PDA

View Full Version : Most shocking thing a player has ever DONE during a tennis match

Volcana
Feb 4th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Jenn winning the OZ final is actually up there.
If you pick Martina at RG 99, you didn't see Johnny Mac in his heyday. Martina has never come close.
Lleyton Hewitt's comments about James Blake were quite surprising.
'Gigi-gate' wasn't during a match.

NOTE: The question is about what the player's did, not the refs, the crowd or the coach.

Snuffkin
Feb 4th, 2002, 04:19 AM
The only one that really springs to mind is Jeff Tarango at Wimbledon a few years ago when he blew up at Bruno Rebeau (sp?). The shock came because his reaction was completely OTT and rather unprovoked. There was obviously a bit of history between the two but it did make me laugh, as well as the stories that Tarango's wife had hit the umpire at some stage. And of all places to do it, Wimbledon, the fortress of good behaviour and British reserve...

irma
Feb 4th, 2002, 04:20 AM
I think it was Mcenroe hitting a photographer
or David Wheaton and Brad Gilbert who started fighting during a match at the masterscup 1990
and there was also another tennisplayer(but I don`t remember his name) who hit somebody.
I can`t remember anything like this ever happened at a ladies tournament.

Shane54
Feb 4th, 2002, 04:23 AM
There is an authentic photo of Thomas Muster changing shorts on court at a red clay court tourney. He had a jockstrap on and of course it has no backside. So there is full view of Thomas naked rear end. Nice too..
Can be found at www.thebluegallery.com (have to have UGAS id)
under real athletes or famous athletes I believe. Check it out if you are not to pristine !! LOL

auntie janie
Feb 4th, 2002, 04:26 AM
Pete Sampras hitting aces while WEEPING for his dying coach during his match with Courier at the Australian Open .. sorry, I forget what year it was ... very shocking, upsetting, and impossible to turn the eyes away from ... I still get tears in my eyes thinking about it, and Tom Gullickson, of course, did die ... :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Vanity
Feb 4th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Well, I don't have one of those but what is his butt like? is it nice? LMAO ;)

Volcana
Feb 4th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Jeff Tarango. What can we say? All the Mcenroe attitude and one tenth the talent.

Hingiswinsthis
Feb 4th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Venus Williams in her 99' Quarters match with Davenport where i believe she lost a point for her beads for being too "distractive".She really got upset there and in 98' Wimbledon vs. Jana Novotna when she called for the referee:eek:

Andrei Agassi being defaulted for bad language in a California tournament. Now that was something:p

jomar
Feb 4th, 2002, 09:31 AM
very true Mel. I could remember those incidents too especially that of Andre....well, Cecil Mamiit(our kababayan) was Andre's opponent then on a semifinal match.;)

Hingiswinsthis
Feb 4th, 2002, 09:47 AM
That made huge headlines i remember Kuya Jorin. The Fil-Am papers here were so psyched about Cecil advancing to the finals. I think that was in Feb. of 99' just right before Agassi changed his attitude and went to win Paris.

BTW what happened to Cecil maamit. i thought he was born back home but he is American. i guess the search for a Pinoy star continues:o

jomar
Feb 4th, 2002, 09:52 AM
oh well, I guess that pinoy star should come from your blood line.;):angel: Cecil lost to the Scud in that finals. I guess being a stanford Champ, he's still has a great chance of improving.:angel:

BCP
Feb 4th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Shane 54, I like your work! Thank you!!!!:)

Shane54
Feb 4th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Thank ball change..I knew my hard work would pay off and believe me it was fun....my dream would be to find a photo of Magnus like that.....;)

BCP
Feb 4th, 2002, 10:15 AM
I will be forever indebted if you could find one of Thomas Endqvist, but from the front! LOL!;)

Williams Rulez
Feb 4th, 2002, 03:22 PM
The Venus beads things was shocking. Her beads fell off her head, and she was very upset. She was then deducted a point for causing a disturbance on court. Now, she was really upset. She :sad:

RayRob
Feb 5th, 2002, 12:45 AM
Tim Henman was disqualified in a mens doubles match in Wimbledon 1995 for hitting an unsuspecting ball girl with a tennis ball.

He hit the ball in temper but he didn't know that the ball girl had already begun her journey to retrieve the ball. The tennis ball hit her in the head - the girl was in tears and consiquently, Tim was disqualified from the match.

Monica_Rules
Feb 5th, 2002, 01:25 AM
I remember watching the Tarango thing at wimbledon!I thought his wife came on court and salpped the umpire!Thats what i remeber anyway!

victory1
Feb 5th, 2002, 01:27 AM
Didn't I read somewhere, that a male player spit up at the audience and had to forfeit a match? I think it was at a slam (Wimbledon?)

Tennisfan**
Feb 5th, 2002, 01:33 AM
Come on who remembers that hillarious and famous changeover "BUMP" at the '97 US Open between Irina (The White Turkey) Spirlea & Venus.

I think is pretty high up there on the shocking front.

Double Fault
Feb 5th, 2002, 01:40 AM
Johan Kriek swearing at the umpire to tell somebody in the audience to quit smoking. "I don't want to catch F*****G cancer" Infact the tournament was the Benson and Hedges Masters if I recall. It was a good advert for B&H's. The umpire looked like he was about to weep.

Halardfan
Feb 5th, 2002, 02:35 AM
I think John Mcenroes various on court actions dwarf most other peoples...he would really go into a thunderous rage...and yet...his tennis following his tantrums hit heights that no on else has ever matched.

Love him or hate him, it was electric watching Mcenroe, anything could and would happen, he was often in turmoil on the court.

Mcenroe - vastly arrogant, Mr Big Head, sometimes an absolute jerk, yet vulnerable, emotional, a fighter... and for me, one of the most talented people in the history of sport. ANY sport.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/furniture/in_depth/tennis/2001/wimbledon/legends/mcenroe.jpg

Oh and Left Handed too, a sign of genius you know. :)

Candy946
Feb 5th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Hey, I didn't know Cecil Mamiit was Pinoy or American born. I remember that match for some reason. It was held in San Jose where Andre was upset about Karol Kucera's toss while serving??He got really irritated. I don't remember if that was the reason he was defaulted or an incident happened between him and Cecil. Anyway, he lost to Mark Philipousis in the final.

disposablehero
Feb 5th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Monica not quitting at the 2000 Ericsson.

Brian Stewart
Feb 6th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Gigi Fernandez mooned Mary Pierce. In 2 consecutive matches.

At last year's US Open, during her match against Barbara Schett, Selima Sfar's skirt became undone during set point. Selima opted to grab the skirt rather than go for the ball, and lost the set. Modest, right? Well, during the between sets changeover, she changed into a new skirt.. right there on the court! (FTR, she does not wear shorts under her skirt.) If she was going to do that, why not just let it drop in the first place and save the set point?

Speaking of changing things on court, late in her career, Barbara Potter had back problems. Her doctor advised her to keep a dry shirt on during her matches. She felt it would be too big a bother to run off the court several times a match (and you only get a couple of breaks allowed), so she decided to change her shirt on court. At Wimbledon, the ballgirls would gather around her with towels to block public view. The photographers used to scramble around to get pictures of the "action".

Unconfirmed report: that during Wimbledon, 1999, the 50th anniversary of the Gussie Moran incident (coincidence?), Olga Barabanschikova wore a thong under her skirt. A tribute perhaps?

In the 70's, also at Wimbledon, there was a Russian player who forgot to bring her tennis panties. She felt it would be too embarassing to be seen wearing her regular underwear beneath her skirt, so she opted to wear... nothing under the skirt. (Let's see, underwear showing = embarassing, bare butt cheeks and genitals showing = not embarassing? :confused: )

At Wimbledon in 1979 (what is it about that place?), Linda Siegel wore a halter dress for her match, with no bra underneath. We know this because on one particular overhead, when Linda reached up, the skinny straps snapped, and her top went in the other direction. This single incident is cited as the reason that halter-top tennis dresses went out of fashion for well over a decade.

wongqks
Feb 6th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Thanks Brian for those funny incident.

I agree with disposablehero, why Monica did not quit coz she is obviously very injured and rather get booed by the very rude crowd who did not have a clue at what happen is beyond my understanding. That match haunt her for the rest of the year, can you remember that year, she beat everyone below her but not the top 4, not even once.

Monica_Rules
Feb 7th, 2002, 01:53 AM
The erricsson open thing was horrible!I felt sooooooo sad!

irma
Feb 7th, 2002, 01:58 AM
candy946 that balltossing incident was at the us open 98.

veryborednow
Feb 7th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Apparently

During a 1999 US Open practice, she forgot to put anything on under her skirt.

:eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

RAA
Feb 7th, 2002, 02:15 AM
The monica-booing incident at the ericsson proved to me that tennis fans (i suppose I count myself as one of them) can be as boorish as fans of any other sport (note the regular bashing of players that goes on in this board).
It was too bad that Seles, who is the consumate professional and did not want to default, was booed for what the fans thought was lack of effort.
anyway, this is a bit off-topic, sorry.
ummm, the most shocking thing - didn't Jimmy connors used to make some pretty inappropriate gestures during matches?
Ruth in Philly PA USA

KindaNice
Feb 7th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Yeah the Tarango incident was pretty bad...what a brat. His wife slapped Bruno AFTER the match...

I watched a small tournament in Arizona years ago and watched a hotly contested doubles match with Roz Fairbank and Elise Burgin. Can't remember who they were playing against. They received what they thought was a bad overrule and Elise stormed over to the chair umpire. She yelled at him and finally lost her temper. She raised her racquet and took a big swipe at the microphone! The microphone went flying and the crowd was just so shocked! Obviously she got a warning but not defaulted. They ended up winning and afterwards took the microphrone and provusely apologized to the crowd.

She was always a character and later became president of the WTA tour...

jas
Feb 7th, 2002, 08:27 AM
The Tarrango thing was bad...sick really...

One of the BEST things I've ever seen in tennis was when Guga Keurten was playing Cedric Pioline...I think at the French...and they were having an incredible match! Cedric made an incredible shot after a long rally...and Guga walked around the net with his hand outstretched to congradulate him right at that very moment!! I will never forget Cedric's face...he was dumbfounded...and the fans just cheered Guga...that was the day I knew Guga had a huge heart...a great lover of the game and of a great shot played by his opponent!

Zhao
Apr 25th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Venus shouting st the umpire after a non-call at 98 Wimbledon against jana

i saw it......she saw it......everybody saw it...Only u DIN SEE IT!!!! and then she :sad: :sad:

cooolconchita
Apr 25th, 2002, 10:19 AM
what about mary against conchita at roland garros 2nd round 99 i think. mary was off court for nearly 30 minutes - didn't give an explanation, and wasn't docked ANY points - she went off court another 3 times!! it was amazing that nothing was said!
conchita won though! :D :D :D

PamShriverRockz
Apr 25th, 2002, 10:23 AM
About 2 years ago, Mary Pierce congratulated Arantxa after she retrieved an impossible shot :)

I was at the Jim Courier and Schalken match at wimbledon in 99 and Jim's behaviour was pretty poor and unacceptable IMO, he was intimidating the umpire and line judges. It was a great match though.

I think Tim Henman's disqualification is still the most unbelievable thing I've seen!

aura of daniela
Apr 25th, 2002, 10:52 AM
These two moments weren't shocking, they were more comical but I think most of you might remember them and enjoy them anyway.

The first was at the 98 US Open (I think) and it was Guga playing Cedric Pioline (I think).
It was deep into the 4th set, and was so tight. Guga was serving and planes constantly flew overhead. It was a crucial point, and another plane flew overhead and Guga just look up to the skies and let out a huge scream.......the fun thing was that you couldn't hear his screams over the plane, the plane noise was that loud.
He went on to lose that match as well............damn stupid airport.

