PDA

View Full Version : I have lost all respect for Pam Shriver and Billie Jean King

AUSBOY
Feb 1st, 2002, 08:57 AM
I'm sorry but I just read this article of Pam Shriver's and was appalled!

Some of her comments are

"Hingis is going to be devastated and demoralized after once again failing to close out the final of a Grand Slam. It's going to be the biggest tennis hangover of all time. The only other person who suffered a defeat close to this one was Jana Novotna in the 1993 final at Wimbledon against Steffi Graf. Novotna was up two breaks in the third, but she never even got to championship point -- nothing like letting four championship points slip away.

Hingis is supposed to play Tokyo next week, but you have to grieve after a match like this. You don't just lose it, get up in the morning and move on. This is the most devastating thing that's happened to her. What she's feeling now is grief."

**I am no big Hingis Fan, far from it, but Pam's statements have enraged me, Firstly how does Pam know what Martina is feeling now? Why should Martina dwell on all the negatives and could've beens, what a stupid thing to say! The best thing for Martina is to draw positives from her trip to Australia after surgery, and she has done that, she's said that in her speech she was happy about her results. Most of all she has showed she is a true champion and put this near miss behind her and moved on to the next tournament in her comeback.

I'm shocked Pam Shriver said that stuff. Maybe she is thinking about her missed opportunities in losing her slam final and never been able to mentally hold it together to get back to another Grand Slam final.

This article is an INSULT to Martina. Martina has always had a good head and she will overcome her disappointment very quickly and estutely. She's not one to dwell on missed opportunities. She isn't a player that dwells on the negatives. As she said in her speech, while she was disappointed, she was happy that she had exceeded her expectations with her comeback and could draw a lot of positives that she did so well and got so close to taking the title.. To win both Sydney titles, GS Doubles and then reach a Grand Slam singles final after 4 months off from surgery is remarkable and she can see this. Its sad that she got that close but to do what she did in those 3 weeks was remarkable. Hingis acknowledged all this in her speech which obviously Shriver never listened too.

I'm sorry but I am no longer a fan of Billie Jean King either. Both former players have disappointed me with their commentary/articles on the final due to their bias. I don't have a problem with commentators having their favourites. I just find it very unprofessional when they show profound bias in their work. e.g Billie Jean King was commentating, and everytime Capriati questioned a call BJK would make a comment like, Yes, Capriati is right, that ball was out, even when the TV showed a close up as in, and she also did it to Hingis, she hit a winner which was called out, the close up replay showed it clearly as in and yet BJK commended the umpire saying they had made the right decision and that it was out. I mean BJK was just making a fool of herself, don't think Channel 7 will ask her to commentate again.

Linton
Feb 1st, 2002, 09:05 AM
There There There AUSBOY. U r not the only one feeling it. I have lost all respect for Pam Shrover after the Ozzie Open. If i have to listen to her one more time i swear i will ring ESPN And tell them to get someone else. Steffis looking for a job-

mishar
Feb 1st, 2002, 09:06 AM
I think it's a compliment to Hingis actually.

Some people are saying well Jen was just the better player.

in fact Martina was the better player and she choked, plain and simple. If she's not unhappy about that, well bully for her, but she's never gonna win another major again with that attitude.

Philbo
Feb 1st, 2002, 09:08 AM
I couldnt disagree more.

Firstly, Pam has been a pro tennis player, and knows how some defeats 'hurt' more than others..

yes, martina exceeded her expectations, yes Martina can draw ona lot of positives...

But Pam is CORRECT - You dont lose a slam final (after sucha drought) after winning by 1 set and 4-0, and jsut move on without any after effect!!!

Pam was being concerned for Hingis, not viciously attaking her!!

And BJK was the BEST commentator EVER!!!

I agreed with ALL the replays they showed and BJK's opinion on whether it was out or in...

"Martina has always had a good head"??? Umm, hate to rain on your parade, but SHE HAS TROUBLE CLOSING MATCHES OUT!!

