PDA

View Full Version : Martina and Sveta - split?

JonBcn
Oct 6th, 2003, 12:01 PM
They're not playing doubles together this week in Filderstadt, although they're both at the event, anyone know why?

I doubt if its a permanent split; they've had a great year and should qualify for the WTA Championships, I read in the Filderstadt forum rumours that Martina wants to play with Lisa Raymond in the run up to the Olympics. That doesn't explain why she's pairing with Cara Black this week though... (And with Raymond/Stubbs back together albeit temporarily, this doesnt make much sense).

Any ideas?

BasicTennis
Oct 6th, 2003, 12:22 PM
this is good for Sveta...at least for now she could concentrate on her singles game, Maria Sharapova is slowly overshadowing her achievements already.;)

ChrisGermany
Oct 6th, 2003, 12:59 PM
If you would have read the forum you quoted correctly you would have noticed your post is a "non post" ;)

Sveta is in qualifying for Filderstadt and Zurich and I doubt it would have been a great thing withdrawing from qualifying if still being in doubles the last minute.

If you re-consider the fact that Martina and Sveta overtook Lindsay and Lisa in the LA qualifying, itīs not necessary for them to play all those events together.

Therefore, and as ElenaL is resting this week too, it might have been that Cara and Martina got together due to the fact that both ElenaL and SvetaK will appear in the qualifying in Zurich.

Zurich starts their first round on a Sunday, therefore I would not be too surprised to see the qualifying start on a Friday and how could Sveta have handled that if still being in doubles in Stuttgart and keen on playing singles in Zurich as well.

This is a "one tournament"-decision and not on a regular basis - even IF Martina is keen on going to Athens with Lisa. Athens is 2004 and we still have 2003 - and a very successful one for both Sveta and Martina having reached the season final.

JonBcn
Oct 6th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Well, thats what I thought (as I said in the original post). Pardon me for not going through each post with fine-toothed-comb ;)

crazillo
Oct 6th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Well, thats what I thought (as I said in the original post). Pardon me for not going through each post with fine-toothed-comb ;)

martina was playing with liezel huber in april and may, too. they are not splitted.

JonBcn
Oct 6th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Yeah, but that was because Sveta was restricted in the number of tournaments she could play as she wasn't 18.

mishar
Oct 6th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Chris' explanation sounds right.

I read an interview with Emilio Sanchez (about Sveta) in which he said that she and Martina would not play doubles again next year. That Martina would play full-time with Lisa Raymond in order to try to qualify for the Olympics. And Sveta would probably play with Nadya Petrova. I wonder what people think of this pairing: Navratilova/Raymond? Will it be good?

tenn_ace
Oct 6th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Martina just wants to be ranked higher than Sveta when they year ends ;)

ChrisGermany
Oct 6th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Going out against Mary/Amelie wonīt rank Martina that much higher than Sveta ;)

I think that the combination of Lisa and Martina is a first class choice regarding the experience. But the results of Martina and Natasha Zvereva once showed that this isnīt what tennis is about these days alone.

Itīs about power and quickness too and even Martinaīs results with Sveta against the youth/wisdom-team of Ai and Kim showed that they didnīt win EVERYTHING this year. They won when Lindsay/Lisa and Ai/Kim didnīt play or at their best.

I donīt think Martina will be as successful with Lisa as with Sveta but it might be enough to be the best US/US-team in female doubles so that might be enough for Athens if the Williams donīt go.

bandabou
Oct 6th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Going out against Mary/Amelie wonīt rank Martina that much higher than Sveta ;)

I think that the combination of Lisa and Martina is a first class choice regarding the experience. But the results of Martina and Natasha Zvereva once showed that this isnīt what tennis is about these days alone.

Itīs about power and quickness too and even Martinaīs results with Sveta against the youth/wisdom-team of Ai and Kim showed that they didnīt win EVERYTHING this year. They won when Lindsay/Lisa and Ai/Kim didnīt play or at their best.

I donīt think Martina will be as successful with Lisa as with Sveta but it might be enough to be the best US/US-team in female doubles so that might be enough for Athens if the Williams donīt go.

You said the key word:IF the sisters are not going the Athens. If the sisters are going, the discussion is already closed for Martina N.

monster
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:29 PM
Hmm Interesting Raymond-Martina- What about Lindsay???

Peter M
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:27 AM
Navratilova/Raymond can't be the Olympic team unless one of them plays singles, too.

Zummi
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:21 AM
I don't think that rule still applies with the Olympics awarding ranking points now.

Martina/Sveta :sad: :sad:

If this is the end, it's very sad. I doubt Martina will be able to repeat the kind of success she's had with Sveta this year. But, if they want to play at the Olympics, it makes sense for them to play with different partners...

vogus
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:25 AM
Olympics or no, it's a good move for Kuznetsova to get out of the pairing with Navratilova. She needs to focus on her singles career, and stop being known as "Navratilova's doubles partner." The pairing has already outlived its usefulness for Sveta.

After the '00 flap over Lisa Raymond, she's a good bet to make the Olympics this time around no matter what. So she can probably choose whoever she wants as a partner, it might not necessarily be Navratilova.

JonBcn
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Ironic that Lisa beat Sveta yesterday in the final round of qualifying for Filderstadt...