PDA

View Full Version : Who WON'T win the French Open?

Jakeev
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:03 AM
Well since everyone is already on the "who will win" bandwagon when the year hasn't even started yet, I want to know who you think won't win the French Open this year?;)

I say nobody from France yet......sorry........or Cuba, Senegal, Portugal or Albania.

Anyone else?

Bright Red
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:09 AM
One hundred and twenty-seven WTA players who will be entered in the draw.;)

saki
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:15 AM
And there are over a 1000 posters here who won't win either...

Tratree
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:16 AM
Pete Sampras

veryborednow
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:16 AM
Lindsay - I love her dearly, but she won't win it.

Vanity
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:17 AM
Venus, Serena and Lindsay (if she plays)

and anyone from Canada ;)

Venus+Serena#1fan
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:18 AM
i think the williams sisters have a great chance, lindsay probably wont win it though.

Bright Red
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:19 AM
...and over six billion people on the planet, not to mention any extra-terrestrial life that might be out there in the universe.

veryborednow
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:24 AM
Anyone British, unless Jennifer decides to do a Greg..... :p

Vanity
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:26 AM
Bright Red proves once again that he knows nothing about tennis. :p

Aci79
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:30 AM
lol

It is hard to say.

Big hitters have won it, so every single one has a chance.

It is all depends on their endurance.
Williams Sisters haven't had any success in France as well as the Australian, but the other big hitter, Jennifer has been able to pull the win, so.. it should be quite interesting.

As far as Martina..
She needs the lady of fortune ASAP!!!
She's looking great out there.. hopefully the luck is on her side so she can grab a title there.

TenPrincess02
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:32 AM
I don't think that Lindsay or either of the Williams sisters will win the Frech Open. Please, to all Williams fans, I have nothing against them, I just do not believe that their game is the best for clay. I do think that Jennifer has a great chance to defend her title, and also that Martina will be hungry for a win. If I had to pick now, I would say one of these two girls, but it is so far away that it is impossible to tell what kind of form anyone will be in at the time.

Bright Red
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Vanity:
Bright Red proves once again that he knows nothing about tennis.

I like you Vanity, and you're too smart to join my fan club. So you won't be added even though you constantly attack me for things I say about the players.

I must add though, that if you don't think the Williamses will win the French, then I might know ***Bright Red holds his index finger and thumb about 1 millimeter apart*** this much more than you about tennis.

Vanity
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:42 AM
Hey, this is based on facts. Those girls have done nothing to prove that they have a chance at the French Open. Neither have advanced past the quarterfinals. Venus has won clay court titles, but not Serena. Clay slows down their power and tests their patience. You have to think about the surface, Bright Red. I wouldn't say it if it weren't true.

Bright Red
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:44 AM
That may be true, Vanity. But Venus has won clay titles against good clay players. You must admit that. And Serena should have been in last year's FO semis. But she was sick.

I don't know if your position on this is that strong.

Vanity
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:47 AM
And Serena should have been in last year's FO semis. But she was sick.

I'm beginning to think you aren't serious about what you say, because when you pull off funny stuff like this it sure makes me giggle! :D

Bright Red
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:49 AM
Now if my memory serves me right, Serena was suffering from an upset stomach during that match (I could be confusing it with the AO 2001). But I'm thinking she took Pepto-Bismol or something around the time of that match.

Vanity
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:51 AM
Isn't she always suffering an upset stomach? She's a hypochondriac remember? :rolleyes:

Those Williams excuses wear a bit thin after awhile....

Anyway this isn't a thread about Venus/Serena so I draw the line here.

Bright Red
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:57 AM
And I won't cross the line either, Vanity. I quite enjoy our little exchanges.

Kart
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:20 AM
Serena complained of an upset stomach at the Wimbledon semis after Capriati staged a comeback, not the French open. At the French she wasn't injured, just seriously unfit (she has missed the entire clay court season) when compared to Capriati who outlasted her.

Who won't win the French open ?

Tim Henman (please) and Jelena Dokic.

Bright Red
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:22 AM
ty for the correction, Kart.

Fingon
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:23 AM
The list would be too long, so, we can have some selection criteria.

