PDA

View Full Version : YS: I don't know where it was discussed...

tenn_ace
Sep 2nd, 2003, 09:31 PM
can't find it... but I asked Dmitry whether he would play for Russia if he gets invitation and he said: We'll see...

US commentators talk about him as American, btw

tenn_ace
Sep 2nd, 2003, 09:37 PM
btw, his match against J van Lottum had the worst officiating...

the chair umpire looked like he was just out of the high school... then he made an obvious mistake. Van Lottum was serving, the ball got to the court and Van Lottum stopped playing (let should have been called)... the chair didn't see it and gave a point to Dmitry... The Dutch was arguing like crazy, samshed his racquet off the chair umpire chair, got a warning...

Then, about a set and a hald later, the chair umnpire made a bad (CLEAR!) overrule against Tursunov... Dmitry got so mad, he said to the chair: you're fricking idiot.... no wonder you never sit in that chair... if you wonna give that bad call bad to him, just say so.

then later in the same set, van Lottum was behaving like an ass... becoming prepared and unprepared when Dmitry was about to serve...

ugly, ugly match... at least, they shake hand at the end

ys
Sep 2nd, 2003, 09:40 PM
So he doesn't rule it out ( playing for Russia ).. Good..:)

the cat
Sep 5th, 2003, 03:56 PM
I think the Kremlin Cup should offer Dmitry Tursunov a wildcard into the Kremlin Cup. That might go a long way in getting Tursunov to want to represent Russia in the future.

And Russia does not have a power player besides Marat Safin. So they could use him. Russian men's tennis needs Dmitry Tursunov. American men's tennis doesn't.

ys
Sep 5th, 2003, 05:06 PM
I think the Kremlin Cup should offer Dmitry Tursunov a wildcard into the Kremlin Cup. That might go a long way in getting Tursunov to want to represent Russia in the future.

You are a mindreader...:) he said in his interview that he would be coming to Moscow for Kremlin Cup , because his family still lives in Moscow, but he is not sure whether he'll play because he is not ranked high enough.

Just give him the damn WC, whom else do you have to offer? Four top Russians will make it to the main draw anyway, others so far proved to be useless. This guy can be a part of future Russian team. But you know what, men's WCs at Kremlin Cup seemed to be used as a sort of hard currency for organizers, especially qualy WCs, which used to be given to very strange players of very strange level.

tenn_ace
Sep 5th, 2003, 05:19 PM
I think his WC depends on how much he wants to play for Russia... Russian TF are not fools, but they are not going to give it to someone, who is not sure whether he will ever play for Russia

ys
Sep 5th, 2003, 05:29 PM
I think his WC depends on how much he wants to play for Russia... Russian TF are not fools, but they are not going to give it to someone, who is not sure whether he will ever play for Russia
It needs a diplomatic approach. I do not think that direct bargaining would work from either side. RTF would not possibly be able to offer him more than USTA could, so it is not going to be a trade. He needs to be convinced that Russia needs him ,wants him and counts on him. Without Yevgeny, Russia is left with three players , two of which can't play well at all on hardcourts or indoors. So he will be a very logical part of the team.

the cat
Sep 5th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Dmitry Tursunov also intimated in a recent interview that he's not pleased with the Russian Tennis Federation and the United States Tennis Association. And I don't blame him. The USTA did not offer Tursunov a wildcard into the 2003 U.S. Open. He had to qualify. And those 3 qualifying matches had to take a toll on him by the time he played his third round match against Xavier Malisse. Oh how i would have loved to have seen Tursunov play Andy Roddick in the round of 16 at the U.S. open. But it didn't happen. :(

From what I've seen of Tursunov he can be a top 20 player. He has weapons and a calm demeanor on the court that seems to be Russian made! :D

If Shamil Tarpischev does not offer Dmitry Tursunov a wild card into the 2003 Kremlin Cup then there is somehting wrong. He has spent less time in America than Anna Kournikova and Maria Sharapova have. They have stayed Russian citizens. I don't see why Tursunov won't remain a Russian citizen, too. But he has to wanted by the Russian tennis Federation.

Even if Dmitry Tursunov was already an American citizen I don't think he would even have an outside chance to play on the American Davis Cup and Olympic teams next year or in the near future. But he could be playing on the Russian Davis Cup team nexT year. And maybe even the Olympic team, too, if his ranking improves enough and Yevgeny Kafelnikov retires.

