PDA

View Full Version : Whoa! ANNA vs. Monica: Might be a classic match

TeeRexx
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:05 PM
ANNA seems to be very confident and determined and also has the will to win the close matches.

http://mvp.sportsline.com/i/p/22/74079.jpg

After Monica was just able to squeek out a win against an aggressive Alexandra, this match seems to have the makings of a good and even a classic battle, with Monica, unfortunately coming out ahead of the Russian Rocket. :p

Williams Rulez
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:13 PM
Monica will sass Anna off the court ;) :o

~RedRose~
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:15 PM
I agree!! :) Anna may aswell not even play!!!!!! Joking!!! I thought Jelena would be playing instead of Anna!!!!! Im Upset!! :sad: ... But id rather Monica get to the Final as i dont want Anna to win!! I want anna to retire without a tournament win!!

m_pierce fan
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:18 PM
I think Anna will win this game in two straight sets...Something like 6-4 7-5...And she will be in final against Martina Hingis and Martina will give the win for Anna....:bounce:

ajayares
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:19 PM
I don't think will need to guess who you don't like yoshie707..

BTW I hope Jelena...... oh never mind, might get banned if I say what I really feel...

The good news is that i will get to see this match on TV now..
Well not tomorrow, but next Saturday.. but it better than not seeing it all, I suppose..

thefreedesigner
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:23 PM
It should be really interesting.

Anna now seems to have the confidence and match tightness back.

I'd still pick Monica though!

~RedRose~
I dont not like anna .......... i just like drama!! But lets face it ... Anna cannot produce Quality tennis at a consistant period of time ... like a week or two!!

irma
I have read before that this surface plays like grass so when Anna plays well and Monica is not on her best then I think Anna has a change but after I say this you will see that Monica wins 6:1 6:1, that always happens when I predict something good for Anna!

wongqks
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:26 PM
As much as I want anna to get this title, (although being a Monica fan myself ;) ) I don't think she can get pass Monica, Monica is exactly the kind of player Anna have trouble beating: players who hit harder than her and more consistent than her and have a better serve than her. I hope this will be a close match to give anna much needed confidence, but I expect Monica setting up a classic clash against Martina again with a straight set win maybe something like 6-2 7-5 or something (Anna always start slowly which is starting to hurt her)

destructo_girl
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:28 PM
I think Anna has a real chance, judging byb her form of late.
Best of Luck to Anna, cos I really want her to win, and get to the final.

Of course, Monica's the favourite here, but I'm still hoping for a Spice Girls Final.

I hope this girl can get back up to the top ten ASAP, cos thats where she belongs.

Go Anna!

marshmellow
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:33 PM
hehe yoshie...i sure hope that does't happen...cmon now....i might get a heart attack if she pulls out against monicahttp://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/kao/otn/pclapping.gif....

barmaid
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:34 PM
Congrats to Anna for getting this far! Its nice to see her improving her singles game.....also Martina for her win as well...Yes, Anna will REALLY have her hands full against Monica however the challenge is out there...so Good Luck Anna!! Prove all us doubters wrong (another challenge)!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
barmaid:wavey:

ajayares
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by yoshie707
I dont not like anna .......... i just like drama!! But lets face it ... Anna cannot produce Quality tennis at a consistant period of time ... like a week or two!!

Really??
Oh so making 18QF's 18 semis, 3 finals.. means you can not produce any consistent results?? sure she has not won an event..
But she is very consistent.. If you enore the results when making her comeback from injury.. where she had 5 first Rd defeats..

Plus I wouldn't say Jelena is the most consist player on the circuit either?? sure she won 3 tournaments last year, but how many first Rd defeats did she have??? 6

saki
Feb 1st, 2002, 06:18 PM
I think Anna is in with a chance here. She's much fresher and more determined than Monica. She's in good form, likes this surface. Not that I'm necessarily picking her to win, but it should be close...

sartrista7
Feb 1st, 2002, 06:23 PM
I think Anna definitely has a chance. There's absolutely no pressure on her - she's already made the semis and defended her points, which no-one thought she'd do - and Monica's in good form, so a Monica win is expected. But Anna's been in pretty devastating form, and has been quietly impressive this year... GO ANNA!

thefreedesigner
Feb 1st, 2002, 06:33 PM
Has anna been devastating??? I wouldn't call beating Elena in 2 tiebreaks devastating? Nor Kremer 4 and 2.