Who isn't going to win? Use the "and" operator

1) Any person who isn't a tennis player
2) Any tennis player who does not commit to the tournament
3) Any player whose ranking isn't high enough to qualify and does not receive a wild card
4) Any player who doesn't has to play qualifying and doesn't reach the final round. With the exception of eventual lucky losers
5) Any player who loses a match during the tournament.

Hope that helps :)

Vanity
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:23 AM
Thank you Kart, that was why I couldn't remember Serena complaining about her stomach at RG, because it never happened. Thanks for clearing that up :)

KoOlMaNsEaN
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:25 AM
I dont think Venus,Serena or anyone from Canada! I think Jelena Dokic has a chance at making the semis or quarters but she wont win yet!

Kart
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:30 AM
Hey VivalaSeles, I'd cheer for you if you entered :)

CC
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:46 AM
Hehe. I think there is some sort of secret courtship going on.;)

GrandSlammed
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:54 AM
The Williams have just as good, and maybe EVEN BETTER chances of winning Garros, as any other player.

Venus cameback in 2000, after being out injured for months... and got to the quarters of the French with little prep, losing to 3 time French Champ, Sanchez Vicario in three sets.

Serena got to the quarters last year, with NO preparation, losing in 3 sets to eventual Champion Capriati. So spare us this lack of "patience", and "slows down their power" sh!t .. cause it JUST AIN'T true. ;)

If this was any other player, you folks wouldn't be turning your noses up at quarter-final showings... you'd be raising the roof for another player. :rolleyes:

Bright Red... Richard Williams mentioned during the '00 French, that Serena wasn't at 100%. He said that her ankle was troubling her, as well as her knee. (Remember, she injured her knee at Key Biscayne that year).

http://www.amateurpundit.com/images/serena.jpghttp://www.amateurpundit.com/images/papawilliams.jpghttp://www.amateurpundit.com/images/venus.jpg

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:55 AM
i know i wont ;)

auntie janie
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:56 AM
I strongly believe that Anna Smashnova will NOT win the French Open.

Elke Clijsters will not win it, either.

Finally, I must dispute those who claim that Nathalie Tauziat is ripe for the Championship crown here!

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Bright Red
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by GrandSlammed:
Richard Williams mentioned during the '00 French, that Serena wasn't at 100%. He said that her ankle was troubling her, as well as her knee. (Remember, she injured her knee at Key Biscayne that year).

Thanks, GrandSlammed. I knew something was going on with Serena at the FO. She had the lead over the eventual champion, and she was injured. It's nice to know someone keeps up with tennis.

Kart
Feb 3rd, 2002, 02:10 AM
Actually if you want to be correct about it, Capriati led Serena before she won the second set. Serena may have led in the third but I don't remember.

In terms of her injury, there was no sign of it during that match and I don't seem to remember Serena saying anything about it - although I'm not denying she did. I give little credibility to anything Richard Williams says. She certainly wasn't limping or restricted in her movement, just out of breath and conditioning in that match.

However, I will concede that I feel sorry for Serena - because of that ridiculous fiasco at Indian Wells, she forced herself to play through her injury at Ericsson against Capriati (again !). If it wasn't for the week before, I'm convinced she would have retired from that match, saved herself further damage and at least maybe gotten better in time to have played Rome and get some clay preparation. So I suppose indirectly, her injury interfered with her performance in France.

Bright Red
Feb 3rd, 2002, 02:19 AM
Serena definitely blew a lead against Capriati, Kart. Of that, I am certain because I can remember my heart dropping as I watched the online scores change.

Indeed, you are entitled to have skepticism with regard to what Mr. Williams comments about the girls, but I have a lot of respect for him and his contribution to the game.

Personally, I believe he's the person most likely to know the injury status of his daughters (apart from the doctors/trainers). And I think Serena herself mentioned that she'd been plagued with injuries, too. I doubt either Mr. Williams or Serena would lie about it, and certainly not both of them. So imo, Serena was injured.

GrandSlammed
Feb 3rd, 2002, 02:41 AM
In terms of her injury, there was no sign of it during that match and I don't seem to remember Serena saying anything about it ....I give little credibility to anything Richard Williams says. She certainly wasn't limping or restricted in her movement, just out of breath and conditioning in that match.

Yeah... I know what you mean K. Capriati was wrapped up like a piping hot tamale for a match or two this past OZ, yet STILL managed to move about the court like the Tazmanian Devil. Will wonders ever cease. I believe she was injured, she said something about her hamstrings.. both were wrapped.... a least for a match.:rolleyes:

They asked her daddy Stefano about her fitness level... he responded... surprise, surprise, that JC wasn't at "100%."

matthias
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:26 AM
my grandmum will never win at roland garros, im sure ;)

Double Fault
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:55 AM
I think your Grandmother has a shot at it Matthias. :) My next door neighbour definitely will not win RG. She's in her 80's and thinks RG is a restaurant on the high street.

Jordan.
Feb 3rd, 2002, 04:03 AM
Venus,Serena,and Lindsay wont win it...

auntie janie
Feb 3rd, 2002, 04:54 AM
LOL @ Double Fault:D :D :D

Becool
Feb 3rd, 2002, 07:38 AM
I don't know who won't win, but after I saw in AO, I don't think Martina stand a chance :rolleyes:

~RedRose~
Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:22 AM
As much as talented Anna is .... Kournikova wont win!! Thats for sure!! -- :)

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:15 PM
The Williams wont win any slow surface court.
RG is no way for them to beat back to back good claycourters.
Even a slow hardcourt like AO, they cant win, how much more is the French?????

I would give Lindsay until next year for Roland Garros and if she dont win it, I will accept the fact that she will not ever win it.

saki
Feb 3rd, 2002, 06:38 PM
Lindsay won't win it. She just doesn't like the surface, and doesn't care about the tournament.

I would be suprised if Venus or Serena won it, but if either or both plays a few clay tournis and does well in them they have a chance. I think that Serena possibly has the better chance than Venus.

Anna won't win it either. She's a great talent, but she's not gonna win a Slam this year.

Jelena probably won't either, although I can see her making the final.

Princess Fiona
Feb 3rd, 2002, 07:09 PM
Anke Huber. :sad: :sad: How I miss her!

I refuse to rule myself out of contention - you never know! :p

shirley
Feb 3rd, 2002, 07:53 PM
Even though Lindsay is my fave player I don't think she'll ever win the French Open.

Others: The Williams Sisters, Anna Kournikova and any British players.

:bounce:

TeeRexx
Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:06 PM
Hingis - Won't do it in 2002; still shell shocked over the Oz final and 199 RG

Capriati - Will not win if she faces VENUS in the draw.

GrandSlammed
Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:52 PM
Jelena probably won't either, although I can see her making the final.

LOL! You'd be "surprised" if either Williams won it... but you somehow can "see" Jelena Dokic making the final????????
:confused:

I would give Lindsay until next year for Roland Garros and if she dont win it, I will accept the fact that she will not ever win it.

QUEENLINDSAY... your living in dream land with a crack habit on top of it. You amoung others are holding desperately to this, "slow surface", BS to use against the Williams,lol. Then you turn around in the same damn breath, and grant possibly the WORST mover on any surface, (Davenport), a chance to win it??? :rolleyes:

TeeRexx
Feb 3rd, 2002, 09:01 PM
GrandSlammed - Very good points, buddy! ;) :wavey:

saki
Feb 3rd, 2002, 09:15 PM
I think that Jelena has the potential to be a very good clay court player. That's why I wouldn't be suprised if she made the final. Barring injury, she's certain to play enough warmup events too.

Whereas Venus & Serena are a bit more of an unknown quantity on clay. I'm not saying that either won't win it, but as I said before only if they play and do well in the clay season.

Jordan.
Feb 3rd, 2002, 10:35 PM
:rolleyes: @ Bernardo...:mad:

RockSteady
Feb 3rd, 2002, 11:17 PM
Some notes on the QF match at Roland Garros last year -

Serena never lead. Capriati won the first set, and was close to CRUSHING serena 6-3 6-3 or something before Serena leveled the match. The last set was a 6-2 blow out. Despite the fact that it was a three-setter, Serena never stood a chance.

Some of you Williams fans need to be a little bit more realistic. Venus or Serena winning the French? Stranger things have happened, but they are the last top-10 players I'd put my money on.

GrandSlammed
Feb 3rd, 2002, 11:50 PM
Serena never lead. Capriati won the first set, and was close to CRUSHING serena 6-3 6-3 or something before Serena leveled the match.