FO 99 ring a bell?? Where was her head that day???

You are a loyal fan who is wayyyyy oversensitive.

There was nothing insulting in what Pam or BJK said.

Adrian
Feb 1st, 2002, 09:13 AM
Have a reality check Philbo..go rant about steffi, coz you are way of the mark on this on.

treufreund
Feb 1st, 2002, 09:19 AM
BJK earns my respect in so many ways but I was VERY TROUBLED by her shouting during the Fed Cup and thought she was disrespectful to the Spaniards when I saw that on TV. Also I saw her obvious total lack of appreciation when Martina beat Monica at the Chase 2000 in an UNBELIEVABLE match by both ladies. When Martina came over to hug her mother Melanie and had tears in her eyes BJK just turned her head and looked sour. She barely even clapped. She is sooo pro-American that it borders on nationalism which is an ugly thing. I also thought she was VERY RUDE to Lisa Raymond when she did not pick her for the Olympics Doubles and then the Williams sisters turned her down for Fed Cup and she was too proud to ask Lisa to play. She made an ass out of herself. And also I find her totallly CHILDISH that she was upset supposedly with Martina Navratilova for playing Wimbledon again and possibly threatening her precious record there. How dare Martina keep playing! Why couldn't Martina just let herself go like Billie Jean?

Philbo
Feb 1st, 2002, 09:24 AM
Adrian - Go have a reality check. period.

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 10:42 AM
Martina played the best tennis at the AO from Round 1 all up to the second set of the Final. Then for what ever reason, she lowered the level of her game. Now she's sits on a three-year drought. If it were me, I'd be dying. Hingis is only human, and she must be dying over it too. Pam Shriver is absolutely right in what she's saying.

Hopefully Hingis will take this bitter defeat as motivation for the rest of the Grand Slams this year.

rated_next
Feb 1st, 2002, 11:27 AM
Pam is an idiot.

disposablehero
Feb 1st, 2002, 11:35 AM
Is that what bothers you, or the fact that they are complimentary of Monica?

Would you care to hazard another "guess" as to how long it will take Monica to return to the top 8?

TeeRexx
Feb 1st, 2002, 02:08 PM
How did Monica get into this topic?

I think Pam was right. Hingis is saying that she is ok after Oz, but if every one of her fans is dwelling on the loss, it has to still be way in the front of Martina's mind. and the media will remind her once again every time that she plays Capriati and just wait until the 2003 Oz, the tapes of that loss will run for two weeks.

-Sonic-
Feb 1st, 2002, 02:42 PM
Some of the things I've read that BJK supposedly said were more than enough to lose her a commentating job.

Huge difference between constructive criticism and just outright bitching/verbally destroying about someone's game... and from what I know of BJK of late its all she's been doing.... i'm gonna put it down to jealousy and immaturity - "how dare a non american fed cup player hit a winner" etc.

SM
Feb 1st, 2002, 02:44 PM
Pam tried to dramatise the article to make it more interesting and readable , andi do think that lots of it is overexaggerated...

its true Martina and whoever lost in such a way will be affected the next time they're in a big match, most likely...but with Hingis im sure if she can can pull a win at Tokyo will be over it...'period'!

Marti's a champ. , i dont think shell be totally 'demoralized' and 'devastated'. If anything shell be more determined to win next time....on to the f.o :)

I :hearts: BJK's commentary btw ;)!..

Rollo
Feb 1st, 2002, 03:28 PM
Bias is one thing(I didn't see King's commentary). I've no comment there, and most announcers have at last some bias.

What is beyond argument is how devastating a loss like this is-and Pam DOES know that from experience. Hingis, or whoever,doesn't give a rats behind or two thoughts about losing in Tokyo or Dubai, or name your city. It's the slams that count, and those who think otherwise are fools, clueless, or blinded by reading too much WTA propaganda:angel:

Methinks it's harder to fool Pam and other players(after all, they've been there) than the likes of most of us who've only watched rather than played slams:)

What devastated Mauresmo? The French. Go ask her. She's still getting over that.

