PDA

View Full Version : US Open Thread

ns_Henin
Aug 17th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Good Luck JUSTINE!!! :woohoo: :hearts: :worship: :kiss: :bounce:

Hingiswinsthis
Aug 18th, 2003, 01:30 AM
okay Justine, it was a very SOLID week in Toronto u had;) now rest up and get ready for the US Open, you can win it!!!:D

per4ever
Aug 18th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Good luck Justine!!!!!

Win it and prove all haters that you can win a major on hardcourt :cool:

The Crow
Aug 18th, 2003, 10:19 AM
And Carlos will be back! (although she doesn't need him anymore apparently ;))

Go Justine

fleemke³
Aug 19th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Good luck girl :bounce:

Hingiswinsthis
Aug 20th, 2003, 04:11 AM
5 days away till u start on ur journey to become US Open Champion Justine:):)!!!:bounce:

jujufan
Aug 20th, 2003, 07:04 AM
counting till deadline ....
:bounce: Go girl! :bounce:

Nemesis
Aug 20th, 2003, 08:23 PM
The draw is just out. Relatively easy for Justine to get to the semis. At first sight the easiest of the top seeds.

R1: qualifier
R2: Randriantefy or Talaja
R3: Mikaelian, Weingartner, Obata or qualifier
R4: Bovina, Safina, Reeves or Pistolesi
QF: Myskina, Maleeva, Serna or Dokic
SF: Venus, Capriati, Dementieva or Sugiyama
F: Clijsters, Davenport, Mauresmo or Rubin

Good luck Justine :bounce: A SF is very likely! :D The heck a win is even likely :p

saki
Aug 20th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Yes, I think Justine should make it to the semis without too much problem. Then, well, we'll see, but I think a relatively easy path to the semis will help her against the player she'll meet there.

Martian KC
Aug 20th, 2003, 11:03 PM
Easy draw for Justine...let's hope she can focus from the start!

greg²
Aug 20th, 2003, 11:25 PM
pfff, Venus and Jennifer in her half. Once again, Clijsters is very lucky :mad:
Com' on Justine, beat Venus and Kim to become the true number one of the world

Brαm
Aug 21st, 2003, 10:22 AM
pfff, Venus and Jennifer in her half. Once again, Clijsters is very lucky :mad:
Com' on Justine, beat Venus and Kim to become the true number one of the world
Oh please :rolleyes:
Her draw isn't tougher than Kim's!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a Justine-Venus battle :drool:

fleemke³
Aug 21st, 2003, 11:36 AM
Well I'll take it match for match :) and IF Justine and IF Venus would make it into the semis .. I just hope op a great match with Justine as a winner :drool:

Good luck Justine :)

saki
Aug 21st, 2003, 12:17 PM
I think Clijsters has a harder path to the semis, but possible the easier opponents after that. I'm happy with Justine's draw though... I'd prefer her to play Venus/Capriati than Lindsay.

Hingiswinsthis
Aug 22nd, 2003, 07:28 AM
i'm glad Justine has a relatively easy draw;) someone in general messages posted a thread that tried to make us nervous about Justine's draw;) see for your self:D

fleemke³
Aug 22nd, 2003, 10:41 AM
*goes looking for it*

The Crow
Aug 22nd, 2003, 10:59 AM
WARNING: Anika Kapros is in third round qualifying :eek: :eek: ;)

Go Jarmila Gajdosova! :bounce: :bounce: ;)

fleemke³
Aug 22nd, 2003, 12:46 PM
KAPROS :eek: :o

Astro Jetson
Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:28 PM
WARNING: Anika Kapros is in third round qualifying :eek: :eek: ;)

:bolt:

Hingiswinsthis
Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:32 PM
Justine's will blow Kapros off the court;)

Martian KC
Aug 23rd, 2003, 12:36 AM
kapros will be no trouble for the new and improved Justine!;)

ns_Henin
Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:00 AM
And we have a rematch of 2002 RG first round :o
Good Luck Justine!!! Venus is out and you must take the advantage!!! Take the title home, Justine!!!

per4ever
Aug 23rd, 2003, 08:30 AM
lol and Kapros it is :o

We want a bagel Justine!!

Nemesis
Aug 23rd, 2003, 10:44 AM
Our nightmare has come true :eek: :mad: :fiery: ... :lol: :haha:

Payback time, Justine!!!! I thought she'd never see her again and would never have the chance to take revenge. But now ... Lord praise coincidence!!! Bagels, breadsticks, a bagel and/or a breadstick ... It's all good for me! As long as she wins ;)

starr
Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:00 PM
Here's an article from the Guardian. It rehashes a lot of stuff. Nothing really new, but still, I thought it was a good read.

US Open

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fortune favours tour's tough cookie

Henin has what it takes to capitalise on Williams sisters' absence

Stephen Bierley
Saturday August 23, 2003
The Guardian

With the Williams sisters away, Venus having pulled out last nightafter failing to recover from the stomach injury which troubled her in the Wimbledon final, the mice are set to play when the US Open gets under way at Flushing Meadows on Monday.Yet many of the top players who are hoping to win the title in the absence of the two Americans may be inclined to think that even though the big cats will not be there they still have a rat in their midst.

Belgium's Justine Henin-Hardenne is what the Americans call a tough cookie. She may struggle to reach 5ft 6in in her cotton socks, and weighs in at barely 9st, but the French Open champion has acquired a formidable reputation for taking no prisoners on court while at the same time needling some of her main rivals to the point of fury.
Serena Williams, currently recovering from a knee operation, openly accused Henin-Hardenne of cheating after being beaten in the semi-finals at Roland Garros this year, and Kim Clijsters, who has recently replaced Williams by default as the world No1, pointed the finger of gamesmanship at her fellow Belgian after losing to her this month in the final of the Acura Classic in Carlsbad, California.

Henin-Hardenne remained unrepentant: "I think the other players don't like it that I appear less strong and tall. Mentally it is hard for them to compete against me."

What drove Serena Williams to tears and caused the normally easy-going Clijsters to scowl darkly is Henin-Hardenne's unbending desire to prove herself as good or better than either of them. "I always believe in my chances, and the others don't like it."

The spat with Serena Williams, for which the American exacted swift and complete revenge at Wimbledon, will obviously have no bearing on the US Open. However, the rivalry between Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne, who may well meet in the final a fortnight today, will now be perceived in a new and harsher light after Carlsbad.

Clijsters had won the opening set with relative ease, at which point Henin-Hardenne took an injury time-out to rebandage her blisters. She re-emerged to win 3-6, 6-2, 6-3, prompting Clijsters to complain that her fellow Belgian, who at 21 is a year older, had not been unduly troubled by her feet and took the break to regroup mentally. "It didn't look like it was hurting. She's done it before when we've played. It's a sign she is not at her best and she has to resort to other means."

This was the first time on the professional circuit that the two Belgians have come to verbal blows, although in truth they have never been exactly bosom buddies. There were numerous contretemps in their formative years which were ironed out and glossed over by their respective coaches. In Carlsbad the candid Henin-Hardenne hit the nail on the head when she said the cause of Clijsters' outburst was one of sheer disappointment and frustration - "I totally understand it."

Clijsters has reached the No1 spot ahead of Henin-Hardenne, currently the No3, but she has done it without winning a slam, which in the 28-year history of the women's rankings is unique. And as the US Open favourite she will be reminded of it every time she plays. Henin-Hardenne, well aware of the pressure building on Clijsters, will be out to take full advantage.

American eyes will be on Venus Williams, without a slam title since winning here against her sister in 2001, and New York's darling Jennifer Capriati, who has never won the title. So who will become the favourite of the glitzy, rumbustious New York night sessions and who, in Serena Williams' absence, will be the meanest in the tennis mean streets?

Patrick McEnroe, brother of John and the current US Davis Cup captain, has few doubts: "Henin-Hardenne has to be just licking her chops because she has a dream draw. Mentally, she's the toughest one out there and with Venus and Capriati due to meet in the quarter-finals, she'll only have one of them to face before the final.

"Obviously Kim Clijsters has been the most consistent player, but she's yet to win a big one. I think she's ready but she has lost to Henin-Hardenne in a couple of big matches. Obviously the biggest one was at the finals of the French where she really didn't show up mentally."

Clijsters holds an 8-7 career advantage over Henin-Hardenne, but the latter has won three of their last four encounters. A little surprisingly, neither has gone beyond the quarter-finals at Flushing Meadows but this time, with Serena not there, the stakes are the highest they have ever been.

Current form favours Clijsters, so can she win when she is supposed to? She is unequivocal. "Yes, and I'm definitely looking forward to revenge over Justine if we meet in the final." Henin-Hardenne - tennis's Ms Dynamite - will not be fazed by that. Having won one slam she wants more - and to replace Clijsters as No1. "I didn't use to have the confidence, Now I have." Let the battle of the Belgians commence.