Serena had 2- 0 first set and ... a double fault.. and a lucky net cord, JC got 0-30. Serena got back to 30-30, commited two unforced errors, JC broke back, and went on to win the set. Serena won the 2nd set 7/5, AND even had a chance to lead in the third set. Capriati won the match at 6/2, 7/5, 6/2. Serena was able to pull JC to a third set... which is MORE than can be said for Hingis... isn't it?? That's the match the word CRUSHING is best used for. Capriati beat Hingis in straight sets... NEVER breaking a sweat.:p

Vanity
Feb 3rd, 2002, 11:54 PM
I'm thinking Grandslammed should try to achieve something herself instead of worrying about other people's accomplishments so much. :rolleyes:

Bright Red
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by RockSteady:
Serena never lead..[during the QF match against JCap at RG 2001].

I really believe Serena led briefly in the 3rd set. It's neither here nor there anymore. Jennifer won. And even if Serena held no lead, my point was that she was injured during the match.

Vanity
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:03 AM
Bright Red once again shows how little he knows about tennis.

RockSteady
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:04 AM
Capriati beat Hingis in straight sets... NEVER breaking a sweat.

Funny, I don't remember anyone mentioning Martina Hingis. And I'm not getting into another Williams vs. Hingis war, so don't bother.

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:06 AM
I think anyone in the top ten has a chance to win this thing. First of all you automatically count the past winners, then the finalists and semi-finalists. After that, anyone who has won clay court titles can be factored in. Last but not least, I think preparation is the key. Clay is the most drastic change of surfaces and without proper prep I dont think one stands a chance, but I could be wrong.

so to sum it up, if they put the practice and match time in prior to the FO I believe even Lindsay could muscle her way into the finals and take it.

To discount anyone in the top ten is just ridiculous, I mean martina has how many mental breakdowns at the FO, yet she is still a factor to win.

Bright Red
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:10 AM
Hi Vanity. You look a little tired. Did you stay out late partying?

Vanity
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:11 AM
:p

I don't wanna waste any more time on you than I have to ;)

Bright Red
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:14 AM
You may as well waste your time. You sure are wasting enough of everyone else's.

Vanity
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:16 AM
Oooooh diss.... :p

It's just that your posts are too predictable. First, you argue with something someone says, or somebody argues with what you say. Then, you ramble on and on about something that has nothing to do with the original issue, then you end up saying you've "won" and then a reference to your "fan club". It's pretty bad that I have you figured out already :p

Bright Red
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:21 AM
Yada, yada, yada. I knew you couldn't resist wasting your time with me. Don't you just love me?:kiss:

Vanity
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:23 AM
LOL
I'm assuming you got the name "Bright Red" from your head being stuck in your ass so much.

Why do I always fall for arrogance? :p

btw, who's the klump in your avatar? it's been bugging me!

Bright Red
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:24 AM
...and seeing how you are the one who initiated dialogue with me this morning, dearest Vanity, you must find me compelling. True, you may not be in my fan club, but you sure are acting like one of my groupies.

Jordan.
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:24 AM
:rolleyes:

Vanity
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:25 AM
That's what I'm thinking too, Jordan :rolleyes:

Becool
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:32 AM
RockSteady, the Williams sisters cannot have a chance in RG, but do you think Hingis have???

She can do finals, but I don't think she'll take it...

Just use AO 2002 as exemple.... I guess chances like that won't come more for Hingis. She wasted a great chance there, and I don't think she'll have another like that in RG, which she always have problems in the decisive rounds due RG 99.. :rolleyes:

IMHO, Venus and Serena has more chances than her, cause of this factor. :o

Originally posted by RockSteady :

Some of you Williams fans need to be a little bit more realistic. Venus or Serena winning the French? Stranger things have happened, but they are the last top-10 players I'd put my money on.

Sonja
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:37 AM
Well it won't be Monique Viele :p

Vanity
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:39 AM
Hehehehehe... good one Sonja ;)

Jordan.
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:42 AM
GRRRRRR!BERNARDO!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Jordan.
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:43 AM
Hey Vanity,what do you really think of Bright Red?:confused: :rolleyes:

Jakeev
Feb 4th, 2002, 02:24 AM
Ohhh lets not pic on Monique right now she has a lot to worry about besides tennis!