Read Venus Envy and see how happy Venus was losing the 1999 US Open and seeing her sister win it.

Capriati had nightmares about losing the 1991 US Open semis to Monica for years.

Hingis hasn't been the same to many watchers of the game since the 99 French final. I hope she recovers, but Pam was correct in what she wrote. Some may not like her "bias' against Hingis, but give Shriver this: She said after match point #1 that Hingis had better go for it on the next one or she might not win. Think I'll start calling her Pammy "the Prophet".

thefreedesigner
Feb 1st, 2002, 03:40 PM
What did BJK say???

Pam's words seem to me to be nothing more than 'harsh truths'. Only Melanie and Martina will truly know how the AO final has affected Martina, and will continue to effect her. Martina was _shit_scared_ on those first match points you could see it in her face, and that was before the real heat exhaustion set in. For me, that fear is going to take a while to heal.

We won't really know until Martina's in a similar position again. The thing about this loss (as with 99 loss to Graf) is that she was in a winning position. In her other AO finals she never ever looked a likely winner, either against Davenport or Capriati.

Adrian
Feb 1st, 2002, 04:52 PM
Well if Ausboy is a hingis fan, then he has kept it well hidden..thats 1.

Pam hates martina, thats a fact.

BJK did call every ball of Capriati's in, when the whole world could see they were out.

BJK did call every Hingis ball out, when at least 4 of the disputed calls were clearly in.

Ausboy has a very strong case.

Hingis was clearly outplayed in her previous 4 finals, this time she had the chances and blew them, as her mother said "You had the chances this time, make sure you take them next time"..watch out for a tennis player that is slowly but surely beginning to believe again.

On another point that is directed at another poster and no one else.

when you stop being so vitriolic to other posters thoughts, then I may treat yours with more then a grain of salt

Gallofa
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:12 PM
I didn't see either match, so I can't really comment.

treufreund, I completely agree with *everything* you've said about BJK, her behaviour on Fed Cup (in 1996, 1998 and 2000 specially) is too low to even comment on it properly, and what she did to Lisa Raymond! she couldn't become much smaller as a person, could she?. Here, have a drink with me, we can moan and bitch over BJK together :D ;)

macn
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:16 PM
YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TS
Feb 1st, 2002, 06:45 PM
I agree that BJK may have shown some bias to Jen on some points, but as for her overall commentary during the 2 weeks, I think it was fantastic.

There has been positive feedback, and Channel 7 will most definately hire her back next year...it was refreshing to hear something different and not be subjected to Pam like the last few years.

Aloysius
Feb 1st, 2002, 07:10 PM
Billie Jean is a good friend and fan of Australia, so no grudges against her, but I did find her commentating biased whenever an American was involved. I found it strange listening to her going on about "Jen this...Jen that" in the final, semis and quarters. She was having an orgasm watching Monica and Venus do battle. Martina just happened to be the opponent in the final where an American was present. If it had been any other non-American in the final besides Hingis, BJK's bias would've still been there. You can't blame her for being a little patriotic. The Australian male commentators and the McEnroe brothers do it all the time. And Jim Courier is on his knees every time he is commentating a Jan-Michael Gambill or Andy Roddick match. The only thing missing is their cock in his mouth.

As for Pam, like I've said elsewhere, I had no idea that she had so much angst with Martina Hingis. She always seemed to speak positively about her in past Australian Open commentating gigs for Aussie TV. I'll take the article as her opinion. Yes, it's true that she knows a little something about tennis and losing big finals, but she can't possibly know about it from more than her personal perspective. She imagines feeling grief. She wasn't playing. Like her, I was merely watching it too. I felt grief. Martina was playing it. I have no idea how she really feels. She did cry, but it could've been for lots of reasons - losing a close one, feeling tired, feeling helpless. We'll never know. It's Pam's opinion. She may be right or she may be wrong. It's no big deal, IMO. Those who agree with her will agree with her. Those who don't will laugh in her face. She's open to that.

mishar
Feb 1st, 2002, 08:05 PM
That's shocking! THE FED CUP CAPTAIN IS PATRIOTIC???
What a violation of protocol.
No Spainiard has ever cheered for their team, I'm sure.

There wouldn't be a WTA without Billie Jean King.
You people need to learn a little about tennis history.
She made a huge impact on women's sports. Now all your favorite players are able to live like millionaries (even the lower-ranked ones) and Billie Jean doesn't have a dime to show for it.
She should be a hero to all fans of women's tennis, even if you don't agree with every little word she says or thing she does.

veryborednow
Feb 1st, 2002, 08:24 PM
She was having an orgasm watching Monica and Venus do battle.

LOL!! I'd prefer to have a commentator who's passionate about the game. I listen to Eurosport commentary, which is pure shite. Mark bloody Petchly going on about peoples legs and "oh, that was a bad shot", yes thank you, I could commentate like that. I want a decent commentator who maybe will be biased but will at least have interesting stuff to talk about.

I had to put up with Pat Cash slagging off womens tennis uring the Aus Final, which at 5.30am was insufferable.

veryborednow
Feb 1st, 2002, 08:55 PM
Billie-Jean King, a small player in her day, says while players are getting bigger, there will be always be a place for the skilled and quick-witted, like Hingis. "There will be fewer, but there will always be the exceptions."

King says the question of how Hingis handles Capriati's power is central to the match, given that Hingis has struggled to tame the uber-power of Venus. But, King adds, "the racquet is an equaliser. She [Hingis] understands the racquet frame in relation to the ball as well as anyone." The key for Hingis, according to King, will be to serve well and to keep the groundstrokes deep.

See? not too nasty....

wongqks
Feb 1st, 2002, 09:02 PM
veryborenow,

I could not stand Pat Cash in teh final as well, I do not understand BBC intelligence in hiring someone who slag off women tennis all the time doing commentating on the women final, that guy have no insight into women tennis at all so I switch to Eurosport which is better, I wonder why Sue Barker don't do the live commentating as well???

I wrote a complain letter to BBC and they recevied and say it has been sent to the sport department, I doubt they will do anything

veryborednow
Feb 1st, 2002, 09:17 PM
wongqks - sounds like a good plan :) Could you tell me what they say if they do get back to you?

I thought it was completely pointless - Rios would have been a better commentator

wongqks
Feb 1st, 2002, 09:23 PM
veryborenow,

I lost the email they send me for the complaint about Pat Cash, but I have one which is when I write and was very annoy with them keep talking about tim henman during the Monica match even during that injury thing

Dear Mr Wong

Thank you for your e-mail regarding coverage of the Australian Open Tennis.

I am sorry that you are so annoyed that the commentators keep referring to Tim
Henman during other matches which are taking place. Please be assured that your
annoyance at this has been carefully registered and has been made available to
our sports department.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

Richard Carey
BBC Information

Programme title or topic:
Australian Tennis

Network:
BBC

Date of transmission:
20th January, 2002, midnight

Pretty boring pointless email really, doubt anything is said.

veryborednow
Feb 1st, 2002, 09:29 PM
I forgot about the Tim thing over the Monica match, THAT was very annoying. You're right, he says nothing really. Oh well. Lets hope they tell somebody to stop doing it :)

moon
Feb 1st, 2002, 10:40 PM
treufreund, I have to say I think the majority of your post is full of crap.

BJK blah blah blah..
what did you expect her to do after the match, run over and kiss Martina's ass?

Aloniyus your post is hystercal.

and I think it was mishar who wrote that without BJK we probably wouldn't have a WTA. Some of you need to remember that before you start your bitching.

btw Go Pam and Go Billie Jean.