Hingiswinsthis
Aug 23rd, 2003, 08:10 PM
Yes, this is World War III in New York in 2 days;) One trying to reach farther than the other, and Pam Shriver was right today: she said atleast the finals this year won't be a lovey-duvy final between family memebers:lol:, the final will be WAR for all the ladies because this is a golden chance to win a major.

Right now I'd say Justine and Jennifer are the strongest coming in the US Open.

What a dream draw for Justine;)

MartinaI
Aug 24th, 2003, 06:38 PM
GOOD LUCK Juju!

The Crow
Aug 25th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Good luck Justine. Not too confident about the Kapros match :eek: :eek: :mad:

fleemke³
Aug 25th, 2003, 11:17 AM
YIKES KAPROS :eek:

Go Justine it's payback time :devil: :bounce: It would be a great birthdaypresent for me :angel:

Astro Jetson
Aug 26th, 2003, 01:01 AM
Good luck Justine!!! Revenge time! :bounce:

I'm already looking forward to Jen vs. Justine match :o

Hingiswinsthis
Aug 26th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Take down Kapros tomorrow Justine;)! Haha the match is at 11am and I wake up to my tv turning on automatically to it:lol: Make quick work of her Juju;)!

The Crow
Aug 26th, 2003, 01:32 PM
*starting to get nervous*

fleemke³
Aug 26th, 2003, 01:54 PM
:bounce::bounce:

Martian KC
Aug 26th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Justine up first!!:bounce:

fleemke³
Aug 26th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Damn bad match :o:o But Jusitne always has bad matches in the beginning :)

Good luck in round 2 :)

theheninfan
Aug 27th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Congrats on the win Justine! Good luck next round! :)

ns_Henin
Aug 27th, 2003, 06:25 AM
Good Luck against Talaja, Justine :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hingiswinsthis
Aug 27th, 2003, 08:36 AM
no need to hit the panic button;) i've seen too many Justine 1st rounds that look like this and she ends up winning the title:D

fleemke³
Aug 27th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Justine is suffering from a SMALL back injury :sad: Let's hope it don't get worse!

Hingiswinsthis
Aug 27th, 2003, 06:44 PM
:sad: too many damn injuries around. the healthiest one WILL prevail in the end.........rest up Justine and put ice on that back!!!

fleemke³
Aug 28th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Some pictures :)

http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_day02_001_henin.jpg http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_day02_002_henin.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030826/capt.1061919275.us_open_xnyf110.jpg http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030826/capt.1061918953.us_open_xnyf111.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030826/capt.1061917038.us_open_xnyf107.jpg http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030826/capt.1061916325.us_open_xnyf102.jpg

Good luck against Talaja Justine :)

gladysharon
Aug 28th, 2003, 03:47 PM
GO JUSTINE!! :bounce: :bounce:

fleemke³
Aug 28th, 2003, 10:57 PM
What A Great Match Justine! Keep it up and nobody is going to stop you !!!! :bounce: :worship: :dance:

Hingiswinsthis
Aug 29th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Justine seems to be playing players she's never played before or have not faced in a while (ie. Kapros, Talaja) and now a diminutive Japanese player Saori Obata. No problems here, Justine should just attack the 2nd serve cuz ALL of the Japanese women have weak 2nd serves. I hope Justine learned from the Kapros match about attacking these slow serves............go JUJU! NEXT!

Elleke
Aug 29th, 2003, 09:20 AM
great match! Keep going Justine! All the way!
:bounce:

fleemke³
Aug 29th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Justine seems to be playing players she's never played before or have not faced in a while (ie. Kapros, Talaja) and now a diminutive Japanese player Saori Obata. No problems here, Justine should just attack the 2nd serve cuz ALL of the Japanese women have weak 2nd serves. I hope Justine learned from the Kapros match about attacking these slow serves............go JUJU! NEXT!

She did learn :D She was attacking Talaja's weak serves as hell :cool:

http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_day04_41henin.jpg http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_day04_39Henin.jpg

The Crow
Aug 29th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Good match, although I think we can agree that Talaja played a lot worse than Kapros in the first round.

Good aggressive match from Justine though!

per4ever
Aug 29th, 2003, 03:32 PM
I want a Justine vs Claudine match!!!!

Hingiswinsthis
Aug 31st, 2003, 06:14 AM
another player she hasn't played yet.......Safina.......and she's the next victim;)

gladysharon
Aug 31st, 2003, 01:07 PM
Go Justine!!

Astro Jetson
Aug 31st, 2003, 02:41 PM

Martian KC
Aug 31st, 2003, 07:57 PM
I've never seen Dinara play! I hope USA shows it! Gooo Justine!!!:bounce:

Hingiswinsthis
Sep 1st, 2003, 06:23 AM
the only time i've seen Safina play was when she got munched by Serena last year :lol: She's a solid ground stroker, could use a few tips from big bro;) (btw..how's big Marat doin, any one know when he'll be back?)

fleemke³
Sep 1st, 2003, 09:00 PM
Safina isn't bad but mentally :o:o

Not a great match Justine but good enough for a place in the 1/8th final! Good luck against Safina .. if it ever stops raining today :fiery:

:bounce::bounce:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030831/capt.1062299702.us_open_xnyf172.jpg http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030831/capt.1062299495.us_open_xnyf171.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030831/capt.1062297127.us_open_xnyf166.jpg http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030831/capt.1062297059.us_open_xnyf165.jpg

Hingiswinsthis
Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:02 AM
well played match for Justine;) I saw it and she improved on two important things from that Kapros match:

*she attacked Safina's serves (even hitting winners off hard 1st serves :eek::)

*came into net with some crafty volleys that got the crowd happy.

She and Jennifer Capriati both said that they got anxious in the 2nd sets of their match because they wanted to get it over before the rains started to come again.

It's nice to see Justine pick up her level, She REALLY has a chance now to win;) 3 More matches she said in an interview on court;)!!! :bounce:

ns_Henin
Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:40 AM
Good Luck Justine in the Quarter :kiss:

The Crow
Sep 2nd, 2003, 11:47 AM
Good match! And it finished yesterday, which is a very good thing (although it's unfair to Myskina and Pierce though, but c'est la vie)

fleemke³
Sep 2nd, 2003, 12:45 PM
Great Justine :D It was also great to see you laugh with the public before the match started :worship:

Keep it up girl! :bounce:

http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_day08_024Henin.jpg http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_day08_025Henin.jpg

sperosgeorgejr
Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:48 PM
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2003usopen/090103JH.html

2003 US OPEN -- A USTA EVENT
NEW YORK CITY

September 1, 2003

J. HENIN-HARDENNE/D. Safina
6-0, 6-3

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE

THE MODERATOR: Questions.

Q. Can you take us through what happened when the referee came out? Did he actually tell you he was calling it off?

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: No. I mean, he said we were going to wait a little bit more, and they knew it was going to stop. It was a little bit frustrating, two or three times I had to stop. But it's okay. We finally played. It's late. It's okay.

Q. Did you have to argue with him and say no?

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: I said to him, "Just take a decision." It was late already. It was almost 10:30 when we started the match. But they knew the rain was going to stop. So, I mean, we just had to wait a few more minutes. The crowd was great, so it was a fun experience.

Q. Did you have fun watching?

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: Yeah, it was fun. Before the match, it was good. I was very relaxed. You could see the way I played, so that's good.

Q. Later on when she started winning games .

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: Yeah, she served well to come back at 5-1, and then the crowd was getting excited a little bit, was behind her 100 percent. They wanted more tennis. It wasn't so easy, but finally, yeah, I lost a bit my aggressivity at the end of the match. But finally I came through, so that's good news.

Q. Your first time through to the quarters here?

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: First time, yeah.

Q. How do you feel about that?

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: I'm happy. You know, I want to just try to play my best tennis and we will see. I'm in the quarters, that's great, but I want more. I just do my best and we will see.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports....

fleemke³
Sep 2nd, 2003, 02:48 PM
I'm wachting the match again ... well I'm listening to it :cool: It's on Eurosport and I just enjoy it when Dutch (or from other countries) commentators are talking about Justine ... and according to him .. she played GREAT :bounce: ;)

