PDA

View Full Version : Kremlin Cup 2003 - Moskow

snoop
Sep 28th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Lena is back and hopefully completely recovered to play her home tournament.
She will only participate in the singles competition, no doubles
All the best Lena :D

WC 1 Jennifer Capriati
Elena Bovina vs Patty Schnyder
Svetlana Kuznetsova vs Q
Anna Pistolesi vs 6-Nadia Petrova

4-Anastasia Myskina bye
Magui Serna vs Silvia Farina Elia
Q vs Elena Likhovtseva
Eleni Daniilidou vs 8-Meghann Shaughnessy

5-Magdalena Maleeva vs WC Dinara Safina
Francesca Schiavone vs Lina Krasnoroutskaya
Q vs Q
3-Elena Dementieva bye

7-Vera Zvonareva vs Amanda Coetzer
WC Vera Douchevina vs Lisa Raymond
Jelena Dokic vs Alexandra Stevenson
2-Amelie Mauresmo bye

:bounce: Udachi Lena :bounce:

goldenlox
Sep 28th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Lena and Patty are two stylists. Two fun players to watch. Patty beat Elena L. and Hantuchova in Leipzig. But the best of Lena will win.
GO LENA!

Roxers
Sep 28th, 2003, 07:05 PM
davai lena :bounce: :bounce:

* Princess *
Sep 28th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Lena got a pretty good draw for Moscow.

If she doesn't play stupid, she should beat Patty, who's struggling just as bad. Patty's worth some decent points, also... until Zurich comes around.

Then, with Jenny, I don't think she really wants to be playing Moscow... so there's a chance.

I'm not expecting anything from Lena though, anymore... after seeing her play magical tennis in Toronto and New Haven, and then simply throw her match away against Cervanova... Lena just is so, so, so far away from where she should be in her game.

Anyone can have a lucky match, or two... it's being consistent with your game which proves how good you are really are... and Lena is the complete opposite of consistent.

Hopefully, Lena is healthy, and she really starts focusing on her game. This tournament is a good start for her to make her climb to where she should be in tennis.

Lena knows that Top 10 quality tennis is within her... now stop fucking around, stop worrying about being nice to everyone, stop trying to hit stupid winners, and play your game.

goldenlox
Sep 28th, 2003, 10:04 PM
Sometimes it takes time for a player to be consistent. Look at Alyona, how many thought she would win three titles, at least, in 2003?
Lena has game. A lot of tall players need time, imo.
I'm willing to wait.

* Princess *
Sep 28th, 2003, 10:22 PM
I agree. Lena's game will take time to develop. She plays an aggressive, net game (which is her game, even if she doesn't realize it yet)... and those types usually have their best years, later on in their career. Plus, Lena still hasn't grown into her body fully.

I still think Lena has to "find herself", both on and off the court... before she will reach her full potential.

What I mean by Lena "finding herself" on the court... Lena still doesn't know her strengths, and how to use them. Lena still thinks her serve is great... and for her height, it sucks. She tries to play like Venus Williams by going for huge winners in the backcourt, and hitting swinging volleys... and that is simply NOT Lena.

Lena won't reach her potential trying to be a power player... she's far from the strongest player, and she simply doesn't have the hand-eye coordination to be able to play like a Venus or Lindsay.

I wish you all could have seen her match vs. Amanda in Toronto. She didn't try hitting lines in that match... she played smart. She hit powerful, yet high-percentage approach shots, and came to net a bunch. She even hit a few slice approaches. Just by going to net, Lena will win many cheap points against most other girls.

But, I just get the feeling that Lena doesn't have a strategy when she's playing. Even when she's practicing you can tell this. Her comfort zone is banging away shots from the baseline.

goldenlox
Sep 28th, 2003, 10:41 PM
It's what you've said before, experience. Decision making at key moments.
One point from the Jennifer match stays with me. The second game of the third set, Lena had a breakpoint. I thought she had an overhead to win the point. I guess Lena misjudged it. She tapped the ball right to Jenn. Jenn held. Then Lena won two games to get to 2-2.
If Lena can stay healthy and play big matches, she will know better what shots she should go for. Her size can turn out to be a huge advantage when things come together.

goldenlox
Sep 30th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Lena and Patty have split the two matches they've played, both going three sets.
Lena won on grass in 2001.
Last year, Patty won in Zurich, 6-3 in the third. At that time, Lena was playing well. She had won Quebec City. Then Lena beat Vera Z. and Alyona in the KC, before losing to Lindsay.
So I expect Patty to be very tough tomorrow.
I hope Lena comes to the net as much as possible.
Kick some tail, Lena.