JonBcn
Feb 1st, 2002, 10:40 PM
Why is it that whenever you read through a thread, Rollo always has the most sensible, objective opinion? From now on I think when a thread starts Rollo´s opinion should automatically be sought for the decisive answer, and it´ll save everyone else a lot of bother!

treufreund
Feb 1st, 2002, 10:50 PM
Moon, I happen to think you post a lot of crap too. So there. Anyway this was a thread about losing respect for BJK. If you read my post you will see that there are many things I respect about Billie like her fighting for the WTA but that still does not change that I have lost respect for her based on her unsportsmanlike behaviour.

thekimfan
Feb 1st, 2002, 10:54 PM
Billie Jean-King before the 2001 Roland Garros Final:
"Kim has not the slightest chance to win this"
Then already I lost all respect for her, certainly because she was speaking nonsense, Kim was back then already a player with a high level
:cool:

disposablehero
Feb 1st, 2002, 10:55 PM
Thekimfan, THAT bothers me. I would expect to hear something like that from Chris Evert (and did), not BJK.

c2
Feb 1st, 2002, 11:35 PM
The wisdom of ROLLO shines again..

moon
Feb 2nd, 2002, 01:40 AM
aww so treufreund thinks I post a lot of crap??
I'll take that as a compliment coming from you.:kiss:

as for BJK's "unsportsmanlike behavior"--if I remember correctly, Billie was not the sportscaster during that match at the Chase. Since when is it unsportsmanlike to show you're disappointed in the outcome of a match? So she wasn't routing for Martina, BIG DEAL.

Rollo
Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:23 AM
JonBcn and cmglenn. :wavey: to you both.
Your avatar is very cute cmglenn.

By the way, your checks are in the mail;)

Randy H
Feb 2nd, 2002, 03:46 AM
I haven't seen Billi Jean's commentary from Melbourne, so I can't really comment on what she has done in that regard, but I do agree with the sentiment of many about her attitude towards Fed Cup. I'll be more than happy to have a drink and mourn over Lisa with you Bea ;)

As for Pam, I really don't think what she said was bad. Maybe it was not the most polite way of saying, but hey - she's BEEN there before, she knows what it feels like to lose a big match. I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks Martina is probably over the Melbourne loss is kidding themselves. These players play for those moments, and to lose that after being a point away must have hurt really badly. Martina really hasn't even been the same since the Roland Garros loss, where she served for it, so now this is two times where it was on her racquet and she didn't end it. That has to weigh in your mind everytime you're back in a slam final.

Anyway, I think "demoralised" is probably an exaggeration by Pam, but I really do feel that whether she shows it or not, she's probably going to be really hurt that she missed that opportunity. It's good that Martina does see the positive in it though, and her game appears to have improved tactically. Hopefully for her sake, she can get back in that situation, and have more belief in her ability to finish it off.

treufreund
Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:57 AM
Moon,

It is intellectually disingenuous for you to respond to my post by reducing my comments to a dislike for BJK simply because she was not rooting for Martina. My post covered much more than her sourpuss expression at the Chase. That moment caught on tape was a glimpse into what a sore loser BJK can be. For her to be upset about Martina Navratilova continuing to enjoy her tennis is also a sign of insecurity and if we can believe what others have testified to on this board then her commentating is also disgustingly biased.

Also you can leave behind the childish "awww" sarcasm at me saying that you post crap since YOU WERE THE FIRST ONE to stoop to that low level as opposed to outlining why you disagree with what I had to say. And, yes, I can assure you that when you disagree with my posts that I know I am on to something good.

LucasArg
Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:05 AM
GO PAM:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

MARTINA SUCKS:bounce:

moon
Feb 2nd, 2002, 08:39 AM
Well truefreund, I chose to comment on the BJK at the Chase section of your post because that was what I felt like commenting on at the time. I didn't comment on your post tit for tat, because I had neither the time or the inclination to do so. I still don't. Pardon me if I don't want to rehash issues that have been discussed on this board (or the old one) 50 million times already.

