PDA

View Full Version : Could Martina Hingis coach Anna K and STILL play tennis?

Dawn Marie
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:45 AM
I was wondering first of all has an active player EVER coached another player while they were on tour? Second of all Anna it seems listens to Hingis during their doubles play and is focused on the court. I was wondering could it really be possible for Hingis to be Anna's coach and Still play tennis? I know this may seem like a silly question, but it popped in my head a few days back.. and I was wondering what you tennis fans think about my questions?

Vanity
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:46 AM
Well, I know that's the type of relationship Lori McNeil has with Amanda Coetzer.. but then again Lori only plays doubles now, so I don't think it's quite the same. I think Melanie coaching Anna would probably work out... but Martina coaching Anna is definately a very interesting thought! :)

Dawn Marie
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:50 AM
Lori only plays singles and Amanda hasn't really struggled with many other coaches. Where as Anna has had trouble. I really think Hingis would be a GREAT coach for Anna. Hingis is the kind of player who can STILL play great tennis and be a coach on the side and help Anna with her mental game and so forth? It just seems Anna really looks up to Martina and would do wonderful under her coaching guidence.

Linton
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:51 AM
It would be very interesting. If Melanie or Martina may coach anna, Im sure Anna will play respectivley like martina.

veryborednow
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:53 AM
Doesn't Martina have enough problems of her own?!!

I think Martina's mum should take up coaching Anna K and let someone else sort out Martina's serve. That would work better.

PS. Your questions are fine :)

Vanity
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:56 AM
I have to agree with you dawn... I know Anna playing doubles with Martina really does help her out a lot.. it'd be interesting to see what would happen if Martina would coach Anna. But will it happen? I'm not sure...

I think Martina's mum should take up coaching Anna K and let someone else sort out Martina's serve.

I think that would also work well! Melanie is not just a figure head parent coach, from what I read, she knows her stuff!

Bright Red
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:56 AM
Being great at tennis doesn't necessarily ensure being great at coaching. Even if Hingis had the time to coach Anna, it's not guaranteed that Hingis would be much help.

Hingis seems like a really natural talent. So she would probably either be unable to point out all that Anna needs to do to improve, or get frustated at Anna's deficiencies. This would happen because there is probably so much Hingis takes for granted.

Last point. It seems like it would be inappropriate for Hingis to coach her competition. Anna would probably see a serious conflict of interest.

Jordan.
Feb 3rd, 2002, 04:01 AM
Melanie should coach Anna...:rolleyes:

auntie janie
Feb 3rd, 2002, 04:01 AM
LOL!!!

I think the relationship between Anna and Martina works well because Martina is the clear Tennis Queen Bee of the two. If Martina coached Anna, Anna might then BEAT Martina, get a higher ranking than Martina, and then we'd have another screaming, crying, and flower-throwing incident on our hands! :eek:

Better to let sleeping dogs lie, as they say! But thanks for the laughs! :D :D :D

Although, come to think of it, the drama sounds like it might be pretty fun to witness! :cool:

Dawn Marie
Feb 3rd, 2002, 04:03 AM
I tend to really think that Hingis would be a better coach for Anna then Melanie. It seems Anna listens to Hingis and feels comfortable around her. I think it would work.

Then when Anna gets to Hingis's level they can both Rig their matches. Heck maybe Hingis will let Anna finally win a tourney? Joking of course.:) Seriously Hingis could do wonders for her.. at least until she gets to that next level.:)

Fingon
Feb 3rd, 2002, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by Bright Red
Being great at tennis doesn't necessarily ensure being great at coaching. Even if Hingis had the time to coach Anna, it's not guaranteed that Hingis would be much help.

Hingis seems like a really natural talent. So she would probably either be unable to point out all that Anna needs to do to improve, or get frustated at Anna's deficiencies. This would happen because there is probably so much Hingis takes for granted.

Last point. It seems like it would be inappropriate for Hingis to coach her competition. Anna would probably see a serious conflict of interest.

I couldn't agree more. I remember once a tennis teacher that used to post in the old wtaboard said that she told their students not to try to imitate Martina Hingis as they wouldn't be able to do what she does. I don't think Martina can teach to play like she does and I don't think she can see tennis any other way.

There are many examples, Justine Henin never was taught how to hit the backhand, Goran Ivanisevic never was taught how to serve and the two are probably the best in their category in today's tennis.

Martina can't teach the court sense, anticipation, shot selection, she could probably help a little with technique in some shots.

Although, she doesn't seem to have the type of personality a coach must have. Being a good player doesn't make you a good coach and you can be a good coach being a bad player.

Volcana
Feb 3rd, 2002, 05:09 AM
Coaching during matches isn't allowed, and that's where Anna needs her.

auntie janie
Feb 3rd, 2002, 05:36 AM
I think Martina would be an excellent coach AFTER her career ends, though I don't think she will opt for that. I think she could be a fantastic tennis commentator, and that's what I hope she will do someday, and in the US, please!

RYNJ
Feb 3rd, 2002, 05:37 AM
I think Anna should get Brad Gilbert as a coach, look what he did for Andre, why not Anna.

auntie janie
Feb 3rd, 2002, 05:57 AM
I don't think Brad would take that job unless Alla promises to keep her distance.:eek:

But yes, he would be a great help.

destructo_girl
Feb 3rd, 2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Dawn Marie
"Anna it seems listens to Hingis during their doubles play and is focused on the court."