* Princess *
Sep 30th, 2003, 12:22 AM
Lena also choked that match vs. Patty in Zurich... she led 4-2 in the 2nd set.

Remember though, Lena lost to Husarova in qualis, and got in as a lucky loser... and Patty went on to win the tourney.

This is definitely a winnable match for Lena... Patty isn't playing like a Top 40 player.

goldenlox
Sep 30th, 2003, 12:44 AM
It should be close, competitive, winnable.
I am concerned that Lena pulled out of Leipzig, and hasn't played a singles match in 5 weeks.
Patty's probably more match tough at this moment. Probably more confident.
If Lena can get this win though, she should have confidence against Jenn. That will be a fun rematch.

KV
Sep 30th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Lena won 6-4 6-2 :)

* Princess *
Sep 30th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Lena won 6-4 6-2

She was down 2-4 in the 1st, and then Lena ran away with it.

I wouldn't read too much into this match, however. Patty didn't play well, at all... and Lena still played too aggressively, and made too many unforced errors. She still looks like the same player against Cervanova.

Still though, a much needed win for Lena... especially ranking wise, since this match was worth 60 points.

snoop
Sep 30th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Lena :yeah: nice win, now good luck vs Cappy

H2H 0-1
2nd rd New Haven Aug 24 2003 J Capriati(3) - E Bovina 4-6 7-5 6-4

Wednesday, October 01, 2003
3rd match on centre court / Not before 15:00
Elena Bovina - (1)Jennifer Capriati

Roxers
Sep 30th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Lena :woohoo:

Davai vs. Jen :D :yippee:

KV
Sep 30th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Good luck against Cappy

Doc
Sep 30th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Yes. A tough draw for Lena. Now meeting the no 1 seed.

But I liked a lot of her play in the win over Patty Schnyder. Lena looked businesslike and determined, and she served and played her shots very well. (Some real scorchers!)

From 3-4 down in the first set she lost only two more games in the match. So play the same against Jennifer (better is allowable), and defend those points!

* Princess *
Sep 30th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Thankfully, this week is the end of Lena defending big points for the rest of the year... just Luxembourg QF left.

This really was a big win for Lena. She desperately needs some wins before her Aussie points come off.

KV
Sep 30th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Thankfully, this week is the end of Lena defending big points for the rest of the year... just Luxembourg QF left.

This really was a big win for Lena. She desperately needs some wins before her Aussie points come off.
You seem to be Lena's biggest fan, are you?

* Princess *
Sep 30th, 2003, 04:28 PM
You seem to be Lena's biggest fan, are you?
Yes.

Lady
Sep 30th, 2003, 05:06 PM
:woohoo: :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 30th, 2003, 05:08 PM
nice win Lena :) :yeah:
now go and take jen out too :devil:

go Lena !!!!!!

goldenlox
Sep 30th, 2003, 08:07 PM
It's great that Lena won. I think this is a sport about confidence. You have to believe you can win. And be healthy.
Lena was down 1-3 in the first. Vera Z. was down 0-4. They both had 5 weeks between matches.
Tomorrow I may have to cut a psychology lecture.

GO LENA!!

* Princess *
Sep 30th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Vera has more problems when she's up 4-0. :p

Lena will go into this match believing she can win. As I said before, she says she thinks she is a Top 5 player when she's playing well. She's young, she's nieve, she's a gorgeous 20-year-old girl who thinks the world is hers.

So, Lena isn't the brightest, but that actually helps her.

That's why I love Lena though... she's the sweetest thing.

She does get down in matches, though. I mean, she keeps fighting every point... but when she gets down, she'll play even more aggressively. That worked for Monica, but Lena isn't Monica. Monica doesn't hit frame with half her groundies.

Anyway, go Lena. I miss seeing that pretty smile after you win.

goldenlox
Sep 30th, 2003, 08:36 PM
I've been reading that Patty didn't play well.
Did Lena control the points in the baseline rallies? Was Patty just wild with UE's?

Edit: I think top 5 at the end of 2005 is not a wild prediction for Lena.
There's a lot to like about her game.

* Princess *
Sep 30th, 2003, 11:08 PM
I only saw most of the 1st set... and Patty played decently. Both players made their share of errors, but both made winners, also. Lena controlled most points, like she always does. Again though, versus a player like Patty, who is struggling, she doesn't always need to be hitting out.

The webcam was screwing up on me in the 2nd set, and people said Patty was tanking the match then.

* Princess *
Sep 30th, 2003, 11:09 PM
As far as top 5 for Lena... it's possible.

There's improvements needed in many areas for that to happen, however.

goldenlox
Sep 30th, 2003, 11:38 PM
The last time I saw Jenn she was playing top 5 tennis against Justine. She was two points away from the U.S. Open final 11 times.
That's why tomorrow should be fun. I don't expect a win. But I know from the New Haven match that Lena can play her toe to toe.
I hope the webcam works.

goldenlox
Oct 1st, 2003, 01:16 PM
YAY!!! Top 5 is not so wild.

snoop
Oct 1st, 2003, 01:16 PM
Lena won 4-6 6-4 7-6 :woohoo: :woohoo:

OMG :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I am so happy :D :yippee:

Roxers
Oct 1st, 2003, 01:17 PM
:bounce:

WELL DONE LENA :woohoo:

auntie janie
Oct 1st, 2003, 01:18 PM
WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE DID IT!!!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

AKTW
Oct 1st, 2003, 01:29 PM
Congrats Lena! :bounce: :D :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 1st, 2003, 01:34 PM
well done Lena :banana: :D

KV
Oct 1st, 2003, 01:38 PM
Lena, her biggest win ever in her home town :dance:

Fantasy Season
Oct 1st, 2003, 05:22 PM
Congrats Lena... I'm very proud. :)

Fought back from match points and all... just amazing. :)

I'm sure Lena must have been so happy after this match, which is good, because she's been feeling down about her results. I really think this will lead to many bigger and better things for our Russina goddess! :)

I still think her win over Dokic is her biggest win, however... that win put her on the map.

But, let's not celebrate too much here. Lena needs to sustain this play... because next round is where the big points start to come into play.

Lena will play either Sveta or Anna P. in the QF... both players Lena has winning records against... and both players that I think if Lena plays her top game, she should defeat.

I know it's looking good that Lena has a chance of reaching the Final in Moscow... but let's take it one at a time with her. :)

thalle
Oct 1st, 2003, 06:18 PM
What a great win:D Congrats:D

goldenlox
Oct 1st, 2003, 07:45 PM
I will take it one match at a time. But I had to check Lena's record against Amelie.
They played once. In New Haven in 2002. A third set tiebreaker.
So Lena should be confident no matter who she plays.
GO LENA!!

Fantasy Season
Oct 1st, 2003, 08:42 PM
Lena's head-to-head is good against practically everyone in Moscow.

2-1 Sveta
1-0 Smashnova
1-0 Eleni
1-0 Myskina
2-1 Vera Z

Only ones that have better is Amelie, like you said... and Dementieva, who Lena beat at Moscow last year, but Alyona won a couple times when Lena was just starting on tour.

This is a big chance for Lena... I really hope her game holds on. :)

goldenlox
Oct 1st, 2003, 08:47 PM
I watched today's match. That two-handed backhand, it's just awesome. It's a weapon.
Lena is such an exciting player. So much fun to watch.
So much potential. So much everything.
But one match at a time.

Fantasy Season
Oct 1st, 2003, 09:35 PM
Lena's backhand is a devastating shot... I saw one of them come right at me in Toronto. :)

She hits it weird, because she bends down when she hits her backhand... and the way she hits it causes noticeably lower bounces. Combine that with the pace she creates off it, and with the often mishits that cause even more strange bounces... it is a nasty, nasty shot to handle.

goldenlox
Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:18 AM
Here's a quote from Lena: " My previous match with Jennifer was the best of my life and I was really upset after I lost it."
So now comes the important part. For Lena to play near this level against everyone else. Consistency.
Lena has so much power. And is such a good volleyer. She should love indoor hardcourts.
And yet I'm worried.
GO LENA!!