The other was involving Mr Goran.......he was playing Krajicek in an indoor tournament in like 96, 97.
It was a really long raley and both player were moving from side to side. An angled short shot took Goran out of court, and instead of run back to his side, he continued with his momentum to the other side of the court, and tried to block Richard's with his racquet. The crowd went wild.......funny moment.

Simon V

Beige
Apr 25th, 2002, 11:02 AM
US Open 1993, Round of 16, Steffi Graf vs. Mary Pierce.

After killing Mary 6-1 6-0, Steffi gathers her racquets and bag and looks over at Mary and pouts, wiping fake tears from her eyes. The camera didn't catch Mary's reaction but it made Steffi look obnoxious and that's putting it mildly.

Messenger
Apr 25th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Take a look at my avatar!

maccardel
Apr 25th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Hey cassimir-Nice Avatar but-there's a spaceship in the form of a racket heading towards Goran...oh no!!!!...lol

Messenger
Apr 25th, 2002, 12:25 PM
No it's not Goran. Here's a hint :cool:

http://photos.wtastarz.com/data/1ntaupic1.jpg

Gandalf
Apr 25th, 2002, 01:10 PM
:eek: at Beige's post!

Brian, what happened exactly with Gigi Fernandez?.

vw43
Apr 25th, 2002, 01:34 PM
I know it's overdone but I will just never forget Martina Hingis' meltdown at the French against Steffi. It wasn't just during the match either...All the badmouthing Martina was steering towards Steffi..the implications that she was old and should retire etc...then her completely immature behavior on court...I just couldn't believe it. Then to have to have your mother drag you back on court crying...I'm sorry but it's just too classic. It really is.
I think it taugth Marti some humility.

PamShriverRockz
Apr 25th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Well that RG final with Steffi and Martina...I couldn't believe what I was seeing... You couldn't have written the script. Definately one of the most memorable finals in a long while.

babywhale
Apr 25th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Must give a mention to just a few of the one-and-only Helen Kelesi's exploits:

Playing Julie Halard in Fed Cup 1993:

"You're so f***ing lucky" and then smashing the racket. Bad tempered match. Helen won, and had the cheek to rush to the net to triumphantly shake hands with Julie and then do high-fives with her team mates at courtside.

Also, Kelesi versus Florecia Labat, Austria 1991:

"F***ing bitch"
"F*** that line"
"Why is she so f***ing good?"

At Wimbledon 1991 Kelesi versus Jo Durie:

Getting very upset and crying, arguing every close call, and even being grumpy with a ball boy for continuing to throw her damp, muddy balls.

At Wimbledon 1993 Kelesi versus Graf: 0-6 0-6 ouch!

Kelesi plays in some designer shades on court as part of an endorsement. After 20 minutes of play, trailing 0-6 0-3, Kelesi throws them to floor at the change of ends and crushes them with her foot.

I could go on, but basically, Kelesi was 100% attitude and great fun to watch. She's missed. And she was ranked top-15 to top-25 for much of the late-1980s and early 1990s. The girls today are angels in comparison.

Not to mention Kelesi's exaggerated grunt, which not only increased in volume on key points, but also sounded as if she reaching orgasm. ;)

Pureracket
Apr 25th, 2002, 02:27 PM
I think it was Anne White(?) that showed up at Wimbledon in that white body suit. I loved every minuted of it.

However, that Hingis incident at the French was incredible.

Brian Stewart
Apr 25th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Gandalf, Gigi was supposedly put off by what she refered to as Mary's "attitude" during those matches. (I didn't see any details as to what exactly happened.) So Gigi decided to moon her. It wasn't a "full moon" :), but Gigi did turn around, bend over, flip her skirt up, and pull her panties down just a smidge (to show a little "cheek").

A couple of Johnny Mac incidents stand out, both later in his career. One was when he actually pushed a TV camera over on his way to his chair. It was one of those huge cameras, with a chair attached that the cameraman would sit in. It almost landed on him (cameraman). The crowd immediately recognized the jeopardy John's actions had placed the cameraman in, and began to boo.

Also, at the Australian Open, right around 1990 (give or take), Mac was defaulted from a slam for the first time in his career. He was in one of his tirades, and giving the chair umpire a lot of grief. Then the referee came out, and he got it too. Yet despite the way John carried on, and the language he was using, they would still have let him continue playing. But as he walked away, John did the stupidest thing he's ever done in his career. He looked at the referee and said "F*** your mother!" The referee pitched him out of the tourney.

Another incident took place at the US Open, again late in Mac's career. One of the fans was rooting for John's opponent. John went over to the stands and started lambasting her. However, the woman gave it back as good as she got. The two exchanged rather heated words for a little while before John returned to the match. As he walked away, the camera focused on the woman, and you could see her clearly saying the word "a**hole".

Early in their careers, most of the antics of Connors and McEnroe were more amusing, as they let the air out of the stuffy tennis establshment. (Very much needed.) But later in their careers, they seemed to be a bit more mean-spirited.

Speaking of thumbing one's nose at the tennis establishment, no one loved to do this more than Ilie Nastase. Back in the 70's, when tennis was into the "boom", tennis clothes began to get more colorful. Naturally, the tennis establishment only tolerated this through the most clenched of teeth. However, it really offended their sensibilities when they watched a doubles match, and saw guys wearing 4 different outfits, in at least 4 different colors. So they passed a rule that stated that members of a doubles team must be "similar in appearance" when they play a match. For example, if one member of a team wore a blue shirt and light blue shorts, the other one would have to wear a blue shirt and light blue shorts, in as close a match as possible.

Well Nastase, who has often gotten in trouble for disobeying the rules, this time got in trouble for obeying them to the letter, and beyond. On one particular day, his doubles partner was... Arthur Ashe. (You can probably guess where this is going.) Not only did Ilie put on a shirt similar to Arthur's, and shorts similar to Arthur's, but he also put on makeup to make himself look black. Then the two took the court, much to the consternation of tennis officials. Arthur himself found it amusing, as he knew Ilie was making fun of the rules, and not him. But it got Ilie in a bit of hot water. Again.

spotsyboy
Apr 25th, 2002, 02:41 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned this:

Anna Smashnova v. Katalin Marosi-Aracama in the 2nd round of wimbledon (2000?)

