PDA

View Full Version : Fokina and Voskoboeva?

Gowza
Sep 22nd, 2003, 12:40 AM
have you been dissapointed with these 2 players? i thought they would be steady top 100 players. they are doing ok fokina is #169 and voskoboeva is #187 but i've been a bit dissapointed with how fast they've moved up the ranks. i thought they would be top 150 by now and would be in wta qualifying events.

goldenlox
Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:15 AM
The player whose development has been a disappointment to me is Anna Bastrikova. It seems as if she's disappeared. Anyone know if she is represented by a management company? Anna B. has marketing possibilities.

Gowza
Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:30 AM
yeah anna b is very good looking and she has been dissappointing. she did go back and play some junior matches earlier this year i think.

but what about fokina and voskoboeva?

goldenlox
Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:42 AM
It's tough to break out of the challengers and on to the tour.
Voskoboeva just got to the quarters in Zhukovskiy. That was a 25k.
Fokina played a 75k in Italy. She couldn't get through to the main draw.
Fokina did win a round in the KC back in 2001.

Edit: I've never seen either play. So I don't know if they have top 50 talent. I've never seen Anna B., either, but her name was used with Maria K., and Anna B. is almost 18 now.

Gowza
Sep 22nd, 2003, 02:31 AM
the player i'm most dissapointed with is afinogenova. she was meant to be a very very good player and look what she's done so far. i was surprised earlier in the year when she got a wildcard into the the qualies of a wta event, i think it was scottsdale but i'm not certain. anyway she won a match and then took razzano to 3 sets and at that time razzano was playing great tennis so i still have hope for her. but it's always heartbreaking with the young players that challeng the top 100/top 50 players when they play in the wta events but when they go and play the challengers they lose easily to virtually unknowns.

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 22nd, 2003, 03:41 AM
Fokina is very flaky.
she's our version of Patty in style of play and in the brain(less) category, and as well as her performances (to a lower level)
she's been stuck in around 175-200 range for 3 yrs now :(

Galina V has progressed slowly
this is her 1st real yr on tour and she's moved up ok
won a $25k
she's too inconsistent.

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 22nd, 2003, 03:43 AM
Anna B's had a really really terrible year :sad:
just lacking confidence this yr
started badly and continued on :sad: :sad:

even went back to juniors (only to play for Russia in U18 events) and not much better luck there :(

the cat
Sep 22nd, 2003, 03:59 PM
Yes GL, Anna Bastrikova has a management company. But she will have to play much better tennis to be able to receive endorsements. And that alone should be a great incentive for her.

While it's been a good year for alot of the Russina's, some of them have really struggled. :( I hope those who have struggled this year have fine comeback years next year. :)

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:23 PM
Anna B played in Batumi this week
won 2 quali matches but lost to 16 yr old Yakimava :(

Anna B also named as a 3rd player with Douchevina/Kirilenko for Russia U18 Summer Cup finals in Oct.

goldenlox
Sep 22nd, 2003, 08:40 PM
If Anna B. isn't playing well, and fell out of the top 400, why was she picked for this team?
Why not Kutuzova?

ZAK
Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:44 AM
If Anna B. isn't playing well, and fell out of the top 400, why was she picked for this team?
Why not Kutuzova?
Kutuzova plays for the Ukraine

goldenlox
Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:57 AM
Thanks ZAK, I've never looked at Vika's bio. I just made a wrong assumption.
I'm still unsure why Anna B. was picked along with two players who are viewed as a big part of the future of Russian tennis.
But it's a great opportunity for Anna. I'd like to see her use it to impress.

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 23rd, 2003, 08:58 AM
Anna will be used for doubles in likely scenario anyway
cant see her playing singles.