PDA

View Full Version : Vera Z. needs some serious professional help...

tenn_ace
Sep 1st, 2003, 09:05 PM
I mean maybe not a coach, but a sports psychologist ...

I saw two of her matches at the US Open... First, she (and her partner) lost a mixed doubles match. They were up in the super tie break (8-5) and then lost 5 points in a row. I knew she'd be dissapointed (after all it's Vera!), but I couldn't imagine that she'd be crying like that. She looked like she just lost Wimbledon final. And the thing is, it was not just her fault. Her partner (Joshua Eagle) didn't make couple of easy shots (especially the one to take a lead 9-8). Her coach (Yulia) was there after the match, but instead of her saying to Vera to stop that childish stuff, Yulia was behaving like she needed someone to comfort her. C'mon Vera! This is just an exhibition! Why would you want to waste your emotions when you have to play an important match the next day???

Next day it was even worse. She is up 2-0 in the third set, losing next three games. The next two games after that were just tanked. She was hitting in an obvious anger, rushing so much that Meg didn't have enough time even to walk from the ad to deuce court (let alone use a towel or take a breath)... What's more is that Vera was pretty mean to ball kids and THAT turned the crowd away even more from her. Even a dedicated fan like myself was disgusted with Vera's behaviour.

C'mon, Vera, get a grip! Your idiotic chlidish emotions cost you matches and crowd support. Get a good professional help...

tenn_ace
Oct 24th, 2003, 02:02 PM
I hope Vera finds a good sports psychologist asap...

Warrior
Oct 24th, 2003, 06:28 PM
I knew that most Russian women need professional help. Certainly after reading your post I realize that Vera is the one that needs it the most. I hope that her couch is wise enough to direct her to a sports psychologist.

ys
Oct 24th, 2003, 06:33 PM
It looks like Vera is gradually over those tantrums.. I think she wilb OK. This tournament is going to be the best test for her about whether she is capable of playing under big pressure on day-to-day basis.

tenn_ace
Oct 24th, 2003, 06:43 PM
considering what people, who saw the match, were saying, it's not the case...

I'm sure she doesn't even know that her behaviour is so distructive to her game.

the cat
Oct 24th, 2003, 06:50 PM
I love Vera's passion, fire and desire! :bounce: But she needs to learn how to channel her energy and emotions. Otherwise she will continue to lose her cool and behave negatively in matches and lose matches she shouldn't lose. I hope Vera learns how to control her emotions. But I like how Vera has emotion and plays with a passion. :D I just hope can can learn to walk the fine line between playing fired up and playing angry and beating herself.

tenn_ace
Oct 25th, 2003, 02:46 AM
I love Vera's passion, fire and desire! :bounce: But she needs to learn how to channel her energy and emotions. Otherwise she will continue to lose her cool and behave negatively in matches and lose matches she shouldn't lose. I hope Vera learns how to control her emotions. But I like how Vera has emotion and plays with a passion. :D I just hope can can learn to walk the fine line between playing fired up and playing angry and beating herself.

and that's where the sports psychologist comes in... to help identify and understand the issue and to solve it. the sooner the better.

ys
Oct 25th, 2003, 03:11 AM
I think she is doing just fine. She is growing up, and doing it quicker than she is doing it could result in burnout or some other shit. I can't think of any other Russian player who I would be following for 3-4 seasons, and every single season of this four resulted in steady progress. As long as she is steadily getting better, I don't think we are entitled to any judgement. her managerial/coaching team seems to be the smartest among all Russians, and if some of Russians is going to win GS any time soon, I think it is her.

goldenlox
Nov 18th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Maybe Vera is playing the first match because in this format, we will know if Vera reacts positively to coaching during a match.
If she explodes again, it may hurt her chances of making the Olympic team.

the cat
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Vera must be hurting so much after lsoing 2 Fed Cup semifinal matches. :sad: But she must put this behind her and get ready for 2004. I think Vera will make a serious run at the top ten in 2004. :D

Udachi Vera in 2004! :bounce: