PDA

View Full Version : Alanis Morissette

SerialKiller#69
Aug 16th, 2003, 12:44 PM
I know that most of us know who Alanis is and most likely, you have the Jagged Little Pill album. So what do you think about her?

:wavey:

Benny
Aug 16th, 2003, 12:53 PM
I think Alanis is great, I have the jagged little pill album and its one of the best albums I have. Sad to see she doesn't continue with that kind of music.

controlfreak
Aug 16th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Good music. Needs a haircut.

Experimentee
Aug 16th, 2003, 05:07 PM
I like the stuff she made before the Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie, or whatever thats called. Uninvited is probably my fave song.

Barrie_Dude
Aug 16th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Love Her! She is from Ottawa. Saw her on her Jagged Little Pill your in Columbia South Carolina

martina#1
Aug 16th, 2003, 08:40 PM
alanis is the best: one and you oughta knonw my favorites songs :hearts:

Dahveed
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:02 PM
Good music. Needs a haircut.

Seems she has :confused:

She looks good..

http://www.alanis.com/musings/see7.jpg

splat
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:06 PM
We have the same birthday! :D. I love her. I have her 3 post-pop albums. I think out of them all though, my favourite is Under Rug Swept. But I do like Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie just because it breaks the mold. It isn't 12 songs long (more like 17 I believe), some of the songs are totally unusual (one song has no chorus, bridge, verses any

Mrs. Peel
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:20 PM
If you love Alanis, you might me interested in some work she did on this Album by Jonathan Elias, The Prayer Cycle. He makes remarkable use of her voice on this track, Movement I: Mercy. She sings in Hungarian...simply breathtaking....first time I heard this I cried, her voice in concert with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan...sigh

You can hear a sample on Amazon...her voice is the first voice you hear after the choir...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000ICMK/qid=1061482565/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-6209292-9538453?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

cellophane
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:28 PM
I'm from Alanis's high school (well half the city is, I guess :lol: :lol: :lol: ). ;)

Dahveed
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:29 PM
Yeah i also love the song 'Question', her collaboration with Tricky.

SFIJ is a very special LP. I like it, i love Front Row and Can't Not.

Sonf@
Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:45 PM
Supposed former infatuation junkie is my fave alanis's album and Joining you my fave song. She's very good but somehow she's not of my fave artits.

Megli
Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:46 PM
I like her music :)
Ironic will always be one of my fav songs

SerialKiller#69
Aug 26th, 2003, 11:36 AM
SFIJ has grown on me throughout the years. Alanis is the best songwriter, imo.

Aerien
Aug 26th, 2003, 01:18 PM
I recently bought Jagged Little Pill.
I traded my SFIJ album for Bic Runga's 'Drive' album.

Keep posting your opinions on the SFIJ album, I'm getting interested. :)

polishprodigy
Aug 26th, 2003, 02:35 PM
I think she is great ,but her Jagged Little Pill album seemed to be her best. Since then , she has good but so-so songs. One of her albums flopped, I think "So Pure" was its title. Or the album with that song.

But I will always appreciate her music!

Dahveed
Aug 26th, 2003, 07:16 PM
No 'So Pure' was the third single of SFIJ if i'm not mistaken. She released 'Thank U' and 'Joining You' (with no success whatsoever for this one which is kinda weird cos it's a good song).

'So Pure' had this fun video clip where you see her dancing though but the song is far from being her best one.

On SFIJ, i recommend the song 'One', it's really good. Oh and she also released 'Unsent' in the USA i think.

'Jagged Little Pill' will probably remain her best album but let's hope she comes up with something better some time next year ;) i think she's currently recording a new album..

CanadianBoy21
Aug 26th, 2003, 07:29 PM
I watched it on CNN yesterday...
She sold 30 MILLION albums of Jagged Little Pill!!!!! :eek: That is so many!
And they also said she is working on another album...
I like Ironic, Uninvited, they are my fave songs from her.

Dahveed
Aug 26th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Well she holds the record of best female solo debut album or something.

Ah yes 'Uninvited', that song is a gem! The live version of the Grammy Awards is amazing.

Randy H
Aug 27th, 2003, 06:38 AM
'Uninvited' is one of my fave songs of all-time, not just of Alanis - she is a great musician and her songs are from the heart and real. She's great :)

Aerien
Aug 27th, 2003, 06:47 AM
I believe the next album will be entitled 'Feast Of Scraps' because these are excess songs that never made it to the previous albums.

Jeff
Aug 27th, 2003, 08:27 AM
I love Alanis! Definetly one of my favorite female artists.

GoDominique
Aug 27th, 2003, 12:08 PM
She is in a slump.

SerialKiller#69
Aug 27th, 2003, 12:53 PM
I believe the next album will be entitled 'Feast Of Scraps' because these are excess songs that never made it to the previous albums.

Feast of Scraps was released already as a DVD last year, i think. She's working on a new album but no release date has been announced yet. There are mp3s of her latest songs recorded in her live shows (unprodigalalanis.com) with song titles like (if i recall correctly) Knees of my Bees, So Called Chaos, 8 Easy Steps, This Grudge, Excuses... These songs are much more well-structured unlike SFIJ which was pretty much psychobabble. Loved SFIJ though.

SerialKiller#69
Aug 27th, 2003, 01:01 PM
She is in a slump.

That slump was more of a decision from Alanis i think. Remember how successful JLP was that it took her so long before deciding she wants to do another album. She was overwhelmed by the whole experience that in my opinion, she decidedly made moves that would not follow the JLP path. SFIJ followed no structure at all. No choruses, no refrains. No 'Ironics', 'You Oughta Knows'. Just practically no hint of JLP. The album of course didn't do as well as JLP.

Dahveed
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:30 PM
That slump was more of a decision from Alanis i think. Remember how successful JLP was that it took her so long before deciding she wants to do another album. She was overwhelmed by the whole experience that in my opinion, she decidedly made moves that would not follow the JLP path. SFIJ followed no structure at all. No choruses, no refrains. No 'Ironics', 'You Oughta Knows'. Just practically no hint of JLP. The album of course didn't do as well as JLP.

Yeah she sold 'only' something like 8 million copies of that one. And yeah all her latests songs are definitely not commercial and this is a choice. I like her discretion.

Feast On Scraps is a DVD and CD with 9 unreleased songs on the previous album. Check out 'Purgatorying' and 'Unprodigal Daughter'.

Now i wish i had sound to hear those new songs, i guess i'll have to find me someone to burn them for me :angel:

SerialKiller#69
Aug 28th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Btw, she's with Ryan Reynolds. ;)

Aerien
Aug 28th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Feast of Scraps was released already as a DVD last year, i think. She's working on a new album but no release date has been announced yet. There are mp3s of her latest songs recorded in her live shows (unprodigalalanis.com) with song titles like (if i recall correctly) Knees of my Bees, So Called Chaos, 8 Easy Steps, This Grudge, Excuses... These songs are much more well-structured unlike SFIJ which was pretty much psychobabble. Loved SFIJ though.

Ohhh thanks.
~hits CNN's The Music Room host for the misinformation.~

splat
Aug 28th, 2003, 01:48 PM
My favourite SFIJ song is definitely "The Couch" which kind of epitomizes what I was saying about the album.

Daniel
Aug 28th, 2003, 02:58 PM
one quesiton: was she or is she going to b e in Peru for a concert???

Martian Willow
Aug 28th, 2003, 03:33 PM
"'It's loike ten t'ousand spoons......when all you need is a noife.'

No.......oironee woulda been if you'd missed out on dinner radder dan use de spoon......but later, it turns out......a spoon would've done...."

Ed Byrne. :cool:

Not a fan myself.

Tanks. :)