"I really think Hingis would be a GREAT coach for Anna. Hingis is the kind of player who can STILL play great tennis and be a coach on the side and help Anna with her mental game and so forth? It just seems Anna really looks up to Martina and would do wonderful under her coaching guidence."

"I tend to really think that Hingis would be a better coach for Anna then Melanie. It seems Anna listens to Hingis and feels comfortable around her. I think it would work."I agree with all these points.
I remember watching them play doubles, and they seemed to be talking about Anna's backhand. And Martina looked like she was coaching Anna, and suggesting where to hit it.
Anna returns a backhand down the line, and she's like "thats what I should be doing, right?" and Martina's like "Good one, girl!"

Dawn is a great poster, when she's not bagging out Hingis.

Kart
Feb 3rd, 2002, 10:24 AM
I think Martina should never coach Anna - she'd know all of Anna's weaknesses and Anna would never be able to beat her.

Plus, can you imagine the conflict of interest and the tension when they played each other on court ?

It wouldn't be nice ...

peanuts
Feb 3rd, 2002, 10:25 AM
martina may or may not be a good coach but c'mon guys, don't u think anna's pride would keep her from making martina her coach, its true dat their friends...but somehow i think it'll be better if martina's mom coach anna because one of d weakness in her game is tactics...and molitor is pretty good at that...

it wouldn't hurt if martina gives anna a tip once in a while like wat she does in their doubles match...

:) :wavey:

Fingon
Feb 3rd, 2002, 11:59 AM
Imagine that Anna is beating Martina, then Martina starts coaching Anna during the match, from the other side of the net.

As coaching during matches isn't allowed, Anna gets a warning, so Martina keeps coaching her until Anna gets penalised a point and so on until either Anna breaks down or is disqualified :eek: :eek:

destructo_girl
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:32 PM
LOL @ Fingon! :D

That'd be a funny sitch.

But seriously, I think Martina might be the only person Anna listens to. ;)

That'd be so sweet.

Jessica02
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:37 PM
LMAO @ this whole thread.

Maybe Anna was secretly coaching Martina at Wimbledon last year.

destructo_girl
Feb 3rd, 2002, 04:04 PM
ohhh, thats not nice. Anna rocks too.

marshmellow
Feb 3rd, 2002, 04:30 PM
ohmigosh....lol@fingon http://www.contrabandent.com/cwm/s/kao/otn/pclapping.gif

i seriously doubt martina's gonna be coaching anna...ever...

sartrista7
Feb 3rd, 2002, 07:03 PM
lol@Fingon

Interesting question... it'll never happen, and the point about great players not being great coaches is valid, but playing with Hingis in doubles does seem to bring out the best in Anna. Trouble is, as Volcana pointed out, Anna needs coaching DURING the match. She has all the shots, just not the focus/mental toughness.

Aloysius
Feb 3rd, 2002, 07:18 PM
No way! We'd be seeing more than just vases being thrown if that were to happen. ;)

IMO, the Hingis camp has already been way too nice in terms of helping other players out (Kournikova, Dokic, Capriati, Schnyder, and Bedanova to name a few) by letting them train with her.

auntie janie
Feb 3rd, 2002, 07:41 PM
ROFL @ FINGON!! :D :D :D

That is the definitely the funniest post I have read since the old WTA boards "World's Shortest Tennis Books" thread! :wavey: :) :D :cool: :angel: :hearts: :kiss:

apoet29
Feb 3rd, 2002, 07:52 PM
While I agree with everyone that Anna needs her own personal coach, I don't think Martina Hingis should be that person. Hingis has her own career to worry about at this point in time and while there is nothing wrong with her practicing or helping Anna to a certain degree, she needs to take care of herself first. I'm sure Martina has goals for what she wants to accomplish in her own tennis career and coaching another player is an added responsibility that Hingis does not need while she is still pursuing these goals.

I think a female coach though is a great idea for Anna since she does not seem to have a good relationship with male coaches. I think perhaps a retired champion like Zina Garrison or Gabby Sabitini or even someone like Aranxta Sanchez-Vicario (when she retires) would be perfect for Anna. I think ASV would be a great coach for Anna for a number of reasons. First, she has accomplished a great deal as a tennis player. 29 singles titles (including 4 slams), 61 doubles titles (6 doubles slams and 4 mixed doubles slams), she is a well respected veteran with a versatile game, she seems to enjoy playing tennis and mentoring younger players (Hantuchova and Sidot).

I think Anna would really respect the advice of a tour veteran like Garrison, Sanchez-Vicario or Sabitini. However, I think that coach should be someone who does not have a vested interest in competing and pursuing their own goals on the court. That is why I do not believe Hingis or Sanchez-Vicario (until she retires) would be a good coach for Anna at this point.

BTW, for those of you interested in seeing the ESPn Sexiest athlete award show, it will be on tonight @ 5 pm.

Fingon
Feb 3rd, 2002, 09:16 PM
I agree that ASV would probably be a excellent coach.

She is probably the smartest player out there, it's amazing how, being in physical inferiority, she could use the tinniest opponent's weakness in her favour. She really understands the game and the players and that could make her a good coach.

Zamboni
Feb 3rd, 2002, 09:28 PM
I think it's going well now the way it is.
Martina and Anna are sometimes training with each other, and then Melanie is coaching both.
Plus Martina seems to help Anna during double matches.

I think this might help Anna.

Martina coaching Anna can't be a serious option while they're both playing singles.