PDA

View Full Version : Filderstadt Wildcards

S-T-E-V-E
Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:00 PM
I just read that the three wildcards will go to Anna-Lena Grönefeld, Anna Pistolesi and Mary Pierce!

German No 1 Anca Barna will play qualifing and 1 quali match starts against Barbara Rittner.

GermanBoy
Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:30 PM
Pistolesi? :confused: They should have given the third WC either to Barna or to Rittner.

GermanBoy
Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:45 PM
:help:
Is Anna just another friend of Anke?

As far as I know Pistolesi is no special friend of Huber. It`s okay to give the WC to Pistolesi because she played well at Moscow or because she just missed the cut to be directly qualified for the tournament. Pistolesi is not a bad player.

What I don`t understand is the fact that German tournament organizers don`t support German players. The more German players get the chance to play in a strong field the more they learn, the more they benefit. To play qualification is another thing.

I think the problem is that German players lose matches versus strong or high ranked opponents because they don`t get the chance to practise that. They don`t learn because they don`t get the chance and then all complain about German players losing early in Grand Slams etc.

JackFrost
Oct 3rd, 2003, 07:28 PM
I just read that the three wildcards will go to Anna-Lena Grönefeld, Anna Pistolesi and Mary Pierce!

German No 1 Anca Barna will play qualifing and 1 quali match starts against Barbara Rittner.

Where did you read that? I don´t read anything on the Filderstadt-Page.

arcus
Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:23 PM
The brits were criticised for favoring their own players with wild cards, as some think that it takes away an incentive from a player to work harder and make main draws.

Maybe the german federation feel the same.

Personally I think the WCs have to be all about draw potential, as the tournaments are a business and need to please the punters, and not be distributed on national lines. would a german audience prefer to see barna or kournikova or seles? I amnot sure, but i think the latter two....

But of course that has to apply to all tournaments equally.

Monsters
Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:27 PM
it's good that Germans are giving WC's to the Jews:)

arcus
Oct 4th, 2003, 12:05 AM
does anyone know if Lisa Raymond is playing?

GoDominique
Oct 4th, 2003, 12:43 AM
I will just post what I wrote in Filderstadt forum :p

Not happy at all with this. :( Just not OK that ALG gets 2 WC's and Anca none.
Anna P. :confused:

Chris, I agree that Anca has better chances in qualifying than in MD, and that ALG might be without chance in MD. But the problem is that this wasn't the reason for the organizers not to give Anca a WC. It was because because they didn't WANT to give her one, as in their opinion ALG is more deserving it. That Anca might benefit from this doesn't change the fact that she was robbed again. It was about the GESTURE to give her one.
And didn't Anke say before Leipzig "Right now I don't see a German player deserving a WC for Filderstadt". So obviously ALG's performance at Leipzig changed her opinion. But was it THAT impressive ? Beating a slumping and bored player (Schett) and taking a set off Petrova who isn't in top-form is not enough IMO. Didn't Anca do the same last year in Leipzig by qualifying, reaching the 2nd round and taking a set off Serena ? But that wasn't enough for a WC ? :rolleyes:

Obviously coming-up at the age of 25 is considered less than doing the same at 18. People say "Anca is old and won't win any big tourneys, so let's put everything into our only prospect". That's typical German mentality IMO. Instead of supporting and working with the decent player material we are currently having (=Anca being almost top 50), we ignore it and put our hopes on a player who is promising but might never reach the top 50 because you never know what will happen in the future, just because everything below alleged top-10 material isn't worth a shit anyway. :mad:

I'm not saying that ALG should be ignored, but they should get equal support. And this isn't equal at all. :(

Doc
Oct 4th, 2003, 03:01 AM
ALG did well in Leipzig. She is the new player. She deserves a bit of a chance.

slice
Oct 4th, 2003, 03:03 AM
to arcus: one 1 would hope not :p

arcus
Oct 4th, 2003, 03:09 AM
to arcus: one 1 would hope not :p

Im hoping no