PDA

View Full Version : Fears grow for Kournikova

Chance
Oct 6th, 2003, 01:08 PM
A thousand apologies if this has been posted before ;)

Fears grow for Kournikova
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/3110389.stm

Anna Kournikova's agent has admitted it is unlikely that the Russian will ever return to top level tennis.
The 22-year-old has managed only five tournaments this year due to a chronic back injury and has been reduced to playing exhibition doubles matches.

Agent Phil de Picciotto said Kournikova's return was "undetermined".

"I wouldn't put odds on it. She's playing some exhibitions later in the year and then she will see more from there," he told The Observer newspaper.

Kournikova has a chronic sprain of the lumbar spine, a condition which is inoperable.

"Playing too many days in a row, too many weeks in a row, is a problem," said De Picciotto. "Playing on occasions is not a problem.

"So the question is, as it would be for any top-level player, can she sustain the rigours of a year-long circuit that basically has no off season?"

De Picciotto also revealed that Kournikova had dispensed with the services of coach Harold Solomon, who was recruited to turn around the Russian's form last year.

Stress fracture

Kournikova reached the semi-finals of Wimbledon in 1997 at the age of 16 and quickly established herself in the world's top 10.

However, a first WTA title continued to elude her and she soon faced criticism for her ability to attract millions in sponsorship despite apparently underachieving on court.

She suffered a stress fracture in her left foot in 2001 and failed to rediscover her form, despite the recruitment of Solomon.

The 22-year-old recently tried her hand at presenting at the US Open, but lasted only three days after admitting that she found interviewing her fellow players difficult.

Her one-time doubles partner Martina Hingis, also 22, was forced to quit the game earlier this year after suffering from severe ankle problems.

On Sunday, Russia's Maria Sharapova, who has attracted comparisons to Kournikova, lifted her first WTA trophy at the age of 16.

GBFH
Oct 6th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Haven't seen this report, specifically...but it's the same-old, same-old. Had to be a press release from the Kournikova camp after Sharapova won her first title. Poor Anna :sad: Get well soon!

wilson-dunlop
Oct 6th, 2003, 01:45 PM
I think she could definatly come back and play doubles like Martina(15-20 events a year) if she can't play singles..

ajayares
Oct 6th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Haven't seen this report, specifically...but it's the same-old, same-old. Had to be a press release from the Kournikova camp after Sharapova won her first title. Poor Anna :sad: Get well soon!

Actually the article appeared in the Observer on Sunday Morning (Sharapova hadn't played her final)

As for BBC versions, it the typical misleading sh!t they are known for.

Since when does "undetermined" mean " unlikely" and normally when you want to put a quote together it would be nice to get it atleast in context, the way the BBC have put it togther it aren't and very misleading, especially this bit.

Agent Phil de Picciotto said Kournikova's return was "undetermined".

"I wouldn't put odds on it"

the I wouldn't put odds on it, was in relation to a question about the odds of her returning to the tour, if they were better then 50-50, de Picciotto didn't want to talk about the odds..

Anyway just read the observer article if you are interested in the whole story and not some reharsh job..

BTW It is the same old sh!t from him anyway.. Anna said she plans on coming back, so she aren't going to atleast try playing tournaments at some stage and that aren't going to be before the end of this year, as it fucks up her injury ranking that she will get next mth.
A ranking of #299 isn't going to get you into any tournaments.

Just on a side note- did anyone see the pics of Anna's dress at Andre's foundation dinner on Saturday night? One of the best ever IMO, if that means anything ;) you can see the very small pics at wireimage.

mishar
Oct 6th, 2003, 01:58 PM
I saw Anna play on tv at the Smash Hits exhibition. She was playing doubles with Chanda and two collegiate players -- at first you could see why she was such a great doubles player, she hit some amazingly creative shots, and I thought perhaps I was watching a tape from 2 or 3 years ago. But later in the night her back started hurting and she couldn't serve, not at all -- she double-faulted every point in the game. It was painful to watch.

tenn_ace
Oct 6th, 2003, 02:20 PM
what Mishar said...

I was at that exhibition match and even posted a report (in Anna K. cheering thread in the Russian Roulette).

I'd be really surprised to see her back. She started the first match brilliantly, but then after that it was all downhill. I certainly don't know why, but the only explanation is that her back was hurting.

BTW, she still wears that patch (to all Anna bashers who said it was pregnancy, blah-blah-blah :mad: :rolleyes: )

At some point in her last match (she played with Andre vs. John Mac/Chanda) she made 3 or 4 df and there were booes from the crowd. Anna looked a little embarassed.

To summarize, I'd be extremely surprised and delighted if she comes back eventually. But I don't hold my breath.

ally baker
Oct 6th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Anna Kournikova's agent has admitted it is unlikely that the Russian will ever return to top level tennis.

Does this officially mean that any Anna Kournikova posts must be moved to Non-Tennis now?

*JR*
Oct 6th, 2003, 02:57 PM
The headline (for which I blame the BBC, not sunset who simply posted the article "as is") makes one think they're "going tabloid". It's like she was diagnosed with a life-threatening disease! For God's sake, all it means is that maybe she'll be a (quite wealthy) ex-player pursuing another career. I WONDER if after the promising Brie Rippner tore up her ankle in Oz back in '01 (leading to her retirement after 2 failed comeback attempts) there was a single, solitary story using "Fears grow..." in the headline! :rolleyes:

Ballbuster
Oct 6th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Poor Anna! I hope she comes back again. If only for comic relief.

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 6th, 2003, 03:39 PM
I saw this exhibition as well. Anna didn't play badly, she started well, but her back pain was very apparent towards the end of her playing. It was nice to see her though. I myself am quite unsure if she will ever return. :( If she doesn't I don't know what I'm going to do. :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Car Key Boi
Oct 6th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Kournikova has a chronic sprain of the lumbar spine, a condition which is inoperable.

is this the "Official" position of Anna Kournikova and her team? or something the media are saying?

Jen'sFan
Oct 6th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Oh well, not gonna be a great loss is she? Not even one title to her name, over-rated imo.

apoet29
Oct 6th, 2003, 05:13 PM
I wish that Anna would come out and speak instead of letting her agent do the talking for her. At this point, it is difficult for any fan to know what her intentions are because we keep hearing from her agent that her back injury is too severe for her to ever return to playing, yet Kournikova does seem to have the desire to return, so which is it?

MonicAnna, if she doesn't return, you will go on. It hurts when a fave retires, but your love of the sport, I'm sure, will endure.

BTW, she did look nice in that dress. It looks like something out of Versace's collection. She doesn't look thrilled in the photos though. Maybe she read the tabloid reports that Enrique has been cheating on her again.

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 6th, 2003, 05:26 PM
I wish that Anna would come out and speak instead of letting her agent do the talking for her. At this point, it is difficult for any fan to know what her intentions are because we keep hearing from her agent that her back injury is too severe for her to ever return to playing, yet Kournikova does seem to have the desire to return, so which is it?

MonicAnna, if she doesn't return, you will go on. It hurts when a fave retires, but your love of the sport, I'm sure, will endure.

BTW, she did look nice in that dress. It looks like something out of Versace's collection. She doesn't look thrilled in the photos though. Maybe she read the tabloid reports that Enrique has been cheating on her again.
I hope I do. But she will never be off my mind though. PLEASE COME BACK ANNA!!! I CAN'T LOSE YOU AND MONICA BOTH!!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

vogus
Oct 6th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Anna: "Nice job with that press release, Phil. Here's your check for two million."

Daniel
Oct 6th, 2003, 06:22 PM
Hope she gets better!!!

wilson-dunlop
Oct 6th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Oh well, not gonna be a great loss is she? Not even one title to her name, over-rated imo.

And a 3-1 record against J-Cap!

williamsfan
Oct 6th, 2003, 06:31 PM
:lol: At Ally Baker :lol:

Dava
Oct 6th, 2003, 06:36 PM
OMG! Her career is over :sad:

baleineau
Oct 6th, 2003, 07:27 PM
wake up guys. it wasn't just injury that led to this statement being released. anna's tennis fell apart way back early in 2002 when she came back injury-free but could barely beat anybody in the top-50. She then started playing (and losing 1st round) of Challengers and Tier IIIs and finally, to save embarassment, a story about chronic injury was cooked up. It's easier to say "I'm injured" than "I'm actually crap". And it's easier to promote "poor victim Anna" than "Sad, loser Anna".

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 6th, 2003, 07:56 PM
wake up guys. it wasn't just injury that led to this statement being released. anna's tennis fell apart way back early in 2002 when she came back injury-free but could barely beat anybody in the top-50. She then started playing (and losing 1st round) of Challengers and Tier IIIs and finally, to save embarassment, a story about chronic injury was cooked up. It's easier to say "I'm injured" than "I'm actually crap". And it's easier to promote "poor victim Anna" than "Sad, loser Anna".
:haha: im sorry but that is the funniest thing ive ever read :haha:

Yak
Oct 6th, 2003, 07:58 PM

I agree! That's very funny! Funny but untrue! She started playing like crap after she came back from the stress fracture.

jenny161185
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:06 PM
i could nt imagine if ANNA quit it would be kinda strange - I want her back!

The Guilty
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:57 PM

A crap player that beat Conchita 1-6 6-2 6-1 in 2002 :haha:

goldenlox
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:58 PM
One quote from de Picciotto says that Anna is still playing the singles exhibitions.
That will give everyone a better idea of how close she is to being on the tour next year.

tennisjam
Oct 7th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Anna is not just a loser...she is a very rich loser... ;)