PDA

View Full Version : Trying to learn English Lingo!

andylover_16
Aug 18th, 2003, 04:01 PM
can anyone help me in learning english lingo i know some words but im trying to learn the whole lingo in all.....i never knew coldplay was considered "indie".....which mean not mainstream.....this is a good learning experience:yipee:

AjdeNate!
Aug 18th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Some slang sentences:
"It's off the heezee fa sheezee"
"Fa shizzle, ma nizzle"

Slang words/phrases:
crunk, crunked
off the chain
from the gate

alexusjonesfan
Aug 18th, 2003, 04:20 PM
are you looking for english lingo as in Brit lingo? or just North Americanese slang (yeah, I made up that word)
if it's the latter, an ebonics dictionary would be a good place to start :lol:

AjdeNate!
Aug 18th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Completely agree with caelestia! Or buy a few rap CDs. :lol:

Martian Willow
Aug 18th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Indie is short for independent. It used to be that commercial pop acts were on major labels (ie big corporations) like Sony or Parlophone. There were smaller record companies like 4AD, Creation and Factory. The idea was that the corporations were businesses, while smaller labels were run by enthusiasts who gave their acts more autonomy. This gave self-righteous stewdents the right to consider 'indie' superior to 'major label pop'. A lot of 'indie' acts were guitar bands at a time when pop was becoming more synthetic (we're talking mid '80s to early '90s), so the indie tag became associated with a particular sound, which came to be called indie music. A lot of indie labels went bust, the bigger groups signed to major labels, so the real meaning of 'indie' died out. Now it just means a certain kind of guitar band, like Coldplay or Travis. The real independent labels these days are in the dance/electronic scene, but nobody calls them indie. :)

Dava
Aug 18th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Do you want some real ENGLISH terms, then Ill give you some, but if you just want to know some music terms dunna blag me head mate!

Jennifer's wife
Aug 18th, 2003, 05:18 PM
CHOON!!!! English slang word for a tune u really like;)

CC
Aug 18th, 2003, 05:28 PM

That term sounds familiar.

doloresc
Aug 18th, 2003, 05:32 PM

haha! :) i recall this time i met i met an english girl and she was talking about travelling in the sahara and loving the sand "junes". ;)

controlfreak
Aug 18th, 2003, 07:36 PM
I believe a Bangin' Choon is a way of describing a particularly pleasurable musical arrangement.

andylover_16
Aug 18th, 2003, 07:46 PM
no i want to know the lingo in all not just music terms.....y would i buy some rap cds to try to learn......im confused.....this happens alot!:unsure:

AjdeNate!
Aug 18th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Rap artists use the current slang expressions, and are often credited for creating them. To be hip or urban, one would need to know and use these expressions with their other trendy friends.

Kart
Aug 18th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Seles why have you taken Monica out of your signature ? :sad:

AjdeNate!
Aug 18th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Oh, it's nothing offensive. And I've not given up on her. I just have no good news to update the site with right now. So it (the site) is kinda on "hold" until she comes back. :sad:

controlfreak
Aug 19th, 2003, 12:36 AM
maybe you can give us some more examples