Good, yes. Very good? Yes, OK. But not devastating. She's still off her best, though I think momentum could - a big 'could' though - take her through against Monica.

marshmellow
Feb 1st, 2002, 06:36 PM
i dont' have a good feeling for anna in this one...she has to be on a consistently solid form all throughout the match for her to win it against someone like monica. i think she CAN win against seles though....but she can't have her lapses....i think the winner will it 6-4, 7-5....i just hope it's annahttp://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/kao/otn/pclapping.gif....

sickish1
Feb 1st, 2002, 07:01 PM
I think Anna can pull off the big upset against Monica.

GO ANNA!

auntie janie
Feb 1st, 2002, 07:08 PM
LOL @ ajayares -- I wouldn't brag about Anna having reached THREE Finals in 6 years on Tour! Sheesh, her record in any given year, even in her best year of 1998, is ONE final! :rolleyes:

(And PLEASE don't bring up Anna's injuries again to justify this bad record! Monica ALSO has been injured for extended periods almost every single year since her return to the game, including last year.)

More to the point, the head-to head favors Seles 4-1, with Anna winning only their very first meeting, at a time when Monica was terribly out of shape. Two of Monica's wins have been on carpet, including one her in Tokyo.

As I said with Alexandra, this fast surface favors Anna, but everything else favors Monica. :angel:

geoepee
Feb 1st, 2002, 07:09 PM
As much as I would like for Anna to do well and come through with the victory, I don't think that she will win tonight against Monica. I think that Monica will win the entire tournament. However, I'm happy for whatever player wins. Hmmm,... I predict 6-4 6-4 Seles. Let's go Anna!

Sonja
Feb 1st, 2002, 08:27 PM
I would also like to see Monica pull this off

GO MONICA!

Sonja
Feb 1st, 2002, 08:28 PM
I'm sure both girls will give us a great match though.

auntie janie
Feb 1st, 2002, 08:31 PM
It certainly is a POPULAR match-up! :)

Grice
Feb 1st, 2002, 08:39 PM
I want and predict Monica to win in two tough sets...
however I won't deny that Anna can pull of an upset if she is more aggressive, coming to the net where she's plays well... besides, she's the fresher of the two... these factors may work well for anna...
nonetheless, I still think Monica's consistency, infallible groundies and mental toughness will see her thru... and hopefully she'll move up the rankings soon :bounce: :bounce:

auntie janie
Feb 1st, 2002, 08:44 PM
Grice,

It's tough! If Monica does beat Anna, she gets very few Bonus Points, due to Anna's current low ranking. She will have to win the tournament, beating Hingis, to rise in the rankings right away.

SO WIN IT, MONI! :D

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 09:06 PM
Monica should easily win. Monica can raise really raise her game when she needs to, while Anna can only go so far. Anna simply doesn't have the game to stop her.

ajayares
Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by janie
LOL @ ajayares -- I wouldn't brag about Anna having reached THREE Finals in 6 years on Tour! Sheesh, her record in any given year, even in her best year of 1998, is ONE final! :rolleyes:

(And PLEASE don't bring up Anna's injuries again to justify this bad record! Monica ALSO has been injured for extended periods almost every single year since her return to the game, including last year.)

Who the hell is braging about the results janie??
It was about been consistent.. so you are only consistent if you makes finals then..:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you can actually read, I didn't mentioned anything about the match between between Anna and Monica??

It was in relation to a comment yoshie707, made about Anna not been consistent..

But good old Janie, jumps in with her 2 cents worth and gets it all wrong as usual..

~RedRose~
Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:21 AM
i agree with Janie .... Anna has made 3 finals .... Thats how many tournaments Jelena won last year!!

Anna cant be too consistant if she can only get to 3 finlas and definately isnt consistant if she cant win!

Bright Red
Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:25 AM
Anna consistent? Please.

TeeRexx
Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:49 AM
Boy, ANNA really seems to bring out the love or hate in some tennis fans, I see. :rolleyes:

Go ANNA!

Maajken
Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:51 AM
I think Monica will win in two tough sets, although id love to see Anna win it :)

Bright Red
Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Tee-Rexx:
Boy, ANNA really seems to bring out the love or hate in some tennis fans, I see.

OK, I'll stop (not that you're asking me to). Anna will get a reprieve from me for a while.

joao
Feb 2nd, 2002, 03:18 AM
I want Monica to win....1) because Anna just pisses me off, 2) because I want Monica get a revenge of her SF loss against Hingis...I wanna see her kick hingis'ass in two easy sets!!!:bounce:

auntie janie
Feb 2nd, 2002, 03:28 AM
TeeRex:

I object! I have not seen ANY posts here that even vaguely approach "Hate". Is any post whcih points out that Anna has reached only 3 finals in her career, or that she has a poor record against Monica, or from posters who hope Monica wins and Anna loses, now classified as "Hate"?

