PDA

View Full Version : Withdrawal from tournaments

Knizzle
Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:15 PM
The Williams sisters are entered in Zurich and I'm thinking they are not going to play, but they haven't pulled out. I bet they will pull out on Monday of next week just like Venus did this week for Filderstadt and both Venus and Davy for Moscow(in the middle of the week). Do you think their waiting to pull out is to avoid investigation of their injuries by the WTA?? I guess they can't pull out due to bereavement, but I don't know the WTA's rules about that. Can anyone shed light on this situation.

Monsters
Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:18 PM
just when will they be fined.......
not that i'm not sensitive or anything.....

Ballbuster
Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:20 PM
just when will they be fined.......
not that i'm not sensitive or anything.....

They are exempt. They don't get fines. They get BEGGED to appear in tourneys.

Monsters
Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:25 PM
They are exempt. They don't get fines. They get BEGGED to appear in tourneys.
i believe from the WTA handbook......
gold exempt players are fined more...expecially for the TOP ones,
and who are the top gold exempt players?...you got it....
they are celebrity after all, arent they supposed
to be setting up good examples.......of course they are no Anna, but still:rolleyes:

DannerCal
Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:08 PM
They get fined if it is not a medical injury. Since they both have injuries they can keep using that. The WTA has the right to ask for a note from the doctor. I don't think just bec you are gold exempt you get that much grace :)

Kart
Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:29 PM
I guess they can't pull out due to bereavement, but I don't know the WTA's rules about that. Can anyone shed light on this situation.

I was wondering that as well. One would think that they could seek a withdrawal on compassionate grounds and the WTA could not be that insensitive as to fine them.

However, seeing that Venus cited her injury as the cause of her most recent withdrawal I do wonder.

Venus Forever
Oct 4th, 2003, 12:02 AM
The WTA is not going to fine them, especially after a tragedy.

It would only risk the sisters not coming back in the future, which would DEFINITELY HURT the tour, and I'm sure that they don't want that.

So, don't look for any fines to be instituted.

tennnisfannn
Oct 4th, 2003, 04:01 AM
I always thought fines were imposed depending on how late a withdrawal was. How much do fines mean for the top players anyway. If they chose to play they would defintely make more than the fine itself, by forgoing tournys they choose to lose alot more.

Brian Stewart
Oct 4th, 2003, 05:28 AM
The big distinction is: when are the withdrawals made, and when are they announced? Just because a tournament makes a public announcement on, say, a Thursday or a Friday, doesn't mean the player didn't withdraw days earlier.

Both sisters face a double-pronged obstacle. They have injuries, which need to be rehabbed. However, they have recently been through a family tragedy, which could understandably cut into that rehab time, and push the timetable back a bit.

persond
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:22 AM
I checked the "entry list" on the SwissCom-Challenge web site, and neither Sister is listed. When and where have they committed to this event???