As for you being on to something good when you disagree me, if you feel that way fine, I could care less. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. That would be pretty boring wouldn't it?So go ahead and voice your dissention all you want. Doesn't bother me one bit. you have your opinions and I will always have mine.

sleep tight:wavey:

Zummi
Feb 2nd, 2002, 08:55 AM
I love Billie Jean King but I have to admit, she really *IS* biased towards American players. As Fed Cup captain, she ought to be but I've noticed it does carry over into her commentary too. It was quite clear when she used to commentate on HBO. On the WSL website, she was asked who her favourite players were. She basically named every American in the top 50 and then admitted, "Yes, you can tell I'm biased towards American players!" I kid you not! She really said that!

Pam Shriver, in that particular article referenced, was just being realistic, IMO. But in her commentary, I think she can show some bias towards Williams or Davenport or Capriati when they're playing Hingis. The only American commentators who I think cover Hingis' matches fairly are Tracy Austin & Martina Navratilova. Chris Evert can go overboard with her Hingis adulation at times but in the past few years, she has toned it down quite a bit.

Shane54
Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:20 AM
Lord have mercy...some people get their panties all in a bunch for nothing...What in the hell Pam say that was so "horrendous"...If you don't like Pam that is ok, but don't find things to be angry about...Pam said nothing that is disrespectful to Hingis....

Dawn Marie
Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:31 AM
Billie Jean King is American and naturally will be biased towards Americans. Can't blame her.. We all cheer for those we identify with the most and those from our country.

Alot of players favorites continually state stupid ,catty and rude remarks so why ignore those remarks and pick on Pam and Billie? At least Pam and Billie are not active on the tour.

Anyhow Leave Pam and Billie alone .. AND

D
O
W
N
With that silly Chris Everet , now that is one crappy commentator. .. YUUUUUUUUUCKY:)

AUSBOY
Feb 2nd, 2002, 03:56 PM
Why does everyone thing Martina is suffering tremendous grief??????

Its such a huge exaggeration that the media has invented.

Sure Martina would have suffered some disappointed that day and probably cried later that night but people are forgetting so many things.

1.) She's lost Grand Slam Finals before, so she has suffered disappointment and has gotten over it and rebounded successfully before. She knows this isn't the last time she's gonna reach a Grand Slam final!

2.) She was already drawing positives in her speech straight after the match.

If you had told Martina beginning of January that she would win Sydney singles and doubles, reach the final of the Aus Open and win the doubles there she would have probably laughed! She was out for 4 months, her expectations were well and truly surpassed with her results on the Australian Circuit, she acknowledged this when she said "I don't know to be happy or sad after this match"

3.) Martina has never been one to get mentally down or dwell on failures, she has always moved on, look at her performances after 1st round loses at Wimbledon, they were more humilating for her than this!

4.) AND most importantly this Grand Slam loss was different to the others, it was played in totally extreme conditions! Court Temperature was above 38 degrees. Both players were extremely distressed, dehydrated and not able to mentally focus properly! This was obvious when Capriati yell, "get the fucking Referee"

They are introducing a new ruling as a result as previously they weren't allowed to stop play for a final like than can with earlier round matches when the court temperature reaches a certain temperature.

Anyone that has played on a hardcourt in Melbourne when its 35 let alone 38 knows that it is obsurd! The strong UV in the sun that we have in Melbourne is the strongest in the world other than Antarctica, and it really heats up the courts and your head literally feels like its gonna explode! Martina knows she did the best she could, sure she knows she missed a few chances, but she also knows that she wasn't fully there mentally at those points. Reality was that she lost the match as she wasn't able to cope with the ridiculous conditions imposed on her. She didn't even want to play that 3rd set, she physically and mentally couldn't. I think Martina is far more upset over losing the French Open Final than this! She has already shown she is over it playing in Tokyo straight away and reaching the final with ease!