CanIGetAWhat
Feb 4th, 2002, 02:45 AM
if Mary Pierce (a powerplayer who doesn't have the best mobility) can win Roland Garros, then I believe Venus or Serena have a good chance, maybe not this year, but in the future :)

who won't win it...the person who loses to the champion ;)

Crazy Canuck
Feb 4th, 2002, 04:54 AM
"If this was any other player, you folks wouldn't be turning your noses up at quarter-final showings... you'd be raising the roof for another player. "

Grandslammed - some people may detract from what Venus and Serena HAVE done on clay because they are haters.

Most however, are likely just looking at their clay results, compared to their hardcourt results.

On hardcourts, they are almost unbeatable.

However on clay, they become more vulnerable and are no longer necesarily the stand out best players.

That is to say - that Hingis for example, has shown WAY more on clay then either WIlliams sister does. Much like, I'm not about to bet Hingis will beat Venus at Wimbledon.

It makes sense that people put less faith in them on clay, then on hardourt. On any surface they are good players, but not AS incredible.

Its not an insult.

That said - personally I can see a Williams sister winning it.

Sonja
Feb 4th, 2002, 08:29 AM
I was just speaking the truth. That had NO relevance to her personal situation whatsoever.

IAM#1
Feb 4th, 2002, 10:31 AM
I agree.. Any of the top 10 players can win Roland Garros in 2002.. I am a huge Williams' fan and I feel that anyone can win it. I liked Dokic's chances.. if she goes into the tournament like she did last year she has a good chance.. Monica is playing well.... If Kournikova is to win one this might be it.. Her style of play, her great feel, and horrible serve might help her.. Hingis has a mental barrier to contend with when she plays Davenport, Williams's Sisters, and Capriati.. She must stand clear of them until finals to win. Serena needs to improve her slice a bit more and she is there.. One thing I noticed about Capriati is that when someone brings her to the net she hits a deep slice which puts her opponents off balance a great shot on clay. Capriati has a good chance even though I do not care for her.. If Venus can focus focus focus and stay healthy who knows what the Queen can pull off... Davenport needs to get rid of the mental barrier she could advance pretty far. I think a BIG BABE WILL finally win it this year... My pic... Venus

Jakeev
Feb 5th, 2002, 02:30 AM
Sonja I totally agree with you and I am a big critic of her marketing when she has done nothing. I guess I just kind of feel bad because of her father.

Oh and folks who keep mentioning Lindsay yeah she won't win the French this year but that's because I doubt she will even return until the grass-court season starts anyway.

c2
Feb 5th, 2002, 03:30 AM
Jakeev is right about Lindsay.. .but remember tennis fans, not to count her out in the future! The prevailing wisdom (if you could call it that) was that Lindsay would never win Wimbledon because of her lack of mobility, style of play, blah blah blah. (Grass slowed down her power too much, etc.) Guess what? WRONG-o. So she might be injured this year... but don't count out the TOWER OF POWER for good! :)

Jakeev
Feb 5th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Wow great to see such support for Lindsay C2. That is one thing her critics always like to do, count her out.

But one of the reasons why she is my fav is because she does her talking with her raquet.

But I really do hope in 2003 she will have one full clay-court season.

c2
Feb 5th, 2002, 05:33 AM
I would love that too, Jakeev. Seeing her get her career "golden slam" (is that the term for winning all four slams ?) would be GREAT! I love LD because she keeps it "on the down low." ;) Success is always the best statement a player can make.

:D

GrandSlammed
Feb 5th, 2002, 06:24 AM
CanIGetaWhat:
if Mary Pierce (a powerplayer who doesn't have the best mobility) can win Roland Garros, then I believe Venus or Serena have a good chance

There you go CIW!!:) Pierce is one of the biggest hitters in the game, but not the most agile. The sisters have both power and mobility in overflowing quantity, sooo I suggest that folks don't waste their time running off at the mouth, about what these two phenomenal athletes CAN'T do...

http://www.venusandserena.homestead.com/files/pic42.JPGhttp://www.venusandserena.homestead.com/files/munichquarter2.JPG

RockSteady
Feb 5th, 2002, 06:27 AM
:rolleyes:

When I see the results, then I'll give them some credit.

GrandSlammed
Feb 5th, 2002, 11:36 AM
When I see the results, then I'll give them some credit.

They could win Garros a dozen times between them, and you would still spit in their direction.:rolleyes:

...so get a back bone and be upfront with your TRUE reasons for disliking the Williams , and stop hiding behind "results" ...