Please don't discourage posters from expressing opinions by referring to their posts as "hate". Not everyone needs to "love" Anna or any other player out there, though those who want to "love" her are certainly welcome to do so.

TenPrincess02
Feb 2nd, 2002, 03:49 AM
I don't understand why any topic that concerns Anna always has to become so off topic! So I will stick to the original purpose of this thread. I think that this will be a very tough match for both girls. Anna seems to be playing well so she could give Monica some trouble, while Monica is overall the better player and technically should win the match. I think that this match will go three sets, although I can't really predict a winner at the moment. I have a feeling Anna is really going to come out fighting for this one. She has nothing to lose and no pressure, as no one truly expects her to win the match. On the other hand, Monica will be looking for revenge against Martina in the final, assuming Martina wins her semi match. Both girls have a reason to be fighting very hard, and I think it will be an awesome match. If I had to make a prediction, I would say Monica in three, although I would love for my girl Anna to pull this one out.

Linton
Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:21 AM
Everyone has a good chance now. Farinela-ella, Kournikova, Seles, Hingis. But u have to realize that either seles, or hingis has the best chance of winning it,

jd4eva
Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:30 AM
Jelena has done everything Anna's done and even better in terms of results:

Anna's won 0 tournaments = Jelena's won 3

Anna's been in 3 finals = Jelena's been in 6

Anna's made a Slam semi = So has Jelena

Anna's made a Slam QF = So has Jelena

Head to Head = 1-0 Dokic

But, Jelena doesn't have anything to do with this match. Anna is the one who played well and took advantage of her draw and now she's into the semis.

From the semis, anything can happen and Anna does possess the skill to beat Monica. She'll need to try and come into the net when possible and make Monica play the extra shot, however, it's going to be extremely tough for Anna.

I think it could turn out to be a very high quality match, but maybe Monica is just that little tougher mentally.

Seles 6-4 6-3

Jordan.
Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:38 AM
Anna:7-5 6-3
Yay!Go all the way Anna!

Martian Martin
Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:21 AM
Almost everything points to a Monica win, but not this time, Anna is gonna cause an upset here and win in 3 sets!! :)

Ok I like Jelena as you can see by my signature, but all the Jelena fans in here bashing Anna, what the hell has a thread about Anna v Monica, got to do with Jelena?!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tennischick
Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:54 AM
whichever woman wins, i for one will be thrilled. if monica wins, i will celebrate. if anna wins i will hope that she doesn't lose her head in the finals. either way i'm happy. :D :) ;)

RYNJ
Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:16 AM
good luck ANNA!!!!!

jd4eva
Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:22 AM
I honestly don't know Martin.

Like I said, this has nothing to do with Jelena.

You should probably ask ajayares

Grice
Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the info, Janie! :)

I'm definitely supporting MONICA but I have nothing against Anna. I try to see her more as a player rather than bother about her vanity fare or watever... She's a good all-court player, what she lacks is a weapon to seriously challenge the tougher opponents.

Go Monica, win this Tier I tourny!:bounce:

Kart
Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:57 AM
Anna has played some good tennis to get to the semis.

Any player has always has a chance against any other player.

Anna has an opportunity for a big win, but she will have to play several levels above her previous performances because she has beaten Monica before and Seles certainly won't be taking this match for granted.

Good luck to both women, but I am, of course, supporting Monica :).

TeeRexx
Feb 2nd, 2002, 01:01 PM
The match turned out to be a good three setter, one I wish I could have seen live or on tape.
Congrats to Monica and good luck to her against Hingis.
Good match to ANNA.

auntie janie
Feb 2nd, 2002, 03:46 PM
CONGRATS TO MONICA! :bounce:

When the going gets tough, the TOUGH GET GOING! That's our Monica! :hearts: What a fighter! :D

marshmellow
Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:37 PM
yes. congrats to monica....this should be a great finals with hingis!! http://www.3dpcgame.com/cwm/s/kao/chika/chirolp_ozigi.gif

wongqks
Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:48 PM
May I congratulate Anna for a great match, and Monica that was close, a break down in the third.

I hope Anna can rack up a title soon and then return to top 10 where she belongs after US Open (realistically)