Anna became very upset at one point and hit the tennis ball in anger (with no other intent) but the ball went flying into the crowd and hit a woman in the head. Anna was in tears and profusely apologized, but the speculation was that it actually had something to do with the fact that Katalin's husband was purportedly coaching her from the stands and that the ball MEANT to be for HIS head :) very strange.

oh, Anna went on to win the match, btw :)

GrandSlammed
Apr 25th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Come on who remembers that hillarious and famous changeover "BUMP" at the '97 US Open between Irina (The White Turkey) Spirlea & Venus.

I think is pretty high up there on the shocking front.

You do??? I never really saw the "BUMP" between Irina (The White Turkey) Spirlea and Venus (She Thinks She's The Fucking Venus Williams) Williams as being such a big deal.

Beige.... whoa, Stephanie Graf could really be a major league bytch back in the day, huh??:eek:

Williams defeats Spirlea in a tight three-setter
7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 7-6 (9-7) -- two hours, 42 minutes

. . . What the 6-foot-2 Williams never lacked, though, was a confidence that borders on cockiness, and she's shown that throughout the tournament.
It certainly appeared in a chest-bumping incident with Spirlea on a changeover in the second set, after Williams held serve to 4-3. Williams wore an intense expression as she bounced quickly toward her chair, and Spirlea had a sour, angry look as she came from the other direction more slowly. They collided at the net post.
"I was not going to move," said the No. 11 Spirlea, who has taken verbal swipes at several popular teens in the tournament in the past week. "She never tried to turn. I wanted to see if she would turn, and she didn't. She thinks she's the (expletive) Venus Williams."
Williams shrugged off the confrontation.
"I'm not having any injury from that bump," Williams said. "I thought we both weren't looking. I'm sorry she feels that way. It's not a big thing to me. No one said, 'Excuse me."'
Spirlea tried all match to beat Williams with drop shots, and few worked. Williams had warned earlier in the tournament that it's not a good idea to hit drops against her.
"She must not have heard me say it, I guess," Williams said. "I mean, I'm going to get the drop shot, that's all there is to it. I love people that hit drop shots on me."

Messenger
Apr 25th, 2002, 04:30 PM
How about Olga Barabanschikova reading a book between games at the 2000 Australian Open.

oddkayla
Apr 25th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Dont you all miss the "old" Venus sometimes? Actually I miss all the bad mouthing these players used to do. Nowadays everyone is so proper and too polite!

Grandslammed, i did not know that Venus said that. I actually LOL at "She must not have heard me say it"!

Sigh...the WTA! Such a Soap opera.

Does anyone remember the stare down between Capriati and Venus, I think it was at the Ericcson last year? Capriati lost and Johnny Mac said it was because she had blinked. Only in the WTA!

Mattographer
Apr 25th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Cassimir
How about Olga Barabanschikova reading a book between games at the 2000 Australian Open.
Err... what she doing with that? :o She haven't any thought about strategy for her match? :o

Andre@
Apr 25th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Definitily
Martina Hingis at French Open final1999

That was realy shocking

Keith
Apr 25th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Volcana
Jenn winning the OZ final is actually up there.

I agree, Volcana! Coming back from 5-1 (something like that) and saving four match points was just SHOCKING!

Jen played so well, I did not believe how she did it, so yes I was very shocked at how well she handled the situation and shocked that she found a way to win!

Lelu
Apr 25th, 2002, 05:44 PM
I just love threads like this one!!!
Brian, that Ilie Nastase incident made me laugh to tears. I would argue however about your assessment of Connors. Jimbo underwent a complete metamorphosis later in his career . He actually became both an entertainer AND a crowd pleaser.
Too bad that today's ATP doesn't have such personalities as Nastase, Jimbo or McEnroe. The "New Balls Please" campaign characters have as much charisma as the new tennis balls in the slogan.

dionysus
Apr 25th, 2002, 09:21 PM
One of the most shocking things from that 99 French Final was the underhand serves that Marti pulled out like a spoiled brat having a tantrum, anyone know of any other times where a player served under-handed . . at least in the open era?

Fingon
Apr 25th, 2002, 10:16 PM
About Jimmy Connors, I have to say that although his behaviour today would seem inappropiate, he was funny as hell.

He really knew how to do it, he was a showman and the crowd loved him, it was more an studied act that something spontaneous IMO.

graf630
Apr 25th, 2002, 11:41 PM
tennis history! is'nt it great!!:)

Hingis'meltdown at French '99 -this will make history books someday. The first underhand serve surprised everyone,including Steffi.The second didn't.

The bump between Venus and Spirlea - I seen this comming.Spirlea had been throwing dagers the whole match every time she looked at Venus.

Sampras crying while serving was very touching.I am not a big Pete fan,but was pulling for him in this one.

Andre when he called that lines woman a f***ing b***h .She was the only one who heard it,but had to tattle on him.

Thomas Muster,man I miss that man.I remember a match when he ran to the side to return a ball and kept running to the other side of the court.He was fun to watch.

:)
Johnny Mac just has too many to list!

I sure would like to have seen some of the other strange things that happened,mentioned in this thread. Keep 'um comming.This is a good laugh (well some of them).:eek:

tia clara
Apr 26th, 2002, 12:19 AM
Michael Chang served underhanded to Iva Lendl at Roland Garros, back when he was 17, and ended up winning the championship. Brian can correct me on this, but I think it was the finals, and Chang was running on fumes, his legs were cramping and you could see the agony on his face. He could barely move. But he took Lendl by surprise with the underhanded serve, and went on to win the match. It was a shocker. I remember watching it and my mouth dropping open when Chang did that serve. It's perfectly legal still. Just not very sporting.
Or have they changed that rule?

