PDA

View Full Version : Im so sh*t at writing CV's

Dava
Aug 16th, 2003, 11:01 AM
I dont even know what to write, its no wonder I never get any feedback. :( :sad:

Shedevil
Aug 16th, 2003, 11:12 AM
lol, I'm 16 made my first cv and had no problems.
what have you got so far?

Rothes
Aug 16th, 2003, 11:33 AM
The most important thing is to lie and exaggerate, make up a few references from "other jobs"...

To be serious....I had trouble writing my CV, What I did first was collate my latest School reports/Bursary Tests, Any specific certificates you have (I have a Red Cross First Aid, and a Certificate of Distinction for Community Service, and one for the Salvation Army) Certificates like those are excellent to put in, not only do they show other qualificiations you may have, they also show what form of person you are. My Boss said I was devoted to helping the community and people and that being a voleenteer in many things is a big asset. Put in any sporting awards/certificates you have, showing your activitiy within groups etc (I put in My Volleyball in Handball ones in) Just basicially anything that you thing is valuble for your CV.

Gather past job references you may have, or If you have been employed but don't have a reference, ring up your employer and ask him to write one up.

and on the front cover: you may like to consider your:

*Date -Advisable
*Name-Advisable
*Postion Applied For
*Department
*Brand and Location
*Names
*Contact Details
*Your last 3-5 places you were employyed, How long you were there, and what activities did you partake in
*If you have a Drivers Liscence (to get to work)
*Put down any convictions or any trouble you have been in with the law (they like to see honesty)
*Emergency Contacts
*Health Issues you mah have

These are just some points you may like to consider on your front page.
Good Luck.

Chance
Aug 16th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Are you talking about the format? If so, copy someones CV that you know is good or else buy a "How to do a CV" book

If you are talking about content then either BS, volunteer work, take up some classes and BS some more.

There is always the other option of someone else writing up your CV-for a fee of course.

Dava
Aug 16th, 2003, 12:29 PM
thanks for the help ;)

per4ever
Aug 16th, 2003, 12:30 PM
lol, I'm 16 made my first cv and had no problems.
what have you got so far?
lmao at 16 you have barely something to write down :p

Rothes
Aug 16th, 2003, 12:38 PM
lmao at 16 you have barely something to write down :p

you don't have to have an abundance of information to create a CV. The first CV I produced was as simple as bar of soap. It had Nothing but 2 Certificates (1 Cultural, 1 Sporting) it had my address, and personal details and qualities, form there it just grows.

and what Sunset said..If you don't have much in content, exaggerate what you allready have or tell little white lies, even though lies are a sin, its for beneficial purposes so stuff the bible this time around ;)

If you can't be bothered making one, get someone else to compose and collate you one, even if it costs you, there likley to have been working within human rescources, or in Administration/Reception where there used to processing information and data collating. There likley to ask you questions about you, personal attributes and so on, to which they create the perfect CV with a detailed discription about yourself.

controlfreak
Aug 16th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Hmmm. I think Rothes's CV must be one of those "continental" ones which are 20 pages long, leather-bound, with a full colour A4 photograph of you on the front cover, your life history in minute detail, and some fake arty nude shots in the back just in case. :p

Whereas in other parts of the world, a simple A4 page with your name, address, qualifications and experience will do fine.

Rothes
Aug 16th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Hmmm. I think Rothes's CV must be one of those "continental" ones which are 20 pages long, leather-bound, with a full colour A4 photograph of you on the front cover, your life history in minute detail, and some fake arty nude shots in the back just in case. :p

Whereas in other parts of the world, a simple A4 page with your name, address, qualifications and experience will do fine.

Lmao :D ...I always keep a supply of the "naughties" at the back, just to make sure Im in tops for the job ;) ;) I havn't got the pitcure on the cover yet :D, but what a good Idea, glad I thought of it ;) :p

Actually mine is pretty basic, It does have a Front cover ;) CV, and then latest reports, the important certificates, other emplooyees Information and references, and plus my personal attributes Page, with other personal details/

Rocketta
Aug 16th, 2003, 04:09 PM
I was about to ask the same question that I asked last time what the hell is CV, lol. However, I remembered yawl call your resume's Curriculum Vitaes.

My suggestion go to your local library they will have books on it to copy the form. They should have books that will have them based on your specifik field. I've even seen books for high school students, people without 4 year degrees, nursing, lawyers, beauticians, policeman, etc etc.

controlfreak
Aug 16th, 2003, 07:53 PM
You mean this thread isn't about cardio-vascular workouts? :eek: :o

toreador
Aug 21st, 2003, 04:22 AM
i just saw this thread and i was wondering...dont u learn at school how to write a CV?:confused:

Rothes
Aug 21st, 2003, 04:36 AM
i just saw this thread and i was wondering...dont u learn at school how to write a CV?:confused:

I don't think CV collating is a part of any school cirriculim, Im not to sure, but in some subjects, you do design them. Computer Applications and Computer Classes at schools learnt how to do a CV, Transitional Work and Careers Advisor should also have a basic understanding and knowledge on how to collate a CV.

toreador
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:00 AM
I don't think CV collating is a part of any school cirriculim, Im not to sure, but in some subjects, you do design them. Computer Applications and Computer Classes at schools learnt how to do a CV, Transitional Work and Careers Advisor should also have a basic understanding and knowledge on how to collate a CV.
well i learnt how to do it in my greek language class ;) (+ i did it in another class too)

CamilleVidann
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:03 AM
What the hell is CV? I'm CV as well.

Rothes
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:08 AM
It stands for Cirriculim Vitae (SP)

You basicially use a CV if you are applying for a position, or a career, or have submitted a application to work. A CV gives the employee a general understanding of you and your personality,other jobs, and other interests you may pursue, what you were like at school. From the CV's the employee can make a judgment on who would be suited best for the job, based on peoples qualities, preformances.

Its like your own file, you always keep adding to it, to make it more detailed.

Sleep Head: wow In Greek class did you pass greek or did you just talk about CVs and other things ;) anyway I don't think most classes preform how to collate a CV, They would be shown in workshops or in classes relevant to making a CV

toreador
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:20 AM
It stands for Cirriculim Vitae (SP)

You basicially use a CV if you are applying for a position, or a career, or have submitted a application to work. A CV gives the employee a general understanding of you and your personality,other jobs, and other interests you may pursue, what you were like at school. From the CV's the employee can make a judgment on who would be suited best for the job, based on peoples qualities, preformances.

Its like your own file, you always keep adding to it, to make it more detailed.

Sleep Head: wow In Greek class did you pass greek or did you just talk about CVs and other things ;) anyway I don't think most classes preform how to collate a CV, They would be shown in workshops or in classes relevant to making a CV
there was a lesson where we had to read about CVs and stuff.
But in the other class we had to learn what to write and how *doesnt remember a thing*:D

Tammy
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:25 AM
*cough* *cough*

for the americans:

cv = resume

;)

toreador
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:29 AM
*cough* *cough*

for the americans:

cv = resume

;)
lol

controlfreak
Aug 21st, 2003, 12:26 PM
as in "play will cv when the rain has stopped"?