Martian Mel
Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:56 PM
GREAT POST AUSBOY!
I totally agree!:kiss:

Rollo
Feb 3rd, 2002, 05:14 AM
Better hope you're wrong and Pam's right Ausboy. That is, if you're a true fan of Martina;)

Because nothing is as motivating as knowing you should have won. I don't care if Martina was standing on one leg during those 4 match points(and she was on her last leg conditioning wise), she should have won-and something is wrong IF it doesn't bother her. To paraphrase Venus-"I know I should have won it, she knows it, EVERYBODY knows it".

The women on tour are like sharks, and they smell Martina's blood all over the water. I'd bet my last dollar she'll hear whispers behind her back in the locker room for months about this. Cruel whispers. "Washed up in the slams" whispers.
Just like Davenport used to hear "dump truck" whispers.

That's just the way the women on tour are AUSBOY. Now if I were a Hingis fan-I'd hope that makes her madder than hell :mad: because an angry motivated Martina is better than a complacent Hingis anyday. We saw an unmotivated Hingis in 2001-and while the 2001 version is still #3 or #4 in the world, she can't win slams like that.

Martina did great IMO to get to the final. No doubt she wasn't as fit as usual because she's coming off an injury. Sure, there ARE POSITIVES to take from Oz. Even so, she must be having nightmares over that match. Read ANY book by a female champ AUSBOY. Any one. These women just don't cry after the final of a slam if they lose a close one-they agonize or plot revenge for weeks or months. Get fitter. Improve a weakness. They obsess and focus on that obsession.

Go ahead and tell me I'm wrong and Hingis is unmarked by that match. Maybe she is. As a true Hingis fan though-you better hope Pammy was right:)

JonBcn
Feb 3rd, 2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Dawn Marie
Billie Jean King is American and naturally will be biased towards Americans. Can't blame her.. We all cheer for those we identify with the most and those from our country.

That´s not true - a decent commentator should at least appear to be neutral and objective. If I spent my time cheering for British players, there wouldnt be much point me even liking womens tennis. I think that people who choose their favourite players by the country they happen to be from, or the colour of their skin, or how pretty they find them are missing the point of the sport, and a seasoned veteran should understand that.

jomar
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:02 PM
Well, Marti just won another title.;):D:D:D

I hope Pam is devastated with this news.*LOL***:angel: :bounce: :kiss:

AUSBOY
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:37 PM
Read this a weep Rollo! Hingis is not agonizing over anything, she is delighted with her good form and results this year!

Hingis notched her 40th WTA Tour title and her first Tier I championship since the Kremlin Cup in Moscow in 2000. She is 14-1 this season after undergoing right ankle surgery last October.

"I didn't know how well I would play and I had some doubts if I was still good enough," Hingis said. "But this year with a win in Sydney and playing so well at the Australian Open and now winning in Tokyo my expectations are definitely very high. I couldn't set any goals for the rest of the year before these tournaments, but now I can, and they will be high goals."

Doesn't sound like someone grieving or suffering nightmares or backstabbing in the changerooms!

essielewis
Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:45 PM
I don't think Martina is "grieving" over her lost at the AO but I think she's very disappointed. It was a difficult lost in difficult conditions. I finally got a chance to see the finals (ESPN Classic) on Friday night and I was struck by how passive and unaggressive Martina was on those match points. I couldn't understand what she could have been thinking.:confused:

The win today in Tokyo was nice but what does it mean? So she won yet another tournament. That doesn't change the fact she hasn't won a Slam since January 1999:( I noticed in the AP story about her win today they brought up the AO and the fact she hasn't won a Slam in 3 years. I think the media will always do this because to most people the Slams are the most important tournaments. Whether this is right or wrong is a matter of opinion, but that's the way it is.:sad:

Personally, though I'm not a particular fan of Hingis, I think she is a wonderful player with loads of talent but she's going to have to win a slam, and soon, if she wants to restore her credibility with some fans and all of the media.