Oizo
Apr 26th, 2002, 12:24 AM
Anna @ the French Open 1999 :confused: when she played Novotna and wanted to go to the toilet at some point of the match,but Bruno Rebeux or what his name is, didnt let her go until the game was over....lol....she began to cry! :o

Celeste
Apr 26th, 2002, 12:26 AM
I think it was the 4th round or the quarters, Chang beat Edberg in the final that year.

Steffi expressed no bitterness over the underhanded serves placed at her by Hingis. She even commented it was a good strategy, or something like that. After you've won, it's easy to be gracious, but the comments didn't seem insincere. All I can say is, underhanded serves are viewed as well, "underhanded", lol, and don't gain you many fans.

I'm not aware of any rules against doing this today, but I don't really know.

saff76ar
Apr 26th, 2002, 12:29 AM
agree with Andre@, Martina at the French Open final 99. I wanted to punch her soooo bad.

hitman
Apr 26th, 2002, 12:49 AM
Simon V, that match wasnt the same that Pioline hit some amazing forehand winner down the line, slipped, fell to the gorund and stayed there celebrating? Guga would drop his racquet, cross the court and shake Cedrics hand. LOL. I couldnt stop laughing. The match was a four-setter and Guga lost it 4-6 7-6(6) 7-6(14!!) 7-6(8). Epic match.

Also, one more about Guga. Few know it, but he once threw a racquet in the chair umpires direction during a doubles match with Fernando Meligeni (I guess it was RG 1998). :o Of course they were defaulted.

xan
Apr 26th, 2002, 12:50 AM
Hewitt at the US Open was pretty bad.

I've often got annoyed at Arantxa (and some others) for obvious "gamesmanship" such as moonballing, shoelace tying, questioning obvious ok calls, holding up the server etc. It's often been effective on less experienced players.

As for Ilie Nastase, he would clown even in important matches - and often lose through distracting himself! Typical stuff included Prattfalls, giving his racquet to a ballboy or member of the public after a bad shot, fooling with equipment, or making complaints about the electronic eye.

In one Wimbledon match the umpire was calling him to account, and said "Nastase! Resume play."

Ilie took umbrage at this and shouted "You don't call me Nastase. You call me MISTER Nastase!"

The crowd found this rebuke hilarious.

anton
Apr 26th, 2002, 01:24 AM
1997 US OPEN. Irina Spirela bumping into Venus Williams was shocking. She also gave the fans the finger supposedly.

lrg bllt
Apr 26th, 2002, 06:37 AM
:confused: What is an underhand serve??...I have no idea, and it's really annoying me...someone pls tell me

Mattographer
Apr 26th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Definitely Roland Garros 1999 Final! :o @ Martina's underhand serve! LOL!

babywhale
Apr 26th, 2002, 11:23 AM
underhand.....

well, i think they mean under-arm , which basically means instead of tossing the ball up and hitting it above your head, you hit the serve as if it were a regular groundstroke, usually aiming to hit it quite soft, like a drop shot.

people often use the term underhand because it is conisdered to be an unsporting tactic to employ, especially if done without wanring the opponent. Underhand meaning 'devious', 'deceptive', .unclassy'.

Hingis did use an under-arm serve against Graf, which angered the crowd. The second time she tried, though, Graf had her wits about and cracked the ball for a winner. Of course, the crowd celebrated like crazy.

I think people are a bit unfair on Hingis for this day. The crowd were totally for Graf anyway, even though Graf had 4 titles at Roland Garros and Hingis none. Hingis was also the better player for most of the match, and actually had cause to question some of those line calls (the big one she questioned......i think she was right).

And how old was she then? 18? 19?

Steffi, considered mature by most, did milk the crowd for all she could get, though it's hardly her fault if the crowd are going to behave like that.

Anyway, I think people were and still are a little hard on Hingis. Normally, she is a role model on the court, always competing, playing lots of events, supporting the tour, recognising sponsors and fans......

Beat
Apr 26th, 2002, 11:38 AM
richie tenenbaum's last match in "the royal tenenbaums". unforunately, it never happened for real...;)

lrg bllt
Apr 26th, 2002, 11:59 AM
:D Thanx for explaining that to me babywhale :)

Messenger
Apr 26th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Hingis also used the underarm serve against Schultz-McCarthy in 1996 at the Australian Open. She was going to win and so she thought she'd mess around with Brenda.

The French Open serve was under much more serious circumstances. I guess you could justify her action by saying it was strategy. After all, the first time she used it Graf was so surprised she couldn't even return the ball over the net.

The Crow
Apr 26th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Not really sure about this but i vaguely remember a mixed doubles match where Rosset and Hingis played together and Rosset hit something (?) with his hand (?) out of frustration. He hurted himself and couldn't continue and he started crying whilst apologizing to Hingis....

Can someone tell me how correct this is or if my memory is playing tricks on me?? :confused:

Beat
Apr 26th, 2002, 01:26 PM
yeah, that was at the hopman cup, i don't exactly remember which year (98?). rosset slammed his fist against a banner and hurt himself really badly, he might even have broken it, i'm not sure. they had to stop playing.
i'm sure relationships between rosset and the family hingis have not been rosy ever since...;)

Messenger
Apr 26th, 2002, 02:16 PM
It was in 1996 against Croatia (Iva and Goran) and at 5 games all in the last set!

Brian Stewart
Apr 26th, 2002, 03:23 PM
The Lendl/Chang match was, as Celeste indicated, in the 4th round. That was Lendl's worst finish in a tournament all year, IIRC.

Xan's mention of MISTER Nastase brings to mind another story. It seems Ilie felt his younger opponent wasn't giving him the proper respect. So he complained to the chair umpire. "He's calling me 'son of a b*tch'. You tell him to call me 'MISTER son of a b*tch'."

There was a match at the US Open in the late 70's (75-77, when it was on green clay). Jimmy Connors' opponent hit a shot that landed on or near the far sideline. It was called out. As it was so close, the opponent asked the chair umpire to check the mark. The umpire got down and began his trot across the court. Jimmy ran over and rubbed out the mark with his foot before it could be checked.

Another shocking thing was not from any particular match, but just a general occurence. Martina Navratilova recently mentioned Betty Stove's tendency to hit her opponent with the ball. Not just during play (which is allowed, but often frowned upon), but during the warmups. Martina said whenever they were practicing serves, and she'd turn to get a couple of balls from the ballkid, Betty would drill her in the back with a serve.

I assume (hope) she doesn't do that in the legends matches. :)

MLF
Apr 26th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Basically aside from those mentioned I'd say the time Gigi Fernandez threw a chair in amongst some spectators who were vociferously supporting Spirlea in a match.
Also Eva Sviglerova playing a match with no underwear on. She attracted a large crowd.
Any Helen Kelesi match had to have a shocking incident in it, lol.

Ingridy
Apr 26th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Still count Hingis's behavior in 99RG.....

Oizo
Apr 26th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Yes, the French 1999 Final is just not to be topped...lol! ;) :wavey:

Oizo
Apr 26th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Do you know where that was when Goran broke all his rackets during a match and had to quit it? :confused: ROTFLMAO! Very clever...lol! :D :cool: :bounce:

Lola
Apr 26th, 2002, 10:53 PM
definitely RG final 99!

Jakeev
Apr 27th, 2002, 02:34 AM
Well for me the most shocking thing a player has ever done on court had to do with a situation in which the player never intended it to happen.

I think many have forgotten many years ago Stefan Edberg accidentally hit I believe the net judge who fell kind of hard and sadly died of the injuries.

I know Edberg was deeply saddened by the incident but I have always wondered how he was emotionally through out his career because of it.

tommystar
Aug 14th, 2003, 06:39 AM
Bump this old topic.

Very interesting with the Henman disqualification that he and Jeremy Bates lead 7-6 3-6 6-3 6-6, and were playing against Jeff Tarango and Henrik Holm at Wimby'95. Tarango had a hand in 2 disqualification at the same event vica-versa.

Just one word to the Graf-Hingis 99 RG-final.
The best answer would have been, if Steffi had hit a drop-shot from the under-arm serve, and had won with that. :)

2002 in Budapest Quallies 1st Round. Local girl Virg Nmeth played against Emilie Loit, the match was on an outside court, where there is no space between 2 courts. Virg lead 5-2, had setpoint, had an open-court situation hit an easy winner when a ball rolled there from the neighbour-court, making a LET, had to replay the point.
Virg lost the set and the match. :(

Rollo
Aug 14th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Althea Gibson broke her strap at the French in 1956 vs her doubles partner. It exposed a good part of her until her opponent (and doubles partner) covered her up as they ran off court.

LOL@this-from Ted Tinling: again. late 50s (1957)

Shirley Bloomer, world ranked #3, snapping the waistband of a blue tennis underskirt. It fell to the ground during a Wightman Cup match on Wimbledon's grandstand. 5,000 male spectators shouted "more. more" as she calmly stepped out of it."

Rollo
Aug 14th, 2003, 07:56 AM
May Sutton was shocking for her time (the early 1900s).

May was the first foreign woman to win Wimbledon in 1905. After winning the US title in 1904 she never bothered to return, though she could have won several.

By 1910 Hazel Wightman was the US champ, but Sutton had never lost to her. Both were from opposite parts of California. Thousands came to watch what became the first "bitch" matches in women's tennis history.

It started with the warmups, where May socked every ball out of Hazel's reach. "The umpire told her, 'Miss Sutton, you are not supposed to hold up play.' She said, "If you don't like the way I play, I won't play anymore."

The first time May lost to Hazel she walked directly off the court without shaking hands. They shoke hands only because Hazel ran her down before she walked off!

The next time they faced each other May walked off court after splitting two sets. She told (not asked) the umpire she wanted some hot tea and would be waiting for it in the clubhouse. Wightman and the crowd waited 20 minutes for her.

When May returned she won. California papers debated the merits and morals of May's gamesmanship for months and women's tennis got more attention than ever:)

DA FOREHAND
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:05 PM
99 French Final

Pete Throwing up on court

Hewitt's racist remarks at the US Open

The bump!

Seles Stabbing(Saddest day in tennis history)

The Korean(?) guy who cramped up fell to the court and got no assistance.

The Crow
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:11 PM
May Sutton was shocking for her time (the early 1900s).

May was the first foreign woman to win Wimbledon in 1905. After winning the US title in 1904 she never bothered to return, though she could have won several.

By 1910 Hazel Wightman was the US champ, but Sutton had never lost to her. Both were from opposite parts of California. Thousands came to watch what became the first "bitch" matches in women's tennis history.

It started with the warmups, where May socked every ball out of Hazel's reach. "The umpire told her, 'Miss Sutton, you are not supposed to hold up play.' She said, "If you don't like the way I play, I won't play anymore."

The first time May lost to Hazel she walked directly off the court without shaking hands. They shoke hands only because Hazel ran her down before she walked off!

The next time they faced each other May walked off court after splitting two sets. She told (not asked) the umpire she wanted some hot tea and would be waiting for it in the clubhouse. Wightman and the crowd waited 20 minutes for her.

When May returned she won. California papers debated the merits and morals of May's gamesmanship for months and women's tennis got more attention than ever:)

lmfao :D Can you imagine the title of the threads in here if May would be playing today ;)

azza
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:17 PM
John Macenroe " YOU CANT BE SEROIS "

azza
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Actually anythign weiht john in his days he used to fight with the umpire bout a bad call :devil: haha he was a funny one :lol:

maccardel
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Dont you all miss the "old" Venus sometimes? Actually I miss all the bad mouthing these players used to do. Nowadays everyone is so proper and too polite!

Grandslammed, i did not know that Venus said that. I actually LOL at "She must not have heard me say it"!

Sigh...the WTA! Such a Soap opera.

Does anyone remember the stare down between Capriati and Venus, I think it was at the Ericcson last year? Capriati lost and Johnny Mac said it was because she had blinked. Only in the WTA!