One thing Tursunov has to do is stop relying on playing challengers. Challengers can only take a tennis player so far. It's time for Tursunov to concentrate on ATP tournaments. And I hope the tournament in St. Petersburg offers him a maindraw wildcard. The Kremlin Cup might do the same and offer him a maindraw wildcard. And if that happens, I don't think Dmitry Tursunov will representing America anytime soon. The Russian Tennis Federation has a real chance to keep Dmitry Tursunov playing for Russia. Will the RTF be proactive and lure him back with wildcards that he deserves?

fresh2flash
Sep 15th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Shamil Tarpische confirmed today that two wild cards for the men`s event will be given to Tursunov and Andreev.

ys
Sep 15th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Makes sense. the only two serious talents on the horizon. Isn't Lina's brother already old enough to play at least qualies? Or is he successfull at all?

ys
Sep 15th, 2003, 05:34 PM
In a sense, roddick's success played into our hands. Should Roddick have flopped like Fish or Blake, they would be looking around for new talents. Now they have someone to worship and would not care. So, Tursunov can be convinced easier.

the cat
Sep 15th, 2003, 08:11 PM
I'm glad Dmitry Tursunov got a maindraw wildcard into the Kremlin Cup. Now the pressure is on for him to play well in Moscow.

ys, even even if Andy Roddick had lost in the first or second round at the 2003 U.S. Open, which was a distinct possibility given his tough opponents, how would that have benefited Tursunov? Roddick, Fish, Blake, Ginepri and Vahaly are all farther along than Tursunov in the rankings and in the eyes of the USTA. And Tursunov would be probably be considered an outsider by that group even if he became an American citizen and was considered for any of the American national tennis teams. But I do think Tursunov has an upside on a par with Fish. :) And perhaps the wildcard into the Kremlin Cup maindraw is the first step in bringing Tursunov back into the Russian tennis fold. The next step is to invite Tursunov to a Davis Cup tie as a player or a practice player.

If Shamil Tarpischev can add to Dmitry Tursunov into the young mix of Marat Safin, Mikhail Youzhny and Nickolay Davedenko, then Russia could have a team that could win the Davis Cup next year. Safin and Tursunov would be the power players while Youznhy and Daveydenko would be the finesse players. And Russia probably will probably still have Yevgeny Kafelnikov around next year to play doubles on the Russian Davis Cup team. I think those 5 players would make an excellent Russian Davis Cup team for next year. I hope it happens.

As for Lina Kransnoroutskaya's little brother Alexander, I'm not sure how he's doing. TheBoiedEgg would be better equiped to answer that.

Lady
Sep 16th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Shamil Tarpichev is not a fool at all so I think heļl do his best to keep Dmitry playing for Russia!
Giving Kremlin Cup wild card is the right step towards it :D

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 16th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Makes sense. the only two serious talents on the horizon. Isn't Lina's brother already old enough to play at least qualies? Or is he successfull at all?

he's just turned 16 in June
he's not ready yet....... still a boy

he's only played 1 event and that was a futures

ys
Sep 25th, 2003, 12:29 AM
It looks like something didn't work out between them. Today Shamil didn't even mention Tursunov as a WC candidate, saying that WCs are between Andreev, Stolyarov and Kunitsyn..

tenn_ace
Sep 25th, 2003, 04:49 AM
what happened is what I suggested would happen... the guy is about to get his US citizenship... why in the world would he play for Russia?

ys
Sep 25th, 2003, 05:07 AM
what happened is what I suggested would happen... the guy is about to get his US citizenship... why in the world would he play for Russia?

Do you know or are you just guessing?

fresh2flash
Sep 25th, 2003, 09:11 AM
We don`t know all the details. Perhaps he just refused to go here. :(

tenn_ace
Sep 25th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Do you know or are you just guessing?

educated guess... based on his reaction to my question at the US Open.

the cat
Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:10 PM
Dmitry Tursunov needs to test his game and abilities against better competition. It's time for him to leave the challengers and play the ATP Tour next year. He has the game to be a top 20 player. But does he have the desire to be a top 20 player?

When I saw that Tursunov was playing a challenger in San Antonio the week before the Kremlin Cup I was shocked! :eek: I figured he had decided not to play the Kremlin Cup. But his family could have seen him play tennis in his hometown of Moscow. But he chose not to play in Moscow. The question is, why? He did win that challenger. But he should be playing the ATP Tour now, not the challengers.

Udachi Dmitry! :bounce: