PDA

View Full Version : Filderstadt Wildcards

S-T-E-V-E
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:01 PM
Wildcards go to Anna-Lena Grönefeld, Anna Pistolesi and Mary Pierce.

Quali:

Anca Barna - Barbara Rittner

christo
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:03 PM
Great!!! Go Mary!!!!

AjdeNate!
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:03 PM
Allez Mah-ree!!

Frau Antje
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:05 PM
Pistolesi :eek: pffff why that?

Tompier
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:08 PM

:lol: :devil:

ChrisGermany
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:09 PM
Pistolesi might be to improve the quality of the field. To have ... out of the top25 sounds better than giving the 3rd WC for example to Danilidou or Likhovtseva or whoever near the top30. Pistolesi will be top16 with what she achieves in Moscow this week. It does not count for the seeds of this event at all but if you present Anna Pistolesi next week and she´s 16 in the world at that time, it sounds good.

S-T-E-V-E
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:09 PM

Because she is in the semifinal of Moscow I think...

Tompier
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:11 PM
Mary Mary Mary
:bounce: That"s Great News :bounce:
:wavey: Thank"s :wavey:

ChrisGermany
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:11 PM
I doubt we should have a discussion on the 3rd WC again this time.

I think what some forget is the fact that Barna gets points in qualifying and if she needs those for the Olympics, it´s great getting them in qualifying as well compared to the fact that she might face the same opponent being a qualifier or a WC-entry. Imagine her playing Schnyder or Bovina in round1 and then she goes out in round1. She gets 1 points instead of 25 or whatever for qualifying.

She needs points more than Anna-Lena and as Anna-Lena can "live" with one point if going out in round1, Anca needs more than just the prestige of being directly into the main draw.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:14 PM
:rolleyes: at giving Anna P a WC
Anca should have got it :mad:

tarah
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:21 PM
Mary :)
Rittner :)

Wojtek
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:32 PM
Anna P. :confused:

ChrisGermany
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:49 PM
I expressed my opinion about that :)

Anca can get more points if being successful in qualifying. If she´s so keen on climbing the rankings and reaching the Olympics she should stop argueing about Leipzig and can demonstrate now that this was wrong. The depth in this 2 German events is definetly not comparable.

If going deep into the Leipzig event, she would have been near the top40 and the results for Vento Kleinova and Callens demonstrated that this event was weak. Filderstadt is overcrowded with stars and for Anca it´s wiser to make at least 25 points or so in qualifying first as if being put against a top15 player like, say, Maleeva and just get 1 point. It´s not AGAINST Anca THIS TIME but FOR her.

NicoMary
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:55 PM
:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: Mary :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Mary IS JUST THE BEST!!!!!!!!!! :hearts: :hearts: :kiss: :)

ghosts
Oct 3rd, 2003, 07:08 PM
Pistolesi :mad: :armed:

*JR*
Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:46 PM
I expressed my opinion about that :)

Anca can get more points if being successful in qualifying. If she´s so keen on climbing the rankings and reaching the Olympics she should stop argueing about Leipzig and can demonstrate now that this was wrong. The depth in this 2 German events is definetly not comparable.

If going deep into the Leipzig event, she would have been near the top40 and the results for Vento Kleinova and Callens demonstrated that this event was weak. Filderstadt is overcrowded with stars and for Anca it´s wiser to make at least 25 points or so in qualifying first as if being put against a top15 player like, say, Maleeva and just get 1 point. It´s not AGAINST Anca THIS TIME but FOR her.
Chris, I understand your point about Anca benefitting more pointwise playing the qualies. But IMO, the DTB should have "stepped up to the plate" and admitted that this daughter of 2 engineers got told re. Leipzig basically: "Go Back to Romania", gotten her some "compensatory points" (and $ from that tournament's owners) along with a MD wildcard for Filderstadt. Why the fuck should she even WANT to play in the Olympics for a country that treated her this way? Ironically, the Barna's emigrated to GER for human dignity. This treatment is the equivilant of racism by "Anke & Friends" AND "tennis rape" by Lei Clijsters! :mad:

GoDominique
Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:28 PM
Not happy at all with this. :rolleyes: Just not OK that ALG gets 2 WC's and Anca none. Anna P. :confused:

Chris, I agree that Anca has better chances in qualifying than in MD, and that ALG might be without chance in MD. But the problem is that this wasn't the reason for the organizers not to give Anca a WC. It was because because they didn't WANT to give her one, as in their opinion ALG is more deserving it. That Anca might benefit from this doesn't change the fact that she was robbed again. It was about the GESTURE to give her one.
And didn't Anke say before Leipzig "Right now I don't see a German player deserving a WC for Filderstadt". So obviously ALG's performance at Leipzig changed her opinion. But was it THAT impressive ? Beating a slumping and bored player (Schett) and taking a set off Petrova who isn't in top-form is not enough IMO. Didn't Anca do the same last year in Leipzig by qualifying, reaching the 2nd round and taking a set off Serena ? But that wasn't enough for a WC ? :rolleyes:

Obviously coming-up at the age of 25 is considered less than doing the same at 18. People say "Anca is old and won't win any big tourneys, so let's put everything into our only prospect". That's typical German mentality IMO. Instead of supporting and working with the decent player material we are currently having (=Anca being almost top 50), we ignore it and put our hopes on a player who is promising but might never reach the top 50 because you never know what will happen in the future, just because everything below alleged top-10 material isn't worth a shit anyway. :mad:

I'm not saying that ALG should be ignored, but they should get equal support. And this isn't equal at all.

Smart
Oct 4th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Go Anna-Lena!

JackFrost
Oct 4th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Not happy at all with this. :rolleyes: Just not OK that ALG gets 2 WC's and Anca none. Anna P. :confused:

Chris, I agree that Anca has better chances in qualifying than in MD, and that ALG might be without chance in MD. But the problem is that this wasn't the reason for the organizers not to give Anca a WC. It was because because they didn't WANT to give her one, as in their opinion ALG is more deserving it. That Anca might benefit from this doesn't change the fact that she was robbed again. It was about the GESTURE to give her one.
And didn't Anke say before Leipzig "Right now I don't see a German player deserving a WC for Filderstadt". So obviously ALG's performance at Leipzig changed her opinion. But was it THAT impressive ? Beating a slumping and bored player (Schett) and taking a set off Petrova who isn't in top-form is not enough IMO. Didn't Anca do the same last year in Leipzig by qualifying, reaching the 2nd round and taking a set off Serena ? But that wasn't enough for a WC ? :rolleyes:

Obviously coming-up at the age of 25 is considered less than doing the same at 18. People say "Anca is old and won't win any big tourneys, so let's put everything into our only prospect". That's typical German mentality IMO. Instead of supporting and working with the decent player material we are currently having (=Anca being almost top 50), we ignore it and put our hopes on a player who is promising but might never reach the top 50 because you never know what will happen in the future, just because everything below alleged top-10 material isn't worth a shit anyway. :mad:

I'm not saying that ALG should be ignored, but they should get equal support. And this isn't equal at all.

I´ve got the same thought for myself. I´ve really got nothing against Anna-Lena and it isn´t her fault....but that "Anna-Lena is our messias and the others are dirt" mentality is indeed annoying.

BB
Oct 4th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Pistolesi? oh no!

matthias
Oct 4th, 2003, 11:45 AM
i agree with GoDom
but the worst is we can not do anything against

*JR*
Oct 4th, 2003, 12:11 PM

I'm not saying that ALG should be ignored, but they should get equal support. And this isn't equal at all. Right conclsion. Right reason in the top half of your post. Wrong reason in the bottom. Based on future prospects, ALG deserved one. Based on justice alone, so did Anca. So the gutless bitch Anke uses the copout of giving one to a non-controversial "ova-achiever" who (like Babsi) will almost surely call it a career after the '04 (Olympic) season; to avoid embarrassing the SOB's who run Leipzig. (And was she "advising" them)?

Steff_forever
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:24 PM
let's see what Anca can do in the qualies against Babsi ;)

nave 2
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:25 PM
yes Pistolesi!!.

Steff_forever
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Wer hat eigentlich den Quatsch mit dem Rumänien-Rassismus ins Spiel gebracht ?
Das find ich ziemlich übel !
Anca eine WC zu verweigern wird sofort mit Rassismus gleichgesetz. Ihr habt doch nen Knall !
Sowohl Anca Barna als auch ALG sind unsere Hoffnungen für die nächsten Jahre. Aber es ist einfach Scheiße sie gegeneinander auszuspielen.

The WC for Anna-Pistolesi is ok as well as the 2nd for ALG.
giving the 3rd to Mary is obscure to me. She's got a big name but she hasn't still improved despite all the WCs ...

Come-on-kim
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Anna-Lena is the future of German tennis!

Piotrek
Oct 4th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Good Luck Mary !!!!