Adrian
Feb 5th, 2002, 11:42 AM
If anyone wants to know how to dislike a player, just go into almost any thread about Hingis (some not even to do with her), and look at Grandslammed's posts, the hate spewing forth is amazing...

and you dare judge others :rolleyes:

Jakeev
Feb 6th, 2002, 07:24 PM
You know the purpose of this thread was to kind of poke fun who at the "who will win threads" that just drive me nuts when events like Paris are not quite around the corner.

But, I surprises me how many people here do not think at least Venus is a contender for the title this year.

Serena thus far has not proven she has a lot of clay-court game in her quite yet, but Venus has got to be considered a fav in Paris is she is not injured.

Jakeev
Feb 14th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Sorry bout bringing this back but in light of the latest poll I had to do it......

TeeRexx
Feb 14th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Jakeev, it isn't that some people do not think that VENUS can win at Roland Garos, they do not want VENUS to win at RG. :eek: :p

tfannis
Feb 14th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Venus
Serena
Martina
Lindsay
Amelie

Pete
Tim
Lleyton

BrianII
Feb 14th, 2002, 02:56 PM
The point is not that either Venus or serena will win the french
but the reasons given for why they won't ie they have acvieved nothing on clay..... examining some of Venus results on clay
2 Qf at the french ...The final of ITa open '98 beating ASV in the semi just a month prior to ASV actually winning the french, 3 clay court titles 2 of them over Mary pierce in the final.... another french open champion ( hingis in the semi's of one)....Now why don't those of you who say she can't win the french explain to the rest of us poor mortals how this record is in anyway inferior to Iva Majoli record on clay before she won the french in '97 thrashing hingis in the final.......Maybe the poster vanity who believes that patronising williams fans hides her/his/its ignorance (vain attempt) can tell us.

Monica_Rules
Feb 14th, 2002, 06:28 PM
a player from great britain i doubt one will be in the singles maindraw unless Lucie Ahl or Elena Baltacha have some amazing results!

Ryan
Feb 14th, 2002, 08:26 PM
I really think it will be someone inside the top 10. Venus will have to concentrate and stay healthy to do better then the quarters, Serena wont because her injury will most likely leave her a little rusty, and clay was never her speciality anyway.

Davenport will be hurting from her injury, and isn NOt a good clay player. Seles, will have to be clear of every top 4 player to win it. Clijsters or Henin have a great chance IF the top players like Venus or Hingis dont make it there.

Capriati showed us she doesnt crack under pressure at AO 02, but I think every player will be more prepared for her then before. She doesnt seem to be as fit as last year. Hingis is much more aggressive, and will have to beat tope players before RG to have the confidence to do it. If she makes it to the final, she'll need to keep her focus, and not be intimidated or lose her concentration. AND GET TO THE NET MORE!

RockSteady
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:19 PM
<<so get a back bone and be upfront with your TRUE reasons for disliking the Williams , and stop hiding behind "results">>

I never said I disliked the Williams sisters because of results, you illiterate moron. I said I wouldn't bet money on them at RG because they've been the laughing stock of that tournament for years. Same with Aussie.

And 'true reasons' I dislike the Williams' sisters? I know what you aren't trying to insinuate - because throwing out accusations like that would be ridiculous. But if you want to know why I dislike them...

**Williams fans don't read**

-they're egotistical, self-centered, and disrespectful to fans and their opponents
-they have the ugliest game in history. First shot - winner, error, winner, error, ace, double fault. It's a travesty to watch them play eachother, or to watch them play Clijsters/Dementieva, etc.
-they're rivals of Martina Hingis, my favorite player
-they always complain about injury when they lose, as if their opponent never existed. Serena especially.

And unlike you, I'm not some biased idiot. I like Martina, yes, but I'm viewing Roland Garros through a disinterested standpoint, which means I pick who has the best chance to win, not my fave. So whist you scream in obnoxious 35-font "VENUS AND SERENA", I am impartial enough to say "Monica and Jen are the favorites. Martina and Kim by a longshot".

:fiery: You and Dawn Marie are another reason I dislike the Williams sisters. Be more like Volcana, if it's possible.

Jakeev
Feb 16th, 2002, 03:22 AM
Well like duh TeeRex if you are not a fan of Venus why would you want her to win?

