PDA

View Full Version : Why do some players wear caps or visors indoors?

Snuffkin
Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:56 PM
It's been buggin me for some time now - yes my life is that empty. Seriously though, I can perfectly understand players wishing to wear a cap or visor outdoors. But there's no sun indoors, (only bright lights), so why wear them?

I appreciate it may be a contractual obligation from their sponsors to wear as much with their logo on as possible, but why else and that doesn't add up because if it did, why do some players with certain companies do it and not others?

Is it just a fashion statement? Or have I missed out on some greater meaning?

thalle
Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:58 PM
I wear a caps indoors and outdoors. I feel better, and for me, it takes a bit of the sweat... And it's harder to see how red I get in my face when I get pissed:o

Dizzy Miss Lizzy
Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:59 PM
I know that Justine does it cause she wears contact lenses. And the bright lights indoor bother her, that's why she always plays with a cap.

SpikeyAidanm
Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:59 PM
Some players just have a habit of wearing hats and are just so used to playing with them, that it distracts them/makings them feel weird, when they don't play without them. :)

bee
Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:19 PM
Daniela usually wears one... even indoors.. :)
maybe its the lights.. sweat or hair...
I guessed it just one of those weird quirks some players have...:) :)

Andy_
Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:26 PM
I do think that indoor lights can be annoying, to some extent... just because it's not natural light, there can be spots on the court where they would make it hard to hit a smash without being blinded ;) And, last but not least, I guess the magic little word is... endorsement? Caps bear the name of the sponsor, and they appear on screen so more often than those on a player's shoes, just to make an example...

bis2806
Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:36 PM
I think wearing visors/caps makes you look cool and also, another reason could be because one may already be so used to it that he/she would only feel comfortable that way...

btw, justine fans do you know what contact brand she wears???? because she seems to have no trouble with running around whereas my contacts get dry after a while.....

Mattographer
Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:47 PM
Maureen Drake wears sunglasses when she played Indoors? ;)

Mattographer
Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:47 PM
I think wearing visors/caps makes you look cool and also, another reason could be because one may already be so used to it that he/she would only feel comfortable that way...

btw, justine fans do you know what contact brand she wears???? because she seems to have no trouble with running around whereas my contacts get dry after a while.....
Adidas

JonBcn
Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:49 PM
Some players actually have them surgically welded to their heads at birth by tennis-mad domineering parents.

bis2806
Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:53 PM
how is it that justine's contact lenses' brand is adidas?

CapFan#1
Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:26 PM
Most players were head gear to collect the sweat and stop it from running all over their face and into their eyes. To be honest, I never understood how players could play with out a hat, or visor, or headband, or dew-rag to stop the sweat.

bis2806
Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:31 PM
yeah that's true also....

Dizzy Miss Lizzy
Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:55 PM

I have no idea what kind of brand she has. But i wear lenses myself and i don't have any trouble with it when i'm sporting.

R&J
Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:03 PM
Some players just have a habit of wearing hats and are just so used to playing with them, that it distracts them/makings them feel weird, when they don't play without them. :)
Agreed - I also wear a cap all the time cause it keeps me focused in front. Takes away from any distractions for me - just a habit to wear one.

beauty_is_pink
Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:02 PM
Hey...

well for me, I always wear a visor no matter what.. even if its like dark outside.. :lol:
one thing, it covers the sun and protects you from sweat (like some people said)
other thing for me: it hides away by damn ugly baby hair ! they get so frizzy and curly when it's hot or humid..
plus.. I'm so use to it.. I feel comfortable with it on...

Alot of the players wear visors/hats indoors and outdoors... sometimes the light indoor can be bright and that can bother some of the players, I dont think I ever seen Daniela Hantuchova play without her visor :p It's a comfort thing as well..

Talk about distractions.. visors and hats can "remove" the secenary a bit.. so you can concentrate more.. because you cant see from the sides if you lower the hat so you cant be bothered with those "cheering fans" or "ball people" "lines men.."

-Sonic-
Oct 3rd, 2003, 12:05 AM
Lmao @ Adidas contact lenses.... do they have 3 stripes going down one side of the visual field? lol... do they have a lil tinted picture of Anna K or David Beckham on them?

tennischick
Oct 3rd, 2003, 12:28 AM
well Duckman used to do it until his new coach told him that it made him look like a fecking eejit and he stopped. now he just looks like an eejit. ;)

Sanneriet
Oct 3rd, 2003, 12:59 AM
I guess I am the only cynical one that thinks they do it for money :eek:

LeonHart
Oct 3rd, 2003, 01:57 AM
I think their sponsors make them wear it.

JLDementieva
Oct 3rd, 2003, 02:00 AM
I think some players do it just for the fashion, and others probably do it because long hair can get really annoying when you play. They are just everywhere!!! So wearing a cap or visor keep the hair under control a little bit.

Gospodin
Oct 3rd, 2003, 02:05 AM
force of habit

PointBlank
Oct 3rd, 2003, 02:05 AM
Snuffkin you basically said it BRIGHT LIGHTS!

Yak
Oct 3rd, 2003, 02:40 AM
I know the one of my friend does it to hold her hair. Even if she has a poney-tail, she puts one on to prevent the (what's the word) from fallin..

esquímaux
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:32 AM
My visor helps keep the sweat out of my eyes (and yes I know we have headbands for this, but not everyone likes to sport the headband ALL THE TIME......like Henrietta Nagyova :rolleyes: .........seriously! Everytime I see her she's wearing a headband :eek: Poor girl, I hope she can get it off one day :sad: )