Fantasy Season
Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:48 AM
Here's a quote from Lena: " My previous match with Jennifer was the best of my life and I was really upset after I lost it."
So now comes the important part. For Lena to play near this level against everyone else. Consistency.
Lena has so much power. And is such a good volleyer. She should love indoor hardcourts.
And yet I'm worried.
GO LENA!!
I'm surprised she said that was her best match...

Doc
Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:48 AM
No need to be worried. Lena fought through. :D

After the match, she said:
"My previous match with Jennifer (Capriati) was the best of my life and I was really upset after I lost it," Bovina said.

"I was eager to gain revenge for that defeat as soon as possible.

"And there's no better place for the revenge than Moscow."

goldenlox
Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:51 AM
And after the first Jenn match I said bring on Anna P.
I learned my lesson. But I can't wait to see Lena play again.

Fantasy Season
Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:04 AM
I'm just surprised, because personally I think Lena played better against Venus... and even though it was an exho, Venus is a player that Lena really looks up to. I'd think she'd say that was her best match.

I'd rather see Lena play Anna... Lena will control that match on the fast carpet.

goldenlox
Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:16 AM
If Lena plays the way she did this morning, Sveta or Anna, it won't matter.
I didn't see any of those Ireland matches. But Lena was probably very happy right after this match. Jenn had a match point in the 3-5 game.
Very exciting match this morning.

Fantasy Season
Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:24 AM
I didn't watch today's match... but reports say that both players made many errors.

I'm sure Lena was very happy to get her revenge on Jen. I think she's even happier that she finally got a big win like this, because it's a long time coming.

I'd still much rather see Anna in the QF, then Sveta. I think Sveta should beat Anna quite easily, so it might be a moot point. If Lena plays well, she should regardless... but if not, Sveta really scares me. She has the speed and the big forehand to really hurt Lena.

goldenlox
Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:36 AM
You're going to root for Anna P. against Sveta? Poor Svetlana!
There were UE's. But Lena and Jenn were hitting hard and deep.

If Lena wins, Nastya needs that semi very badly. I'm thinking about that match. I don't see how Nastya can win the baseline rallies.

What a statement Lena would make if she beat Nastya and Alyona back to back in Moscow. And Lena has the most game of these three.

LeonHart
Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:33 AM
I don't think Sveta would have such an easy time with Anna P. since Anna runs everything down, and usually Sveta makes the UE when theres a long rally. If Lena is on her game, she can beat both easily. Udachi Lena :D

goldenlox
Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:38 AM
I agree. I expect Sveta to have a tough match.
And Lena deserves to get rematches from this summer. Jennifer was one. Sveta beat Lena also.
I think the big rematch is Maria in Quebec City. That could be something.

Fantasy Season
Oct 2nd, 2003, 03:22 AM
You're going to root for Anna P. against Sveta? Poor Svetlana!
There were UE's. But Lena and Jenn were hitting hard and deep.

If Lena wins, Nastya needs that semi very badly. I'm thinking about that match. I don't see how Nastya can win the baseline rallies.

What a statement Lena would make if she beat Nastya and Alyona back to back in Moscow. And Lena has the most game of these three.
I don't like Sveta because she looks like a piranha. :sad:

Fantasy Season
Oct 2nd, 2003, 03:23 AM
I don't think Sveta would have such an easy time with Anna P. since Anna runs everything down, and usually Sveta makes the UE when theres a long rally. If Lena is on her game, she can beat both easily. Udachi Lena :D
The difference is this is carpet. Very fast carpet... or at least Vera Z. says it is. Unless Sveta throws away the match with unforced errors... I see no way that Anna can hang with her.

Fantasy Season
Oct 2nd, 2003, 03:29 AM
I agree. I expect Sveta to have a tough match.
And Lena deserves to get rematches from this summer. Jennifer was one. Sveta beat Lena also.
I think the big rematch is Maria in Quebec City. That could be something.
We have a ways to go before Quebec.

Lena told me she'd be playing Quebec... but if she wins Moscow, plans might change.

Also, little Maria has just reached 1 final. Yes, she beat Lena... but Lena was sick during Wimbledon, and was playing disgusting at that time. Princess has to prove more.

Fantasy Season
Oct 2nd, 2003, 03:52 PM
Lena will play Anna Pistolesi in the QF of Moscow.

You really can't ask for a better draw than this. But, Anna is a fighter... and Lena will have to play well to break down the wall.

KV
Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:05 PM
Undoubtedly she has the potential to breakdown this Pistolesi. The crowd behind her. Hopefully Lena's a very good day then no doubt who wins. She's by far the more attractive, and is always nice to see somebody with an attractive game in the semis. GO Lena bt. the wall

goldenlox
Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:56 PM
So this is 6am NY time tomorrow?
I want to watch this. Lena does well against Coetzer, so maybe she likes this style of player.
One match at a time.

snoop
Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:07 PM
Lena - AnnaP
H2H 1-0
1st rd / Pan Pacific Feb 2 2003 E Bovina - A Pistolesi(7) 6-2 3-6 6-3

Friday 3 October 2003
Court 1 (from 11.00hrs)
1. Petrova/Shaughnessy vs. Black/Likhovtseva
2. Bovina vs. Pistolesi

should start at about 11am CET / 5am NY time

Davai Lena :D into the semis :bounce:

Fantasy Season
Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:17 PM
So this is 6am NY time tomorrow?
I want to watch this. Lena does well against Coetzer, so maybe she likes this style of player.
One match at a time.
There's a difference between Anna and Amanda, at least at this part in their career.

Even though Amanda is very fast around the court, she can't handle power anymore. In Toronto, if Lena hit one hard shot, it either didn't come back, or Lena had a relatively easy volley.

Anna is different... at least from what I saw of her vs. Jen in New Haven. She wasn't intimidated by Jen's big forehand... but she was susceptible to angles.

Fortunately, Lena loves hitting angles. :)

Also, Moscow is a much faster and lower bouncing court, and Lena will never ever lay off her aggressive game, like Jen did.

If Lena plays well, I'm confident she'll win. But, let's not forget her match with Cervanova. :sad: Ludmila basically played like a wall that whole match, and Lena couldn't overcome it.

Just win, Lena. :)

goldenlox
Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:26 PM
Anna seems much better than Amanda now. I saw Amanda beat Hantuchova this spring. She got a lot of balls back and Dani went for big winners. And missed.
Lena hits powerful groundies. If Lena plays steady is the question. This is another part of her learning process. Just win, Lena.

Have you watched the court one webcam? I've only watched the Lena - Jennifer match.

goldenlox
Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:24 PM
Why doesn't Lena have a shoe and tennis clothing deal?
Why aren't there any off the court photos of Lena, like Lina and Alyona? Or Nastya and the horse.
Can a player this talented have no endorsements?

Fantasy Season
Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:47 PM
Why doesn't Lena have a shoe and tennis clothing deal?
Why aren't there any off the court photos of Lena, like Lina and Alyona? Or Nastya and the horse.
Can a player this talented have no endorsements?
I wonder this myself...

There's ZERO pics of her off-court... which really is strange, because Lena is a very outgoing girl. And she's pretty.

The only possible reason I can think of is family reasons. Lena is very close with them. I get the feeling like they have a big part in Lena's career... maybe even making all her decisions.

But, that still doesn't explain why she's virtually non-existent in endorsements, and off-court happenings.

goldenlox
Oct 3rd, 2003, 12:21 AM
If Lena keeps playing like she did in those Jennifer matches, it's hard to believe she won't get a clothing deal.
I really want her to win this tournament.
It seems like Anna, Nastya and Alyona are all playing the best tennis of their careers. And Amelie is tough. So it won't be easy. And it's only on the tennis channel, so no one in the U.S. will know about it.
But Lena can do this. She can make big noise in Melbourne too.

snoop
Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:03 AM
Lena lost 4-6 4-6 :bigcry:

Match Summary Bovina Elena Pistolesi Anna

Statistics on Service
Ace (1st and 2nd serve) 0 1
Double faults 5 0
1st Serve % 58% 67%
Winning % on 1st Serve 27 / 41 = 65% 31 / 52 = 59%
Winning % on 2nd Serve 11 / 29 = 37% 16 / 25 = 64%
Game Point Conversions 6 / 12 = 50% 8 / 13 = 61%

Statistics on Return
Service returns won 1 1
Break Point Conversions 2 / 12 = 16% 4 / 8 = 50%
Break games won 2 4
Perfomance details
Net approaches 12 / 20 = 60% 1 / 3 = 33%
Unforced errors 48 34
Points Won Forcing 16 11

Statistics on Points
Service Points Won 38 47
Return Points Won 30 32
Total Points Won 68 79
Count setballs 0 1
Count matchballs 0 1

Roxers
Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:08 AM
argh Lena :( :mad: :sad: :bigcry: :crying2:

goldenlox
Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:17 AM
I got my hopes up after the first match against Jennifer.
So I knew that Lena doesn't play that consistently every match.
But I did want that Lena - Nastya semi so much.
Lena has the talent. She's still young. I'm willing to wait.
And I will have to wait. Keep your chin up, Lena.