You no there is not a player from Albania who won't win the French this year because, well hell, there aren't any even playing the game I think.

But Venus has the game to win on clay and wishful thinking that you don't want her to win is not a good reason why she cannot win the French.

Jakeev
Feb 19th, 2002, 04:25 AM
more more more

Lola
Feb 19th, 2002, 04:58 AM
Martina Hingis and Gustavo Kuerten won't win it

Fugee
Feb 19th, 2002, 05:25 AM
WOW

in all those posts i read not ONE POST said Monica will nto win the French!

wow who thought that would be the case this time last year when monica was losing to lower ranked players!

GO monica! i think u have gained the respect of mose people on this board for ur efforts! keep it up and WIN THE FRENCH TITLE MONICA!:D :wavey:
we all wanna see u do it!

Jakeev
Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:46 AM
Well I think clay is the one surface most people know Monica excels on.

When the French rolls around she will definitely be a top contender.

SM
Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:14 AM
Everyone other than Jelena Dokic :p

Oizo
Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:21 PM
All those who are unfriendly and throw with their rackets....:rolleyes: :bounce: :wavey: LOL !!!!!:cool:

Lola
Feb 23rd, 2002, 04:59 AM
Martina, I guess

Ryan
Feb 23rd, 2002, 02:11 PM
Rocksteady, that was a very interesting, but accurate post.

I think Monica has an excellent chance of winning it, after her great results so far this year, shes bound to be a top contender. Capriati as much as I hate to admit, does have a chance to win it if she doesnt face Henin. I say that because Henin beat Cap on grass, and her game is even better on clay then it was at Wimbledon.

Who did the Williams lose to in RG? I never was able to watch it and I havent been able to find out who they lost to. Serean to Capriati I'm pretty sure, but who knocked out Venus?

RockSteady
Feb 23rd, 2002, 08:44 PM
Serena lost to Capriati in the quarters and Venus lost to Barbara Schett in the first round.

Jakeev
Feb 24th, 2002, 09:10 PM
Ryan14 not gonna be rude here but so what that Henin beat Capriati on grass? That does not mean Justine is gonna beat her on clay if they face each other.

Rubylips
Feb 24th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Love you Bright red.Keep up our love ,for the girls.:wavey:

Martian KC
Feb 24th, 2002, 10:00 PM
unfriendly= graf....soo.....

CanIGetAWhat
Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:48 AM
well, we're halfway to the championship finals and i still believe venus or serena will win in paris ;)

Jeff
Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:59 AM
Right now I think the precentage of who will win or not is like this:

Serena: 50%
Venus: 49%
Capriati: 1%

Between Venus and Serena, I seriously think it can go Serena's day at one point...and Venus' another. It's just going to come down to who is in the moment at the moment...lol. I also think that Serena "slightly" wants this more than Venus so that might give her the edge.

I gave Capriati a 1% chance, just cuz you can't completely rule her out, but I doubt she will break the streak of loses to them yet.

Becool
Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:00 AM
I want to see RockSteady's face when he returns...

herodoto
Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:04 AM
psst psst the final is until the next week, venus and serna still needs to win several matches, you are talking too prematurely.
1 % of chances Capriati??, pfff i don't like too much jen, but to say that she has only 1% of chances is more a desire than a fact

Becool
Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:09 AM
the fact is not this herodoto
The fact is that some people in hee were saying that the Williams can't play on clay, and look where they are now?

Like you said, three matches for final!
Isn't it near?????

I guess so.... :rolleyes:

Weevee
Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:31 AM
A few more days to find out how brilliant the analyses of Rock Steady and Vanity were. If Serena or Venus make it to the final and are not beaten 6 1 6 2 RS & Vaty will have to explain why they were so insulting!
I understand. My father was a motivational speaker!

persond
Jun 2nd, 2002, 06:39 AM
:) Where pray tell, is RockSteady and Vanity??:) :)

I guess with the Williamses "clay court" results being so dismal, they deicided not to come and rub our noses in their results.;) ;) ;) ;)

Never count a "Sister" out until she's "Out"!:kiss: :kiss: :hearts: :hearts:

GooooooooooooVEEEEEnus:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GooooooooooooSEREEEEEEna:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Jeff
Jun 2nd, 2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by herodoto
psst psst the final is until the next week, venus and serna still needs to win several matches, you are talking too prematurely.
1 % of chances Capriati??, pfff i don't like too much jen, but to say that she has only 1% of chances is more a desire than a fact

Obviously it's not a fact, just my own opinion. Based on the way everyone is playing at this moment, is where I make my odds. I just don't think Jennifer is playing her best tennis right now...which could easily change by next week...along with my odds. Still, though, I don't see her getting past the sisters.

