PDA

View Full Version : ...how long would the sisters keep playing if they weren't winning...?

Martian Willow
Oct 3rd, 2003, 02:57 PM
...it has been suggested of some recently retired former world number ones...that, far from suffering from career-ending injuries, they were, in fact, merely unwilling to continue playing...in the light of changes in the nature of the game which left them unable to compete at the highest level...it has been suggested that this is a rather shameful state of affairs and that the players in question had lowered themselves in the estimation of certain forum members...who did not, I suspect, have a particularly high opinion of these players to begin with...and who believed the players would have been better to continue with their careers...regardless of their fall in stature...this leads me to consider...and provide you with the opportunity to discuss the question...of whether certain well-known players...who are regarded as being very much in a dominant position in their chosen sport...would or would not also continue to be active...should such a shift in emphasis...unlikely though it appears in the forseeable future...occur in the sport to end their apparent hegemony...?

:)

DA FOREHAND
Oct 3rd, 2003, 02:59 PM
I think they will both leave when they are at or near the top. Just like QUEEN STEFFI

CamilleVidann
Oct 3rd, 2003, 03:12 PM
I would think if they couldn't dominate next year, they would leave at once and they would come up with this same old excuse "well, we got fed up and bored of the sport. Now we have other things to focus on. Tennis ain't everything for us".

Jen'sFan
Oct 3rd, 2003, 03:14 PM
the williams sisters arent really lovers of tennis that much are they?

bandabou
Oct 3rd, 2003, 03:29 PM
I would think if they couldn't dominate next year, they would leave at once and they would come up with this same old excuse "well, we got fed up and bored of the sport. Now we have other things to focus on. Tennis ain't everything for us".

For all this overtaking talk.....the sisters still reached the finals at two of three slams played and would have probably have made to three this year too, just as last year!

The only place they may have been overtaken is in the rankings....that doesn´t mean that the game has passed them by.

Ballbuster
Oct 3rd, 2003, 03:39 PM

True!

Hell, If I couldn't continue Beating the hell out of my opponents, I'd quit too. You don't have to look far. Shall, I say Martina H. Another person who need to hang it up would be Seles, and Mike Tyson. They are suffering from whoopass syndrome. However, they are good for their respective sports in a obscure sort of way.

gweeny
Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:56 PM
It will not be happening soon. I know some people are desperate for the demise of the Williams sisters, but they will still be dominating for years to come.
Justine: their next competition? (Maybe, but she will still have to beat Venus and Serena to win slams. Very hard to do)
Kim: needs to get over her nerves
Maria S: Is still young
Jennifer, Lindsay: over their prime.