PDA

View Full Version : Do you think its inconcievable to see Elena as a slam condender?

Dava
Sep 2nd, 2003, 06:24 PM
I was thinking and she has done sooo mcuh in her career, at 21 its already a success.

> An Olympic medaltist

> Top 10 player

> Winner of a major WTA tour title

> Qualified for the world champs more time then I can think of

The only thing left is to find more success in slams! Does anyone think now is the time for Alyona to take the next step?

the cat
Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:32 PM
Elena Dementieva could become a grand slam contender if she improves her dreadful second serve. Her second serve was not a big problem a couple of years ago. But it's crippling her game now. :(

vaiva
Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:52 PM
The only thing left is to find more success in slams! Does anyone think now is the time for Alyona to take the next step?

Is it really the only thing left? And what is 'more success in slams'? Winning one or reaching the 2nd week of every slam she enters?

However, it is irrelevant what we think. Even if 656565432154 of us will decide she has to take that next step, nothing will change.

Btw, does she have problems with the right shoulder? I've noticed her rotating it too often before serving

Dava
Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:08 PM
Yes I notice it to, but her action on the second serve is diffrent to that of the first.

JLDementieva
Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:18 PM
If she doesn't improve that serve, she will never be able to take that next step. Capriati was just killing that little weak serve yesterday!

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:25 PM
next step is to move up to the next level
regularly making and winning finals

Good example to follow Novotna and Tauziat(ok she never won a slam) were pretty useless until late in careers.

vaiva
Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:28 PM
If she doesn't improve that serve, she will never be able to take that next step

Do you think Aliona is so stupid and does not realise it herself?

JLDementieva
Sep 2nd, 2003, 09:22 PM
well no, I'm just saying that's what she needs to improve (I'm sure we all know that) if she wants take that step!

the cat
Sep 5th, 2003, 04:09 PM
MrsTBE, if Elena was so smart she would have done something about her weak serve. Like hire a professional coach who could teach her a proper service motion and technique. Does the name Nick Bollettieri ring a bell? How about Robert Lansdorp? He works with Maria Sharapova and Anastasia Myskina. Or maybe Pavel Slozil could help her. The excellent tennis coaches are out there. But the quesation is will Elena ask her mother to step aside as coach so a professional tennis coach can help her?

And MrsTBE, Elena is constantly rotating and shaking loose her right shoulder. Why? Because of her service motion and extreme slice serve.

ys
Sep 5th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Could you please leave along her serve? Are Petrova, Zvonareva or Myskina getting broken any less than her? Her second serve is not a weapon, but it is not more of a liability than the second serve of any other Russian player or players like Hingis? Her second serve is not getting killed by any players except for probably Davenport. Because it looks ugly, it doesn't mean it is worse than teh second serve of other players.

If I would have to choose which single improvement I would prefer to see at her game out of these list:

- weak second serve
- technical problems on backhand side when playing on fast courts
- lack of tactical variety
- lack of skills in handling high balls
- net play

"Second serve" would be last or maybe next to last in terms of priority.

the cat
Sep 5th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Yes ys, Elena has alot to work on. Including hitting lobs and high balls. You've perfectly outline her weaknesses. Maybe you should coach Elena! ;)

I think Elena's weak second serve takes precedence because it has a negative domino effect on the rest of her game. :( Elena will often slice her second serve in and immediately take a step or two back to prepare for her opponent crushing her second serve. That's not the way for a superior physical specimen like Elena to play. And I know other players have weak second serves. But Elena shouldn't have this problem because she's almost 6' tall. And tennis experts are amazed that her second serve has become such a problem for her. I don't remember Elena's second serve being such a problem in her game from 1999 to 2002. What happened? Who told Elena to drastically slice her second serve like she does? I think Elena has top 5 potential. If Jelena Dokic and Daniela Hantuchova can make the top 5 then Elena can, too. She's bigger, faster and stronger than both Dokic and Hantuchova. But they have made it to the top 5 and have won Tier 1 tournaments. Elena hasn't. Maybe I'm off base. But I think Elena Dementieva still has a big upside! think if Elena can correct or improve her second serve problem she could win a grand slam singles title in her career. :D I think at some point Elena will make a serious run at the Australian Open or U.S. Open titles. :bounce: But she will have to have improved her second serve by then. Her backhand has come a long way the last couple of years. Now her second serve and overheads needs to improve. And if she makes those improvements Elena will become an elite tennis player and a grand slam title contender! :clap2:

ALPHA
Sep 5th, 2003, 08:20 PM
[. . .]

If I would have to choose which single improvement I would prefer to see at her game out of these list:

- weak second serve
- technical problems on backhand side when playing on fast courts
- lack of tactical variety
- lack of skills in handling high balls
- net play

"Second serve" would be last or maybe next to last in terms of priority.

Out of the above mentioned list - in my opinion - the 2nd serve is the least difficult to work on and to improve. Since Dementieva is the kind of player with a shotmaker mentality, the menthal part of what is to improve on her 2nd serve is not as dominant anyway. The technical and tactical part (placement, spins and adjustmant to opponent's weaknesses and strenghts and adjustmant to different courts) is something you can work on easily in practice sessions. So ....

ys
Sep 5th, 2003, 09:00 PM
Out of the above mentioned list - in my opinion - the 2nd serve is the least difficult to work on and to improve. Since Dementieva is the kind of player with a shotmaker mentality, the menthal part of what is to improve on her 2nd serve is not as dominant anyway. The technical and tactical part (placement, spins and adjustmant to opponent's weaknesses and strenghts and adjustmant to different courts) is something you can work on easily in practice sessions. So ....

You could be right. But my observation is that against majority of opponents Elena has no problem dictating the points, she has clear problem finishing the points, and that is where improved net play and more confident overhead would really help.

theprophe
Sep 6th, 2003, 12:41 AM
If the 2nd serve is the least to work on, why has it sucked so bad? Her overall game is great to bad she has a second serve that belongs at club play