Hingiswinsthis
Sep 3rd, 2003, 04:58 AM
lol the fans were funny, they were dancing the macarena and danced to the ole ole song;)

fleemke³
Sep 3rd, 2003, 01:49 PM
I read in the newspaper toaday that Justine had to visit the fitness room after her match against Safina She started at 10.30pm, it was finished at 11.30pm, pressconferences and after that fitnessing :eek: Well Pat (E.) said she had to do that :o she believed him. Pat also said Justine will still improve a lot this winter :bounce:

fleemke³
Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:42 PM
I was just wondering ... when will Justine play her quaterfinal? :o:o:o Myskina-Pierce isn't over yet, it's raining again, tomorrow also doesn't look that good ... :confused:

ns_Henin
Sep 4th, 2003, 01:41 AM
Rain is very stupid :fiery: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Good Luck Justine :D :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

fleemke³
Sep 4th, 2003, 04:52 PM
GOOD LUCK :bounce:

ns_Henin
Sep 5th, 2003, 04:16 AM
Good Luck in the Semi Justine :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
Take your 2nd Slams here babe :hearts: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

fleemke³
Sep 5th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Wooooohooooooooow!!!! :woohoo: :yippee: :yeah: :hug: :dance: :bowdown: :smooch: :bigclap: :clap2: :bounce: :kiss: :worship: :cool: :D :woohoo:

Good luck against Jenny!

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20030905/capt.sge.bvv33.050903074620.photo02.default-301x384.jpg http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030905/capt.1062729044.us_open_tennis_xnyf209.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030905/capt.1062726647.us_open_xnyf197.jpg

greg²
Sep 6th, 2003, 05:49 AM
omg, omg, omg, she did it again :worship: juju :worship:
I hope she 'll recover for the final...
what a match, what a match... :eek: :eek:

fleemke³
Sep 6th, 2003, 06:11 AM
*speechless* *proud*

:worship::woohoo:

one to go Justine ... hopefully you recover well an take that second slam :D But whatever happens you played a hell of a tournament! :D

Hingiswinsthis
Sep 6th, 2003, 07:05 AM
yes, regardless of the result, you will forever this fight Justine and that you were able to come back once again! :bounce: let's take that trophy home JuJu!!!

ns_Henin
Sep 6th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Congratulations Justine :kiss: :worship: :woohoo:
Good Luck in the Final :hearts: :kiss: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hurley
Sep 6th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Awesome stuff Justine...so powerful :worship:

First Roland Garros, now this...I'm so lucky to be a fan :hearts:

gladysharon
Sep 6th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Justine... :worship: :woohoo: You're the best!!
You're truly a great player...dedication & all!!
Love you so much! :bowdown:
Now Justine...hope you are well to beat Kim!! :bounce: :bounce:

joey
Sep 6th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Congrats Justine, what an awesome match against Jennifer.

Good luck for the finals :bounce:

Hingiswinsthis
Sep 6th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Allez!!

ns_Henin
Sep 7th, 2003, 07:53 AM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
CONGRATS Justine!!!!!!!!!!!!

gladysharon
Sep 7th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Congrats Ju!!
We should hail you the QUEEN OF TENNIS! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

fleemke³
Sep 7th, 2003, 03:39 PM
WOEEEEEEEEEEEEHOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW :bounce: :dance::dance::dance::dance: :cool:

bubbliscious
Sep 8th, 2003, 04:48 PM
http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/1063026195.gif

Martian KC
Sep 8th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Congrats again, Justine!!! Have a lovely celebration!:angel:

Mercury Rising
Sep 8th, 2003, 08:44 PM
http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/1063026195.gif
Wow that's just great.

CONGRATS JUSTINE :bounce: :worship:
She's so amazing, I don't have words for it.

Sep 8th, 2007, 05:11 AM
I just wanted to bump this thread so we could remember the memories from the first title and get our motivation burning for tonight

Sep 8th, 2007, 05:12 AM
I can't believe the post count some of you have

Ntour
Sep 8th, 2007, 05:20 AM
ALLEZ TIME FOR THE REPEAT

in 03 she won the french and the US
in 03 she won toronto just like this year and backed it up with a USO title

I PRAY SHE CAN DO IT AGAIN, One match to go!

Sep 8th, 2007, 02:12 PM
From your lips to god's ears ntour

ns_Henin
Sep 9th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Congratulations Justine and fellow fans! :kiss:

flyingmachine
Sep 9th, 2007, 10:21 AM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Shimizu Amon
Sep 9th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Congrats to Justine and all her fans. Amazing tournament. :yeah:

Agassi Fan
Sep 9th, 2007, 02:31 PM
This was a very great Us Open!

thrust
Sep 9th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Fantastic win, fantastic tournamant, fantastic year, FANTASTIC CHAMPION!!

TLP
Sep 9th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Congratulations Justine and fellow fans! :kiss:

This sentiment echos my feelings. Went to a church function last night and had the final recorded. I was up to almost 1:00 a.m. watching the match. I knew Justine had won but it didn't stop me from the enjoyment of seeing her win her 7th. Felicitations to all you great Juntine fans.