PDA

View Full Version : Calling Venus ugly=racism?........

Monsters
Oct 4th, 2003, 06:33 AM
your thought plz.....:)....
no racist comments of course...

LeonHart
Oct 4th, 2003, 06:47 AM
No, everyone says Justine is ugly when she was a kid, I think she's cute. :angel:

Rub
Oct 4th, 2003, 06:52 AM
nope... it's not racism! it's simply the truth! :lol: :lol:

actually, everyone has different taste!

Venus Forever
Oct 4th, 2003, 07:02 AM

Calling them an Ape is you moron, go get a life.

:o

Knizzle
Oct 4th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Calling them an Ape is you moron, go get a life.

:o

When did he call her an ape??

Venus Forever
Oct 4th, 2003, 07:09 AM
When did he call her an ape??

No way to prove it now, the admins. deleted the posts. ;)

I wish they would just delete his 50th user name on this board instead.

Seriously, what does it take for someone to get banned around here?? Do they have the threaten the admins. themselves??

Knizzle
Oct 4th, 2003, 07:11 AM
No way to prove it now, the admins. deleted the posts. ;)

But that means you can still report him and have him banned. They can still see his posts because they are admin.

Venus Forever
Oct 4th, 2003, 07:12 AM
But that means you can still report him and have him banned. They can still see his posts because they are admin.

The admins. deleted the posts, not the poster himself.

I'm surprised they didn't get rid of him, along with the posts. :o

Chance
Oct 4th, 2003, 07:21 AM
the admins do ban these MF but they keep changing their IPs

skanky~skanketta
Oct 4th, 2003, 07:29 AM
nope. i call stepanek ugly all the time and he's white.

WtaTour4Ever
Oct 4th, 2003, 07:30 AM
i agree on stepanek.......very odd lookin fella

CamilleVidann
Oct 4th, 2003, 07:41 AM
No, it's not racism at all. As long as your taste of beauty isn't based on skin colors, it's not and you can call anyone of any color ugly. I think Venus used to be quite ugly and now she looks a bit better with more stylish hair and fixed teeth.

JLDementieva
Oct 4th, 2003, 07:51 AM
No!!! If that's the case it would be racist if we called just anyone ugly, regardless of what race they are!

DunkMachine
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:21 AM
This thread is pointless

Dava
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But going as far as to say shes ugly is cruel and unessasry

persond
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:29 AM
In all likelihood, the author of this thread is an "ugly ass" as well...!!! Call it what the phuck you want...!!! And, the ugliness of your heart and soul that you've shown on this board is "to the bone"...!!! :angel: :angel:

RYNJ
Oct 4th, 2003, 09:10 AM
im a fan of Venus.

When Venus was little she was VERY UGLY!

Now shes a goddess....

MartinaI
Oct 4th, 2003, 09:29 AM
No it's not racist, it's just a persoanl opinion. Personally I don't find her very attractive but I think Serena is, so is Halle Berry, Angela Bassett etc. Venus's beauty is very indicidual and unique, it is not classic that is why it can be seen as an aquired taste, but I do see that.

I am white but I think Eddie Murphy and Wesley Snips are drop dead gorgeous.

Jen'sFan
Oct 4th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Course it aint racist....the problem is if anyone says anything bad against them its automatically classed as racist. I think Serena is attractive but i dont think Venus is really. She's ok of course.

anton
Oct 4th, 2003, 10:46 AM
monsters, one day soon you will see how pointless all your kindergarden threads are...

until then God bless....

Martian Willow
Oct 4th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Seriously, what does it take for someone to get banned around here??

...just being funny, if Jordan., Leena and AllyBakerFanClub are anything to go by... :)

anton
Oct 4th, 2003, 12:22 PM
i dont think you can talk about leena without getting edited...

Gowza
Oct 4th, 2003, 12:51 PM
just cause someone says something bad about a person doesn't mean they are being racist. you can't win, if you're racist people slam you and look down on you. and if you're not racist then what you say is taken out of context because since you treat evereyone as equals you say stuff that can be taken out of context for example saying venus is ugly. as soon as a person says soomething bad about another person they are considered racist when in actual fact they could be treating them as equals. with this particular example beauty is in the eye of the beholder so a person could say venus is ugly but they could also think coetzer is ugly. the problem is not often can someone voice their whole opinion (for example they only say what they think about venus so nobody knows what they think about coetzer). and the part of their opinion they voiced can then be taken out of context. there are also times when people just disregard part of someones opinion and focus on one side of it and they pull it apart, criticise it and sometimes put it in the wrong context.

it's a complicated issue that is hard and confusing to explain in writing.

personally i wouldn't take it as racism.

*JR*
Oct 4th, 2003, 12:56 PM
There actually IS a way to ban such posters even if they have dynamic, not static, IP addresses. Am I gonna tell the Admin's how? Like hell I am, because they ignored serious, good faith attempts by me to "open a dialogue" about sources of revenue other than the (unblockable) gambling ad; (even when submitted on the fancy form that talks about their trying to reply in 2 or 3 days).

Sam L
Oct 4th, 2003, 12:57 PM
There actually IS a way to ban such posters even if they have dynamic, not static, IP addresses. Am I gonna tell the Admin's how? Like hell I am, because they ignored serious, good faith attempts by me to "open a dialogue" about sources of revenue other than the (unblockable) gambling ad; (even when submitted on the fancy form that talks about their trying to reply in 2 or 3 days).
Boy, you seem like you know a lot about the Internet and message boards. ;)

Martian Willow
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:00 PM

...considering how ban-happy the Admins are round here (see previous post) I'm not sure I'd want them to know... :)

*JR*
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Boy, you seem like you know a lot about the Internet and message boards. ;)
As the Beatles once sang: "...like the FBI...and the CIA...BB King"! (And I have NO fucking idea why John wrote him into that line)! :lol:

anton
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:08 PM
banning people would cut down on the pop up ad money...

TonyP
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:20 PM
While I believe beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I would say calling Venus ugly simply isn't true and that has nothing to do with race. I do not think she is any raving beauty, but she is attractive. She certainly is NOT ugly. But you can find her not attractive and still not be a racist.

Personally, I dislike calling any woman ugly. I find that to be a needless insult.

Ukari
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:42 PM
what about kim and justine and all those Italians players.
They're all ugly apes and you only talk of Venus who looks far better than them? It goes to show the smallness and the midget mind of the ugly racist. Take that.

G_Slammed
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Of course it's racism, coming from the likes of you good ole boys and gals.

*JR*
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:51 PM
They're all ugly apes and you only talk of Venus who looks far better than them? It goes to show the smallness and the midget mind of the ugly racist. Take that.
You only give those with malice the sick satisfaction they crave by saying in effect: "two can play the same game". For the record, I'm white (and sad that there are even threads like this where ppl would care; UNLIKE the very intelligent "Ask Black People Anything" thread in Non-Tennis, where being so "ID'd" goes with the flow quite comfortably). And I find Serena (along with Rita Grande of ITA) extremely attractive! :drool:

anton
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:54 PM
I think a lot of people are jealous of Venus and Serena because these two sisters are doing things for themselves and they are not cooking in somebody's kitchen.

This is 2003 so get over it!!!

locks
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Justine, and Kim are drop dead ulgly :tape:

Venus :hearts:

Kart
Oct 4th, 2003, 02:01 PM

It's not racist but it is rude and probably offensive to her fans.

Of course, only someone with an ugly personality would make a comment like that.

Kart
Oct 4th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Oh and also calling Venus ugly is just wrong as well, she is :hearts:.

anton
Oct 4th, 2003, 02:05 PM
http://www.venustennis.com/wsispink.jpg
This is one of my fav Williams pics~!!

GO VENUS~~~
!!

Monsters, Jesus died for you :wavey:

tennisjam
Oct 4th, 2003, 02:07 PM
People please, this is really pointless... :o

...not talkink about this thread but..

...I'm not for the sort of "politically correct" behaviour... :rolleyes: usually, it stinks...

...in general, everyone should be given the opportunity to give his/her point of view motivated by his/her own taughts at his/her own expences...just as long as nobody is hurt...

and if something bothers you, just ignore...

anton
Oct 4th, 2003, 02:09 PM
here is another one:
http://www.venustennis.com/of2.jpg

:wavey:

tennisjam
Oct 4th, 2003, 02:11 PM
for this thread now... ;)

to me, Venus has a great appeal, more than Serena and Serena is still much prettier than Justine...

anton
Oct 4th, 2003, 02:13 PM
monsters pray=good idea

GoGoMaggie
Oct 4th, 2003, 02:26 PM
for this thread now... ;)

to me, Venus has a great appeal, more than Serena and Serena is still much prettier than Justine...

Venus isn't the only one who has been called ugly on this board. There's plenty of other players who have been called ugly. I have read many posts where Justine was called ugly by Williams fans. Of course it's not nice to call someone ugly but just because your fav is called ugly, I don't see why you have to get so pissed and retaliate.

DunkMachine
Oct 4th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Venus isn't the only one who has been called ugly on this board. There's plenty of other players who have been called ugly. I have read many posts where Justine was called ugly by Williams fans. Of course it's not nice to call someone ugly but just because your fav is called ugly, I don't see why you have to get so pissed and retaliate.
:drink: <- Gogomaggie

Seriously you've allways been first in line to tell every williamsfan how ugly you think they are. Don't go about lying that you were forced to say these things as if YOU were the victim.

Venus Forever
Oct 4th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Everybody is totally missing the point.

He called Venus an APE. The admins. then deleted those posts.

That's what he was called out as a racist.

It had NOTHING to do with her being called ugly.

Read the posts people, read the posts. :rolleyes:

*JR*
Oct 4th, 2003, 05:28 PM
monsters pray=good idea
Except that monsters probably worship :devil: 's!

CamilleVidann
Oct 4th, 2003, 05:31 PM
When I was a Jr. high school student, I was nicknamed "ass-monkey" just because my face was monkey like. the whole school was calling me that way. Does that make everyone in my school racist? I think not.....

Allez Joosteen
Oct 4th, 2003, 05:47 PM

The basic idea that you don't find Venus attractive is not racist. It's all a matter of opinion cos there might be people who find Anna Kournikova just as ugly as Venus.

Where it would be racist to call Venus ugly is if all your life the concept of beauty has been presented as being someone with fair skin, fair hair and light eyes. If that's how you've been conditioned, then most likely you're going to find Venus attractive. It's not racist per se in that you hate Venus for being black but the racism in this situation is indicative of the reality of what you've been told is "beautiful".

Hendouble
Oct 4th, 2003, 05:55 PM
At the end of the day, none of the top female players are especially attractive - their job is to play tennis, and to play it well, not to become pin-ups. When she's hot and bothered in the middle of a match, I do find that Venus looks incredibly old, like she's 53 rather than 23, but if horrendously outsized Pat Butcher-style earrings float your boat that's your choice. I would feel rather sorry for you, though.

TM
Oct 4th, 2003, 06:48 PM
As an obsessed Venus fan i can admit that she doesn't have a prettier face than Serena and that yes she may look just a little bit goat-like from what my friend told me after seeing a characature from an old TENNIS magazine. It doesn't stop her from being the best. Tennis players are basically ZOMBIES! not Venus and Serena. They have other hobbies and they are happy with their lives.

Calling Venus ugly does NOT equal racism. My fave quote from a friend of mine.

``It doesn't matter if one doesn't like the Williams sisters..that doesn't make them racist...that's like saying I don't like Mcdonalds soo I hate Fast Food!"

VS Fan
Oct 4th, 2003, 07:09 PM
I think the comment that Venus is "ugly" is likely steeped in either racism or ignorance.

People that find ALL black people "ugly" will surely find Venus "ugly"

Ethnocentricity will also cause one to consider the people in their own group more attractive. This is an example of "ignorance" or a lack of exposure to other groups of people.

This would be equivalant to saying Anna Kornakova or Barbara Shett is "ugly".

Venus is FAR from "ugly", although not as attractive as other black women. Beyonce, Halle, Serena, Tyra, and many others.

Venus has model lines and while rather tall, compared to the 5-10 ideal, she could easily be a star model. She has the stoic appearance for this role.

Venus and "ugly" does NOT belong in the same sentence, although it apears here!

locks
Oct 4th, 2003, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=VS Fan]I think the comment that Venus is "ugly" is likely steeped in either racism or ignorance.
Venus is FAR from "ugly", although not as attractive as other black women. Beyonce, Halle, Serena, Tyra, and many others.

I wouldn't put Serena up there with B, Halle and Tyra. Anyway...2 out of the 3 are light blacks, they don't repsent most black women.

*JR*
Oct 4th, 2003, 07:35 PM
As an obsessed Venus fan i can admit that she doesn't have a prettier face than Serena and that yes she may look just a little bit goat-like from what my friend told me after seeing a characature from an old TENNIS magazine. It doesn't stop her from being the best. Tennis players are basically ZOMBIES! not Venus and Serena. They have other hobbies and they are happy with their lives.

Calling Venus ugly does NOT equal racism. My fave quote from a friend of mine.

It doesn't matter if one doesn't like the Williams sisters..that doesn't make them racist...that's like saying I don't like Mcdonalds soo I hate Fast Food!" As long as nobody calls Denisa ugly, specially with her punkdyke 'do! :D BTW, Trish and Becca are gonna meet in a steel cage match in the hometown ya'll share! :devil:

tennisjam
Oct 4th, 2003, 07:41 PM
I'm so surprised many of you find Serena more attractive than Venus :eek:

to me, Venus has more charisma and is more attractive too...

Monsters
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:11 PM

oh that's okay......i just find them both ugly.....no racism intended of course:)
anyways, i think they have the same shades of blackness on the skin,
but Halle is less shade on her black skin, so are they the same race or not,
since i'm not black, so i'm not sure,can someone explain that to me plz? thx:)

Jen'sFan
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Serena is very pretty i think.

TM
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:18 PM
As long as nobody calls Denisa ugly, specially with her punkdyke 'do! :D BTW, Trish and Becca are gonna meet in a steel cage match in the hometown ya'll share! :devil:

Can't touch my Denisa :)

and

WOOOO...! :devil: :fiery: :devil:

VS Fan
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Locks:

Well lets add Iman, Lola Falana, Jayne Kennedy, Vivica Fox, Whitney, Vanessa, Naomi, Zina Garrison,
Eve, Toni Braxton, Ashanti, etc.
Hell, make a list, I just scratched the surface.

Serena makes the list through sex appeal and personality, Venus is more stoic, and would make a great model, although a little tall compared to the norm.

locks
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Are you saying that all of them look better than Venus b/c they all look better than Serena also.

Serena is not on the same level as these ladies in the looks department. Venus and Serean look like your Average blacks girls. Nothing special....

VS Fan
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Locks:

If Venus and Serena are "average" in the looks department of black women in general, then BLACK women MUST be ON AVERAGE TEN time more attractive than the average woman of other ethinic heritage!

You have obviously never been to a shopping mall where many black women are present. In my opinion Venus and Serena EASILY would fit in the TOP ten percent of black women, and perhaps ALL women, in the department of attractiveness.

Oh, by the way, I am a white male and appreciate beautiful black women, regardless of skin tone.

Most whites seem to consider only "light-skined" examples as a pretty woman. Maybe this will change in time.

Knizzle
Oct 4th, 2003, 09:00 PM

to me, Venus has more charisma and is more attractive too...

Serena has a slightly prettier face than Venus, but not by much. They both have exceptional bodies. Venus though sometimes the way she carries herself makes her look better than Serena. I like this picture. Venus looks like she is royalty looking across the net at her imtimidated opponent.

Knizzle
Oct 4th, 2003, 09:06 PM
Locks:

If Venus and Serena are "average" in the looks department of black women in general, then BLACK women MUST be ON AVERAGE TEN time more attractive than the average woman of other ethinic heritage!

You have obviously never been to a shopping mall where many black women are present. In my opinion Venus and Serena EASILY would fit in the TOP ten percent of black women, and perhaps ALL women, in the department of attractiveness.

Oh, by the way, I am a white male and appreciate beautiful black women, regardless of skin tone.

Most whites seem to consider only "light-skined" examples as a pretty woman. Maybe this will change in time.

What I think he meant is that you see girls on the street all the time who are just as or more attractive than the sisters. The sisters are beautiful, but they are not standouts as far as black women are concerned. I think V and S's attitudes make them so VERY attractive, especially Venus. We are fans so we see how they act and how talented they are and that makes them more physically attractive. It's because we are wonderfully made by God. Someone who you may just see a picture of may not be so attractive to you, but when you see them in person and get to know their spirit and how they carry themselves makes them look 100% better.

tennischick
Oct 4th, 2003, 11:21 PM
Venus is "ordinary" in my opinion. she is not ugly but she's no raving beauty either. with the help of mucho make-up and an occasionally brilliant weave job she can be made to look half-decent. i question her fashion sense at times (those horrific earrings, ugh) but that does not make her ugly. few people in this world are actually ugly IMO.

locks
Oct 5th, 2003, 12:17 AM
Tennischick

you want to go there with Venus.. Guess you don't recall the buckshots coming from serena's head at the FO 2002. Venus' bad weave aint got nothing on that mess.

sartrista7
Oct 5th, 2003, 12:20 AM
I will never, ever understand why the majority seem to prefer Serena over Venus. Venus has the edge in pretty much every important area - elegance*, comportment**, eyes, complexion***, grace, style, hair, cheekbones.

*not that it is hard to outdo Serena in this particular area.
**or this.
**or indeed this.

Venus wins :D

Ryan
Oct 5th, 2003, 12:39 AM
I never think about this, but I think Venus is more attractive. I like Serena's face marginally more, but Venus' overall body is better I guess. This is hard though because for me because it's like comparing broccoli to brussel sprouts. Or, in terms of beauty: Kylie Minogue to Kelly Osbourne.

Rub
Oct 5th, 2003, 01:07 AM

you are either BLIND or PERVERT!? :fiery:
kim and justine, ugly!??? :lol:

you just ate your words, racist!!! It just goes to show that YOU have the smallness and the midget mind of the ugly racist.

Infiniti2001
Oct 5th, 2003, 01:16 AM
I will never, ever understand why the majority seem to prefer Serena over Venus. Venus has the edge in pretty much every important area - elegance*, comportment**, eyes, complexion***, grace, style, hair, cheekbones.

*not that it is hard to outdo Serena in this particular area.
**or this.
**or indeed this.

Venus wins :D

:worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :wavey:

G_Slammed
Oct 5th, 2003, 01:33 AM
Look whitefolk.. just put the sisters on the block naked, and inspect them.. that's what you want in the first place.

Knizzle
Oct 5th, 2003, 01:57 AM
Look whitefolk.. just put the sisters on the block naked, and inspect them.. that's what you want in the first place.

Profound statement.

Rothes
Oct 5th, 2003, 02:26 AM
It's all about perception, what maybe gergous to someone may be hideously ugly to another.

Lets say if we called Venus "Unnatractive"=Statment/Opinion
Lets say if we called Venus "Disgustingly Ugly/Vulgar"=Statment/Opinion but much more emphasis thus to the normal person would percept it as an insult.
Lets say if we called Venus "A Disgustingly Dirty Street Rat N****R/Coloured/Black/Swart/Kaffir, then where dealing with pure racism.

Ryan
Oct 5th, 2003, 02:29 AM

Bite me you fucking prick. It's called an opinion, and we're allowed to express it. Take your racism delusions and shove them up your ass.

Venus Forever
Oct 5th, 2003, 02:31 AM
CLASS, people, CLASS!!

:rolleyes:

Seriously, how old are we that we have to call people by profanity? :o

Rothes
Oct 5th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Look whitefolk

I don't think thats fair at all, People here and groups are accused of Racism by your "bunch" of posters, yet you also exploit the terminology, it's hypocritical and contradictory and theres no excuse to it. People in Glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

CamilleVidann
Oct 5th, 2003, 02:43 AM
To sum up everyone's opinion here, Serena is better looking then Venus and Venus' face is average for a black woman and calling her ugly makes some sense and can be justified because beauty is in the eye of the beholder plus you have the likes of Hall Berrys thus it's not remotely racist to call Venus ugly. It's not a class act, though.

dreamgoddess099
Oct 5th, 2003, 04:44 AM
Halle Berry has white features because she has a white mother. Most people see her as pretty because of those white features. She represents the eurosentric ideal of beauty that is so commonly used as the measurement of beauty thoughout the world. No matter what race is being judged. But let me ask a question to those of you who find Venus unattractive. What features do you not like about her face, and in your opinion, what features do you think she would need to change in order to be more attactive to you? I'm sure a good bit of you would say she needs a smaller nose, smaller lips, or some other eurosentric feature. Therein lies the problem. So many times people of a certain race are judged by characteristics of another race. Characteristics that the majority of a certain race don't meet simply because they were not designed to. God designed all races to be beautiful. Some of you would do good to learn to appreciate the beauty in the features of all races of people on this earth and not have a little box that you have to classify everybodies beauty into. Also, I'm sure is you guys caught a glimpse of some of the women you consider to be so gorgeous in the morning( before they put on all of the make-up and get there hair done by their stylists) I'm sure you'd be surprised at how average a lot of them look. Female athletes get unfairly compared to this women. Put any of those ladies in Hollywood on a tennis court with no make-up, sweat puring down their face, nostrils flaring, breathing hard, and with a camera zoomed right in on their face. Then you probably wouldn't think they were very attractive at all. But then again, neither are the male athletes in the heat of battle, but no one seems to care how unattractive they are looking during the game.