It was USopen '01 right after Serena had defeated Martina in 52 minutes to hand her her worst lost ever at usopen.........

TonyP
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:28 PM
There was an earlier incident involving Agassi when he was still in his teens and had all the long hair and the psycadillac clothes. He got so angry over a line call that he spit at the umpire's chair and was defaulted from the match.

He claimed he was just clearing his throat and hadn't meant to spit directly at the chair, but since he was just in a great big argument with the umpire, his excuse did not hold water.

Out he went. And since, as already posted, he was tossed out in '99 or there abouts in San Jose for swearing at a linesman, getting a warning, then going back and swearing at him again and getting the boot, he is the only player I can think of who has twice been thrown out of matches.

McEnroe I know was booted once for bad behavior and booted another time at the US Open for failing to show up for a doubles match on time.

Jen'sFan
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:30 PM
does anyone remember an incident when sampras was throwing up in a match, think it was against agassi? i remember it vaguely.

martina hingis for me, i still remember it like it was yesterday.

Martian Willow
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Some Italian player got defaulted from a match at a $25000 ITF in Edinburgh a few years ago for swearing at the umpire and giving him the middle finger. And didn't Zvereva once give the crowd the bird during a match with Kournikova? :confused:

DA FOREHAND
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:36 PM
does anyone remember an incident when sampras was throwing up in a match, think it was against agassi? i remember it vaguely.

martina hingis for me, i still remember it like it was yesterday.

That was against Alex C., Pete won the match, he also hit a second serve ace.

Jamie
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:36 PM
On Martina Hingis.

1) She got a bad call and she knew it (also Steffie knew it but didn't have the balls to be fair).
2) The kid was 18 years old. lets give her a break. I really don't think Martina knew the penalty for crossing to the other side.
3) Micheal Chang served underhand and never got critizied like Martina did.
4) From the minute she stepped into the lions den at the FO, she not only had Steffie to deal with but also the vulters that were against her. (They loved Steffie because she felt sooo French).
5) Lets give credit to Martina. If that had been me, I would have tiped my hat with my middle finger to the lions and walked out without a word of acknowledgement to them. They did not deserve it. The kid went out and even gave them the courtesy of speaking to them in their own language. I'm sure that took more courage and humility than Martina was credited for.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Being 18 had nothing to do with it. At 16 they were calling her mature, two years later she's just a little girl? Give us a break. Martina was cocky as hell and thought she had the "old lady" beat. The crowd was still cheering her good shots in the third set.

That crowd was nothing compared to what Serena had to face in her own country at Indian Wells.

Most shocking..The treatment of Serena Williams at Indian Wells. I hope she and Venus never play there again and the tournament withers and dies on the vine.

irma
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:43 PM
martina must be glad that steffi was her opponent, if I had been some worse things had happened :o

DannerCal
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Pete throwing up on court.
Pete asking a ball boy to get the ball from his shorts.
Martina H tantrum at the French where she walked over and checked the line.
Jana Novotna crying all over people at Wimby when she did not win.

Jen'sFan
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Jana Novotna crying all over people at Wimby when she did not win.

over royalty!

TonyP
Aug 14th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Martina Navratilova did the same thing in a Roland Garros match against Evert.

There is nothing intriniscally wrong with walking around the net. It used to be legal, now it is not.

veryborednow
Aug 14th, 2003, 05:52 PM
lmfao Can you imagine the title of the threads in here if May would be playing today
Well, the obvious one would be "Sutton refused to shake Wightman's hand" - followed by a ton of bitching and arguing over whether she did or not... blah blah

paul_masterton
Aug 14th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Willow- That Italian player that got disqualified from the Edinburgh 25k was a total bitch. She arrived at teh players hotel and got thrown out about 2 hours later for insulting the manager. The transport people drove her around edinburgh to find a B&B, the foudn one, she went in. Just as the guy driving the mini-bus was about to leave her bags came flying out of teh hotel door shortly followed by the hotel manager and the player in question. Whose name i have annoyingly forgotten.

Natalie Neri calling Dominque Van Boekel a "skanky cow" during their qualifying match at the Edinburgh 10k this year. It was so funny. The other GB players watching fell about in hysterics. Luckily, the umpire thought Natalie was saying it to herself and got no warning. But Dominque deserved it, she called "wait" half way thorugh nat's service action, nat played a crappy point walked up to the net to pick up the ball (no ball people) and said "you skanky cow!" and smacked the ball abotu 2 feet away from Dominique. Then she so sarcastically said "oops sorry". On the next point Natalie looked up and went "are you ready now? or would you like some time to paint your nails?" and then served. Unsurprsiingly she lost the match to the most flagrant cheat on court i have seen in the shape of Van Boekel.

At teh same event Natalia Papadopolou broke down after losing a 4 hour+ match to Carly Homewood 7-6 4-6 6-4. The match was disrupted by rain, so it actually took about 6 hours to complete. It finished at 9pm, it was dark, raining, windy and absolutely freexing. The girls played in sweatshirts!! It was really heartbraking because for all her effort Natalia keft with no ranking points and no prize money. Carly got whipped the following day as she could barely move, she too got no points and no money.

Oizo
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:28 PM
LOL @ irma. What would u have done? Tell us, we wanna know. Would u have slapped her with the racket over the head, so that the racket would make a necklace? :o

cool bird
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Venus shouting st the umpire after a non-call at 98 Wimbledon against jana

i saw it......she saw it......everybody saw it...Only u DIN SEE IT!!!! and then she :sad: :sad:

No she never did. Did she really lose. I have never heard Venus shout not even come on

Infiniti2001
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:47 PM
No she never did. Did she really lose. I have never heard Venus shout not even come on

Oh yes she did. I actually miss that Venus. These days she never let stupid calls bother her. She plays like she has ice running through her veins :eek:

Joana
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:49 PM
Oh yes, she deffinitely did. I think it was because of that, and the AO '99 incident that she decided to be so cool and reserved on court.

Martian Willow
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Danis' general behaviour in the third set against Asagoe at Wimbledon this year was pretty freaky.

selesfan1
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Marta Marrero in Miami earlier this year changed attire on court in front of the spectators.

Didn't Thomas Muster change underwear and shorts on court once?

Joana
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Didn't Thomas Muster change underwear and shorts on court once?

Yes, I have a pic. Don't tell anyone OK. ;)

Shuji Shuriken
Aug 15th, 2003, 12:44 AM
Yes, I have a pic. Don't tell anyone OK. ;)
Hey...can I see that pic :drool:? Muster is :hearts:. Pm me ;)

faboozadoo15
Aug 15th, 2003, 12:59 AM
LOL... i think they were just kidding... o wait nevermind... that kinda stuff doesnt happen at wtaworld anymore.

go hingis
Aug 15th, 2003, 02:11 AM
I was pretty shocked the other night when the news showed Younes El Anoui breaking his racquet in half with such ease. looked like it was made out of paper.

skanky~skanketta
Aug 15th, 2003, 04:12 AM
well, everyone is the wta is too polite these days. good thing justine is stirring up a bit of controversy!more fun!

but i cant believe nobody has mentioned the latest one!

cincinatti masters 2003, David Nalbandian def Roger Federer 7-6 7-6. david was taking too much time between federer's serve and the umpire told him that he had to be on court as soon as the opponent was ready to serve. david was like "where does it say that?" and the umpire replied "um, in the rulebook". i was ROTF!

raquel
Aug 15th, 2003, 06:15 PM
I've often got annoyed at Arantxa (and some others) for obvious "gamesmanship" such as moonballing, shoelace tying, questioning obvious ok calls, holding up the server etc. It's often been effective on less experienced players.

Moonballing is not 'gamesmanship', it is a legitimate tactic. If the other player can't handle a change of pace or work out how to play against moonballs then thats their problem. In 1996 against Habsudova, Arantxa moonballed so much the French Open crowd booed during rallies and booed her off court, but she won.

At 1996 Palermo Irina Spirlea became the first woman to be thrown out of a tournament. In Ace magazine it says she "questioned a line call with a series of curses that questioned, among other things, the umpire's eyesight, birthright and manhood. After a lengthy rebuke from the umpire, she looked at him square in the eye and said 'Go fu*k yourself!" When she was kicked out she gave the crowd the finger amid boos :lol: Go Irina! A year later of course she bumped Venus.

And after a match against Brad Gilbert which McEnroe lost, John went up into the stands to argue with some of Brad's fans that had been cheering loudly during the match and had to be restrained.

lindsay_lee
Oct 9th, 2003, 08:10 AM
I found this thread again after noticing it had gone into oblivion.
Some great comments.
I only saw Helen Kelesi play once, Wimbledon 1993 in the 2nd round vs Rachel McQuillan. Helen was so appalling, I was stunned! Her grunt was phenomenal, she would increase its intensity the longer the point was & the more desperate she became. Set point was very controversial. Kelesi had led Rachel 6-1 in the TB, when it got back to 6-5. The 2 exchanged in a long rally, then Rachel approached the net, Helen tried to pass her, Rachel hit a volley which made Helen lunge in the corner. She let out a hugh wail but managed to get the ball back. It went over Rachel's head & the 1st set was awarded to Kelesi. Rachel then asked the umpire about the cdubious call on the volley. The umpire indicated the ball was in, & the lineswoman had not called anything. So, Rachel thought Helen's grunt had been an out call & didn't proceed to go for the smash on the lob. Helen won 7-6 6-4, but didn't garner too much support on match point. Rachel's forehand only just clipped the line & Helen yelled during the point 'Nice Friggin bounce'. Rachel then proceeded to hit the next shot into the net.
Apparently Helen carried on like this during fed cup, although she didn't see eye to eye with her teammates.
I have heard that Tara Snyder is also developing a reputation for trying to intimidate her opponents. Didn't work on Kristina Brandi recently, who told Tara to 'get on with the match, I gotta meet my sister for dinner tonight' in a recent US Challenger, which Brandi ended up winnig 6-2 6-3

Stefwhit
Oct 9th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Thanks for bumpin' this up Lindsay_lee I missed it the first time around and it was a good read!

A lot of the mathches I actually saw like the Pete vs. Alex (with Pete barely able to stay on court and throwing up in the flower on court), Venus and the bead incident, Venus in tears at Wimby, the "bump" incident, Anna at tears in Wimby, Steffi vs Martina- this one had all sorts of drama (the crossing of the net, the crowd, the tears, the uderhand serve, the pushing of the WTA official at the end of the match).

I also remeber Alex Coretcha (sp?) serving and hitting a bird in midair- the poor bird lied lifeless on the court and it was the freakest thing.

There was a match with Andre and I can't remember the opponent but Andre was getting increasingly pissed off because his opponent kept throwing the ball up to serve but then would catch it repeatedly before actually serving. Andre got so bothered by it that he started doing the same thing just to piss his opponent off. It got to a point where it was ridicullous but funny, nonetheless.

There was another match (sorry can't rember the players) and both ladies had the hardest time serving. They both had more than their usual number of double faults. Well after the match was over it was discovered that the lines for the court were all out of whack and not standard regulation. It turns out that the service line distance was cut significantly.

Ashley and Daniella's match at Wimby was full of emotions and very memorable as well- maybe not shocking, but definately memorable....

Caz
Oct 9th, 2003, 09:29 AM
At this years Eastbroune qualifying, during her loss to British Amanda Janes, a very frustrated Magui Serna stopped, glared at some old people who were talking (but not that loudly) in the crowd and personally shouted, "Silence, please" at them.

Has anyone metioned when the then Anna Smashnova hit a spectator whilst aiming a ball at, I think it was her opponents boyfriend, at Wimbledon a few years back and narrowly avoided being disqualified after she immediately burst into tears.

esqumaux
Oct 9th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Ahhhhh...the WTA Tour is such a soap opera!!! :worship: