1 :worship:

Iroda_Fan
Oct 6th, 2003, 07:27 PM
I like this girl, but NOBODY will replace Elena Dementieva. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Justinefan
Oct 6th, 2003, 07:41 PM
I agree Iroda_fan... Elena get's that serve in gear and she will do some serious damage in the top 10.. She is by far the top Russian.. Anna Kournikova was good for one thing and one thing only.. Giving other good Russians the courage to play!

DEETHELICK
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:14 PM
The statistics don't lie, and yes Myskina has had a great year, but the question is, is this the peak of her potential?

Elena definitely has more wins over the elite players, has had good success in the higher tier tournaments, etc. and had a chance to hit a career high (and Russian high for ladies) No. 6 last week (and she can still do it), won her 1st tournament defeating the TOP players, has a silver medal, has reached the SFs of a GS, etc.

We look at how many events Elena played, but how many points did she actually gain from them. She lost 1st round AO, FO and Miami (3 VERY big events) and numerous other 1st round losses as well.

Dementieva has just got used to the title winning habit, now its a case of maintaining that sort of form.

The only reason why Elena hasn't got all the titles Myskina has is because she was mentally weaker before, with confidence under her belt it'll be good to see what Elena achieves. I'm looking for those stats to change in 2004.

I really am happy for Myskina, but she wins a weak Tier I and all of a sudden she is the best Russian. I've always maintained that Anna K and Elena D were the best Russians, at least one of them is starting to live upto the promise.

Good luck Elena, prove yourself to be Russian No. 1!!! :)

Kart
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:23 PM
I've never been the greatest believer in statistics but I have to concede that my lack of faith in Myskina's abilities has been severely tested in the last few weeks :rolleyes:.

She's done exceptionally well recently :worship: but she needs to build on it otherwise I can see the other Russians catching up with her fast.

the cat
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Right now Myskina is the best Russina. But Dementieva is close behind!

X-Lurker
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:00 PM
I've never been the greatest believer in statistics but I have to concede that my lack of faith in Myskina's abilities has been severely tested in the last few weeks :rolleyes:.

I completely agree, I'm really shocked at how she hasn't fallen but I'm happy for her because her comments always crack me up, shes always saying how shes thinking of quitting or how she was thinking of how angry her boyfriend was going to be so she started playing better or how she loses at "stupid" but knows the other players must cheat.

At first I was worried about her but now I think she has a great dry sense of humour. I wish we could see more of her matches on North American TV!

yawno
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:31 PM
Elena definitely has more wins over the elite players

Come one now, you are making it sound as if Nastya has never beaten any top player before Leipzig this year, she's beaten Clijsters and Henin each a couple of times now!!
And yes the statistics, don't lie. Nastya has won more tournaments than Elena and more important ones, that's fact.
I like Elena, but there's no way you can deny Nastya's success, she's proven more so far and should be considered the Russian No.1
But why put the Russian girls head to head like this anyway. :confused: let's just keep our fingers crossed for them against France in fed cup, this is more important to both Nastya/Lena I'm sure. :wavey:

goldenlox
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:41 PM
I agree. I view the Russians as one group who are pushing each other.
And creating extra competition for each other.
When Dementieva won two straight tournaments, Myskina picked her game up.
And there are plenty others with a lot of room for improvement.

kournikovafan13
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:24 AM
Elena definitely has more wins over the elite players and has had good success in the higher tier tournaments

Right, and WHO won Moscow again? Refresh my memory.

and had a chance to hit a career high (and Russian high for ladies)

She didn't do it, so why should it matter? Anna K had a chance to win a tournament (many, actually), and she didn't do it. No one is saying "she had a chance to win a tournament". :rolleyes:

won her 1st tournament defeating the TOP players

Well, it also took her 5 years to do it. Nastya did it much quicker. That is unfair.

Has reached the SFs of a GS, etc.

When Nastya gets a piss-easy draw like that and doesn't make the semi-finals, then gimme a call. :) And since that time over 3 years ago, Elena has failed to make it past the fourth round of a slam.

We look at how many events Elena played, but how many points did she actually gain from them. She lost 1st round AO, FO and Miami (3 VERY big events) and numerous other 1st round losses as well.

So all of a sudden losing early in those tournaments is a good thing? Just because she got more points in other events? No, I don't think so. The best Russian isn't supposed to lose in the first round of three of the biggest tournaments of the year. You're basically taking away Elena's worst three tournaments of the year and saying well now she has as many tournaments as Nastya so it's okay. No, it doesn't work like that.

The only reason why Elena hasn't got all the titles Myskina has is because she was mentally weaker before, with confidence under her belt it'll be good to see what Elena achieves. I'm looking for those stats to change in 2004.

Ok, I'll give you that, before this year Elena was mentally weaker, sure. But let's take a look at how many titles each has in 2003

Dementieva 3
Myskina 4 :D Whadda know?

I really am happy for Myskina, but she wins a weak Tier I and all of a sudden she is the best Russian. I've always maintained that Anna K and Elena D were the best Russians, at least one of them is starting to live upto the promise.

Excuse me, but if Elena had won that "weak Tier I" you would've been kissing her ass and you know it. It's a Tier I and that's it. Elena couldn't beat Momo and Nastya could. It's not a case of Nastya becoming the "best Russian", but people finally realizing it. She has taken so much shit on this board; she's incredibly underrated.

The only reason people considered Elena the best Russian is because they have short-term memories and are fair-weather fans. Just because Alyona's had a few good tournaments this year doesn't automatically mean she is the best.

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:28 AM
whoa

goldenlox
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Yeah, calm down. They played in Toronto. It's close.

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:34 AM
I've never seen someone freak out and support Myskina like that..

goldenlox
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:37 AM
That is a part of Russian Roulette. There are fans of one player who don't want other Russians to get complimented.
It's all in good humor though.
This person has a good sense of humor. I remember the old sig.

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:40 AM
lol.. okay.. So if I say Elena Dementieva is the best russian... he/she will freak out?

goldenlox
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:43 AM
I guess we'll find out. lol

kournikovafan13
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:16 AM
lol.. okay.. So if I say Elena Dementieva is the best russian... he/she will freak out?

Yes I will you motherf***ing piece of #$i%!!! #$&@#$&#!!!!! :fiery: :fiery: :mad:

No, lol. I'm not usually like that, relax. I don't mean to take a dig at you, Deethelick, I was just expressing my opinion. :wavey: I've always respected you as a poster and wouldn't usually do that, I was just in a bad mood ;)

kournikovafan13
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:19 AM
That is a part of Russian Roulette. There are fans of one player who don't want other Russians to get complimented.
It's all in good humor though.
This person has a good sense of humor. I remember the old sig.

Thanks goldenlox :p And I really like most of the Russians.....unfortunately Alyona is not one of them :tape:

F-R-E-A-K
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:21 AM
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAH VAMOS LENA BOVINA!!!

LeonHart
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:30 AM
Vera also man-handled Nastya at Berlin 6-1 6-2 ;)
but yes, Nastya has improved alot :bounce:

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 03:06 AM
whoa.. lol good freak out kournkikova lol j/k.. your a big russian fan?? any specifics besides nastya.. or do you like all of them.... i never realized Elena Bovina had fans...What do you all think of Maria's most recent win?? I saw her play in New York.. she is pretty impressive for 16.. a little loud..but good!

LeonHart
Oct 7th, 2003, 03:13 AM
whoa.. lol good freak out kournkikova lol j/k.. your a big russian fan?? any specifics besides nastya.. or do you like all of them.... i never realized Elena Bovina had fans...What do you all think of Maria's most recent win?? I saw her play in New York.. she is pretty impressive for 16.. a little loud..but good!
Hey I'm a Bovina fan! :hatoff:

kournikovafan13
Oct 7th, 2003, 03:17 AM

Well, I'm a big Kirilenko fan....I also like Krasnoroutskaya & Safina.

Volcana
Oct 7th, 2003, 03:20 AM
I don't think this is the peak of Myskina's talent. I though LAST YEAR was the peak of her talent. This year is a total in your face.

Curtis F
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:10 AM
I like this girl, but NOBODY will replace Elena Dementieva. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

I'll take Myskina's steadiness over Dementieva's streakiness any day. :angel:

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:13 AM
Dementieva wouldn't be so streaky if she'd get a coach to fix that serve.. mom is great to have as a coach.. but like roddick you've got to switch coaches when it's hurting your game... i have to say i'm not familiar with kirilenko?? is she good?? Safina is cool i saw her play! She's a fighter

slice
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:52 AM
i watched that match where myskina lost to bovina and elena acted like the biggest spoilt brat on the tour! wheneva a callw ent against her, she would look and shout at the lines judge and wen he called a shot out, she would look at him and applaud. what a bitch! :rolleyes:

alexusjonesfan
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:54 PM
I'll take Myskina's steadiness over Dementieva's streakiness any day. :angel:

dunno if you can call Nastasya steady either. She's had quite the last couple of weeks...but before that she'd seemingly gone off the boil in the early summer and was expected to be easily kicked out of the top 10. She's about as hot and cold as a Russina gets ;)

bandabou
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:06 PM
wow, that´s the advantage of the Russians, they have so many good but not great players...that every week they have a new best player.

Two weeks ago it was Elena D, now it´s Myskina...who´s next?! Maria?!

DEETHELICK
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:54 PM
No offence taken Kourinkovafan13! ;)

But quite an outburst!

Not taking anything away from Myskina, she has what she has, but I still feel that Elena is the player who has really improved much more and in my eyes is the best Russian. Even when she wasn't winning titles, I thought she was the best Russian!! :D

Myskina had already won a title when she rose up to the Top 10-12, so that pressure was off. She also wasn't being compared to Anna K (which Elena was) so the spotlight really was off her during her rise.

Thing is, Myskina plays nice tennis, I actually have started to enjoy her game, but she won two tournaments in a row (with Kim retiring - and Kim was in control of that match in the 2nd set and a very weak draw for a Tier I) and she is touted as the best Russian.

I understand why posters may feel she is the best Russian AT THIS POINT IN TIME as she has won two big titles and defeated the World's 1 and 2, but I'm still very skeptical about Myskina's potential. She is a great player and is ranked just where she should be.

As TeeRexx said in a post about Elena, Myskina may be the best Russian at this point in time, but the season is far from over and I hope Elena wins a GS next, just so we can then start proclaiming her as the best Russian too!

PS - Whilst Elena has been streaky, apart from dropping to 21 or 22 this year, since 2000, she has been in the Top 20, with her 1st round losses and ZERO tournament wins, that to me shows some consistency, somewhere. Elena has to UP her GS level, its very true that she has underachieved there, but all I can say (and hope for) is wait for 2004!

Good luck Myskina, but even more good luck to Elena!! Prove your potential girl!! :)

Justinefan
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:22 PM
I agree... Elena has been the better Russian this year...yeah they are all streaky.. but they are all so young.. give them a chance.. they'll get better.. they are all doing reasonably well... they can only improve.

moo_ont
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Yeah! agreed. Give them some time to prove themselves before jumping to the conclusion who is the better or the best. Other Russians are good as well, so next year should be fun to watch.

Honestly, I like Myskina's style more than Elena's, but I have to accept Elena has more potential to be a better player. I wish them all the best!!!