PDA

View Full Version : 5- Maria Sharapova def. Aniko Kapros 2-6 6-2 7-6(7-5)

Venus Forever
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Congrats on your FIRST WTA title Maria!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Came from 5-2 down in the tie-break. Won the last 5 points of the match!!

Richie77
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:20 AM
Way to go Maria!! :bounce: :clap2: :yippee:

Venus Forever
Another Russian to beat Anna to her first title. :o

~CANUCK~
way to go maria :worship:

Elitist
:) Congrats Maria! She will be the next great champion...

Richie77
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:22 AM
The win should put Maria in the Top 35 :D

ally baker
:) Congrats Maria! She will be the next great champion...
Was only a matter of time before these posts started....

CONGRATS MARIA FOR WINNING A TOURNEY BEATING ALL OUTSIDE TOP 100 PLAYERS!!!

She's the next Venus... I know it.

narcissus boy
Lucic won her first title at 15, and Sharapova did at nearly 17!! She is sucks!! And will become a model and lose to Zheng!!

AleOrtu
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Aniko has lost? :sad:

Tennisace
Was only a matter before these posts started....

CONGRATS MARIA FOR WINNING A TOURNEY BEATING ALL OUTSIDE TOP 100 PLAYERS!!!

She's the next Venus... I know it.

kudos to her for beating the no. 128, 122, 83, 64, and 242 ;)

brunof
Time to bring on Asagoe...

BK4ever
Congrats to Maria...she definitely has the goods to be great...

Really sad for my fave Aniko though...this was an awful loss...I hope she can recover from her collapse

Knizzle
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:24 AM
Congrats on your FIRST WTA title Maria!!

Came from 5-2 down in the tie-break. Won the last 5 points of the match!!

Congrats Maria!! I will have to edit my sig to honor Maria's first WTA title!! Only 16 years old!! V and S didn't even win a title at 16. Keep it going Masha!!

Clumsythief
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:25 AM
I know that Sharapova is gonna be a huge star, but not that fast. She's got everything, on court and off-court. She's gonna be the most popular female athlete for the next decade. Now, we should not say Maria is the next Anna anymore... Maybe when Anna comes back, we should compare Anna to Sharapova ;)

Cariaoke
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:26 AM
YES! Sharky did it! :D :bounce:

Ruski
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:27 AM
:bounce: Masha Baby!! The Fighter!!! :bounce:

Really Really Happy for your first singles title on your tennis career!!! Of coz' many more will come along!!! :D :kiss: :hearts:

goldenlox
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:28 AM
Down 5-2 in the breaker, Maria showed she can handle pressure.
But winning a tier III doesn't mean she suddenly improved.
But the goal is to win. I still think IMG is setting her up for a disaster.

the cat
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:29 AM
Well done Maria! :D She showed alot of guts. But Maria overcame her inexperience and a very tough opponent in Aniko Kapros to win her first WTA Tour title in her very first WTA Tour final.

goldenlox
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:29 AM
If Maria was going to be a big star, it would have already shown up in internet searches.
I'll bet IMG has their next Kourni-clona all ready for 2004.

BK4ever
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:34 AM
Its obvious by some post in here that some don't like her, but even she is not one of your faves, you have to respect what a player brings to the table...I think if more of us put more emphasis on "game" instead of personality, we would have less fights on this board...

I'm not a fan of Maria the person, but I respect her game and her heart...which she obviously showed today...

alexusjonesfan
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:35 AM
good job Masha! :yeah:

bubble
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:36 AM
Congrats on Masha for sweeping both the doubles and SINGLES titles - her first ever!

WELL DONE! :)

Myskina Lina
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:40 AM
YAY!! Congrats Masha!! :yippee: :dance: :yippee: :dance: :yippee: :woohoo:

Steam
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:44 AM
She won doing what Anna should have done in her earlier years, play lower Tier tournaments. It is much easier facing Aniko Kapros in your first final than Venus Williams.

USST_TOUR
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:47 AM
Maria :)

goldenlox
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:48 AM
Anna won the Orange Bowl and won challengers. She's held a singles trophy.
Maria is getting hyped as a great player. Nobody cares about a tier III.
If she doesn't win slams, she'll be considered a failure.
But she might win slams.

Elitist
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:53 AM
She won doing what Anna should have done in her earlier years, play lower Tier tournaments. It is much easier facing Aniko Kapros in your first final than Venus Williams.

Anna is a choker so it doesn't matter who she plays in a final. In her final vs. Venus, Venus may as well have not even existed, Anna was crushing her like with winners like Venus may as well have not existed, and promptly went to hitting every ball out as though Venus may as well not even existed. All in her hands behbeh.

Erdinger
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:56 AM
Congrats Maria for your first WTA-title :worship:

Quote from wtatour.com:

"At 16 years, five-and-a-half months, Sharapova would be the youngest Tour singles champion if she were beat Kapros in the final."

Is that really true?

Venus Forever
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:57 AM
Congrats Maria for your first WTA-title :worship:

Quote from wtatour.com:

"At 16 years, five-and-a-half months, Sharapova would be the youngest Tour singles champion if she were beat Kapros in the final."

Is that really true?

Youngest THIS year. ;)

BK4ever
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Lets leave Anna out of this...she is not the first nor will she be last good player to never win a singles title...

Maria may never win another title for all we know...I could list several players who won titles early in their careers and have done nothing significant since

Myskina Lina
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:00 AM
Last year Dinara won at 16 years 3 months I think.

LTT
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:01 AM
welldone Maria!!!!

the cat
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:02 AM
If Anna Kournikova comes back in 2004 and shows some good form, these smaller WTA tournaments are the kinds of tournaments she should play.

But if Anna had found a way to beat Venus in the 1998 Lipton final she would be having a much more successful career.

And the slumping Daniela Hantuchova should be playing these smaller tournaments, too.

Maria Sharapova lost alot of junior finals. So it's a good sign that she won her first WTA Tour final. And she won the doubles, too.

GL, you are right about how in time people really won't care about Maria Sharapova winning a Tier lll title for her first WTA Tour title. But it does relieve the pressure of her having to win her first WTA title. Kournikova still faces that pressure. And Elena Dementieva has spoken about how failing to win her first WTA Tour title bothered her for a couple of years. But Maria came through in the clutch and won her first WTA title. And that's a good sign.

goldenlox
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:06 AM
Anna had a fractured ankle when she was #8 in the world.
There's no comparison between Maria and Anna, except IMG forces it on everyone.

The comparison is Maria and Dani. They both are tall, narrow at the shoulders and hips, and they've won one WTA title.

Anna has nothing to do with them.

Gowza
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:10 AM
yeah baby, i thought it would be a tough match but i'm glad masha got through it. i would have been almost as happy if aniko won it as i really respect her groundies and think she will be a pretty good player in the future.

hopefully this win can inspire some youngsters.

what ranking does a player have to be to be on the gold exempt list? i know that the year of their 17th birthday they can be put on the list but they also need to be ranked high enough. masha should be there or close shouldn't she?

Myskina Lina
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Dinara, Sveta & Maria have all done very well winning WTA titles in their 1st year :) :) :)

Erdinger
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Youngest THIS year. ;)
Ahh, that explains the following sentences. Thanks! :cool:

goldenlox
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:13 AM
The last time I looked Sveta hasn't been doing well.
No games in the second set against Pistolesi.
Lost 8 of the last 10 games against Hantuchova.
Something's not right with Sveta.

Gowza
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:14 AM
now we need petrova, lina k and douchevina to win their first titles and bovina and zvonareva to start winning some more titles.

Myskina Lina
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:17 AM
now we need petrova, lina k and douchevina to win their first titles and bovina and zvonareva to start winning some more titles.

I thought about that Gowza, but I didn't want to brign it up :lol: :tape:

goldenlox
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:18 AM
Vera D. is a long way away. She got 6 games against Harkleroad and 3 against Vera Z.

Gowza
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:33 AM
yeah but she reached the semis in helsinki so she could probably win a tier 4 or 5.

goldenlox
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:35 AM
I'm one of those who has only seen Vera D. against Harkleroad.
I know she has some supporters in Russian Roulette.
I hope she becomes a good player. Strength in numbers. Lots of good Russians.

DiZZiA
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:40 AM
:D Not Bad!!! But hopefully you are not another Hantuchova!!!!

goldenlox
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:46 AM
Hantuchova won a tier I. She knocked Justine out of the U.S. Open last year.
She's done a lot, just not recently.

F-R-E-A-K
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:49 AM
welldone Masha!

katrientje
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Congrats Maria!!

nave 2
Oct 5th, 2003, 06:12 AM

Wojtek
Oct 5th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Congrats Maria

vs1
Oct 5th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Congratulations Maria!!! :bounce: I know you could do it, girl!!! I'm so proud of you!!!! YAY!!!! :bounce:

katrientje
Oct 5th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Awww what a cute champion! :kiss:
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20031005/capt.xkan10410050132.japan_open_tennis_xkan104.jpg

Knizzle
Oct 5th, 2003, 06:54 AM

It almost looks like she is holding a GS trophy. Foreshadowing maybe....................???

nave 2
Oct 5th, 2003, 06:55 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20031005/capt.xkan10410050132.japan_open_tennis_xkan104.jpg
:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: Maria :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Jericho
Oct 5th, 2003, 06:58 AM
Good Job Maria! She showed a lot of mental toughness which usually is lacking in someone her age

Knizzle
Oct 5th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Who wants to bet that Maria will make the semis of Wimbledon next year??

vs1
Oct 5th, 2003, 07:16 AM
It almost looks like she is holding a GS trophy. Foreshadowing maybe....................???

Seriously!! Impressive trophy for a Tier III. It sure beats some of these crystal punchbowl the Tier IIs give out. :lol:

I hope Maria will be holding up lots of GS trophies!!! :bounce:

Come-on-kim
Oct 5th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Congrats Maria :bounce:

BasicTennis
Oct 5th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Anna K first and foremost. :sad:

Whatzup
Oct 5th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Congrats Maria :D

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 5th, 2003, 08:04 AM
well done Masha :D :) :hug: :banana: :woohoo:
great recovery in tiebreak

jirobkk
Oct 5th, 2003, 08:18 AM
:kiss: Congrats Masha :kiss: for Single and double champion. :hearts:

http://www.thai.net/jirofromthaimail/japan%20open%202003/TammyMasha3.jpg

http://www.thai.net/jirofromthaimail/japan%20open%202003/TammyMasha2.jpg

http://www.thai.net/jirofromthaimail/japan%20open%202003/TammyMasha5.jpg

Knizzle
Oct 5th, 2003, 08:20 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20031005/capt.sge.lhu56.051003072314.photo00.default-305x384.jpg

Look at that smile!!

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20031005/capt.xkan10310050132.japan_open_tennis_xkan103.jpg

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

katrientje
Oct 5th, 2003, 08:21 AM
thanx Knizzle! wonderful pictures!
Good to see maria so happy!

Smart
Oct 5th, 2003, 08:37 AM
She is really cute.

Joana
Oct 5th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Well done Masha!!! :banana: :cool:

thalle
Oct 5th, 2003, 09:09 AM
:bounce::woohoo: Congrats Masha! You deserved this:D:D:D

sartrista7
Oct 5th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Yay Masha :bounce: Great comeback :D

Winning this proves nothing about her ability... as has already been pointed out, she had a pretty easy time with the draw. Nevertheless, she has the game to be a Slam champion, and she's got that first monkey off her back... it's only a matter of time before some people in here have to eat their words :D

tennischick
Oct 5th, 2003, 10:25 AM
this is nice. i'm happy for Maria. :)

Rothes
Oct 5th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Im happy for her win, good experience but.....

per4ever
Oct 5th, 2003, 10:55 AM
congrats Maria!

gmak
Oct 5th, 2003, 10:58 AM
maria well done sweetheart

:hearts: :smooch: :bowdown: :kiss: :banana:

the first one is alwayes the most difficult one ;)

Sonja
Oct 5th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Well done Maria! Congratulations!!

Doc
Oct 5th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Winning a tour Tournament - even if it were only a Tier V - is always a massive achievement.

A fantastic win for Masha! :bounce:

Hope she can keep it up through next year.

KV
Oct 5th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Yay, great Masha. After the doubles title now the singles. Double made :bounce: :bounce:

Meesh
Oct 5th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Yay Masha :bounce: Great comeback :D

Winning this proves nothing about her ability... as has already been pointed out, she had a pretty easy time with the draw. Nevertheless, she has the game to be a Slam champion, and she's got that first monkey off her back... it's only a matter of time before some people in here have to eat their words :D

It shows great ability. Regardless of who was in the draw, Maria was the last one standing! Hopefully she will build on this win! Congrats!

Experimentee
Oct 5th, 2003, 01:36 PM
kudos to her for beating the no. 128, 122, 83, 64, and 242 ;)

And she struggled, barely scraping through 3 of those 5 matches. :rolleyes:
She deserves congratulations for the win, but does not deserve everyone declaring her to be the next great player, or better than the Williams sisters, just because of this.

Mase
Oct 5th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Congrats Maria!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cybelle Darkholme
Oct 5th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Shara is definitely no anna, thank god!

GO SHARA!!!

sartrista7
Oct 6th, 2003, 02:36 AM
And she struggled, barely scraping through 3 of those 5 matches. :rolleyes:
She deserves congratulations for the win, but does not deserve everyone declaring her to be the next great player, or better than the Williams sisters, just because of this.

Sigh. I don't think anyone is declaring her the greatest based on this tournament, which doesn't prove a lot. However, it is abundantly clear from watching her game that she has a very special talent, and you really don't have to be a sour old **** about it.

goldenlox
Oct 6th, 2003, 02:40 AM
The goal was to avoid the top players and win a tournament. That's what she did. Nagyova has done this several times.
What Nastya has done the last two weeks is so much tougher that it's not even comparable.
But they got what they wanted. A WTA title.

Mr. Man
Oct 6th, 2003, 02:44 AM
Congrats baby! :kiss: :banana:

ally baker
Oct 6th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Sigh. I don't think anyone is declaring her the greatest based on this tournament, which doesn't prove a lot. However, it is abundantly clear from watching her game that she has a very special talent, and you really don't have to be a sour old **** about it.
Saying that Maria is going to win slams, blah blah blah... is saying just about the same.

I'm not saying Maria definitely won't win any slams... because she has the power in all areas to do so. But, as of now, she's miles away from being able to win a slam.

sartrista7
Oct 6th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Saying that Maria is going to win slams, blah blah blah... is saying just about the same.

I'm not saying Maria definitely won't win any slams... because she has the power in all areas to do so. But, as of now, she's miles away from being able to win a slam.

Indeed; agreed on all counts. There's a kneejerk tendency among some people, who have presumably not yet seen her play, to dismiss her as another over-hyped blonde Russian, and it's rather ignorant.