PDA

View Full Version : Ms. Gibson's funeral: "I for so long was supposed to be the next Althea Gibson", Zina

doloresc
Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:45 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/123023p-110518c.html

Althea eulogized as pioneer

By CHRISTIAN RED
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Zina Garrison says Althea Gibson gave her 'the chance to be me.'

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/191-zina_garrison.JPG

Althea Gibson was remembered as a "pioneer" and "groundbreaker" in tennis and the larger world of sports during a service at Newark's early-19th-century Trinity & St. Philip's Cathedral yesterday.
Gibson, who died Sunday at 76 in East Orange, N.J., where she had lived for many years, was the first African-American to win both Wimbledon and the U.S. Tennis Championships (precursor to the U.S. Open), which she did in 1957 and 1958.

Some mourners, like former New York Mayor David Dinkins, had met Gibson in the early 1950s, when, he noted, "there were very few African-Americans found on tennis courts.

"She had to be a fighter," Dinkins said, referring to the segregation and other forms of racism Gibson faced in the tennis world. "But this was the climate in which Althea achieved greatness. The world was a better place because she was here.

"A lot of folks stand on (her) shoulders," Dinkins continued, "and that includes my great friend, Arthur Ashe. Many were inspired by what she was able to do. She fought her fight. Now she can rest. Game, set, match."

More than 200 family members and friends filled the Colonial-style Episcopal church, including 1990 Wimbledon finalist Zina Garrison, one of many who benefited from Gibson's influence on the sport.

"I for so long was supposed to be the next Althea Gibson," Garrison said. "But I discovered my role was to fill the gap in a path for women of color. Thank you for the chance to be me. You broke down doors for me and many others."

Alan Schwartz, president of the United States Tennis Association, said Gibson's career was all the more remarkable because she succeeded years before the civil-rights movement fully evolved. He told of one occasion when a hotel where she was being honored at a luncheon wouldn't let her stay overnight.

Newark Mayor Sharpe James added some levity to the occasion. He told of the time Gibson was his partner in a charity doubles match more than a decade ago. Their opponents? Ashe and Dinkins.

"I said to Althea, 'How are we going to win?' 'Easy,' she said. 'Hit the ball to David Dinkins.' We won. It was a great strategy," James said as the audience broke into laughter.

"Today we come to celebrate a good life," James said. "Althea Gibson crossed a barrier, defeated a barrier and added a rainbow to a previously all-white sport. We thank God for allowing Althea Gibson to pass our way."

butch
Oct 3rd, 2003, 03:33 PM
Today we come to celebrate a good life," James said. "Althea Gibson crossed a barrier, defeated a barrier and added a rainbow to a previously all-white sport. We thank God for allowing Althea Gibson to pass our way."

"Amen" to that

*JR*
Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:07 PM
"I for so long was supposed to be the next Althea Gibson," Garrison said. "But I discovered my role was to fill the gap in a path for women of color. Thank you for the chance to be me. You broke down doors for me and many others."

Zina, with all due respect, Althea's true legacy was that who you were "supposed to be" was Zina Garrison, not Lori, Chanda, Venus, or anyone else! ;)

DA FOREHAND
Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:40 PM
Zina, with all due respect, Althea's true legacy was that who you were "supposed to be" was Zina Garrison, not Lori, Chanda, Venus, or anyone else! ;)

I guess you would know better than someone who lived it. :rolleyes:

doloresc
Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:50 PM

jolly roger, that's not how i understood garrison's quote. to me she's saying that because she was black, she was expected to be the next althea gibson. then after awhile, garrison realized that she could remove the pressure of being the next althea because she was really there to continue to the legacy, to continue the trailblazing.

*JR*
Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:57 PM
Guess what? When a black is free to be mediocre @ a sport WITHOUT a whole race being judged by that, we'll have really gotten somewhere. (And that's not justifying Rush's dumb football analysis, which I'll deal with later. McNabb is a fine QB; that Kordell Stewart is only fair didn't hinder McNabb, McNair, Vick, or Culpepper).

SerenaSlam
Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:40 PM
Guess what? When a black is free to be mediocre @ a sport WITHOUT a whole race being judged by that, we'll have really gotten somewhere. (And that's not justifying Rush's dumb football analysis, which I'll deal with later. McNabb is a fine QB; that Kordell Stewart is only fair didn't hinder McNabb, McNair, Vick, or Culpepper).
u make no sense at all. i understand exactly what Zina is trying to say. to me its the majoirty of what people would understand and agree w/ what Zina had to say. But Like i've said over and over again, we have some "dumb fucks" on this board. And u seem to be falling into the category with others. U get what she was trying to say.

*JR*
Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:09 PM
u make no sense at all. i understand exactly what Zina is trying to say. to me its the majoirty of what people would understand and agree w/ what Zina had to say. But Like i've said over and over again, we have some "dumb fucks" on this board. And u seem to be falling into the category with others. U get what she was trying to say.
Yes, I get what Zina was trying to say. All I was saying was that its sad that a black female player in Zina's era was given that implied hill to climb. Now if you want to call me a "dumb fuck" for this simple and sad observation, be my guest. :rolleyes: