View Full Version : Us Open

broncosven
Aug 19th, 2003, 12:44 AM
well heres our qualies

sam stousur vs kristine boogert
christian wheller vs sophie lefbreive
evie dominikovic vs adriana barna
racheal mcquaillian vs maria fernandez alves

unfortunately evie and chris play each ohter in 2nd round if they each win !!!

all quite easy 1st round matches should win

azza
Aug 19th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Goodluck girls!

TS
Aug 19th, 2003, 04:27 AM
bronco...I don't mean to nit-pick at all, but you have mis-spelled almost everyone's name :o

Not having a go, it's not that important, but I'm just a perfectionist I guess ;)

They should all win these matches but it's not gonna happen. Force of habit.

broncosven
Aug 19th, 2003, 06:07 AM
doesnt bother me i know im a *hit speller u dont have to tell me that

had a quick look at mens qualies aswell and thx ourselves almost everyone im playing a top 5 seed to get into where our chicks got favourable draws but like u should force of habit to lose

again a case of woulda, shoulda, coulda

TS
Aug 19th, 2003, 07:11 AM
I think this is how it will go

Ad.Barna def Dominikovic - Yes, that's right...and when it happens Evie needs to hang her head in shame. Evie is hot favorite, but is under prepared, low on confidence and lost to a Canadian junior last week. Hardly encouraging.

Wheeler def Lefevre - Christina should prevail in straight sets, but she is not in the best form and is struggling to produce the form she showed in America a few months ago. Still, she has the easiest match of them all I feel.

McQuillan def Alves - Alves is pretty good, but hs no experience in Slams. Rachel should win, I'll say in either 2 tight sets o3 in 3. If Rachel loses this match it is time to RETIRE.

Boogert def Stosur - Something tells me Stosur is not ready. She has been disappointing in her last 2 events in America, retiring hurt in one of them. Also, the disappointment of Fed Cup may still be ailing her. If she gets through this match she is more than capable of qualifying. But Kristie is a very good player, don't be fooled by her ranking of 200.

Just my silly predictions. The reason I pick Evie to lose, is that when you stick her in a qualifying draw against lesser opponents, well...she stinks up the joint. She sucks in qualifying events when the pressure is on.

If Evie can beat Barna (she is a much better player than Adriana, but it will be up to her nerves) then she will beat Wheeler too (provided Christina gets through, which she should). So basically, if Evie can get through round 1 I think she can qualify. *But* Gisela Dulko, who beat her in round 1 qualies last year, looms in the 3rd round...

aussiefan83
Aug 19th, 2003, 07:37 AM
good luck girls. hopefully we can have a couple of qualifiers (or atleast 1) :)

:wavey:

louloubelle
Aug 19th, 2003, 08:13 AM
Id love to see Evie vs. Wheeler matchup. Yeah I would lean towards Evie.

Boogert is tough, and it would be a great win for Sam. It was a good effort against Castano (judging from the scoreline) last week so hopefully she feels some confidence. Hopefully Sam is building the ability to guts out matchs, like Alicia is getting better at.

This is the type of match Rachel loses unfortunately. She should have enough toughness & experience to prevail over an inexperienced player however she's never able to exploit these assets.

Mateo Mathieu
Aug 19th, 2003, 08:45 AM
I really hope Rachel McQuillan wins the match against Maria Fernandez Alves or she better retires at the Australian Open next year! :o

broncosven
Aug 19th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Thats an interesting point about racheal retiring - she usually wins the challenger wildcard to get into Oz open . . . very intersting thought there

i think 2 girls will get through

obviously either evie or christina and then i think sam will - like last year racheal will get to last round and then unfortunately lose again - hope im wrong as racheal is a brilliant player on her day and has been a great ambassator for aussie womens tennis

hopefully pratt and alicia will get favourable matches in there main draws

Gowza
Aug 19th, 2003, 10:35 AM
i'll just be happy if sam gets through to the maindraw.

Go Aussies!

AUSBOY
Aug 19th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Ok, my turn now for predictions.

Firstly I have to say that the Aussies have all drawn excellent 1st rounds! All Aussies drew players ranked 200 and below, Boogert(200) Alves(232) Lefevre(222) and Barna(243)

Stosur should beat Boogert comfortably - Kristie Boogert is basically retired, she's hardly played in recent months, her last 2 singles events were qualifying at French Open and qualifying at Wimbledon (anyone see a trend!), this will most likely be her last singles match of her career as she appears to have given up singles since April. She's lost 5 of her previous 7 matches to the following players, Virag Nemeth, Joanna Sakowicz, Roberta Vinci, Eva Birnerova and Francesca Schiavone, hardly household names except for Francesca. Kristie's game will most likely be rusty and Samantha who is very steady should make light work of her providing her serve isnt off.

McQuillan should thrash Alves - When I saw the draw I thought could Rachel have gotten a better 1st round match! If she loses this she must realise its time to retire after the Australian Open. I mean she still has the skills IMO but she's wasting her time if she's that fragile mentally and doesnt have the confidence to win this. I think she's overdue for a win outside Australia too! This is Alves first Grand Slam match, she basically just plays $10K's in South America LOL

Wheeler should outperform Lefevre - Christina has the hardest first round IMO but she still should be able to get through this. Lefevre though has had a very consistent year with some solid wins over top 200 players but Christina has the experience in Grand Slam qualifying and is a league above Lefevre.

Dominikovic should outrally Adriana Barna - Adriana doesnt have a powerful game and Evie tends to play well against the ralliers as she has amazing patience and consistency. Last week Evie came up against a heavy hitter who had nothing to lose. This week she comes up against a rallier whose biggest weapon is consistency which also happens to be Evie's biggest strength as well. Evie's serve should see her through this and her lobs/topspin backhand which should bounce above small Adriana's head!

Its looking good to gettin 4 Aussies through but as always I expect maybe a couple will choke hehehe

broncosven
Aug 19th, 2003, 12:07 PM
well said on all levels

quite surprising about how for once our girls are the 'favourates'

Vicky88
Aug 19th, 2003, 11:45 PM
Off to a good start, Wheeler won her first round easily.

At the moment Evie is down 3-4 40 all on her serve.

AUSBOY
Aug 20th, 2003, 01:04 AM
Evie the "Pathetic"

Talk about suffering nerves, tensing up and choking.

Only way her ranking will ever be consistently in the top 100 is if she plays 35 tournaments a year!

Tennis Australia better not give her a wildcard into the main draw of the Aust Open next year!

AUSBOY
Aug 20th, 2003, 01:07 AM
On the bright side, Christina Wheeler has played Adriana Barna before and beaten her in 3 sets, so a repeat performance would be nice!

TS
Aug 20th, 2003, 02:49 AM
I hate to say I told you so :)

LOL.

AUSBOY
Aug 20th, 2003, 03:38 AM
LOL yeah your analysis was spot on with Evie the 'stinker'!!

broncosven
Aug 20th, 2003, 03:39 AM
yeah at least christina won - i have no idea what evie was doing but christinas performance was encouraging and i think if evie won christina would of beaten her anyway

lets pray that sam and racheal win too !!

broncosven
Aug 20th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Unfortunately Racheal lost quite easily 6/2 6/3 i think and Sam is closing it out after winning the 1st she is up a break in the 2nd

GO AUSSIE

TS
Aug 21st, 2003, 03:08 AM
Well done Sam :)

Rachel. Nothing to say. Just retire. Disgraceful loss :o

OK, so round 2

Christina Wheeler v Adriana Barna - Christina should get through...but Barna would be on a high after getting one of her best ever career wins, so anything is possible. Still, if Chris loses this...I will be majorly disappointed.

Sam Stosur v Adriana Serra-Zanetti - Winnable for Sam. Adriana as slumped badly this year but is slowly picking up her game. Could go either way, but I'll stick with Sam in 3. It's on her racquet.

Gowza
Aug 21st, 2003, 03:15 AM
looking at the match stats sam only had 39% of first serves in so to win it in straight sets is a very good effort. she has a winnable match in round 2 and i pick her to win (i agree with TS on this one).

broncosven
Aug 21st, 2003, 03:58 AM
Yeah i agree

chris and sam should both win there next matches quite easily

both have opposition that there are quite of beating

we should see both girls in the main draw

louloubelle
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:13 AM
Hope all these predictions and positive energy help the girls ;)

Without knowing much about Barna (apart that she's lost to Breadmore... in which gives Chris a big chance) and ASZ (who can be tough but hopefully Sam's serve troubles her doublehander strokes) hopefully they can take these opportunities

As for Rachel & Evie it's no surprise that happened.....

Mateo Mathieu
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:18 AM
No comment for Rachel McQuillan :rolleyes:

Gosh, she better retires at the Australian Open!!

louloubelle
Aug 21st, 2003, 06:53 AM
It's up to her. If she's still enjoying the game and earning money despite these losses then good for her.

But the way she's playing, it would be a sad reflection on some of the Aussie girls that are vying for wildcards (Evie, Chris, Sam, Casey, Lauren) if Rachel dominates the 6 x 25K Challengers in November and gets that prized one.

Question: Say if Rachel decides to retire after the Oz Open (and she hasn't earnt a Wildcard through the Challengers) does Tennis Aus give her a wildcard for old times sake?? :confused: :unsure:

broncosven
Aug 21st, 2003, 07:33 AM
I dont think she would be enjoying the game right now losing 1st round qualies in her past couple slams and challenger events.

Well isnt there 9 wild cards ( 1 asain, 1 british and 1 french) so thats 6 for aussies

i think if racheal doesnt win the wildcard through the uncle toby's TA should give her a wildcard so she can end her career like Chang at Us but then again give it to another aussie tennis player who can use ot to get into higher events of tour and win herself some prize money

ANYHOW

GO SAM!!!
GO CHRISTINA !!!!!

lets savage some pride for aussies in qualies

ozfan44
Aug 21st, 2003, 07:48 AM
there is 8 wildcards and i think we should drop the asian one asian tennis is strong enough these days without getting extra help and besides more aussie girls need the chance anyway back to the open

i will have a mental breakdown if wheeler manages to lose to adriana barna, she should be able to wrap this one up easily if she can sustain her first round form. anyway good luck wheels 3rd up on court 15 tonight

as for sam well i think that first serve had better get going tonight or zaentti might find her form

louloubelle
Aug 21st, 2003, 07:50 AM
I dont think she would be enjoying the game right now losing 1st round qualies in her past couple slams and challenger events.

Well isnt there 9 wild cards ( 1 asain, 1 british and 1 french) so thats 6 for aussies

i think if racheal doesnt win the wildcard through the uncle toby's TA should give her a wildcard so she can end her career like Chang at Us but then again give it to another aussie tennis player who can use ot to get into higher events of tour and win herself some prize money

ANYHOW

GO SAM!!!
GO CHRISTINA !!!!!

lets savage some pride for aussies in qualies

There's 8 w/c. Yes, one to France (which probably will happen again), one to Asia. The British arrangement was for this year, not sure if it will happen in 2004. That leaves 5-6 discounting anyone from overseas also. She may get one, maybe due to the fact that there mightn't be any others deserving either!

louloubelle
Aug 21st, 2003, 07:53 AM
there is 8 wildcards and i think we should drop the asian one asian tennis is strong enough these days without getting extra help and besides more aussie girls need the chance anyway back to the open

That won't happen, Australian Open is promoting itself as the Asian grandslam for the last few years. The reason for the huge exposure given to Srichapan and Asian players like Sugiyama and Cho playing on show courts.

Mateo Mathieu
Aug 21st, 2003, 01:03 PM
Yeah, Rachel usually do well in $25K Australian Challengers so, wait and see for how she going.

Vicky88
Aug 21st, 2003, 10:58 PM
The good news for today is that Christina won. It was a 3 setter and must have lasted 3 hours or so. Was a bit nerve-racking because the scoreboard stopped updating at 5-4 in the 3rd set. Hopefully she can get thru the last round of qualifying.

As for the AO wildcards, if McQuillan does not win the challenger circuit I doubt if TA will give her a farewell WC. She has had an absolute shocker of a year and giving her the WC would be a waste. Don't think I am anti-Rachel, because I am not, she has been a good player over the years. However, don't think she has a high enough profile in Australia to be given a WC a la Chang.

I would be surprised if the Asian and French WC's are discontinued.

broncosven
Aug 21st, 2003, 11:00 PM
Christina beat barna 6/4 4/6 6/4

obviously an extremely close match - lets hope she can win her next match and qualify and then draw someone else besides molik

Christina is actually quite amazing in that she hasnt played a grand slam match in her ranking points yet has a ranking of about 170 if she can win a match her and then 1 or 2 at Oz open she would be alot higher

Mateo Mathieu
Aug 21st, 2003, 11:30 PM
Rachel McQuillan has tape around her left knee! :(

ozfan44
Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:47 AM
good luck christina although i was shocked to see she lost her serve like seven times in the match will definately need to work on that now plays yulia beygelzimer (sorry bout the spelling) and im sort of confident she can get through this one.
sam lost 76(1) 63 to serra zanetti not a real shock to me better luck next time sam hope you get into some of the asian events and climb up the rankings

Gowza
Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:20 AM
sam was up 4-1 in that first set it's certainly dissapointing that she didn't win a set.

SpikeyAidanm
Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:36 AM
Where is the Sam who beat Conchita Martinez this year :confused: :sad:

broncosven
Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:18 AM
It is a bit confusing where the 3rd round Oz and pushing davenport at wimbledon goes from time to time

she needs to more consistent and win some games before OZ cause then unless she gets to the 3rd round again her ranking is going down

GO CHRISTINA!!!!

broncosven
Aug 22nd, 2003, 10:54 PM
Unfortunately Christina lost :sad: in 3 sets

but venus williams has withdrawn so without goin through all rankning id say she has ann outside chance of getting the lucky loser spot

broncosven
Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:07 AM
Naturally Alicia has drawn the highest qualifier Jelena Kositana???

still think its bull but anyways good luck alicia win this the start the run into the 2nd week