PDA

View Full Version : ok, who is gonna pay the bill?

Fingon
Aug 16th, 2003, 10:20 PM
for the blackout.

It hasn't been mentioned too much, but the costs will be huge, and I mean huge.

the area affected is probably the most industrialized in the entire world.

Friday was totally lost, some factories in Ontario and the US have been shutdown, that includes 3 GM plants in Michigan. There are car factories in Ontario and all are closed

all 3 airports in NYC, Pearson Airport in Toronto, all were closed at least for a few hours and are still operating well below capacity. The tourism industry won't suffer, it will be killed, and the airlines: 9/11, war in Iraq, SARS and now this.

Nevermind that to restore the power they had to use emergency generators that are not efficient and not cheap, and it can take weeks until they can rely on normal sources.

Steel factories in Ontario are closed, that can interrupt essential supply to a lot of industries, particulary in the US.

And don't forget how heavily industrilized Pennsylvannia, Ohio, New York and Michigan are.

I wouldn't buy stock of insurance companies now. I think that in terms of cost (money, not human lives of course), this can be worse than 9/11.

*JR*
Aug 16th, 2003, 10:44 PM
One issue of concern is that while this was apparently a random thing that started in Ohio (LINK) (http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/US/power030815_GMplant.html) it could have be done by hackers; so this may inspire those folks to try to replicate this for any of 3 reasons: mischief, economic blackmail, or cyber-terrorism. Some kimd of redundancy is clearly needed. The fact that the mighty Microsoft was just (yet again) caught with its "Gates Open" :p re. a worm directed @ computers using several OS that it markets can't be reassuring. :eek:

Fingon
Aug 16th, 2003, 10:55 PM
One issue of concern is that while this was apparently a random thing that started in Ohio (LINK) (http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/US/power030815_GMplant.html) it could have be done by hackers; so this may inspire those folks to try to replicate this for any of 3 reasons: mischief, economic blackmail, or cyber-terrorism. Some kimd of redundancy is clearly needed. The fact that the mighty Microsoft was just (yet again) caught with its "Gates Open" :p re. a worm directed @ computers using several OS that it markets can't be reassuring. :eek:

I doubt hackers could have anything to do with this. I don't know for sure but I don't think computers that manage the grid are on the internet and I doubt they are running Windows, most probably Unix in one of its flavours or probably some propietory OS.

About Microsoft, to be fair, one of the reasons there are so many attacks against Microsoft's systems is because there are so many, it's an easier target just because of probabilities, with a high number of computers running Windows, or Office, or SQL Server is more likely to find unprotected or unpatched systems.

Other software companies have the same problems, including Oracle (considered very secured) but they are not as publicised because the failures are dealt with silently but they do have patches.

There are numerous flaws in Lotus Domino or Lotus Notes but they happen mostly at the corporate level.

Recently there was a very serious flaw in Cisco's software, and Cisco's routers handled 90% of all internet traffic, but except in technical forums and publications, it went unnoticed.

Dava
Aug 16th, 2003, 10:56 PM
:rolleyes: all this from one power cut. We have them all the time out here in the country. God Im sure some peoplw in Powys dont even now that Electricity has been invented yet

Bacardi
Aug 17th, 2003, 12:00 AM
I'll donate $2 :dance:

But if they are willing to export my love to me from New York City, they can have every penny I own :hearts:

Mase
Aug 17th, 2003, 12:02 AM
Watch your power bills is all Im saying :rolleyes:

Bacardi
Aug 17th, 2003, 12:05 AM
On our power bills, we get charged a 911 utility tax, and they still haven't put in 911 Emergency service here yet.... And it was supposed to have been completed last year. Several people around here, think the Sheriff and county is using that money to purchase some pretty posh items for personal use..... BASTARDS :mad:

Fingon
Aug 17th, 2003, 02:52 AM
:rolleyes: all this from one power cut. We have them all the time out here in the country. God Im sure some peoplw in Powys dont even now that Electricity has been invented yet

what is Powys?

I am sorry but if you call this just "one power cut" you have no clue whatsoever what happened.

It left 50,000,000 people without electricity, that's 5/6 of the population of the entire UK and more than all of England.

some industries have been paralized, and believe me, the impact of this will be felt everywhere in the world, as was 9/11.

And because some people are worse than us we should just let it go? I don't think that's a solution, let's level down, not up.

Barrie_Dude
Aug 17th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Fingon. Glad to see you made it throuh. I am just down the road (Bloor And Dovercourt) and I know we just got our power back this morning. Things are still screwed in Toronto with the subwyas out.

disposablehero
Aug 17th, 2003, 03:07 AM
In Ohio? What happened to all the finger-pointing at those losers in Canada? I thought it was their fault?

Barrie_Dude
Aug 17th, 2003, 03:19 AM
In Ohio? What happened to all the finger-pointing at those losers in Canada? I thought it was their fault?Well, you know how those evil Canadian terrorists are! :rolleyes:

Fingon
Aug 17th, 2003, 06:55 AM
In Ohio? What happened to all the finger-pointing at those losers in Canada? I thought it was their fault?

didn't you know that Ohio is in Canada?

Fingon
Aug 17th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Fingon. Glad to see you made it throuh. I am just down the road (Bloor And Dovercourt) and I know we just got our power back this morning. Things are still screwed in Toronto with the subwyas out.

back in Toronto?

It was awful, for some reason, my neighbourhood was one of the last to get the power back and only got it this morning. :(

Barrie_Dude
Aug 17th, 2003, 06:56 AM
didn't you know that Ohio is in Canada?
Yeah, we stole Ohio while the power was out! :rolleyes: