PDA

View Full Version : Should we vote for these awards???

tenn_ace
Oct 5th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Maybe, when the season ends, should we vote for these awards (Russian tennis players only)

Best Year.
Most impressive newcomer.
Best comeback.

what other ones are outthere? and what is the best way of doing it? just nominate couple of players for each category (then who will be on nomination comittee) or include all qualified players? should we ask fans from all of WTAWORLD to vote or should we keep it quiet in Russian Roulette for Russian players fans? Can we somehow promote this in Russian press (maybe connections of fresh and saab95 will help?). Finally, would owners of players website be interested to post results on those sites (LinaK, e.g.)?..

What do you think, guys and girls? Could we do it?

the cat
Oct 6th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Yes tenn_ace. I mean da. ;) We should vote for these awards.

Best Year - Anastasia Myskina - Anastasia's back to back wins in Leipzig and Moscow make her my choice over Elena Dementieva

Most Impressive Newcomer - Maria Sharapova - "Big Masha" Maria Sharapova easily gets the nod over "Little Masha" Maria Kirilenko

Best Comeback - Elena Dementieva's comeback win over Justine Henin in the semifinals of Amelia Island. Elena saved a match point in that match and went on to beat Henin for the first time. Then in the final the next day Elena came from a set down to beat Lindsay Davenport to finally win her first WTA Tour title.

tenn_ace, how about Best Russian Doubles Team award?

tenn_ace
Oct 6th, 2003, 05:51 PM
I thought we would start discussions first about how to do it... There could be more awards that I mention, the cat. I don't remember all of them...

As for the doubles, I would go for a doubles player, not a team, since Russian girls rarely play together 9except for Lena/Lina)

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 6th, 2003, 06:22 PM
best comeback means (player wise in a year not in a match)

Player of year
Newcomer of year
Most Improved
Comeback:
Doubles Team:
Sportsmanship Award:

Best Junior:

Disappointment of Year ??? (could be a little heart-breaking)

tenn_ace
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:43 PM
should we really vote for a team? there is really one all-russian team who played most of the season together? doubles player would make more sense IMO

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:44 PM
doubles player it is then.