Vanity
Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:52 PM
I tend to disregard the tennis media quite a bit because there is too much disrespect for certain players, and too much gloating about others. As long as they provide me with good tennis and they go out there and give their best effort, it doesn't bother me when they last won a slam. I really think commentary should just be abolished during tennis matches, I mean what can the commentators tell us that we don't already know??? :rolleyes:

veryborednow
Feb 3rd, 2002, 09:06 PM
I find out all sorts of fascinating information from the commentators.

Like : "She's two points away from victory"

"There's her boyfriend "x" sitting in the stand"

"She's the most downoaded sportstar off the internet" (gasp)

"She hasn't won a slam in x years"

"COMEBACK!!!"

Jessica02
Feb 3rd, 2002, 09:32 PM
You guys get soo wound up Im in fitts here!!

Pam is entitled to her opinion agree with it or not i as a Hingis fan dont see alot wrong with what she said.

BJK well she is the reason for the WTA and she knows her stuff, so she can say what she thinks.

As a HUGE Hingis fan it dosent bother me at all what people say or think Hingis will back up with her racket how good she is so im not gonna cry over what some commentator said.

As for Eurosport commentary that guy Chris Bradman - I believe is a bloody perv he is always talking about Martina's and Anna's legs and what they where and how good they look.

If he wants to commentate on that sort of thing I suggest he look on the top shelf of the videostore.

Rollo
Feb 3rd, 2002, 09:51 PM
I'm glad that she won Ausboy:) we just read her differently. I read those comments and see she IS fired up to win another slam(especially the last part). Talking about how dissapointed she was by losing in OZ would add more blood for the sharks to feed on. A few words at a news conference isn't proof she's "over it" either. Jana Novotna still says she didn't choke the 1993 Wimbledon final. Sure:rolleyes:

The "slamless since 1999" still hangs over her. It's her cross to bear, just as Capriati has 'still hasn't beaten Venus" or Navratilova had "can't win a US Open" for many years, or Venus has the "can't play enough to get to #1 or win a slam other than Wimbledonor the US". And I won't even touch Anna K.

Tokyo is a nice little salve. Emphasis on little. Martina would trade ten Tokyo's for a slam. She's using this week to look forward to the French, where she knows she's not the only one with a lot to prove. Seles is in the same boat, asking Can I still win a slam? Venus has to wonder if she'll EVER win a French. Every slam adds pressure on Clijsters and Henin.

Enjoy her tier 1 win:)

AjdeNate!
Jan 27th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Interesting very interesting to read what some wrote in 2002 and what they're writing in 2004.

My how the worm has turned....

And I got told to bugger off and just 'accept' it. Hmmmmm, seems like someone has a little two-faced-ism going on.

tenn_ace
Jan 27th, 2004, 03:00 PM
thanks for finding that... lol @ DM and what she is saying now :haha:

AjdeNate!
Jan 27th, 2004, 03:02 PM
thanks for finding that... lol @ DM and what she is saying now :haha:I don't name names, I just point out stupidity. ;)
:tape:

hingis-seles
Jan 27th, 2004, 03:25 PM
I don't name names, I just point out stupidity. ;)
And might I say, do a damn good job! :worship:

SJW
Jan 27th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Interesting very interesting to read what some wrote in 2002 and what they're writing in 2004.

My how the worm has turned....

And I got told to bugger off and just 'accept' it. Hmmmmm, seems like someone has a little two-faced-ism going on.
bugger off and accept what? :)

man this thread is nearly 2 years old....how did you remember it? :confused:

AjdeNate!
Jan 27th, 2004, 03:34 PM
And might I say, do a damn good job! :worship:
Who me? :shrug: :p

AjdeNate!
Jan 27th, 2004, 03:37 PM
bugger off and accept what? :)

man this thread is nearly 2 years old....how did you remember it? :confused:
I can't claim credit on my own. It was pointed out to me, the 'it' being the double standards and blatant hypocracies. :wavey:

tenn_ace
Jan 27th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I don't name names, I just point out stupidity. ;)
and hypocrisy, may I add :lol:

:worship: