PDA

View Full Version : Smart Pistolesi

joao
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:42 PM
I've just noticed that Pistolesi (formerly known as Smashnova) is back in the top20 ... and has a good chance of staying there for the rest of the season with her good results in Moscow, which would mean that she would be top20 for the 2nd year in a row.

So my question is : how does she do it? Really? Pistolesi doesn't strike me as a good tennis player ... well I mean ... she doesn't have a real weapon (besides her tenacity and fitness) to harm anybody in the top 20 ... and yet ... there she is ... top 20 and still climbing! She was #21 coming to Moscow so it's not like her top20 ranking is only due to this week's results. She would have gotten there anyway ...

I think Pistolesi is actually smarter than good ... at playing tennis! My point is among the top20 players, Pistolesi is the one who plays the most in small tournaments ...... and has the best results. I really think it's a good move! Pistolesi focuses her energy in smaller tourneys (Tier III-IV), which she wins (4 titles last year, 2 this year) and help her stay on top ... I think Pistolesi is really smart! She knows her abilities and tries to get the best out of them! And she's doing a real job!

Having said that ... thumbs up to her for doing so well in a TierI, indoors. I know she had done well last year in Berlin but that was clay ... if she reaches the finals by beating Myskina (and she has a good chance), this would be her best result so far! Am i right?

Dokic#1
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:47 PM
Im not sure she has such a good chance against Myskina..Myskina is coming of a win in Germany, so she is extremely confident and has been destroying all of her opponents in less then an hour..

Pistolesi is a good or smart player..she has the ability to run every shot done and also to hit winners...if you ask me she is a major counter-puncher...and her success mostly comes from the mistakes of her opponents.

Keith
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:47 PM
She certainly is smart at protecting her ranking, but other that, she has no major weapons other than irritation.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:50 PM
and it helps the courts in Moscow are slower than the clay :rolleyes:
courts this year are really pathetically slow.

tenn_ace
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:51 PM
I actually do think she has an excellent chace against Nastya, who is still playing her doubles match (begininning of the third set) and it's almost 10pm in Moscow... so I'm not sure whether she''' be able to run for 3 sets against Pistolesi (who is fresh and never gives up with the way she plays: lobs, running every ball down)

mishar
Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:14 PM
Anna is most certainly a good player. She's no grand slam contender, but she is a shot-maker, along with being incredibly consistent and incredibly fast. If you've ever played against a good counterpuncher, you know they do more than just get the ball back. They put a lot of spin on the ball, different spins often, and frustrate players who like to hit the ball flat and hard. Anna has a great backhand with a lot of range and variety. And at every level of tennis consistency is just a huge virtue. She makes some incredible gets and almost never misses a ball, and I'd imagine it's very exhausting to play her.
She has wins over Dokic (when she was ok), Clijsters, Henin, all the top Russian players and many other good players, so it's not just a question of winning lower-tiered tournaments.
Also the "tenacity" you mention -- that is the key for any player. There are many talented and fit players in the WTA, but mental toughness is what distinguishes a top 20 player from the rest.

Having said that, a top player who can really control the point off her serve or return should beat Pistolesi fairly easily on a fast surface.

p.s. you say that she "focuses her energy" on Tier III and IV tournaments. In fact, she's only played 5 tier 3-5 tournaments this year out of 24 total tournaments. Compared to others in the 10-20 range? petrova played 3 so far, Vera Z. played 6, Conchita 4, Suarez 6, Schnyder 4. So Anna's scheduling is not so different.

joao
Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:50 PM
Don't be sorry for expressing your feeling about Pistolesi. It's ok!
I just don't think she is good enough to be top20 ... she's a very good defensive player, I'll give you that but playing only defense shouldn't be enough to be ranked that high ... not nowadays with the kinda of game tennis players are playing! But the fact is that Pistolesi is top 20 ... again! That's something that surprises me!

When I say "she focuses her energy" in smaller tournaments, I didn't mean she only plays small tournaments. She actually participates in a lot more higher tier tournaments than in smaller ... but she seems to do a lot better in those smaller tournaments against the same type of players! She has losses against players in big tournaments she shouldn't have had ...... hence the focus part!

And I don't think she is "incredibly" consistent ... a consistent player doesn't fluctuates in the rankings like she does. Or loses to lower ranked players as many times as she does ...

DA FOREHAND
Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:56 PM
Don't be sorry for expressing your feeling about Pistolesi. It's ok!
I just don't think she is good enough to be top20 ... she's a very good defensive player, I'll give you that but playing only defense shouldn't be enough to be ranked that high ... not nowadays with the kinda of game tennis players are playing! But the fact is that Pistolesi is top 20 ... again! That's something that surprises me!

When I say "she focuses her energy" in smaller tournaments, I didn't mean she only plays small tournaments. She actually participates in a lot more higher tier tournaments than in smaller ... but she seems to do a lot better in those smaller tournaments against the same type of players! She has losses against players in big tournaments she shouldn't have had ...... hence the focus part!

And I don't think she is "incredibly" consistent ... a consistent player doesn't fluctuates in the rankings like she does. Or loses to lower ranked players as many times as she does ...

Kim is much more defense than offense, and she's "ranked" number one!

mishar
Oct 3rd, 2003, 07:10 PM
I meant "incredibly" consistent in terms of a rally or a point, that she makes very few unforced errors.

joao
Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:58 PM
Kim is much more defense than offense, and she's "ranked" number one!

There's a big difference my friend : Kim is defense and offense while Pistolesi is all defense and no offense at all ... Kim can dictate points when she has her mind into it ... Pistolesi can't ...