PDA

View Full Version : First WC given out

Doris Loeffel
Oct 3rd, 2003, 03:54 PM
MGM and Marie Piere got the first two WC for the Swisscome Challange.
The third and last one will be given away shortly before the tournament start. Emmanuelle Gagliardi and Myriam Casanova have asked for one.

The 14 year old talent from Waadt Timea Bascinski got a WC for the qualies

Well all I say is Hoooppp Schwiiizzz

Piotrek
Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:51 PM
Doris Loeffel

Thank you for that information !! :worship:

TennisHack
Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:12 PM
Pierce and Mikaelian handed Zurich wildcards
2003-10-03 17:31:20 GMT (Reuters)

ZURICH, Oct 3 (Reuters) - Mary Pierce and Marie-Gaianeh Mikaelian have been handed wildcard entries into this month's Swisscom Challenge, organisers said on Friday.

Tournament director Beat Ritschard chose to award two of the three available wildcards to France's Pierce, ranked 49th in the world, and home favourite Mikaelian after both missed out on automatic places for the Zurich tournament.

Pierce, 28, reached the final of the tournament in 1995 but has not played in the Swisscom Challenge since 1999.

World number 44 Mikaelian, 19, has twice reached the quarter-finals of the tournament, which begins on October 12.

Organisers also said that they expect world number one Kim Clijsters to compete despite the Belgian currently suffering a foot injury.

Monsters
Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:31 PM
Mary Pierce?...it's good that she's recovering,
but taking up WC's from the Swiss own players,
that's really not acceptable....

btw, wasnt MGM going to be changing her nationality?
i cant remember where, but was she?...

Rothes
Oct 4th, 2003, 05:38 AM
hhhhoooopppp sssccchhhhwwwiiizzzz

Rothes
Oct 4th, 2003, 05:40 AM
Marie GM is Armenian. If she changed she would get no funding what so ever from the Government, or that their facilities in yerevan are shocking. Best she stay in Swiyzland.

~|Naomi|~
Oct 4th, 2003, 09:33 AM
they better give myriam one

Beat
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:30 PM
they better give myriam one

well, i think so, too. but on the other hand, emanuelle is actually ranked higher, so... :confused:

spiceboy
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Marie GM is Armenian. If she changed she would get no funding what so ever from the Government, or that their facilities in yerevan are shocking. Best she stay in Swiyzland.

She wasn't thinking about moving back to Armenia but to France instead :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jodie
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Go Mikaelian :yeah:

Also good luck to Bacsinszky :yeah:

Dava
Oct 4th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Go Timea!

Piotrek
Oct 4th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Good luck to Mary Pierce

COME ON MARY !!!

Monsters
Oct 4th, 2003, 06:13 PM
thx....i was wondering about that too:)
cant remember where i heard about her wanting to change nationality,
but anyways, congrats on getting precious WC:)

Nicoleke
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:54 PM
I think that it ' s " normal " to give a " wild card " to Mary Pierce, she is an excellent player who were injured !!!!!

Martian KC
Oct 4th, 2003, 10:04 PM
I wonder if they'll just give it to Myriam. Good luck to them all!

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 5th, 2003, 01:22 AM
Udachi Timea! :D :D

Rothes
Oct 5th, 2003, 02:16 AM
She wasn't thinking about moving back to Armenia but to France instead :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

She wanted to be based in France, however her Father is Armenian and they were discussing with Armenian officals wether to play for Armenia, rather then Switzerland.

Rothes
Oct 5th, 2003, 02:17 AM
*Hopes Romina Oprandi will play*

Doris Loeffel
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:21 AM
We'll have to wait for the qualiy draw to see if Romina plays or not but honestly I doubt it.

switz
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Mary getting a wild card is not a shock or wrong as she has an exemption as a former GS winner. the organisers are not allowed to give wild-cards to the swiss players unless nobody on the exemption lists asks for one.

myriam better get a wild card. i'm not trying to undervalue manu, but i think it's important that they give the players who are the future of swiss tennis the chance to play in this event. i think myriam is also playing a lot better than manu at present

Doris Loeffel
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:18 AM
psst Rothes did you know that Romina is now playing for Italy?

Beat
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:22 PM
psst Rothes did you know that Romina is now playing for Italy?

say whaaaat?? :eek: :confused:

Martian KC
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:49 PM
OMG, Romina!:rolleyes:*sigh*

KV
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Gotta stick with Casanova getting the last WC. Btw, does MGM live in the french speaking part of Switzerland. Is she French speaking, in other words is French her first language? Know she's from Armenian origine.

Beat
Oct 7th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Btw, does MGM live in the french speaking part of Switzerland. Is she French speaking, in other words is French her first language?

yes, she is and she does. as far as i know she's from yens, near lausanne.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 7th, 2003, 06:22 PM
:) Marie and Mary :D

Rothes
Oct 8th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Really Doris? I had no idea :o, The last I heard was that she was injuried, and thus forced of the rankings, But I heard no news of Romina changing to Italy. *Sigh* I geuss thats what you get with Switzerland, young players playing for a country that has the same language as it has in Switzerland.

Rothes
Oct 8th, 2003, 02:34 AM
Do you have an article on the Transition?

Doris Loeffel
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:20 AM
say whaaaat?? :eek: :confused:

Beat it's in the lates Smash!¨

Oprandi playing for Italy

Apropos Fed Cup: Teamcaptain Zoltan Kuharszky will from now on no longer be able to count on Romina Oprandi. the JuniorSwiss-Champion plays from now on only for Italy, the homecountry of her father. She'll still be training in Swiatzerland though.

Source: www.smash.ch

Doris Loeffel
Oct 10th, 2003, 10:30 AM
And Myriam got the remaining one!!

Tina Schassmann also got one for the qualies to bad Timea and Tina both face quite though opponents...

Still good luck to all the swiss girls!!

Scotso
Oct 10th, 2003, 03:12 PM
I think that Emmanuelle should have gotten the other WC. I don't really think it's fair to give it to Myriam when Manu has better results and is ranked higher.

Sammm
Oct 10th, 2003, 03:22 PM
No, Myriam desrved the other one. Her results would have been much better if it weren't for her problems with her thyroid gland.

Rothes
Oct 11th, 2003, 12:35 AM
I would of liked for Emmanuelle to be given a wildcard as well, Though shes vying for her first title in Tashkent. If I was the person to give out the wildcards, I would have to give one to Myriam over Emmanuelle, simply because the future of her, where has Emmanuelle is now 27, Myriam is still in her teens.

Scotso
Oct 11th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Steffi Graf is in her 30s, but if she wanted a WC into this event they would have given it to her.

Age shouldn't matter.