Fantasy Season
Oct 3rd, 2003, 02:47 PM
I got my hopes up after the first match against Jennifer.
So I knew that Lena doesn't play that consistently every match.
But I did want that Lena - Nastya semi so much.
Lena has the talent. She's still young. I'm willing to wait.
And I will have to wait. Keep your chin up, Lena.
Very disappointing.

All of Russia should disown Lena.

I will boo her unmercifully for the rest of her career, or at least until next week.

:mad:

LeonHart
Oct 4th, 2003, 12:21 AM
:sad::rain:I forgot to wake up to see that match!!! Argh! Its all my fault :mad:

Doc
Oct 4th, 2003, 02:19 AM
:sad::rain:I forgot to wake up to see that match!!! Argh! Its all my fault :mad:

Shame on you! I blame you for everything!

But in truth, Anna was always going to be a difficult opponent - the absolute opposite of Lena. Consistent, keep-getting-the-ball back-in-play, players will often cause upsets for "flair" players who take risks like Lena.

A for Lena getting no endorsements - she has to compete with so many other Russian players, and she's not considered as "glamorous" as the Sharapovas, Dementievas, Kournikovas and Krasnoroutskayas. Even today, hers was the only Quarter Final played on an outside court!!! The other three were all on Centre.

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2003, 02:28 AM
Lina K. is not getting endorsement opportunities either.
But to not have a clothing/shoe deal? That seems strange.

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2003, 03:19 PM
I just re-read this thread. It's fun.
Hopes, expectations, and reality. Good stuff.

NFL Films showed Marv Levy reciting an old poem.
It's about a soldier who's wounded, and lies down to bleed for a while, then gets up to fight again.

Onward to Filderstadt!

ally baker
Oct 4th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Marv Levy :hearts:

Are you from Buffalo also, GL?

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2003, 04:50 PM
No, NYC.
I have a kid sister who became a Jets fan.
So I root for Buffalo and Miami. We bet on the games.

Edit: Marv Levy is what, 80? I've been to Saratoga. Never Buffalo.

goldenlox
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:44 AM
I can't get over that smilie you used for Marv Levy.
Would you use that for Sveta if she coached the Bills?

ally baker
Oct 5th, 2003, 05:58 AM
Marv is like 75 now, at least.

I don't care that he's old... I love him. :) Marv is incredibly intelligent, and he's really funny.

goldenlox
Oct 6th, 2003, 10:38 PM
When Lena was one match away from playing Nastya in Moscow, I felt Lena had a great chance.
Now Lena is one match from playing Nastya in Filderstadt, and it seems like Lena is a big underdog. If she gets past Zuluaga.
It's amazing how a viewpoint can change in a few days. That's why Lena has to stay confident, and focused.
Nobody expected Nastya to overshadow Elena D. after Bali and Shanghai. And now no one expects another Russian to overshadow both of them.
And Lena can.

ally baker
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:55 PM
When Lena was one match away from playing Nastya in Moscow, I felt Lena had a great chance.
Now Lena is one match from playing Nastya in Filderstadt, and it seems like Lena is a big underdog. If she gets past Zuluaga.
It's amazing how a viewpoint can change in a few days. That's why Lena has to stay confident, and focused.
Nobody expected Nastya to overshadow Elena D. after Bali and Shanghai. And now no one expects another Russian to overshadow both of them.
And Lena can.
That will happen again about another million times...

Lena mesmerizes us with her play one match... then she's horrible the next. This pattern will never change.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if she beat Nastya in the R16, actually... but then I wouldn't be surprised if she lost to Nancy Loeffler-Caro in the next round.

goldenlox
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:16 AM
This tournament is so deep in quality that if Lena beats Nastya, I would consider this week a huge success for Lena.
Lindsay is the next probable opponent.
But with Zuluaga the first round match, I won't bring it up again until tomorrow night (if things go well).