PDA

View Full Version : Which is more important...good voice...good songs.

Dava
Aug 16th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Some people have excellent singing voices, and send shivers down your spine. But they're careers are hampered by the fact that the tracks they produce are quite shite. Lets be honest Gareth Gates can sing, but his songs are bollocks. On the other hand Ludimee sounds herself with top hip hop produers to get good songs, but sounds like a strangled cat.

But they are the extreme. I mean people like J.Lo who get the producers in to cover up the fact they have weak vocals, thus a lack os power ballads on her albums.

Jack White would not be winning any ...Idol contests either.

Please dont mention people like Christina Aguilera who are fortunate to have both.

Chris_Martin's_woman
Aug 16th, 2003, 11:07 PM
hmmm i dont know........coldplay has both though..........not good though.........EXCELLENT!!!

kournikovafan13
Aug 16th, 2003, 11:30 PM
It depends on which kind of music the artist is singing. Lumidee is fortunate that she was singing a hip-hop song that has a fantastic beat along to it (having two talented guest rappers didn't hurt either).

[S@nti]
Aug 16th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Good songs are better :D

TatiAnnahølic
Aug 16th, 2003, 11:42 PM
good songs :o

disposablehero
Aug 17th, 2003, 12:36 AM
It's not "voice" or "production". It's SONGWRITING.

controlfreak
Aug 17th, 2003, 12:36 AM
In general I would have to say that a well-written and catchy song sung by a dying lung cancer patient will usually sound better than a so-called 'diva' (what is the male of diva? div?) singing an average but forgettable song.

This is how Badly Drawn Boy, who has gallons of musical talent but a completely bog-standard singing voice, can sell more records than someone like Girls Aloud, who all have amazing God-given vocal talents, but are given crap songs to sing by their producers.

Actually that's probably a bad example. Replace "sell more records" with "deserve to sell more records" :)

moby
Aug 17th, 2003, 10:50 AM

ditto

Barrie_Dude
Aug 17th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Good Song

BigB08822
Aug 17th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Its really not an easy question to answer.

If a person has a great voice, they don't need the best songs. On the other hand, if someone has a weak voice then they need great songs. It just depends and really goes both ways. I prefer voice though because a person with a great voice can usually make any song really good.

lurker
Aug 17th, 2003, 05:24 PM
It's not the just the voice or the songwriting...it's the production of the whole song. Let's see, a 'bad' (we're not talking tone-deaf here) voice + good songwriting and good production = record sales and airplay. A good voice + bad songwriting (again, we're not talking tone-deaf writing) and good production = cut-out bin.

Songwriting wins. (These days, promo dollars help too.) That being said, there are such excellent vocalists out there who also can inflect 'artistic soul' to anything they sing so that it sounds salvageable even if it's bad. I'll use the aforementioned Aguilera as an example (even if I think she's a ho.) Actually, for a combination of both songwriting and voice, I'd look to Norah Jones' and Alicia Keyes' latest. I'd give Evanescence's Amy Lee the voice, but not the songwriting. The voice grabs you at first, but the song wears thin on you after a while.

timray
Dec 14th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Good Songs

No Name Face
Dec 14th, 2005, 05:23 PM
good voice

R&J
Dec 14th, 2005, 05:43 PM
both

Black Mamba.
Dec 14th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Good Songs and Good looks

Come-on-kim
Dec 14th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Both

K.U.C.W-R.V
Dec 14th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Songs.

Homer & Co
Dec 14th, 2005, 07:18 PM
There's another one: instruments

I think it depends on the song. If the song is instrumental, it's production and instruments of course; if it isn't, the voice(s) must have some quality, but mostly I still tend to go for the sound, and the lyrics.

CooCooCachoo
Dec 14th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Production.

Homer & Co
Dec 14th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Some people have excellent singing voices, and send shivers down your spine.
Hey, that really happens to me sometimes when I hear certain songs. Shame on the people who say I have no spine.
But they're careers are hampered by the fact that the tracks they produce are quite shite. Lets be honest Gareth Gates can sing, but his songs are bollocks. On the other hand Ludimee sounds herself with top hip hop produers to get good songs, but sounds like a strangled cat.

But they are the extreme. I mean people like J.Lo who get the producers in to cover up the fact they have weak vocals, thus a lack os power ballads on her albums.
Maybe, but then again, even if she had a voice to perform ballads, it wouldn't sell that well (there is already a Mariah Carey). Plus, an actress who sings power ballads doesn't sound right.

CanadianBoy21
Dec 14th, 2005, 07:59 PM
You can have the greatest voice, but if you sing about cammels, ducks and elephants, it won't turn out that good. :tape:

!<blocparty>!
Dec 14th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Good songs.

Why do people keep bumping threads? :o

Homer & Co
Dec 14th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Good songs.

Why do people keep bumping threads? :o
Damn, I didn't realize that somebody bumped it (Curse you, timray!). This is the second time it happened to me. I mostly check the dates but if it's a short thread, I sometimes forget it.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Dec 14th, 2005, 09:42 PM
To me the lyrics are really important. I hate songs about nothing

ico4498
Dec 14th, 2005, 11:14 PM
i prefer (most days) good lyrics ... but a sweet jam with crappy lyrics can be appealing too.

guess it depends on if i'm reflective or in a dancing mood.

flyingmachine
Dec 14th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Great voices are always great for buying records or go to see them perform but great songs inspites people which goes a lot beyond than great voices. However it's best to have both.

new-york
Dec 15th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Good songs are the whole package. If the voice is that shitty, the prod is messed up.

Pheobo
Dec 15th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Songwriting.

Martian Stacey
Dec 15th, 2005, 05:42 AM
A good voice is the most important i think, but its frustrating for me when i hear a voice that i like but when i actually listen to the song, its terrible.