PDA

View Full Version : An excellent Maria Sharapova article in the New York Times.

the cat
Aug 24th, 2003, 04:51 PM
The article, titled "A Russian Prodigy, Trained In America" by Christopher Clarey, is one of the best articles I've ever read on Maria! :D The article is located at http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/24/sports/tennis/24tennis.html

P.S. - I finally understand the Chernobyl situation with Maria's parents decision to move away from the Chernobyl disaster. I had thought that the Chernobyl disaster took place that Maria's parents were already in Nyagan, Russia in Siberia where Maria was born. But they were in Belarus and moved to Siberia to get as far away as possible from Chernobyl. Then they moved to Sochi, Russia on the Black Sea when Maria was 2 years old. Now it makes sense. And they did make 3 smart moves by moving to Siberia, then to Sochi and then to Bradenton, Florida. :) The rest as they say is history! And history in the making! :D

gg
Aug 24th, 2003, 11:19 PM
This article confirms something for me. Maria Sharapova is a remarkably level-headed 16 year old girl who has the ability and attitude to become the best player in the world; and all the petty carping that is being aimed at her will fade away when the bandwagon gains momentum. She is the Real Deal and I am dedicating my 100th post to her; and awarding her a place in my signature.

the cat
Aug 25th, 2003, 01:38 AM
Well said, gg! :) I echo everything you said! :D

And you have a young, talented and likable WTA Fab Four in your signature! :bounce:

the cat
Aug 25th, 2003, 03:33 PM
gg told me that he had to register for the new York Times online to read the article. I'm sorry for forgetting about that. But registering is free and it only takes a couple of minutes.

gg, who are you going to root for between 2 of your favorites Ashley Harkleroad and Vera Douchevina?

auntie janie
Aug 25th, 2003, 06:15 PM
cat, I saw the same article posted at General Messages today. I agree it's a terrific article and I think Maria has a great future in tennis -- IF she has the right kind of support around her to steer her through the treacherous years of age 16-18! Best of luck to her.

the cat
Aug 25th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Janie, I think Maria is going to need a couple years to physically and emotionally develope. But when she is fully grown and has a grasp on being a big star, I think she'll be able to challenge for grand slam singles titles. :D But Maria has to make it happen. And she has to avoid getting sidetracked along the way.