PDA

View Full Version : Sophie Ferguson

Gowza
Aug 21st, 2003, 01:11 PM
unfortunately i haven;t seen her play but she seems to be an interesting prospect and i want to know what her game is like. i heard she has quite a bit of power and a pretty big serve. but since i haven't seen her i don't know if this is true or not.

Mateo Mathieu
Aug 21st, 2003, 02:46 PM
I don't watch her match as well but I know she has a single handed backhand ;)

ozfan44
Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:48 AM
a singles handed backhand is she similar to molik
how old is she 16/17/18

louloubelle
Aug 22nd, 2003, 04:17 AM
Ive seen Ferguson once and she was OK.

Blonde, single hand backhand, forehand OK predominantly sticks to the baseline. Game not based on power but manoevering players and hitting to open court - however the match I saw her, she was getting that medicine back to her!

Her serve was adequate but not powerful so she's not like Molik.

What impressed me was that she a fair bit of intensity, and really tried to knuckle down when she made too many loose errors. She didn't just continue in a downward sprial like other juniors.

How far she goes is anyones guess. I didn't see anything that startling to say she'll automatically be top 100 etc... Top 200 would be an aim so far....

~|Naomi|~
Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:50 AM
I saw her play gold coast quallies this year, and what can i say she got crushed :o Maybe the match wasn't a good indication of her talents though, she was out of her depth, should play more junior events to gain experience and then the aussie challengers at the end of the year. Just an interesting fact is she was chatting with Dellacqua prior to her match

Gowza
Aug 25th, 2003, 08:59 AM
so is she expected to play a role is australia's resurgance of a top tennis nation?

~|Naomi|~
Aug 25th, 2003, 09:45 AM
so is she expected to play a role is australia's resurgance of a top tennis nation?

Well I also saw both Dellacqua and Welford play on the Gold Coast to and I think they have more potential, but that is just my opinion. I did see ferguson play doubles with dominikovic and she played better there, so her singles match probably was not a good indication of her talents she was just outclassed and wasn't given a chance to do anything

Gowza
Aug 25th, 2003, 10:33 AM
what state does she come from? she's around about my age, i'm wondering whether she goes to a school around where i went. lauren cheung apparently went loreto and i went to knox and i never knew she was at loreto. it's funny how we get so close to these players yet never know it.

SM
Aug 26th, 2003, 12:14 PM
ive seen sophie play a few times, but it was over a year ago.

she played very smooth, nice classical single-handed bh but she hasnt got any weapons. everything is adequate but nothing that stands out. if she gets stronger and works harder im sure she can get the power she needs to make the top 200 on the WTA, and beyond ;).

rintin
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Sophie comes from Sydney, New South Wales.
I've watched her play and she attends Pymble Ladies College.
She has played in the school Tildesley competition that includes 28 Private school girl schools, one of which I attend :P

She is a very nice player and if she works hard at it and gains the experience she might go places.

SM
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:34 PM
i saw her play last weekend in the tourney i was in.

She bascially makes no UE and has great timing and placement, esp on that single handed topspin bh which is gorgeous!!! But she needs more power to her game if shes to compete at WTA level. She has sound technique but needs to work on increasing her power and fitness seeing she doesnt have a big weapon like Molik with the serve.

Im sure if she works really hard she can develop a similar game to Nicole Pratt and crack the top 200.