Weevee
Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:40 AM
A French Player

disposablehero
Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Jeff
Right now I think the precentage of who will win or not is like this:

Serena: 50%
Venus: 49%
Capriati: 1%

Between Venus and Serena, I seriously think it can go Serena's day at one point...and Venus' another. It's just going to come down to who is in the moment at the moment...lol. I also think that Serena "slightly" wants this more than Venus so that might give her the edge.

I gave Capriati a 1% chance, just cuz you can't completely rule her out, but I doubt she will break the streak of loses to them yet.

Nice unbiased odds you give there. Since the "field" gets 0%, I assume I can place a $5 wager on Monica and you will pay 10,000,000 to 1?

Williams Rulez
Jun 5th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Friendly bump ... :angel:

Jeff
Jun 5th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Yeah I am being biased ;)

But seriously, look who's left now! It's pretty obvious that Venus, Serena and Jennifer are the peak players at the moment, and one of them will take the title. Monica is good, but she wasn't going to win the title.

Weevee
Jun 5th, 2002, 11:00 AM
No previous winner!

Nimi
Jun 5th, 2002, 02:18 PM
right...

Jenny never won it....

1%?? ya right..

RockSteady
Jun 5th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Unlike most of you, I don't run and hide when defending my statements.

I said the Williams sisters sucked on clay. That is true.:)

I said I'd change my mind when I see the results. I'm seeing results, and now recognize them as a threat. :cool:

A4
Jun 5th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Really interesting predictions. I actually read through them all again. Can wait for Wimbledon predictions.

Amanda
Jun 5th, 2002, 05:16 PM
This is too funny Venus and Serena made it to the SF--one more match and a possible Williams/Williams clay court grandslam final! WOW......the looks on some poster's faces will be priceless....others nau.....NEVER MIND!

Weevee
Jun 5th, 2002, 05:51 PM
"I said the Williams sisters sucked on clay. That is true"
RockSteady it seems as if what you say is based more on emotion than objective analysis. The Williams who you say suck on clay have better records this year than anyone else.
A player shouldn't have to win every match she plays before a reasonably impartial person recognises her as a threat.
I think Mary Pierce is a threat and Monica and Justine and Kim. You think that one has to beat Jennifer to be a threat.

CC
Jun 7th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Alas! The final has arrived, and guess who made it? :cool:

RYNJ
Jun 7th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Who would have thought a Williams winning the French before Hingis...

Pureracket
Jun 7th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by RockSteady
Some notes on the QF match at Roland Garros last year -

Serena never lead. Capriati won the first set, and was close to CRUSHING serena 6-3 6-3 or something before Serena leveled the match. The last set was a 6-2 blow out. Despite the fact that it was a three-setter, Serena never stood a chance.

lol:p

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 7th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Some of you Williams fans need to be a little bit more realistic. Venus or Serena winning the French? Stranger things have happened, but they are the last top-10 players I'd put my money on posted by rocksteady

The Williams wont win any slow surface court.
RG is no way for them to beat back to back good claycourters.
Even a slow hardcourt like AO, they cant win, how much more is the French????? POSTED BY QUEENLINDSAY

That said - personally I can see a Williams sister winning it. POSTED BY REBECCA

Venus, Serena and Lindsay (if she plays POSTED BY VANITY

WELL I GUESS SOME PEOPLE NEED TO DO SOME REEVALUATING

RYNJ
Jun 7th, 2002, 05:16 AM
HEHE, these kind of threads are really interesting...

Infiniti2001
Jun 7th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Who WON'T win the French Open?

All players not named Venus or Serena Williams. hehehe

Jeff
Jun 7th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Looks like my predictions weren't so off after all ;)

Congrats to Serena on fighting back today against Jen, and to both sisters for reaching their goal of #1 and #2. Hopefully they can get over their nerves and play a great final match on Saturday.

Go V & S :D