PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to Amelia Island?

mishar
Feb 2nd, 2002, 12:00 AM
I was thinking of going for the tournament and I wondered if anyone had been, whether they recommend it, if they had any suggestions, etc..

Much appreciated. Thanks.
:cool: :)

Sonja
Feb 2nd, 2002, 01:26 AM
I haven't been yet, but I'm going this year! I hear you can get pretty close to the players and I've seen some excellent photos from those who have attended. From what I can tell Amelia Island is a beautiful place, as well.

Linnie's been though and can tell you more

*Sonja calls Linnie* "Linniemeister come and help out..."

Linnie
Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:09 AM
I'm here, I'm here!! :)

Went for the first time last year, and I'll just say it's one of the nicest tourneys I've been to (Eastbourne being the other). Very laid back, and you can get close to the players ;) Yes, Amelia Island is quite beautiful, too.

I suggest if you want to go, order tickets now. The semis are nearly sold out. It also may be worth your while to check out lodging now, as well.

Here are two websites which may be helpful:

http://www.ameliaisland.org/index_boat.php

http://www.amelialodgings.com/

If you do go, you won't regret it ;) :)

Rollo
Feb 2nd, 2002, 03:28 AM
I've never been, but I hear the players actually stay on site, which makes the chance of seeing them much greater!

Tarassik
Feb 2nd, 2002, 03:45 AM
I have been told by a player that it was an incredible wonderfull place...which attracts many of the best players.So if you can go there, don't hesitate!

Julian
Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:04 AM
Amelia Island is only about 1 hour from where I live..and I have NOT been there yet!! I think I will this year though (of course I say that every year) ;)

Kuilli
Feb 2nd, 2002, 01:02 PM
I was thinking about going there last year, but then I decided to go to Charleston instead. But, friend of mine went there, and he said that he really enjoyed Amelia Island tourney. :D

mishar
Feb 2nd, 2002, 01:07 PM
Thanks Sonja and Linnie and all the rest. is it good to stay at the main hotel or better at an off-site hotel?

I'm definitely gonna go as long as I can convince my boyfriend.

Maybe I'll see you there cheering on Momo.. until she plays Monica in the finals of course. ;)

Jem
Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:58 PM
Amelia Island is fantastic. I went a couple of times in the early 1980s, including the year Chris beat Martina 6-0, 6-0 in the final. My best friend went during the early 1990s(BK - Before Kids), and said it was still a great tournament with a great atmosphere. Go! You won't regret it.

Linnie
Feb 2nd, 2002, 07:49 PM
Mishar, staying on the plantation itself is pretty expensive, but it is definitely closer. This year, 4 of us are renting a condo for the week, which is about 10-15 minutes from the tourney. The second website I mentioned has plenty of condos listed.

Yep, a Momo-Monica final would be great! ;)

mishar
Feb 8th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Wow! Now it will be momo, monica, venus, justine!!!

I can't wait.

auntie janie
Feb 13th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all this great info and especially Linnie's links! I am going to check it out too ...:cool:

Barrie_Dude
Feb 13th, 2002, 04:01 PM
I've not been to the tourney there, but have been to Amelia Island and it is beautiful! Great Venue!